• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There are no "sense" in art direction. One is valid, another one is valid too.
The change itself though is what makes little sense as changing the art direction of a game which was mostly praised for it is a bewildering decision on part of Bioware.
Virmire's sky is also this boring grey instead of a light purple. It makes me feel they didn't talk much with the original art team.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt the only good reason for Pinnacle Station just to get some extra XP to get closer to the max level to port that to ME2 in a single save and maybe a challenge?(not sure about there being a challenge or not, I havent played ME1 in ages)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The changes to the first game are stark, holy hell.

Aside from a facelift, I'm not really seeing how. They said that they improved the "shooting", but that was only part of the issue with the combat in the first game, and it was serviceable enough. Having it look more consistent with the next two games is nice, but it needed a lot more than just that.

Dec 25, 2018
un51b2dgwzl51.jpg
Yep lots of photos of the Cali and Australia fires last year showing places drenched in shades of orange and Red.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Aside from a facelift, I'm not really seeing how. They said that they improved the "shooting", but that was only part of the issue with the combat in the first game, and it was serviceable enough. Having it look more consistent with the next two games is nice, but it needed a lot more than just that.
Eh, ME1 is jank and will always be jank apart from completely rehauling the combat system and level design. Asking for them to redo most of the game is too much for a general remaster. There's also people like me who like ME1's combat despite it being jank.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, ME1 is jank and will always be jank apart from completely rehauling the combat system and level design. Asking for them to redo most of the game is too much for a general remaster. There's also people like me who like ME1's combat despite it being jank.

Right, which is why it should have been more than just a remaster. The only way I actually found the combat to be remotely fun in the first game was with a heavy biotic use. Mainly because that involved ragdolling enemies and pretty much bypassing anything involved with weapons.

This kind of stuff has been available for years on PC. About the best reason I can think of to even grab it for PC is because of laziness. Won't have to reinstall all of the DLC, won't have to reinstall all of the texture mods and won't have to constantly move/remove the files for the controller mod whenever you want to switch between the two modes. Plus, having native controller support might actually feel better than what the mod did. Aside from that though, it's pretty disappointing for those playing on PC. I get the hype for those who have always stuck with the console versions, but I gave up on that shit after eight hours on the 360.

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
What happened to the specular texture
Nothing as stated in the preview they moved the sun position to make it more dramatic so now the cutscnene is no longer in direct sunlight. Plus it looks like the fake ligt source on the side got removed too. It look like for a more realistic lighting like current have unlike the super contrasty and statured of the original trilogy. Making thing look good in HDR is probably a reason to remove the crushed black of ME2/3
Changing lighting in a remaster is always a very risky move, it such a subjective thing and one change can a cascade of consequences

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I'm sure this has been addressed already but is this the same scene? If so, these are the kind of changes I don't like in remasters. Making things brighter and taking away the red sky doesn't look better. I'll have to skim the thread.

And as much as I would like to replay ME 1, knowing how it all ends in 3 really makes me not interested in this. Unless they actually changed the end, I'll likely skip this. 3 was disappointing in many ways to me more than just the bullshit ending and that drags down my excitement for this.

Nov 5, 2017
It looks the same to me...ME 2 and ME 3, at least. I can see some significant changes in ME 1, but that game aged poorly to begin with so it makes sense that the remaster made it look significantly better.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Nothing as stated in the preview they moved the sun position to make it more dramatic so now the cutscnene is no longer in direct sunlight. Plus it looks like the fake ligt source on the side got removed too. It look like for a more realistic lighting like current have unlike the super contrasty and statured of the original trilogy. Making thing look good in HDR is probably a reason to remove the crushed black of ME2/3
Changing lighting in a remaster is always a very risky move, it such a subjective thing and one change can a cascade of consequences
Just by looking at the screenshot. Think I prefer the more stylized look of the original. The new lighting may be more "realistic". But I don't think the older models and materials can take full advantage of it. And I don't think they have enough manpower to make it try and work better than the original stylized lighting.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I never played ME3 (just watched my ex-wife play through it), so I'm all in for this release. Really looking forward to it!

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Virmire's sky is also this boring grey instead of a light purple. It makes me feel they didn't talk much with the original art team.
They literally mentioned they had the original level designers go back over the old areas and spruce them up to their satisfaction.

They're talking about adding a ton of new chaos, destruction, flame, plumes of smoke and ash, etc. to Eden Prime. I think that's going to look better in the new version, especially in motion.

Oct 27, 2017
About the red sky discussion (if it makes sense/realistic or not).

4k, vanilla ME1 (no mods) screenshots taken by me

As soon as you land on Eden Prime

TZDCtwJ.png

and where the Reaper takes off

gWsHzYW.png

C18unK2.png

Remaster version

EtO57CEXEAkMd9X

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The sky can turn red without a massive fire. It's dependent on you're perspective. I have experience with this as a firefighter but also as a human being who has seen the sky color change with the dawn and sunset.

