• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this game up for $8 a ways back. The time has come to play it. Anything I need to know? I don't want story spoilers but I don't want to waste my time (lol) too much. I am going in pretty much blind besides seeing all the funny walking gifs and such. Am I making a mistake even booting this up? Seems like it was abandoned fairly quickly.

I played 1-3 ages ago.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't really know what you're asking for here. I completed the game in it's entirety and there's honestly not anything I can think of that I wish I knew before starting....

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
It's a perfectly serviceable Mass Effect game, but hampered by the needless inclusion of open world-ish planets (and the ensuing busywork) and a "fresh" setting that requires you to get emotionally invested in its cast all over again (which is a big ask).

Just play it, if you don't like it you didn't you'll only be out $8.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's a videogame you bought for 8 bucks.

Just play it. And have fun. Or not. It's 8 bucks.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Are you on PC? If so, head to Nexus Mods and get some of the bug-fixes and any quality-of-life mods you feel might be worthwhile. Otherwise, you can just jump in these days and it'll work pretty well.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's an okay videogame. Enjoy the atmosphere and the graphics. The Gameplay is also really solid. Just don't expect anything special from the story side of things.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Just ignore that haters. It's in decent shape now. Not a patch on the trilogy, but you can have some fun with it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Generally skip the quests labeled "Task:" if you want to avoid grindy, inconsequential bullshit but do keep a lookout for some of them as they can sometimes involve good stories involving the main characters of the game besides your immediate crew.

Prepare to be shocked at the technical issues the game has. Mass Effect 1 had a similar situation but the baseline presentation was solid because they nailed down cinematics and digital acting in an otherwise buggy and janky game. Andromeda has hokey writing and sometimes abysmal facial animations, it's actually shocking. But on the flipside there's technical feats in the game world and the graphical presentation that keeps me from calling it an unimpressive game. You can see the shimmers of a truly marvelous next-gen title in this game that goes beyond what BioWare usually does in my opinion, and you can unfortunately also tell that much of that was scaled down and left unfinished. This alone makes the game super interesting to me on a post-mortem level though.

I would avoid playing on above-normal difficulty because it drags out the combat with more bullet-spongy enemies. It's a bad solution to increasing difficulty and the load times upon death will only certainly frustrate more than necessary. Also, as others have said, if you're on pc, check out the Nexusmods site for things. There's bugfixes and QoL mods that can really improve the experience.

If you start hating the open-world stuff remember that the mainquest is always just waiting for you to finish it, and from start to finish it contains beats with more polished, cinematic stuff than the remainder of the game and the intro mission and final mission are easily the game's best moments.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Generally skip the quests labeled "Task:" if you want to avoid grindy, inconsequential bullshit but do keep a lookout for some of them as they can sometimes involve good stories involving the main characters of the game besides your immediate crew.

Prepare to be shocked at the technical issues the game has. Mass Effect 1 had a similar situation but the baseline presentation was solid because they nailed down cinematics and digital acting in an otherwise buggy and janky game. Andromeda has hokey writing and sometimes abysmal facial animations, it's actually shocking. But on the flipside there's technical feats in the game world and the graphical presentation that keeps me from calling it an unimpressive game. You can see the shimmers of a truly marvelous next-gen title in this game that goes beyond what BioWare usually does in my opinion, and you can unfortunately also tell that much of that was scaled down and left unfinished. This alone makes the game super interesting to me on a post-mortem level though.

I would avoid playing on above-normal difficulty because it drags out the combat with more bullet-spongy enemies. It's a bad solution to increasing difficulty and the load times upon death will only certainly frustrate more than necessary. Also, as others have said, if you're on pc, check out the Nexusmods site for things. There's bugfixes and QoL mods that can really improve the experience.

If you start hating the open-world stuff remember that the mainquest is always just waiting for you to finish it, and from start to finish it contains beats with more polished, cinematic stuff than the remainder of the game and the intro mission and final mission are easily the game's best moments.
This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks
Remember: there's a couple really great side missions that tell surprisingly compelling stories wholly unrelated to the main narrative. There's also a lot of duds. You'll never really know until you're playing them, though, so be forewarned. Most of the average and bad ones aren't super long, anyway, so you'll cut through them quickly.

Skip the radiant quests and tasks, like Asbsand said, and kiss the Turian. She's adorable.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it and the story gets really interesting. Sadly the dlc was canceled. Would love a sequel

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
play adept or vanguard. Biotic combos are fun.

