• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wonder if I can integrate alternate ending mods like this one to the remastered version. I guess not, but hopefully it'll be possible to port it because I'll never be able to go back to the default ending after playing through them.

The modding community is just amazing.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well Sovereign wasn't exactly a typical Reaper so them trying to retroactively force him into the style of the later Reapers feels like a severe mistake.
I guess, but then you have to explain why he'd turn the sky red, how that even works, etc etc etc. If I'm approaching this and my focus is on consistency of canon throughout all 3 games, I get the decision to just be like "change the skybox."

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I guess, but then you have to explain why he'd turn the sky red, how that even works, etc etc etc. If I'm approaching this and my focus is on consistency of canon throughout all 3 games, I get the decision to just be like "change the skybox."
Just throw a line into the codex. It's not like this was a serious question people were asking before this reveal today.

There's a lot bigger issues involving consistency between the three games than something minor like Eden Prime's skybox. God knows the arguments that were had about the ammo development in ME2. Yet somehow I doubt there's going to be ammo in ME1.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just throw a line into the codex. It's not like this was a serious question people were asking before this reveal today.
Sure, I guess.

All I'm really trying to say is that I get why they did it and I think it's a fair enough reason that I don't really feel like it's worth getting upset about.
I wonder if I can integrate alternate ending mods like this one to the remastered version. I guess not, but hopefully it'll be possible to port it because I'll never be able to go back to the default ending after playing through them.

Never say die, but given that we've gotten a teaser for the next game of an older Liara finding a ruined piece of Shepard's armor I wouldn't count on the happy ending mod in particular. And in general, taking nods from fan content is a great way to introduce legal issues for yourself down the line. I know some places don't even let their workers see (or admit to seeing) fan content precisely to avoid problems like that.

I do think the ending might get tweaked a little, so that they can set up one canon version, but that's about it.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sure, I guess.

All I'm really trying to say is that I get why they did it and I think it's a fair enough reason that I don't really feel like it's worth getting upset about.
I will never agree with the idea of trading something like atmosphere or tone just to make something canon, unless it's amazingly stupid and even then it can still be worth it. I feel like the game developers agreed with that idea as well in that they were interested in making the best possible game and forced the other stuff to work around that.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on non-graphical changes to MEs 2 and 3?

On that note: weapon holstering finally being added to ME 3?

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got excited for a hot minute then remembered the endings and got depressed again, will wait until maybe ME4 somehow explains them.

Its a personal thing, but I just hate all 3(4), maybe someone can help me out here:

Why does destroy only get the breath? I'd never choose it cause I worked to understand and ally with Geth/EDI proving the reapers wrong, destroy is admitting they are right, hate it!
Control weird subservient and evil choice, neither my paragon nor renegade Shep would ever choose it and no breath scene to encourage hope.
Synthesis is magically dumb BS, are rocks now half organic? If a Half organic Geth mines minerals and makes a new robot how does it become organic? So silly and noway ME4 addresses it.
No deal is just massively depressing and pointless.

Please someone help me be okay with one of them, cause I love the games so much up until then. But yeah hoping 4 fixes it somehow, nfi how but yeah.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
There's no fixing the stupid lens flare, unfortunately.
I really dislike that they've given every scene a strong yellow/green tint, so I removed it. I prefer it without.

QFVmsAK.jpg
I don't have a problem with the lens flare, but I do prefer colors here. It'd be nice if the actual game could get these changes before it comes out, though I guess it's too late.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Any word on non-graphical changes to MEs 2 and 3?

On that note: weapon holstering finally being added to ME 3?

New character customization options, controller support if you play on PC, and some really light bug fixes. I think that's pretty much it. Maybe some weapon balancing? I thought I heard that but that might have just been ME1.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Always wanted to play these games back in the day, but never had the time, seems that this is IT.
Can someone tell me how much time each game needs to complete the Single Player story?

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Always wanted to play these games back in the day, but never had the time, seems that this is IT.
Can someone tell me how much time each game needs to complete the Single Player story?

Doing *everything* in ME1 (every mission, every collectable etc.) takes ~30 hours. ME2 and ME3 (without DLCs) are about the same length.

Oct 28, 2017
This looks amazing! I have the trilogy in my backlog. Glad I never got around to playing them. Who am I kidding. I'm probably not going to have the time to play this either...

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
A fellow user pointed me out the BioWare left the Multiplayer from Mass Effect 3 out because it's "out of the scope of the remaster".

