• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to get this just to replay the first game but I still hate what happened to this series.

ME1: Denis Villeneuve
ME2: JJ Abrams
ME3: Michael Bay

Why did it all have to go so wrong?
The part that stings the most is how the old sci-fi aesthetic got more and toned down as the series progressed. ME2 lost the cloth and ceramic armor spacesuit design in favor of "tough, tactical" metal power suit style designs, and by ME3 they had lost the film grain.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't even make sense in the first Mass Effect. This is Eden Prime as seen in the Galaxy Map:

Xe67Pws.png

And this is Eden Prime in concept art:

5Lek4SV.png

No red skies.It looks a lot better with a regular-looking sky on a world that is supposed to be habitable for humans. Also, it isn't red in ME3 either, so it's clear they wanted consistency.

i mean... the sky was red because it was being attacked by a scary space robot that shot red lightning everywhere and blew stuff up. of course eden prime looks different when it's not being attacked by a scary space robot

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
The red sky on Eden Prime always came off as if it was a direct consequence of Saren's attack (ie, Sovereign's presence and the geth attacking the colony caused a smoky red sky as things burned), so saying it was changed to bring consistency with the Codex image and ME3 doesn't really line up.
I was thinking, and it could be a good compromise for the sky at first to be cloudy and glowing from the battle and Sovereign's discharges, but as it lifts off, have the clouds pushed away by the wake of the hull and mass effect fields, revealing the clearer sky. Nice way to signal the shift to the new style as well.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah ME1 lighting looks more like the other two games, but obviously the costumes and mechanical designs are probably unchanged so it shouldn't lose too much of its 70's sci-fi look and feel.

Now I just wanna see what they did with ME1's menus and sky boxes.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I did't like Mass Effect 2. I have nothing against the setting but I found the story and the gameplay simply boring.
Is 1 really different ?
Is 3 more fun to play ?
All three games are very different from each other.

IMO ME3 has the most fun controls and combat of the three games. ME1 tried to be way more of a CRPG and has a lot more freedom in how you progress through its main quest.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I love Mass Effect 1 more than the other 2, but I'll be damned if the adventures of Shep and Crew (Shep is canonically a woman) isn't going to happen in my house all over again.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I'm actually excited, I've wanted to get into the series for a long time! I actually bought the original trilogy on Origin just a few weeks before the remaster was announced, it really sucks, but I'll just wait a bit longer for this (and a discount!)

So all DLC is included, right? It says over 40 is included, but is that everything? I want to go in blind. I don't know how the games play and never saw any gameplay footage of it, so I'm trying to avoid anything that might spoil even the tiniest details.

Nov 8, 2017
All three games are very different from each other.

IMO ME3 has the most fun controls and combat of the three games. ME1 tried to be way more of a CRPG and has a lot more freedom in how you progress through its main quest.

ME1 is like you caught the series halfway through shedding it's skin. It wants to be a cover shooter but the cover system is awful, and the shooting is bad. It doesn't want to be a hardcore RPG anymore, but still has a bunch of stuff left over from when they did. So you have tons of itemisation, but a lot of it is superfluous, you have tons of skill levels, but only every 5th point means anything meaningful, you have aggressive level scaling, the whole party levels up together, you auto-loot everything, can immediately delete any item in the field for a currency, etc. It is indeed "more like a crpg" than the other 2, in the same way that $50 is closer to $1,000 than $25 is. It's a big step towards the casual gamer compared to KOTOR, which was in turn a big step towards that compared to Baldur's Gate 2.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Playing ME1 was so great, so much atmosphere and so much potential to the world. Some aspects of it was lived up to in later games, some did not.

They did not show galaxy map planets yet, worried. ME1's system was so much better than stupid planet scanning.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
On EA choosing the ME3 femshep model as the default model for ME1/ME2.

No, no, noooooo, nope.

ME1/ME2 femshep is the best. Receipts for proof.

