• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
This is my Tali

2e8a373e-4554-45d9-bfc7-03e3608a2dc1-1360x2040.jpeg

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
It would've been for the best if they've never revealed how Quarians look like and just let you fill in the gap.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I always thought the Quarians mouths were where the blinking light was. Now, I don't know what to think. So... everytime they talk, their chin is actually what is blinking? 😅

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine thinking that using a stock photo isn't properly designing a character that sure would be a drastically sad misunderstanding of how a lot of art gets made not just in gaming but in general. 🙃
So one of the beloved character in the franchise deserve as much care as the reference photo of a....garden, grass and stuff. Got it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So one of the beloved character in the franchise deserve as much care as the reference photo of a....garden, grass and stuff. Got it.
I mean, you do realize that the edit is most likely based on a stock photo too right? The new edit doesn't even make much sense tbh because she's get deathly sick if she took off her mask. One feels like a long ago memory the other feels artificial.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you do realize that the edit is most likely based on a stock photo too right? The new edit doesn't even make much sense tbh because she's get deathly sick if she took off her mask. One feels like a long ago memory the other feels artificial.
Then maybe they shouldn't have included the scene that make use of a photo? Like there are plenty of ways they could've handle it, and fan being mad is understandable. But according to you, developers can't do no wrong apparently.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Then maybe they shouldn't have included the scene that make use of a photo?
They didn't, they edited the photo. Like they did for every other stock photo in the game. It's genuinely one of so many irrational gamer anger moments based on the idea that a 9/10 game made in two years felt like a rushed conclusion
Holy hell I binge watched this entire series last weekend and this one was HAUNTING.

I honestly prefer the idea of a non-humanoid looking Tali myself. Was a little disappointed when they revealed her face.
Throughout the games her silhouette was always humanoid. Plus it's mass effect so there's no a single race you can sleep with that isn't humanoid.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be crass, but I do feel as if this process boiled down to BioWare artists sitting in their lab all scratching their collective chins like, "Hmm. What's the most alien we can go with Tali's aesthetic before players wouldn't want to fuck her?"

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Then maybe they shouldn't have included the scene that make use of a photo? Like there are plenty of ways they could've handle it, and fan being mad is understandable. But according to you, developers can't do no wrong apparently.

The edited photo was fine, good grief it's been years let it go.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
I kind of love that they did the high school art shortcut of just cover everything else with a hood so don't need to design anything else in the first design, the Fan art design still basically does the sexy human face but then shows and designs everything else, underneath that hood and chin strap she could basically look like this or weirder. in the stock photo at least they added stuff to her neck etc. but yeah i guess there is not cannon look for underneath the mask thouh.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The fact that the internet was so angry at this studio that they specifically looked for the stock photo in a game full of stock photos is crazy to me.
Okay, but they've got enough concept artists on staff to create enough art to fill a couple art books and yet they couldn't be assed to ask one of them to do a static 1080p photo they can texture onto their plane picture frame object in the Game Engine? Like we're not talking just this photograph here. We're talking the reveal of an entire species that had been hidden away in plain sight.

a Mixtrue of these two is my canon Tali. I've always liked how the first image hints at Quarians having more tint of a species that has made heavy usage of technology for their lives and bodies (with the antenae-like-wires). And I've always liked the idea of them having this deep pink skin

Last edited:

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Another instance where the reveal can never be as good as the mystery. Should have kept that shit unknown.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I get people making comments about how she shouldn't be "white", but frankly, she shouldn't even look human at all.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, but they've got enough concept artists on staff to create enough art to fill a couple art books and yet they couldn't be assed to ask one of them to do a static photo 1080p photo they can texture onto their plane picture frame object in the Game Engine? Like we're not talking just this photograph here. We're talking the reveal of an entire species that had been hidden away in plain sight.
Considering how rushed the game is "we need to show Tali but we're crunching like a motherfucker so put in a photo" probably led to the decision to have one of the main quest lines that got a specific fully animated cutscene to just include an easy to insert photo. It's genuinely not that deep.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Quarians are just humans with silly legs. That's pretty lame and uncreative. Then again this the series that made Asari.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
They didn't, they edited the photo. Like they did for every other stock photo in the game. It's genuinely one of so many irrational gamer anger moments based on the idea that a 9/10 game made in two years felt like a rushed conclusion
Wha...? I seriously have no idea how your reply even related to what I posted.
The edited photo was fine, good grief it's been years let it go.
I was talking about back then ---- you know during Mass Effect 3 release before extended cut even exist, not the current picture in the OP.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Wha...? I seriously have no idea how your reply even related to what I posted.

I was talking about back then ---- you know during Mass Effect 3 release before extended cut even exist, not the current picture in the OP.

I was also talking about during the original release. It was fine then and the newer one is also fine.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I was also talking about during the original release. It was fine then and the newer one is also fine.
Ok, good for you.
Why would they not include the scene?
Tali only said she left something for Shepard to remind him of her, it could literally be anything, her spare mask or some sort of Quarian tech for example considering she's a nerd. No need for a picture. Hell, if it must be a picture, just picture of her in mask with Shepard would suffice.