• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you usually lean towards good or evil playthroughs when given the choice?

• Good (Paragon)

Votes: 1,200 85.2%
  • Bad (Renegade)

Votes: 208 14.8%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
Choosing random Renegade options was sometimes so out of character that it was comedic and hard to accept it as canon. You almost had to do straight renegade or straight paragon.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Almost all games are designed for you to be good and not evil, so I'm not surprised to learn this stat either.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I only did a single Renegade play though just to see how it was, and it usually felt like roleplaying a petty bully.

Although some of the renegade options were too good to not take even on a paragon run, like shooting the pipe...

Nov 2, 2017
Renegade was legitimately evil 99% of the time, and imo, defeats the entire purpose of it.

Renegade was meant to be direct/ruthless, but not evil. Or at least that's how they sold it initially.

And on top of that, going Renegade basically just meant being a human supremacist, and that's garbage.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of want to go back and just alternate between paragon and renegade choices the entire way through.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Call me vanilla but I always go through a game as light side on the first run through. Evil options can wait until a replay.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I mean the problem is having the choices be a binary "Good vs Bad" instead of making them about competing interests where neither is a purely good or bad choice, where picking the seemingly good one could potentially cause problems down the road and vice versa. I mean in real life you can't really devolve most issues into a simple black and white choice, especially when talking about things like conflict negotiation which is what a lot of these dialogue choices in RPGs ultimately boil down to.

Paragon is pretty much always the successful choice, there's basically never a time when trying to negotiate with terrorists or going soft on someone ends up blowing up in your face. Honestly if 90%+ people are picking a single choice then there's a serious issue with the other choices that make them unacceptable for players, since there shouldn't really be a "right" answer in the first place - if players like to play nice then the game should probably try to challenge their decisions and turn into a proper moral debate where players have to juggle competing interests, or if not, then just do what games like Kentucky Route Zero did and make the dialogue less about moral choices and decision making and more about just setting the tone of the conversation.

I always thought The Walking Dead manages that a bit better, but even in that game it's obvious that there were some choices players would never compromise on which the game maybe could have challenged a bit further to make things interesting.

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
92 percent of players are nerds.

No but seriously not being an asshole but still taking the badass renegade options is the best way.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If games didn't generally punish players for being bad, more players would probably choose the bad option.

I got no qualms with being ruthless, but I generally expect to get the bad ending or negative consequences when I do so.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I loved this part in ME2 the second time I played. Much more interesting than Shepard just doing a fake endorsement for every store.
"Well, alright, but you still hurt my feelings."

OP
OP
Darkstorne

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
"I'm going to play evil character on my second playthrough"
*proceed to pick good options again.
Yes, 100% me =P

I've even installed mods for Fallout 4 specifically to make evil playthroughs more engaging and enjoyable, so I can manage a Raider gang and conquer the Commonwealth right from the start of the game. I still end up building settlements to protect everyone =/

"My character will have a turning point moment" I tell myself. "She'll return to these beautiful settlements with a raider gang to conquer them!" It never happens...

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
In my "canonical" playthrough of the series, I started out Renegade. ME2 made Renegade Shep feel cool. ME3 made Renegade Shep feel like a genocidal maniac, and I had to start picking Paragon options.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
With games like this I always say I'm gonna do a second playthrough where I choose 'bad guy' options, but I never actually get deep into it. It just doesn't feel right, it's like pulling my own teeth.

that said, the femshep renegade is worth it just for the Jennifer Hale readings. I could listen to Hale be a sarcastic asshole all day

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I played paragon.
Escapism to break social norms isn't really why I play video games and most of the choices in Mass Effect it's either "do you want to be an asshole or not".

Sep 7, 2018
I mostly play the good options, but sometimes the more sensible actions gives you renegade points. For instance, at the climax of Mass Effect 1, who in their right mind would divert Alliance firepower to save the Citadel council when the fate of the galaxy is at stake?