BAsDWYa.png

9265GXG.png

bAfxlHe.png

This had better be an option.

braisbr1

Oct 4, 2019
It didn't even make sense in the first Mass Effect. This is Eden Prime as seen in the Galaxy Map:

Xe67Pws.png

And this is Eden Prime in concept art:

5Lek4SV.png

No red skies.It looks a lot better with a regular-looking sky on a world that is supposed to be habitable for humans. Also, it isn't red in ME3 either, so it's clear they wanted consistency.
The red sky on Eden Prime always came off as if it was a direct consequence of Saren's attack (ie, Sovereign's presence and the geth attacking the colony caused a smoky red sky as things burned), so saying it was changed to bring consistency with the Codex image and ME3 doesn't really line up.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Missed it earlier, is Pinnacle Station included? I know it was absent from the PS3 due to the source code being missing at the time, but I don't know if they found a way around it.

Not that missing it is any great loss, mind. I played it for the first time last year and it was genuinely pretty awful with the exception of easy access to top weapons and armour upon completion. Like...frustratingly awful. But I am curious.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually excited, I've wanted to get into the series for a long time! I actually bought the original trilogy on Origin just a few weeks before the remaster was announced, it really sucks, but I'll just wait a bit longer for this (and a discount!)

So all DLC is included, right? It says over 40 is included, but is that everything? I want to go in blind. I don't know how the games play and never saw any gameplay footage of it, so I'm trying to avoid anything that might spoil even the tiniest details.

It's every DLC but Pinnacle Station which had issues with the source code and honestly wasn't that great anyways.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pinnacle station is that Reused asset arena like thing in ME1 right? Not whatever the Battarian dlc was?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
i mean... the sky was red because it was being attacked by a scary space robot that shot red lightning everywhere and blew stuff up. of course eden prime looks different when it's not being attacked by a scary space robot
So the sky, which is kilometers above Sovereign, is red because it was attacking Eden Prime at surface level? That makes even less sense because the sky doesn't turn red like that. It never even looked like it was red because of Sovereign's attack, but rather because that was the planet's actual atmosphere. It was most likely a workaround for their technical limitation in regards to visual effects because they wanted to convey the colony was under attack, and in the remaster they can actually show what the sky looks like when there is a massive space ship attacking the surface: a regular sky, but with smoke, debris and dust.

It's fine to prefer the red sky for aesthetic reasons, but that doesn't mean the change doesn't make sense.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct, the ME1 DLC where you run into Batarians is Bring Down the Sky, which is included in Legendary Edition.
Good, I at least wanted the dlc that actually had a mention in other games (not sure if 2 mentions it, but I clearly remember it having a cutscene in ME3).
Is it bad I want the armor exploit to return for ME1? (the one that lets you put krogan armor/other race armor on your characters for the extra armor/benefits)

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017

ME1: Updated UI, improved camera, aiming, Mako, etc
Let's see how those updates turn out. I tried ME1 a few years back and just couldn't finish the game due to the stuff mentioned there. I hope they can also change the dungeon layouts to be less "repetitive" because I found exploration rather boring in ME1.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So the sky, which is kilometers above Sovereign, is red because it was attacking Eden Prime at surface level? That makes even less sense because the sky doesn't turn red like that. It never even looked like it was red because of Sovereign's attack, but rather because that was the planet's actual atmosphere. It was most likely a workaround for their technical limitation in regards to visual effects because they wanted to convey the colony was under attack, and in the remaster they can actually show what the sky looks like when there is a massive space ship attacking the surface: a regular sky, but with smoke, debris and dust.

It's fine to prefer the red sky for aesthetic reasons, but that doesn't mean the change doesn't make sense.
Wait you think the sky was red because it was a technical limitation?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to get this just to replay the first game but I still hate what happened to this series.

ME1: Denis Villeneuve
ME2: JJ Abrams
ME3: Michael Bay

Why did it all have to go so wrong?

Nah.

ME1: George Lucas
ME2: James Cameron
ME3: George Lucas

The part that stings the most is how the old sci-fi aesthetic got more and toned down as the series progressed. ME2 lost the cloth and ceramic armor spacesuit design in favor of "tough, tactical" metal power suit style designs, and by ME3 they had lost the film grain.