I wonder, what scope is that? They are selling this for 60€, and it's not like the franchise has been treated well this last generation. It deserves a good product, or at least not a half assed one (once again, from my opinion and impressions on the limited content shown).

This really feels like a very mediocre effort, in my opinion, and the visual liberties they are taking on Mass Effects' Eden Prime do not help either.

Jul 24, 2018
Got excited for a hot minute then remembered the endings and got depressed again, will wait until maybe ME4 somehow explains them.

Its a personal thing, but I just hate all 3(4), maybe someone can help me out here:

Why does destroy only get the breath? I'd never choose it cause I worked to understand and ally with Geth/EDI proving the reapers wrong, destroy is admitting they are right, hate it!
Control weird subservient and evil choice, neither my paragon nor renegade Shep would ever choose it and no breath scene to encourage hope.
Synthesis is magically dumb BS, are rocks now half organic? If a Half organic Geth mines minerals and makes a new robot how does it become organic? So silly and noway ME4 addresses it.

Please someone help me be okay with one of them, cause I love the games so much up until then. But yeah hoping 4 fixes it somehow, nfi how but yeah.
Destroy is the only ending where Shepard doesn't get disintegrated, in Control she merges with the Reapers and in Synthesis her mechanical and human body is used as a base for the whole process.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well Sovereign wasn't exactly a typical Reaper so them trying to retroactively force him into the style of the later Reapers feels like a severe mistake.
How so? I'm not sure I recall any references to it being different from the rest, other than basically being a Reaper 'scout' so to speak, to trigger the rest.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Really hope they fix the issue with the character always holding their weapon in 3. From what I remember they said it was a memory limitation at the time.

Seriously one of my biggest wishes with this new remaster hahaha.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Tried to grab as high res as I could from the trailer and 4K playthroughs of the original games. OG ME has heavy motion blur in cutscenes so it's super hard to get a perfect still shot.

4xmk2h.png

Do the people in charge of the remaster just really dislike the color red or something? This is just like Eden Prime, it's too much of an artistic change that it alters the mood and original art style. Here's a proper screencap of that scene without the motion blur:

qisxkxz.jpg

Last edited:

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Destroy is the only ending where Shepard doesn't get disintegrated, in Control she merges with the Reapers and in Synthesis her mechanical and human body is used as a base for the whole process.
Yeah sorry that came out as that I'd be okay with the others if they had the breath, I wouldn't be for any of them due to the other reasons I mention, all of them terrible in different ways that either completely go against the themes of the rest of the game or are just so nonsensica.
I've read hundreds of ending explanations and takeaways and never once been swayed on this, one day though hopefully, maybe with how it feels as a lead up to 4.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying, what else I've scene paints it as a something that gets more sinister and freaky the closer you get to it.

I can't speak for the team, but I know that decisions like this could be for many reasons. As a level designer, I can easily see a lighter skybox letting things like the smoke and fire effects stand out more clearly, or showcasing other elements that are more easily readable against a differently hued backdrop.

Or, heck, thematically I think that being told Eden Prime is this human paradise makes the presence of a horrifying thing amongst such beauty even more horrifying than if it was just a horrifying thing in a horrifying atmosphere where none of the beauty could be taken in. I enjoy that contrast more.
As I've said, the reasoning for the different styling can be sound as anything, it's an artistic preference, there are no "worse" or "better".
But this is a remaster, not a new game. It's not a product where you go and just change the style to your liking. It has to be close to the original.

Do the people in charge of the remaster just really dislike the color red or something? This is just like Eden Prime, it's too much of an artistic change that it alters the mood and original art style. Here's a proper screencap of that scene without the motion blur:
This one can at least be attributed to physically better volumetric lighting.

Last edited:

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I've played through all of these when they were originally released and to say I'm hyped to do it all again is an understatement.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
How so? I'm not sure I recall any references to it being different from the rest, other than basically being a Reaper 'scout' so to speak, to trigger the rest.
Well Sovereign was a Capital class Reaper while most of the Reapers in their fleet were Destroyer class. Also he's the only Reaper that generally has that whole red lightning thing as I think it only reappears in the Destroy ending in ME3.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not a huge fan of the visual/atmospheric changes either and the lens flares especially look just awful, but I'm super excited about replaying the trilogy. Or at least the first two games.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
ME2 is in my top 5, maybe even top 3, I probably played through it about 8-10 times. 1 is incredible as well but I remember 1 and 3 a lot less. I haven't played any of them for years.

