• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
So fucking pumped for this.

2021 looks to be the year of trilogies for me, between Hitman and this. Hopefully the Metroid trilogy is out this year too

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Laughing at the reaction to lens flares.

Like, I remember the original promo screenshots.
Mass-Effect-Trilogy-Screenshot-002.jpg

Screenshots-mass-effect-461674_1280_760.jpg

3674-5df1151a-medium.jpg

Hello, old friend.
Yeah, I was going to mention it:
Mass Effect is pretty has been rampant with lens flare since it's reveal. I'm still debating if they need to chill or go even further.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck did they do to the sky of Eden Prime in ME1. Like, it was the first big "holy shit" moment of the saga, it became iconic and for some one of the best moments, even if it was at the beginning.
It looks so banal now, like, there's nothing making the scene special, the bloody sky was everything there.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I see a few people mentioning Eden Prime's sky changes, but I'm thinking it'll be part of a larger effort to do the following:

Eden Prime, for example, now has new lighting to show off its fuller skybox and upressed textures, along with extra effects like smoke, ground fog, burning ashes and scattered debris.

A lot of those details were a bit muddled in the original release, and the sky is still red... but just not "oh god, it's HELL ON EARTH" red. I'm eager to see it in MOTION, and I think this will showcase their efforts better.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The thing I keep thinking will be the strangest change will be if Conrad Verner is fixed in ME2. It will be bizarre to not have him acting as though he was handled with renegade options, regardless of how things occurred in ME1. Not sure I'm ready for that.

The Thane still image DOF looks nice. The bokeh effect on the lights is subtle but helps. Hoping they were able to get some of the visor and neon light bits to blur properly, since I recall those elements had a tendency to be ultra sharp when other surrounding models would be out of focus.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck did they do to the sky of Eden Prime in ME1. Like, it was the first big "holy shit" moment of the saga, it became iconic and for some one of the best moments, even if it was at the beginning.
It looks so banal now, like, there's nothing making the scene special, the bloody sky was everything there.
My bet is contuinity change. That's one of the few times if not the only time a reaper shoots up crazy overblown red electricity beams.

Jul 24, 2018
The thing I keep thinking will be the strangest change will be if Conrad Verner is fixed in ME2. It will be bizarre to not have him acting as though he was handled with renegade options, regardless of how things occurred in ME1. Not sure I'm ready for that.
I can deal with that as I was pretty annoyed having to constantly mod my Xbox save file to fix that xD

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Let's be real. The only thing that sucks about this announcement isn't the lens flares or the changed skyboxes.

It's that we have to wait until friggin' May to play this.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Missed this the first go around, will wait to see how the remaster fares (don't trust EA for a second here) but assuming everything works properly I'm probably in.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
A shame indeed. From what I gathered from a couple of previews is that it's still very much ME1's combat, just a little bit less frustrating.
So we're down to "very, very frustrating" then...

... nah it isn't that bad. I can appreciate it for what it is. I'd be interested to read some first time ME1 player impressions though lol

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the lens flare is part of the visual identity of the series, like it or not and I'm all for it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty nice. Seems like ME 1 got a good visual overhaul but nothing too drastic, at least so far.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I bet they keep it the same, given how ME3 directly addresses that bug

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Mass Effect always had a lot of lens flare. And if you ask me, this looks better.

XlPE8yO.jpg

3X5gJV3.jpg

Source is the gamespot video, so there's some youtube compression here.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
We know. So the fact that they stick out to people who are already trained to the trilogy's established lens flare propensity makes this second pass attempt even more glaring.
Just looks like Mass Effect to me. The first game had less than the other two and they're unifying the aesthetic. You can hardly find a shot in ME2 and 3 without lens flare.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, not super hyped given what has existed on PC for a while now. But, I'll take it just so I don't have to deal with mods not working to get all the visual improvements and controller support.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I've owned all three games for years, on both X360 and PC, but despite my intentions I never got around to playing them. Guess I probably never will since I will likely buy this version when it gets dirt cheap and possibly never get around to playing it either. Not because I don't want to, but there are just too many games and not enough time.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao at people in this thread.

ME1 was overusing lens flares years before JJ Abrams.

We're seeing new lens flares added where they weren't previously in the game (and of a different style), which is part of my personal criticism. They overpower the screenshots released so far, in a way I'd argue they didn't in the original versions.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
I'm super happy about this.

I was LTTP for Mass Effect, only playing the original trilogy a month or so before Andromeda launched and I loved Shepherd's adventures although the original Mass Effect felt a bit of a slog with it's UI, Mako physics and excessively RPG-ified combat which I personally was not a fan of. It's the only game in the trilogy I've not replayed because of this.

I shall be picking this up on PS5 for sure, having played the originals on the MEUITM and controller modded PC version.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Is the music in the trailer newly composed for the trailer or is it from an existing soundtrack?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC That was a glitch in ME1 imported savefiles, which causes the encounter to be flagged both with the Paragon and Renegade options, but ME2 always reads the Renegade flag first.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Day... 1?!?

Im so excited for this. The only game of the trilogy I played was ME1. I loved it. It was so long ago that I wouldn't remember a thing about the game.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
A shame indeed. From what I gathered from a couple of previews is that it's still very much ME1's combat, just a little bit less frustrating.
Sounds like there are enough changes to the combat.
  • No more Class-Based Weapon Restrictions: in the original ME1, not all classes can use all weapons. This has been rebalanced for the Trilogy Remaster, with restrictions removed. This means that, for instance, that the Biotic-focused Sentinel class can use weapons other than pistols - but they won't be able to train and put skill points into those weapon classes, limiting their abilities. In addition, penalties to aim based on your class have been eliminated.
  • Aiming & Weapon Changes & Improvements: traditional RPG fans who struggle with the shooter elements will be pleased to know that ME1 now has a proper aim assist, including a 'snap to' enemy function, just like the latter two games. In addition, every weapon has been rebalanced and tweaked to try to give every weapon and every manufacturer "a unique feel".
  • Control Scheme adjusted to be closer to ME2 & 3, including a dedicated melee button
  • Smoother Camera Control, including when aiming down a scope

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It fits with the art style of the trilogy. Also, the lens flare itself didn't change the color of the sky.

We'll have to see it more in action but at least for now it's worrying.

And true, that picture has more issues than just the lens flares, but that adds to the problem lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.