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
As much as people complain that there aren't consequences for playing the games 100% paragon, let's be real, there was never any real consequences for going total renegade either. There was a fine line between being pragmatic and just being an asshole making borderline homicidal decisions biggest it's quicker, and more times than not the renegade option was the latter.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah well 92% of the time RPGs do evil choices it's being a racist and a bully, and I don't do fantasy worlds to act out everything I hate in real life.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am usually turned off the quote "evil" options simply because they make the character either an extreme asshole or ridiculously evil. I play how I would act in those situations, which is good.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i always do a paragon/good run through on first take. I always want to play the game like how i would be in real life......not a complete asshole. But some of the renegade options got legit insane, no way was a renegade shep every saving existence.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'd love to RP a total jerk, but the renegade options in ME1 seemed over the top and ridiculous at the time which sent me down a Paragon path that I stuck with the entire series.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
NPC: Shepard! This orphanage is full of genetically engineered superbiotic children. In the right hands, they'll grow up to be functioning members of society... or terrible weapons.

MASS EFFECT 1

We'll give them to social workers.
·)
The Alliance military can train them.

MASS EFFECT 2

I'll work to bring them back to their extended families.
·)
Cerberus can experiment on these brats so we can develop more biotics to stop the Reapers.

MASS EFFECT 3

(Personally carry them home on your back through a Reaper attack)
·)
These freaks are a threat. (Gun them down and eat a live puppy)

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The problem is that renegade dialogue options and choices run the gamut from "sarcastic anti-hero asshole" to "murderous evildoer" in a way that always made me afraid to pick the renegade option. Shepard is, at the end of the day, the hero of a space opera epic and it feels out of character for her to be doing evil things while also saving the galaxy. It just never gelled with me. I've done five or six trilogy playthroughs and I'm always like 90% paragon.

I feel like Bioware hit the better balance with Dragon Age 2 & Inquisition, where they ditched the morality bar and went with personality responses So people could roleplay their snarky-asshole without actually being a moral monster.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
if you want more players to experience the "evil" options in a game, don't label the good and evil choices as such

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
NPC: Shepard! This orphanage is full of genetically engineered superbiotic children. In the right hands, they'll grow up to be functioning members of society... or terrible weapons.

MASS EFFECT 1

·)

MASS EFFECT 2

·)
Cerberus can experiment on these brats so we can develop more biotics to stop the Reapers.

MASS EFFECT 3

·)

If that ain't the truth lol

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be fair the binary setup doesn't work when you have the exact same end goal regardless. 'Renegade' is supposed to be pragmatic, but when facing down the death of the galaxy as a senior commander in charge of the most advanced counter-attack force available, 'pragmatic' sounds far more sensible than 'always be the best friend of whoever you are talking to right now'. Instead, we get paragon choices that conveniently are just as pragmatic in more subtle ways in the long run due to not pissing everyone off, and renegade choices that are 'like paragon, but be a total wanker about it'.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting. I can confirm I went for Paragon for the whole trilogy. The Renegade options made me feel bad. They're fun to try on a second playthrough, but no way would I let Wrex die for real, or act like a jerk to my other crewmates.

I cared about those characters, and I thought it was fitting to play Shepard as a hero.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018

MASS EFFECT 1

·)

MASS EFFECT 2

·)

MASS EFFECT 3

·)

Yep.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

MASS EFFECT 1

·)

MASS EFFECT 2

·)

MASS EFFECT 3

·)
Lmao, accurate.

Nice formatting btw.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
The Renegade option in Mass Effect could mean anything from:
  • Being sacastic
  • Refusing a request
  • Demanding money to complete the request
  • Shooting the requester in the head because they dared to speak to you
It was just the opposite or whatever the situational called for regardless of any tonal consistency

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. What did they expect?

I hope in the future the "THERE ARE ONLY 2 SIDES GOOD OR EVIL" writing style Bioware uses needs to die.

In Mass Effect you are either Space Jesus or Space Hitler. Not middle ground. No chance for the player to think about the outcome of their choices. They just pick the clearly marked Good outcome or Clearly marked Bad Guy outcome depending on if its their Paragon or Renegade run.
Yeah if they didn't make it so binary and also clearly labeled I bet there would be more variety.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
first play through always 'positive', second play through .. fuck everything and everyone.
408161908856979457.png

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Male Shepard Paragon on the first play through.
Female Shepard Renegade on second play through. I did this with all 3 games.