Yes please to a decent remaster.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

Since this is UE3 once again, I imagine that it will be possible. If the MEtools can be ported over easily enough to the remaster, then the existing mods shouldn't be too much trouble to be compatible.

I also agree, the MEHEM ending is a million times better and ends the trilogy in a much nicer way. Predictable and sweet, perhaps, but still a million times better than the anti-climactic one we got.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
A fellow user pointed me out the BioWare left the Multiplayer from Mass Effect 3 out because it's "out of the scope of the remaster".

I wonder, what scope is that? They are selling this for 60€, and it's not like the franchise has been treated well this last generation. It deserves a good product, or at least not a half assed one (once again, from my opinion and impressions on the limited content shown).

This really feels like a very mediocre effort, in my opinion, and the visual liberties they are taking on Mass Effects' Eden Prime do not help either.
Lucy James mentioned in her Gamespot video that including the MP suite would be the same amount of work as they have put into the ME1 remaster, so they decided against it early in development.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Ah, my bad!

Ahhh, I'm dumb. Yeah, so Sovereign isn't different? I'm not a fan of the Eden Prime change either way, but whatever, right? I think the Reaper lore all became a bit weird anyway when they began to describe how they were created & rationalize the ME2 final boss etc.
We don't know. It certainly seems reasonable to assume that Sovereign was probably a high-ranking reaper, if such a thing exists.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Lucy James mentioned in her Gamespot video that including the MP suite would be the same amount of work as they have put into the ME1 remaster, so they decided against it early in development.

I was on this media call as well and they basically said that, y'know, functionally the multiplayer is a whole other game. There's some shared assets and stuff, but it's very unique, and that's a lot of it, especially with all the DLC they added over time. So, yeah, they made a call based on how much time and how many resources they said.

Similarly: they thought about changing the animations, updating them, but they discovered that tweaking one iffy animation would often have a cascading effect, breaking ten other things... and just within one game, so then you have to multiply that by three. So they decided to leave animations as-is and focus on other areas of improvement.

ME3 multiplayer being left out does suck a little bit, but also we have to understand as an audience I think that there are limits to what is possible and reasonable with the budget a re-release like this will have, and multiplayer was probably a bridge too far. It is strange in a way as ME3 MP was hugely profitable thanks to the microtransactions and if it saw a revival, EA would probably stand to make money, but maybe they didn't see it being nearly as popular 9 years on.

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah sorry that came out as that I'd be okay with the others if they had the breath, I wouldn't be for any of them due to the other reasons I mention, all of them terrible in different ways that either completely go against the themes of the rest of the game or are just so nonsensica.
I've read hundreds of ending explanations and takeaways and never once been swayed on this, one day though hopefully, maybe with how it feels as a lead up to 4.
Yeah I never said the ending was good just that Destroy is the only one where Shepard supposedly Gets to live.
The reason the ending feels disjointed is because the series has undergone several rewrites, different writers, and as I understand it the ending was something they just conjured up near the end of development.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to avoid getting new games this year, as much as I can, because my backlog is huge and I would benefit immensely from not spending a fortune on games I won't play...

... but I already pre-ordered this game. I've been wanting to get back into the ME universe and this is the perfect excuse to do a female Shephard run through the trilogy to get all the Platinums :)

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I was on this media call as well and they basically said that, y'know, functionally the multiplayer is a whole other game. There's some shared assets and stuff, but it's very unique, and that's a lot of it, especially with all the DLC they added over time. So, yeah, they made a call based on how much time and how many resources they said.

Similarly: they thought about changing the animations, updating them, but they discovered that tweaking one iffy animation would often have a cascading effect, breaking ten other things... and just within one game, so then you have to multiply that by three. So they decided to leave animations as-is and focus on other areas of improvement.

ME3 multiplayer being left out does suck a little bit, but also we have to understand as an audience I think that there are limits to what is possible and reasonable with the budget a re-release like this will have, and multiplayer was probably a bridge too far. It is strange in a way as ME3 MP was hugely profitable thanks to the microtransactions and if it saw a revival, EA would probably stand to make money, but maybe they didn't see it being nearly as popular 9 years on.

