• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
t one point he points out that the protheans weren't as diverse as the current galaxy, which might give the new generation a better chance. Playing it makes "synthetics vs organics" even less of a "theme" of the trilogy, as some would like to argue. To me it's about coexisting and understanding each other, accepting the differences.
giphy.gif

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Wow, totally forgot about this. Also I love hearing stories like this, because at the time it feels like -- this is how the future is going to be, this is the way it is. And it's clearly not (regardless of how people complain).

It was incredibly shitty and not just for lacking him in the game, but for hearing from gamestop, in a fucking ad, "UNLOCK THE PROTHEAN CHARACTER TO HAVE ON YOUR SQUAD!" like... what a huge colossal fucking weird twist/spoiler to be revealed in a horrible marketing campaign. I remember I was livid.

Zamaru

Nov 2, 2019
100% agreed. This decision along with Leviathan basically ripped the foundations of the game apart to sell it as "DLC". It was a exceedingly stupid decision purely done out of corporate greed and the final product suffered greatly for it and still continues to for the majority of people who look back on the franchise.

Now that's not to say ME3 is a masterpiece with that DLC, but it would've helped the game a great deal to have included them in the base experience.

The multiplayer however, THAT was a masterpiece.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, as people pointed out, Javik was 100% a part of the main story in the original leaks and datamines of ME3. He was going to be, like, mandatory to take to Thessia and Kai Leng would kidnap him to take back to the Cerberus base, not that dorky Prothean VI.

Remember also that his conversations on the Normandy are also almost the only ones in the entire game that even really hint at the idea of "the conflict" being about organics vs. synthetics - the only other one is that defeated Reaper on Rannoch where it's easy to read it as it just taunting you about your prospects of reconciling the geth and quarians to help in the war effort rather than the overall Reaper motivations. So if you don't have Javik, or any other DLC, the star child's randomly going on about how the whole plot of the series was actually about robots vs animals seems to come out of fucking nowhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Horse Armor

This was kind of the flavor of the month around that time though, there are a ton of developers that did it but EA probably did it in the most egregious ways.

Dead Space 3's Awakened DLC was pretty fucking important and was basically a paid epilogue.

Mass Effect as a series in general had a whole bunch of important bits chopped off and sold as DLC though. Leviathan was already mentioned but was possibly even more relevant than Javik.

burialsociety

Feb 7, 2018
IIRC a companion needed to be cut for the game to meet its release date. The VS, Tali, Liara, and Garrus obviously could be cut for DLC. Vega couldn't because he existed to be an exposition bot for new players. EDI couldn't because she's a member of the cast anyway. That left Javik. I don't even like Bioware anymore, but I don't see what else they could've done short of delaying the game again. I guess you could go super cynical and say that the devs were just lying. But given how turbulent the game's development was and how Bioware games have always clearly had cut content I see no reason to not believe them.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
IIRC a companion needed to be cut for the game to meet its release date. The VS, Tali, Liara, and Garrus obviously could be cut for DLC. Vega couldn't because he existed to be an exposition bot for new players. EDI couldn't because she's a member of the cast anyway. That left Javik. I don't even like Bioware anymore, but I don't see what else they could've done short of delaying the game again. I guess you could go super cynical and say that the devs were just lying. But given how turbulent the game's development was and how Bioware games have always clearly had cut content I see no reason to not believe them.
But he was there on release day... they just decided to charge an extra 10 dollars for having a companion that's insanely important.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that first one has sauerkraut on it under the mustard, not onions.

Sauerkraut and mustard is fantastic on sausage.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Bioware got pretty rotten with DLC hooks. From the giant holes in Andromeda where DLC clearly would have went before it all got canned, to people showing up in your camp in Dragon Age that would pop up the BUY DLC message if you tried to talk to them.

rofl, I remember that from Dragon Age. The jerk in your camp who wants real life money to go solve his problem. It's almost kind of funny as a gag, like something in the Onion.

I went into Mass Effect 3 thinking: "whatever, people like to bitch about dlc. I'm sure it's fine." But it most definitely was not! Also, at least on the origin store, that shit NEVER went on sale. I had From Ashes, but I never got to play the big leviathan lore dump.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
But he was there on release day... they just decided to charge an extra 10 dollars for having a companion that's insanely important.
Yeah, the argument could've been made for why he wasn't on the disc due to printing deadlines, but there was no reason why people had to buy a $70 collectors edition (that I bought, but I got it for $60 so I didn't complain) to get him included in the box.

burialsociety

Feb 7, 2018
I don't disagree that putting a price tag on the DLC was a bad move. But the common narrative is that Javik was purposely cut to sell as DLC later on and there's just no evidence of that. It's not unusual for that sort of content to be partly finished during development and ultimately finished after the game has gone gold. The same happened with Shale in Origins.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, the argument could've been made for why he wasn't on the disc due to printing deadlines, but there was no reason why people had to buy a $70 collectors edition (that I bought, but I got it for $60 so I didn't complain) to get him included in the box.
Mass Effect 3 was the first and last CE I ever bought lmao. What a gut punch that was.

Also: Dragon Age Origins is a bad game.