Make the most of the combat systems, its the best part of the game.

Explore, experiment, have fun.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Look the for sci fi, there's a ton of great sci fi but a lot of it is hidden in the small stories/lore texts, etc.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
don't take liam with you, he is the fucking worst.

also don't sleep on the close-range flamethrower ability.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Unless you really like the core gameplay or want the rewards ignore all the tasks. They're MMORPG style side quests you can ignore completely

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
The advice to skip the Tasks is true. But watch out for a quest on the first open planet regarding water pipes or some such. As said craft a shotgun, I liked several but the Dhan, Disciple and Ruzad imo are the best but the Reegar and Piranha are good too depending on play style. Roll with a pistol as well, Charger, Equalizer and Hurricane all shred especially when modded properly.

Do the "loyalty" missions but as stated, fuck Liam. Leave him in his hole :P

Edit: Like DA:I don't try to do planets all in one go. There are environmental reasons as well as general burn out.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The game's honestly real great but it doesn't put its best foot forward. Just know the first 10 hours are probably the worst of the whole thing. Once you get going it's realh good.

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Like others have said:
- Experiment with biotic and tech powers, don't play the game strictly as a cover shooter; go crazy and combo, combo, combo
- Ditch Liam, just pretend he's not there
- Do only the quests that sound interesting or you'll get burnt out quickly
- Know that you don't have to go to every single planet to finish the main quest; you can come back and do tons of stuff after you beat the story
- Don't think too hard about dialog and/or story choices, impact is unfortunately minimal
- I hope you like sudoku puzzles!

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sam advice as Dragon Age: Inquisition - once you identify which content you can get away with skipping, it's a much better experience from a gameplay loop perspective. The main, companion and side quests (i.e. none of the colony improvement stuff) is generally all decent content, though you could skip the side quests if you're dead set on mainlining.

I actually quite like the characters and story (at least one squad member is a top tier ME companion as far as I'm concerned), though it's a bit dampened in hindsight since it feels unlikely that any of the loose plot threads are going to get followed up on.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Early on it's pretty cool. You don't have to finish it if you don't like how it goes, just stop. Skip as much as you can if you want to finish the main story, there is quite a bit you can skip. Planet scanning is as bad as it seems. I liked the combat and I think the game looks very pretty for the most part. It's worth seeing the worlds if you like space and sci-fi stuff.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Honestly, the shooting is kind of fun... and probably its best part.

Black Widow sniper rifle is just sublime.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's a really good video game that doesn't deserve the hate it received. Didn't play it at launch, but neither are you, so we missed out on any of the release issues that were fixed.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun game with some glaring problems.

Don't let the first few mediocre hours of the game stop you from enjoying some of the later parts of the game. Especially the later interactions between the party members.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not terrible. I've been playing it again recently and it's a decent game if you got it for cheap. The combat is fun, and I think they've at least fixed some of the distracting animations from when the game is released. Characters progression is well done and you can get a fun mix of abilities. It does get bogged down by the multitude of side quests which are about the same quality as what was in Inquisition. Companion characters are decent at best and mostly forgettable. Same with the story. It's actually a decent premise they could have done a lot with, but it falls short. And my face hurts.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm replaying it now and I'll say that ignoring most missions labeled Tasks is a good rule of thumb. They essentially categorize the filler fetch quests for you so you know it's not a particularly relevant mission.

Also, collect all the Memory Triggers. They're not the most fun collectible in the world but are tied into a major side quest with a worthwhile payoff.

Deleted member 17297

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first third of the game is slow, dull and seems to emphasise the biggest flaws in the game. It almost stopped my first playthrough and pretty much prevented me from doing any subsequent runs.

Once you get passed that it gets pretty fun for the rest of the game as long as you don't care too much about the writing in the main quest (which stays consistently bad throughout).

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said:
- Experiment with biotic and tech powers, don't play the game strictly as a cover shooter; go crazy and combo, combo, combo
- Ditch Liam, just pretend he's not there
- Do only the quests that sound interesting or you'll get burnt out quickly
- Know that you don't have to go to every single planet to finish the main quest; you can come back and do tons of stuff after you beat the story
- Don't think too hard about dialog and/or story choices, impact is unfortunately minimal
- I hope you like sudoku puzzles!
No I hate sudoku wth