That's the only disappointing thing about the package for me. That MP was really fun and I would have been fine with them monetizing it in some way to try make back the cost although I understand that may have looked a bit greedy to some. Since EA is so into live service I think that fits their model well although yeah, based on projections, it probably depends on what numbers they projected to sell and then what percent of those people would actually play the mp. But it seems like a missed opportunity especially for what is basically a love letter to fans who loved the original franchise.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
On EA choosing the ME3 femshep model as the default model for ME1/ME2.

No, no, noooooo, nope.

ME1/ME2 femshep is the best. Receipts for proof.

BAsDWYa.png

9265GXG.png

bAfxlHe.png

This had better be an option.

I still don't understand how they went ahead with this face model in ME3 and now put her in the other two games as well, she looks too cartoony.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Sovereign was a Capital class Reaper while most of the Reapers in their fleet were Destroyer class. Also he's the only Reaper that generally has that whole red lightning thing as I think it only reappears in the Destroy ending in ME3.
The Destroyer class are the little one's.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I never said the ending was good just that Destroy is the only one where Shepard supposedly Gets to live.
The reason the ending feels disjointed is because the series has undergone several rewrites, different writers, and as I understand it the ending was something they just conjured up near the end of development.
Haha, yeah read something once about the whole dark matter original plot, way better and doesn't invalidate all the nuance with AI throughout like the last minute reaper motivation does. My very first reaction playing it 8 years ago was "wait, does every other galaxy have their own Reapers that do the same thing?" I figure they must of fell in love with their silly ironic plot idea of creations destroying their creators so much so that they didn't see how stupid it is:

images

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
That's the only disappointing thing about the package for me. That MP was really fun and I would have been fine with them monetizing it in some way to try make back the cost although I understand that may have looked a bit greedy to some. Since EA is so into live service I think that fits their model well although yeah, based on projections, it probably depends on what numbers they projected to sell and then what percent of those people would actually play the mp. But it seems like a missed opportunity especially for what is basically a love letter to fans who loved the original franchise.

EA needed nearly an entire generation to be convinced to jump on the remaster bandwagon and they have mostly been straight port with slight texture upgrade. It's probably their biggest budget remaster even if it probably still tiny, at least they made more of an effort than they did for big IP like Burnout and NFS.

Haha, yeah read something once about the whole dark matter original plot, way better and doesn't invalidate all the nuance with AI throughout like the last minute reaper motivation does. My very first reaction playing it 8 years ago was "wait, does every other galaxy have their own Reapers that do the same thing?" I figure they must of fell in love with their silly ironic plot idea of creations destroying their creators so much so that they didn't see how stupid it is:

images

Dark matter tech is going to kill the universe so here some dark matter tech to use to make things worst. Make about as much sense as that meme ( and you can make any plot sounds stupid with a meme if you want to)

Last edited:

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would have been fine if they didn't fix or update the multiplayer at all and just chucked it in there as is.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

I only accept the one where you
actively refuse to play into the colored endings, and shoot the "catalyst boy" or talk your way out of choosing, and then the reapers win and it all goes to shit. I don't remember the specifics (I think Liara makes a device with info on what is happening and hides it in some planet / space) but that's basically what happens and the only thing I could actually believe out of the options they gave. This wasn't possible in the vanilla game, until it was patched with the "enhanced" endings btw. And... it's my headcanon. Fuck that universe, there's no salvation, we did everything we could, we fought against the impossible... and lost. But the ride was worth it.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
EA needed nearly an entire generation to be convinced to jump on the remaster bandwagon and they have mostly been straight port with slight texture upgrade. It's probably their biggest budget remaster even if it probably still tiny, at least they made more of an effort than they did for big IP like Burnout and NFS.

Dark matter tech is going to kill the universe so here some dark matter tech to use to make things worst. Make about as much sense as that meme

Yeah Dark Matter as it was presented was just as bad if not worse.

Plus that meme was incorrect then, and Is incorrect now.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Dark matter tech is going to kill the universe so here some dark matter tech to use to make things worst. Make about as much sense as that meme
Idk felt more of an unintended consequence which fits better for me, and less of a localised sentient life threat which makes the finality of Reapers more fitting. And only knowing the tease of it I would hope they would stick the landing with endings thematically appropriate for Shepard, of course they could done that with AI too but they didn't. Seriously best ending shoulda been due to major choices throughout resulting in more lives saved then come down to a trust Edi/Geth or Destroy imo, cathartic for those that put in the time across all games.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, I just realized there is no new gen version. Weird choice but I will still get the PS4 version to play on the PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.