• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
ME1/ME2 femshep is the best. Receipts for proof.

BAsDWYa.png

9265GXG.png

bAfxlHe.png

This had better be an option.

It was so obvious that Bioware rushed the default femShepard for ME3 after the super embarassing fan poll thing they did. It is unfortunate, because the result is such a huge drop in quality compared to Sheploo.

I still don't understand how they went ahead with this face model in ME3 and now put her in the other two games as well, she looks too cartoony.

ME3 was a rush job and Bioware didn't allocate enough resources or time for making it properly in order to be part of the marketing campaign for default Femshep. The fan poll was part of this campaign and it was so embarrassing to witness.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this has been answeared already, but any news about FoV?
I remember having to use a mod for Mass Effect 3 because the tight fov and bouncing made me feel nauseous but you had to toggle it back during cutscenes, unless you wanted to see characters teleporting in and out and T posing at the edge of the scene.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's already been said, but the reasoning stated during the press call for excluding the multiplayer was due to prioritisation and their own expectations.

Single player was top priority, and they didn't want to port the multiplayer without being able to give it the same attention to detail in remastering, in addition to exploring things like cross play (which they consider an expectation) and progression transfer for players who sunk time into the ME3 build. They also would need to address if it would be ported as is, or if they'd explore continued updates.

They seemed genuinely positive about their thoughts towards the multiplayer, but ultimately decided to cut it as priorities for dev resources became clearer. Animation reworking was another factor; initially on the table, proved to be significantly more work than expected due to archaic tools that easily broke massive chunks of game from otherwise simple changes. Wasn't impossible, but proved to be too much work.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answeared already, but any news about FoV?
I remember having to use a mod for Mass Effect 3 because the tight fov and bouncing made me feel nauseous but you had to toggle it back during cutscenes, unless you wanted to see characters teleporting in and out and T posing at the edge of the scene.
That's actually a good point. You should at least have that option for nex gen consoles.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I hope we can still do the FlyCam and timestop commands to make our own photomode. It was pretty revolutionary back then to be able to have photomode in 2008 for ME1 PC and then with ME2 onwards.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Well Sovereign was a Capital class Reaper while most of the Reapers in their fleet were Destroyer class. Also he's the only Reaper that generally has that whole red lightning thing as I think it only reappears in the Destroy ending in ME3.
The red lightning is just a reaper mass effect field. Different tech bases have different colours (Protheans have green, for example).

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
It was so obvious that Bioware rushed the default femShepard for ME3 after the super embarassing fan poll thing they did. I bet they just put their intern on the job, because the result is such a huge drop in quality compared to Sheploo.

ME3 was a rush job and Bioware probably put their intern on using the character generator to do something unique with it for the marketing campaign for default Femshep. The fan poll was part of this campaign and it was so embarrassing to witness.

It's a hand made model, just not a scanned actor like other major npc. And leave the interne alone for goodness sake even the best artist in world will do subpar job if they don't have enough time.

Nov 2, 2018
I think it's a bad business decision leaving out the multiplayer. It's the sort of thing that is worth including for Mass Effect fans which won't have an alternative any time soon.

Much different to the Uncharted Collection where you don't want say Uncharted 2 MP holdout fans taking away from Uncharted 4

I think it could have done very well - and have set them up a bit better for a future multiplayer game / mode.

That all being said I'm not surprised and I'm still very happy to be getting this. I really wish Fallout 3 and New Vegas would get the same treatment but I don't see that ever happening.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was so obvious that Bioware rushed the default femShepard for ME3 after the super embarassing fan poll thing they did. I bet they just put their intern on the job, because the result is such a huge drop in quality compared to Sheploo.

ME3 was a rush job and Bioware probably put their intern on using the character generator to do something unique with it for the marketing campaign for default Femshep. The fan poll was part of this campaign and it was so embarrassing to witness.
What do you mean! Totally looks like the fan poll winner /s

Screenshot_20210203-213237_Chrome.jpg

The greater travesty for me was that ME2 femshep imports came out way worse then how they looked in ME2.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I was playing around in the ME3 face editor and I think this is my favourite FemShep. As long as something like this is available I will be cool with the Legendary Edition.

tHCrvNa.png

Post your Shepards!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Custom males can not look good in any mass effect.

They are fundamentally broken on a skull level. It's insane

While this is true, I remember with ME3 in particular the character import was broken on launch. From memory fans managed to build a tool or something that'd give you the right face code before BioWare fixed it themselves.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

Any human characters/npc that weren't hand modeled or scanned after real life people look bad (mostly). Custom Shepards look like NPC's, i.e. Traynor from ME3 didn't look that much different from one of my Femsheps.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From memory both male/female imports were broken, especially at launch. ME3's character launcher was busted and the first indicator the game was rushed.
I remember a dev saying somewhere that imports didn't work as well in ME3 because they had to make some changes to the whole thing to include FemShep, so some values weren't the same.

The new unified chargen fixes that problem.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's a hand made model, just not a scanned actor like other major npc. And leave the interne alone for goodness sake even the best artist in world will do subpar job if they don't have enough time.
What do you mean! Totally looks like the fan poll winner /s

The greater travesty for me was that ME2 femshep imports came out way worse then how they looked in ME2.

So on PC at least it probably won't be long until you can play the remastered version with an improved version of the default ME3 femshep face. I say that because there's a mod on PC for the existing games that makes the ME3 default femshep face look a little less wild than it normally does:

178-1590525058-1791690948.jpeg

The lighting in that image maybe isn't the best but compare it to how default ME3 femshep normally looks and it's a night and day difference.

