• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So it will suddenly be in the same style as the original in motion somehow?
And I may have not seen the rest of the scene but the guy who made _comparative screenshots_ probably have. Why would he make such comparison if there's a better one, somewhere in this scene or, I dunno, in motion?
I'm saying, what else I've scene paints it as a something that gets more sinister and freaky the closer you get to it.

I can't speak for the team, but I know that decisions like this could be for many reasons. As a level designer, I can easily see a lighter skybox letting things like the smoke and fire effects stand out more clearly, or showcasing other elements that are more easily readable against a differently hued backdrop.

Or, heck, thematically I think that being told Eden Prime is this human paradise makes the presence of a horrifying thing amongst such beauty even more horrifying than if it was just a horrifying thing in a horrifying atmosphere where none of the beauty could be taken in. I enjoy that contrast more.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if saves will carry over? I only need to finish mass effect three, don't feel like going through the first two just to make my choices count again.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like at that point why not just get 3 for way cheaper?
probably can add some mods to it too to help out with the visuals.
It's because I won't get around to playing three for a few months, so I might as well play the remastered edition. I have three already so it's not a matter of buying it again, I'd like to play with the upgrades and my original save.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying, what else I've scene paints it as a something that gets more sinister and freaky the closer you get to it.

I can't speak for the team, but I know that decisions like this could be for many reasons. As a level designer, I can easily see a lighter skybox letting things like the smoke and fire effects stand out more clearly, or showcasing other elements that are more easily readable against a differently hued backdrop.

Or, heck, thematically I think that being told Eden Prime is this human paradise makes the presence of a horrifying thing amongst such beauty even more horrifying than if it was just a horrifying thing in a horrifying atmosphere where none of the beauty could be taken in. I enjoy that contrast more.
You make a great point. I agree. Sovereign looks way more intimidating because of that contrast for new players.

Oct 27, 2017
Given the the storage requirements for PC are over 100+ GB, I will await the eventual news telling us the physical console editions only have 1 game on disc and require a 70GB day one patch in order to play.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
There's no fixing the stupid lens flare, unfortunately.
I really dislike that they've given every scene a strong yellow/green tint, so I removed it. I prefer it without.

QFVmsAK.jpg

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
High quality 4K trailer screencaps. One of the best remasters I've seen.

vI2eiEt.jpg

7d0vcxU.jpg

1YvIAhp.jpg

Vlo4az2.jpg

FVBc4iD.jpg

TAO0OPy.jpg

ag7L6wP.jpg

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
do you think edi is still going to have her, well, you know, wardrobe malfunction in ME3

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
the ME trilogy was already great looking, idk if it's because I played through the series recently, but i'm not noticing such a big update

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see the reflections in the Illusive Man's room are much higher resolution. I wonder if they'll add the reflection back in 3? Doubtful, but it would be neat.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually super anal and sensitive towards aesthetic changes in remasters/remakes if it loses the tone of the original direction, but I just don't think I care as much in this case. I think the striking red sunset and arguably implied dust kick up of Eden Prime gives the planet this otherworldly, alien and dangerous feel, which acts as a phenomenal introduction to a game that is all about exploring the galaxy. It's a perfect kickstart, helping convey the idea that you're a stranger in a strange world, and not on Just Another Earth, instantly separates the tone of the game from other scifis, and provides an aggressive tonal backdrop to the introduction of Sovereign. The blast of sequence is big, mean, loud, and aggressive, due in part not just Sovereign's red lightning but the murderous red backdrop. And yes, I think something will be lost by muting or excluding this, and it is a wee bit out of touch with how Eden Prime was initially presented.

But I've also played through ME1 more times than I can count, with and without mods. I've played through ME2 and ME3 multiple times. I've suck hundreds upon hundreds of hours into the trilogy. I've read all the comics, all the books. I've bought and played through every single piece of DLC, from the larger mission arcs to the piecemeal armour skins. And while I should be primed (pun intended) to be upset about aesthetic choices, the fact I'm so intimately familiar with the series makes me happy to make open to whatever aesthetic revisions and changes they want, even if they're not to my preference.

I'm past the point of caring, I guess, because the thing is these are not remakes. They're remasters with varying degrees of touch ups. I have, in an abstract sense, already played "remastered" versions of these games thanks to the plethora of extremely high quality texture mods and engine tweaks. When I see Thane here with super detailed texture I think it looks fantastic, but I already did a playthrough with this via a fan mod that was just as impressive. If these were remakes, as in an intent to elevate all three games up to a truly modern standard from top to bottom, rebuilding and recrafting every asset and environment, I'd probably be significantly more fickle about what might be lost in aesthetic changes since I'd be anticipating such enormous quality updates and anxious about something being lost in translation (as it often is). Like I adore Demon's Souls, I think it's outstandingly beautiful, but I also don't agree with every aesthetic change BluePoint made.

This is really just a souped up riff on games I'm already intimate with. There's no new animations. They haven't totally remodelled everything. They haven't ported the game over to a more modern engine and rebuilt all the lighting, shadows, and shaders for it. It's BioWare riffing on their own game, a game of which I've played through so many times I know like the back of my hand. Despite these changes it's still going to feel like the original I know and love, instead of something vastly different in vision and imagination despite technical upgrades, and so for that reason I don't really find myself fussed about Eden Prime's sky change or other aesthetic and tonal tweaks. It is what it is.