/hides
:/

Not even close

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I'll never forget beating the game and then getting that screen with what seemed like a heartfelt message at first l only for ot to end in telling me to buy some DLC, like damn, no shame.

But yeah the Javik fiasco was ridiculous, I didn't buy it, fuck them. Still waiting one day for a version with all the DLC included.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Despite platinuming Mass Effect 3, I have yet to see the new patched ending nor the Leviathan DLC, as I stopped playing before they even were released.

I'm looking forward to watching Alex Navarro play the game so I can finally see how EA rectified the game's story.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Despite platinuming Mass Effect 3, I have yet to see the new patched ending nor the Leviathan DLC, as I stopped playing before they even were released.

I'm looking forward to watching Alex Navarro play the game so I can finally see how EA rectified the game's story.
Rectified is a strong word.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Definitely ONE OF the shittiest things. For me, the real ending of Asura's Wrath being sold as DLC is still the absolute worst.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ dude. I'm one of those weirdos that loved ME3, including the original ending, but having never replayed Leviathan I just read a synopsis. Wtf man. How was this not in the base game. They could've so easily used this and added something to the end where the Leviathans help Sheppard do something to the intelligence and have an actual boss to finish the game. Fuck man.

How dare you slander our lord and savior Marauder Shields ?

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Leviathan is a GIGANTIC piece of story, but it's just extra story to know your enemy, Javik in the other hand... he breaks the game, ME3 is a vastly different game with him around, Thessia isn't the same depressing mission when he is in your game, i didn't have the time to be angry at Kai Leng the first time i beat the mission with Javik around, it was mind blowing.
But yeah, both are shitty.

it helps explain the entire ending of the trilogy. I'd consider that more than just extra story. Still a shit ending but at least you aren't left going "What the fuck was that?".

I agree Javik is an essential part of the game though.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part of the revised ending is that they removed something that I thought I was the only person to notice. When the Normandy is outracing the shockwave, there's a short closeup shot of Joker turning around to look at it. Okay, think about that again: Joker is at the front of a like 500 foot long spaceship and he turns around and looks at the door out of the cockpit and into the bridge and CIC as if he can see the shockwave behind the ship, like he's in a car and there's a window right behind him.

I don't remember if they changed Joker's hat wires.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is an insane thing to do, Javik HAS TO BE in Thessia.
IIRC you had to choose saving Javik or Virmire survivor in the first version of ME3's script, that was his main mission (like Tuchanka was for Wrex/Mordin, Rannoch for Tali/Legion, Horizon for Miranda, Kahje for Thane/Kasumi )
Yeah, technically he wasn't cut from the game for DLC, but the data mined script from the demo showed that he was originally a vital element of the game. Could the writing changes have been influenced by DLC plans? Perhaps, but aside from Virmire 2.0 that was a bit too on the nose, his involvement was the better glue for the story. I mean, iirc:

*Virmire survivor is attached to Cereal Killer as part of an effort to uncover and transport an important Prothrean find, including Javik.

*Cereal Killer's influence is what made the V.S. initially hostile to Shepard, rather than solely some ass pulls about his death and Cerberus

*Each location has a clearer goal in the larger fight because of Javik. It gave more of an agency than some half

*His views were important in understanding the overall conflict and where things have gone wrong and failed on their end. In some ways, he was the ghostly echoing voice of that of the Reapers from their last cull.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't have enjoyed the game half as much without Javik.

ME2's DLCs were bullshit too, there was a shit t ton of them, especially on PC where you had to go on bioware's website.

ME1 has DLC you can't install anymore

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Agreed, appalling. One day I hope to get to play the trilogy again with the DLC but EA made such a shit show out of the whole thing.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part of the revised ending is that they removed something that I thought I was the only person to notice. When the Normandy is outracing the shockwave, there's a short closeup shot of Joker turning around to look at it. Okay, think about that again: Joker is at the front of a like 500 foot long spaceship and he turns around and looks at the door out of the cockpit and into the bridge and CIC as if he can see the shockwave behind the ship, like he's in a car and there's a window right behind him.

I don't remember if they changed Joker's hat wires.
this is hilarious

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood this complaint, he was free when you bought the game. So several million people got him up front. It's not like there was a huge chunk of people at launch not playing with Javik.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood this complaint, he was free when you bought the game. So several million people got him up front. It's not like there was a huge chunk of people at launch not playing with Javik.
Yes there was. He was not free when you bought the game, unless you bought a specific more expensive edition that ran out before launch.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that they still never released ANY version of this game with all DLC included.

And, yeah, Javik was pretty damn essential. I can't imagine ME3 without him.

Where the hell is our Trilogy Remaster with all the content, EA?

I was planning on doing a replay of the trilogy and see they still charge full price for the DLC. Fucking EA.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still didn't play Asura's Wrath ending because it's locked behind DLC. So pissed about it

Oct 27, 2017
It was a travesty, Javik is not only a great addition from a lore perspective, but he's fucking hilarious in almost every scenario.

so much so that I 100% believe that they should change the squad limit from 2 to 3 so Javik can be in your squad at all times.