The film grain always sucked. You know this to be true.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017

That isn't how the sky works. It isn't any more above sovereign than it is below sovereign.

And the sky on planet Earth can be any number of hues, including red. Which happens when there are fires.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's a shitty space racist. Nothing of value is lost by her dying.

Ashley has the unenviable position of having to be the character who reminds us of the complicated history of galactic politics and Earth's messy introduction to alien life by way of the Turians declaring war on them when a phone call and quick lecture would have sufficed while being in a game where the most popular characters are Garrus, Tali and Wrex.

We just wanna go "wow, cool aliens" while Ashley sits there and reminds us that her entire family had their name disgraced because her granddad surrendered to spare the people he was protecting from getting killed.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Wait you think the sky was red because it was a technical limitation?
It seems like a practical solution for a time when volumetric fog that was actually illuminated wasn't viable. It is now, so they replaced the sky with something that actually resembles the sky of a planet habitable for humans and included actual dust and smoke.

That isn't how the sky works. It isn't any more above sovereign than it is below sovereign.

And the sky on planet Earth can be any number of hues, including red. Which happens when there are fires.
You mean widespread fires covering kilometers of land changing the color of the sky? Well, of course, because that fire generates tons of smoke that is, in turn, reflecting the orange light projected by the fire.

Eden Prime was not on fire.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite happy to replay it again in 4K with the extra bits and bobs. Would it be nice if they fixed things like ME1's inventory? Damn right it would that thing was a mess, but I'd still play through happy if it was exactly the same as I've done it countless times.

The biggest question will be if they have changed the ending to ME3 at all. They just have a clear idea of what they want to do with ME4, so to not add something that leads into it feels like a mistake.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

un51b2dgwzl51.jpg

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a practical solution for a time when volumetric fog that was actually illuminated wasn't viable. It is now, so they replaced the sky with something that actually resembles the sky of a planet habitable for humans and included actual dust and smoke.

You mean widespread fires covering kilometers of land changing the color of the sky? Well, of course, because that fire generate tons of smoke that is, in turn, reflecting the orange light projected by the fire.

Eden Prime was not on fire.

The sky can turn red without a massive fire. It's dependent on you're perspective. I have experience with this as a firefighter but also as a human being who has seen the sky color change with the dawn and sunset.

Your post makes it pretty clear you imagined the sky was a thing that existed well above sovereign rather than all around. This is a ridiculous idea. I was trying to be polite before, but you are doubling down on a foolish argument.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It seems like a practical solution for a time when volumetric fog that was actually illuminated wasn't viable. It is now, so they replace the sky with something that actually resembles the sky of a planet habitable for humans and included actual dust and smoke.
It wasn't a technical limitation. It's absolutely insane that a person could think that was a technical limitation. They absolutely did that intentionally for atmosphere reasons. It's not supposed to look like a day in the tropics.

Also here's the main point. Who cares whether it's them sticking to 'canon'? That seems to be missing the point. If they wanted consistency with later games just throw a quick line in the codex explaining that Sovereign colored Prime's sky as red that day. Defending this change because it's 'canon' is pretty weak when it could be explained via any number of separate sources.

The red sky was there for atmosphere and to make Sovereign's intro memorable.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
On EA choosing the ME3 femshep model as the default model for ME1/ME2.

No, no, noooooo, nope.

ME1/ME2 femshep is the best. Receipts for proof.

BAsDWYa.png

9265GXG.png

bAfxlHe.png

This had better be an option.

You can literally just create that face with the character creator. It's not a special mesh like default MShep always was.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Missing one thing, Pinnacle Station from 1. They said the files were corrupt. (And no ME3 mp)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There are no "sense" in art direction. One is valid, another one is valid too.
The change itself though is what makes little sense as changing the art direction of a game which was mostly praised for it is a bewildering decision on part of Bioware.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Pinnacle Station is the definition of "nothing of value was lost." I did it on every single one of my (10+) playthroughs and I hated myself for it the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.