Your post makes it pretty clear you imagined the sky was a thing that existed well above sovereign rather than all around. This is a ridiculous idea. I was trying to be polite before, but you are doubling down on a foolish argument.
I mentioned how far above Sovereign the sky would be because there isn't enough destruction on Eden Prime to justify a completely red sky everywhere you looked and Sovereign isn't near the clouds or big enough to send red lights reflecting on clouds everywhere. That red sky in Eden Prime was neither fire nor sunset, because the sun wasn't near the horizon. The time of day or the attack on Eden Prime don't cause a completely red sky.

Which is why I brought up the possibility that the red sky was BioWare's attempt to convey the destruction in on particular place of Eden Prime in a time where particles and volumetric fog wasn't as prevalent in games as they are nowadays. It's not the planet's atmosphere, it's just destruction, which is exaggerated because they wanted to drive the point home that Eden Prime was in distress. A realistic sky can be just as effective with new graphics tech. Both make sense.

And that was it.
It wasn't a technical limitation. It's absolutely insane that a person could think that was a technical limitation. They absolutely did that intentionally for atmosphere reasons. It's not supposed to look like a day in the tropics.

Also here's the main point. Who cares whether it's them sticking to 'canon'? That seems to be missing the point. If they wanted consistency with later games just throw a quick line in the codex explaining that Sovereign colored Prime's sky as red that day. Defending this change because it's 'canon' is pretty weak when it could be explained via any number of separate sources.

The red sky was there for atmosphere and to make Sovereign's intro memorable.
How is that absolutely insane? Games are made of countless workarounds. If I can't render smoke and particles because alpha effects bring GPUs to their knees, I would most definitely find another way to convey the same feeling.

You're confused about what you're arguing here, because you first tried to argue that it was "insane" that the red sky could be a workaround to what they actually tried to achieve. Then you're talking about the aesthetic. But the bottomline of my first post, which triggered all of these quotes, is that there is no such thing as the new sky "not making sense". I never even argued that the remaster was objectively better, my first post about this specifically said it's fine to prefer either version for aesthetic reasons.

You did read that, right?

There are no "sense" in art direction. One is valid, another one is valid too.
The change itself though is what makes little sense as changing the art direction of a game which was mostly praised for it is a bewildering decision on part of Bioware.
Yeah, that was kind of my point, because I was replying to someone that said if you played the original, the new sky didn't make any sense. I just disagreed with that.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They literally mentioned they had the original level designers go back over the old areas and spruce them up to their satisfaction.

They're talking about adding a ton of new chaos, destruction, flame, plumes of smoke and ash, etc. to Eden Prime. I think that's going to look better in the new version, especially in motion.
It's a remaster. It should look like an improved original, not like a completely different game. This change is honestly would be a bit too much even for a remake.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
My only real concern here is the mod scene... Some ME3's mods are insane in scope, specially for a game without modding tools.
I do hope they manage to make the mods compatible with this edition.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently they are changing the first game to allow all classes to use all weapons, which feels like a mistake right? Adept (pure biotic) was already objectively the most powerful class in the first game, and that was when they could only use pistols. Now they have full weapon access too, why play a vanguard or any other class.

I'm glad they apparently kept the overall rpg gameplay style of the first game though, I remember them talking about gameplay changes and being worried.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Apparently they are changing the first game to allow all classes to use all weapons, which feels like a mistake right? Adept (pure biotic) was already objectively the most powerful class in the first game, and that was when they could only use pistols. Now they have full weapon access too, why play a vanguard or any other class.

I'm glad they apparently kept the overall rpg gameplay style of the first game though, I remember them talking about gameplay changes and being worried.
All classes can use all weapons but not all classes can specialize in all weapons.

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
About the red sky discussion (if it makes sense/realistic or not).

4k, vanilla ME1 (no mods) screenshots taken by me

As soon as you land on Eden Prime

TZDCtwJ.png

and where the Reaper takes off

gWsHzYW.png

C18unK2.png

Remaster version

EtO57CEXEAkMd9X

Uh it not even a red sky, it red clouds... which make even less sense to me. The actual sky look kind of close to the remastered colors

I'm always puzzled by why people think artist have fixed taste/output and that if things change in way they don't like it must be because of new people. (They supposedly had Watts (the original art director) overseeing the visual upgrade)

I dunno, Kaidan comments that "that must be where the Geth ship landed."

I mean yeah the ship landed and took off from the same spot for obvious reason x)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This argument is getting silly. If you go back and play Eden Prime there are ember particles that are falling down from the sky along with thick smoke effect the entire time you're on the planet. It was on fire from the attack.