RAQ7WPz.jpg

In this image the top one is the remade ME3 femshep face and the bottom one is the original. (In case you were wondering the person who made this mod also made a mod that let you use ME3 femshep in the first two games)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
While this is true, I remember with ME3 in particular the character import was broken on launch. From memory fans managed to build a tool or something that'd give you the right face code before BioWare fixed it themselves.

They had swapped / removed some options yeah.
The male CC looked like ass before and after so you were kinda forced to play Sheploo anyway.

But the female characters just looked completely different which was funny.
And a problem because that was your only option.

Any human characters/npc that weren't hand modeled or scanned after real life people look bad (mostly). Custom Shepards look like NPC's, i.e. Traynor from ME3 didn't look that much different from one of my Femsheps.

Do you remember when Miranda's twin sister ended up having a CC face ?

Lmao

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So on PC at least it probably won't be long until you can play the remastered version with an improved version of the default ME3 femshep face. I say that because there's a mod on PC for the existing games that makes the ME3 default femshep face look a little less wild than it normally does:

The lighting in that image maybe isn't the best but compare it to how default ME3 femshep normally looks and it's a night and day difference.

RAQ7WPz.jpg

In this image the top one is the remade ME3 femshep face and the bottom one is the original. (In case you were wondering the person who made this mod also made a mod that let you use ME3 femshep in the first two games)
That is very nice, a lot more natural. Hoping for mods now for this plus the happy ending mod.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they fixed Saren's appearance early game where he's got all the Reaper enhancements in the Council meeting and is like ''Geth? Why, I have no idea what you're talking about?''

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that many people that game nowadays were just around 8yo when ME3 came out, that are now 17.

So many people will play this trilogy for the first time with this release...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As I've said, the reasoning for the different styling can be sound as anything, it's an artistic preference, there are no "worse" or "better".
But this is a remaster, not a new game. It's not a product where you go and just change the style to your liking. It has to be close to the original.
They're changing a lot of style - including a significant amount of changes to ME1's gameplay, combat, UI, and inventory system. A selling point is that these elements will NOT be as close to the original as possible.

And it's a single skybox element, which is cracking me up. We're not talking about Tidus's face here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that many people that game nowadays were just around 8yo when ME3 came out, that are now 17.

So many people will play this trilogy for the first time with this release...

If we assume Dragon Age 4 won't launch until 2021/2022, and so Mass Effect Next won't launch until 2024/2025, there will be people turning 17 and 18 driving to pick it up who were only just born the year the first Mass Effect came out.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
They're changing a lot of style - including a significant amount of changes to ME1's gameplay, combat, UI, and inventory system. A selling point is that these elements will NOT be as close to the original as possible.

And it's a single skybox element, which is cracking me up. We're not talking about Tidus's face here.
So you're gonna laugh at people unhappy with the changed Eden Prime and then instantly act like Tidus' face change was all that big? 😂

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
On EA choosing the ME3 femshep model as the default model for ME1/ME2.

No, no, noooooo, nope.

ME1/ME2 femshep is the best. Receipts for proof.

BAsDWYa.png

9265GXG.png

bAfxlHe.png

This had better be an option.

The ME1 FemShep is still my favorite, she looks the most naturalistic. It's crazy how stylized her ME3 model is in comparison to the rest of the cast across the trilogy, even ME3 Ashley.

I don't mind how FemShep looks in the promo art (thought a little make-up heavy), it just didn't translate well to an in-game model.

1348702590.99.jpg

I loved how both FemShep and Ashley looked in the CGI trailer, though, even with the heavy eye make-up. Ashley looks great in general, even without her trademark hair bun.
maxresdefault.jpg

Poor Bioware. "We give you this gorgeous remaster, and you're going on about FemShep's ME3 face?" It's an old wound that has never healed, Bioware!

Always went with Sheploo* because of this. It was impossible to make a MaleShepard that looked good.

*There's a word that sound weird out of context, lol.

OzPrime

Oct 29, 2017

RAQ7WPz.jpg

She looks like one part Elle (Last of Us) and one part Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

Gameplay, combat and inventory system are not "style". UI to a degree maybe but this is mostly a functional design which changes with times as UI/UX have a tendency to progress with technology.
And yes, Tidus's face being changed would be a similar issue to the change of styling on Eden Prime. I don't see why these would be any different.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gameplay, combat and inventory system are not "style". UI to a degree maybe but this is mostly a functional design which changes with times as UI/UX have a tendency to progress with technology.
And yes, Tidus's face being changed would be a similar issue to the change of styling on Eden Prime. I don't see why these would be any different.
As a developer, I'll disagree. Gameplay, combat, and inventory absolutely contribute to a style. I've had so many long discussions on stuff like this.

And, yes, it's different, because Tidus is the MAIN CHARACTER and you see his face for the majority of your 100+ adventure. Not a single skybox seen for as shortly as 15 minutes that you leave behind.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
As a developer, I'll disagree. Gameplay, combat, and inventory absolutely contribute to a style. I've had so many long discussions on stuff like this.

And, yes, it's different, because Tidus is the MAIN CHARACTER and you see his face for the majority of your 100+ adventure. Not a single skybox seen for as shortly as 15 minutes that you leave behind.

He is wrong anyway. Tidus isnt just hideous, they destroyed the facial animations entirely as well so none of the characters emote properly. Insanity of a botched job.

Status
Not open for further replies.