Nice to see the reflections in the Illusive Man's room are much higher resolution. I wonder if they'll add the reflection back in 3? Doubtful, but it would be neat.

The new builds are full of reflections, as the engine and pipeline are so old they were able to get away with a foreword rendering double-the-environment approach to a lot of reflections. Rather than using screen space or ray tracing. The citadel for example has some reflective surfaces that'll appropriately reflect the entire environment.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm scared they are going to ruin the first game (my favorite of the three), changing it from an RPG into a cover-shooter like ME2, with all the talk of "improving" and "rebalancing" combat and lessening the differences between the classes.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I'm scared they are going to ruin the first game (my favorite of the three), changing it from an RPG into a cover-shooter like ME2, with all the talk of "improving" and "rebalancing" combat and lessening the differences between the classes.
lessening the differences between the classes.
Bruh they're just making it so you can still aim down the sights of all the weapons Shepard can carry and nothing more,

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
There's no fixing the stupid lens flare, unfortunately.
I really dislike that they've given every scene a strong yellow/green tint, so I removed it. I prefer it without.

QFVmsAK.jpg
Wow. Those are big improvements you made with the colors. Look much better and retain the original mood.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh they're just making it so you can still aim down the sights of all the weapons Shepard can carry and nothing more,
They are removing the class weapon restrictions and penalties, rebalancing all the weapons, changing boss fights, making enemies smarter, making you have more reliance on your squadmates. They said it is making it more like ME2 and 3, and would be like playing an all new game.

Oh, and I just read from another site (Gamespot), they are doing specific work on cover shooting in ME1, making enemies and NPCs better at using cover, adding more cover points for you to use. It really sounds like they are trying to turn ME1 into 2.

Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that the Ilos statues will be replaced with new Promethean designs as it seems like continuity is one thing they're focused on here (Femshep, Eden Prime changes). Same goes for the beacon message.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Oh golly gosh I hope they kept the immersive shooting from ME1

I like my experienced military professionals to shoot like they've had seven whiskeys myself. Just feels right.

And if I have to run into a wall to take cover, sometimes failing to do so and getting shot to pieces? Even better.

THE GOOD OL' DAYS

Apr 24, 2018
Played a decent amount of ME2 before my PS3 got YLOD. Barely played the original and never touched 3. Really excited to be able to check out the trilogy in full, at long last!

Oct 25, 2017
ME 1 is my favourite game of all time, so tweaking the art style, HUD, or gameplay was never going to be a positive thing in my book. I had a hard time imagining a remake/remaster that stayed true enough to the original for me to really be interested, so I'm not surprised that this doesn't really appeal to me. ME2/3 were alright in my book, but I don't really have any desire to play through those games again.

Hearing about the remaster does make me want to replay the original ME1 again, though.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
ME1 combat and UI was atrocious and I can't help but feel that everybody saying they're going to resent them changing it (fixing it, really) are from an alternate reality, like the Bearenstein/Berenstein people.

The Eden Prime sky, like I said, was pretty obviously meant to be a thing that was there because of Sovereign's presence, but ME3 showed us a bunch of reapers on the ground and none of them did the same thing, so... yeah. Do I like it as much, no, but c'est la vie. Every other comparison shot has looked way better, IMO.

Though I will admit a certain fondness for the crushed black shadows on the old Illusive Man.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apoligies if this has already been answered but I couldn't find anything on it when searching.

Has EA or Bioware mentioned anything about getting the updates for free on PC if you already own them on Origin?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that the Ilos statues will be replaced with new Promethean designs as it seems like continuity is one thing they're focused on here (Femshep, Eden Prime changes). Same goes for the beacon message.
It would be really interesting to see how they redesign those statues to resemble the final design of the Protheans. It's kind of funny how the old statues resembled Husks, but BioWare has previously said they were indeed depicting Protheans and that the design was intentionally vague because they hadn't settled on what they'd look like yet. So it's quite a bit of a mess lore-wise, and since they've made new assets for the remaster, I wish they'd redesign these too.

Apoligies if this has already been answered but I couldn't find anything on it when searching.

Has EA or Bioware mentioned anything about getting the updates for free on PC if you already own them on Origin?

No such thing, it seems. The best you can get is a discount on Steam if you have ME3 there.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've played the 360 version of ME1 so many times, the idea of playing it with new art is very exciting. Even if I don't end up loving all the changes, I'm glad we're getting a new version to experience.

The original's UI is very late Xbox/early 360 looking. I have a nostalgic fondness for it, but updating it is absolutely the right call. While I never did love the look of the ME2/3 style health/shields bar, I get why they're using it.

I do still hope the original gets a 4K resolution boost through Xbox BC, though.

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
According to Javik in me3 the statues on ilos were of a race from a previous cycle, the Inusannon.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
ME1 combat and UI was atrocious and I can't help but feel that everybody saying they're going to resent them changing it (fixing it, really) are from an alternate reality, like the Bearenstein/Berenstein people.

The Eden Prime sky, like I said, was pretty obviously meant to be a thing that was there because of Sovereign's presence, but ME3 showed us a bunch of reapers on the ground and none of them did the same thing, so... yeah. Do I like it as much, no, but c'est la vie. Every other comparison shot has looked way better, IMO.

Though I will admit a certain fondness for the crushed black shadows on the old Illusive Man.
Well Sovereign wasn't exactly a typical Reaper so them trying to retroactively force him into the style of the later Reapers feels like a severe mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.