You're right of course, I was just making a likely needless remark. They definitely wanted to make Eden Prime feel like a place under attack, but like Feros, it could feel weird at time.

I dunno, Kaidan comments that "that must be where the Geth ship landed."

The "Geth Ship" is Soverign.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
This argument is getting silly. If you go back and play Eden Prime there are ember particles that are falling down from the sky along with thick smoke effect the entire time you're on the planet. It was on fire from the attack.

True, thought at least they seem to have kept the burning particles.

p29tv515sl611.png

Mass-Effect-Legendary-Edition-ressemble-a-lun-des-remasters-4K.jpg

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do I have to purchase the pc copy from windows store in order to get smart delivery for my series x to work? How would I play my pc copy on the Xbox?

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Btw, for anyone saying that fire naturally produces red skies and then point to pictures from Cali/Australia, those shots were taken during early morning/late evening after tens of thousands of square miles had burned nearby over the course of days which had caused smoke to completely cloud the sky above those places. One localized disaster on Eden Prime that had only been occurring for a few hours is not going to produce the amount of smoke in the atmosphere to turn the sky into a crimson.

Which honestly doesn't matter. The sky should be whatever color makes for a cooler scene. But maybe see the mission in motion before judging based on one screenshot to make a snap judgment about the merits of the 'art' or whatever.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah the ship landed and took off from the same spot for obvious reason x)
I guess it's possible, but I don't think the implication here is that it caused the most damage by leaving.

Edit: That also doesn't sound like Mass Effect technology. Sovereign isn't a rocket.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a remaster. It should look like an improved original, not like a completely different game. This change is honestly would be a bit too much even for a remake.
What hyperbole. It doesn't look like a "completely different game".

It looks like the same game with a slight sky change (and one that doesn't show the new effects and destruction in action).

These are the sort of insane discussions that make claims like "these are now completely different games!"
mzEXNQj.jpg

Seeing other scenes from Eden Prime makes me feel like it's going to impress. You may not just have your big, brooding "the portal to hell has opened" sky at the beginning of it.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They mentioned that Derek Watts (art director on the trilogy and the next game) made some new concept arts to illustrate his vision on the environments and they based everything on his work, so this has his input.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Btw, for anyone saying that fire naturally produces red skies and then point to pictures from Cali/Australia, those shots were taken during early morning/late evening after tens of thousands of square miles had burned nearby over the course of days which had caused smoke to completely cloud the sky above those places. One localized disaster on Eden Prime that had only been occurring for a few hours is not going to produce the amount of smoke in the atmosphere to turn the sky into a crimson.

Which honestly doesn't matter. The sky should be whatever color makes for a cooler scene. But maybe see the mission in motion before judging based on one screenshot to make a snap judgment about the merits of the 'art' or whatever.
Okay but seriously who cares about the physicality of it? It's conveying a simple message, that it was on fire and it gets that across quite clearly.

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
What hyperbole. It doesn't look like a "completely different game".

It looks like the same game with a slight sky change (and one that doesn't show the new effects and destruction in action).

These are the sort of insane discussions that make claims like "these are now completely different games!"
mzEXNQj.jpg

Seeing other scenes from Eden Prime makes me feel like it's going to impress. You may not just have your big, brooding "the portal to hell has opened" sky at the beginning of it.
Seeing people reacting to any tiny changes in a remaster is always fascinating (and probably kind of frustrating for the dev)

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I will definitely pick this up at some point. I've played me3 but none of the others so it will be cool to experience it from beginning to end

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without Sovereign present, I'd have mistaken Eden Prime for Virmire with those initial screenshots.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I'll make a purchase rather than just play on gamepass to show my dollar support for the series.

The only question is whether I will be able to get an xbox series x before then sadly.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
They mentioned that Derek Watts (art director on the trilogy and the next game) made some new concept arts to illustrate his vision on the environments and they based everything on his work, so this has his input.
Fine, I guess he signed off on it. Not sure what he was thinking but whatever.
Seeing people reacting to any tiny changes in a remaster is always fascinating (and probably kind of frustrating for the dev)
This isn't a minor change. It's also a change for the worst.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This has been the case though for EVERY remaster. Ever. It's predictable.

This isn't a minor change. It's also a change for the worst.
It's a minor change. It affects a single area that you can blitz through in 15 minutes.

And I also don't think it's for the worst. Especially given what else they said they'll be doing with the environment.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Okay but seriously who cares about the physicality of it? It's conveying a simple message, that it was on fire and it gets that across quite clearly.

Yes, that's what the second part of my post said. It doesn't matter. But some people are arguing as if they have physics on their side.

We still also don't know the full scope of that scene/skybox so the reactionary stance of "UGH THEY RUINED MASS EFFECT" is fucking absurd lol

Heh, I think by now most of them are probably used to armchair developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.