• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
One of the greatest games of all time and the greatest final level of all time. No other final level even comes close to what they did with the Suicide Mission.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
One of the best games and sequels ever made.

USGamer did a cool retrospective on Garrus's place in the trilogy, but specifically 2. Looking back, it is impressive how a sequel to a game less than three years old was able to build up nostalgia for Garrus.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I wanna make a thread on it one day but I genuinely believe as far as combat mechanics go Mass Effect 3 is one of the best third person shooters to exist. People argue that it's Vanquish or Uncharted or Whatever but it's mostly the movement with them that's so good. The actual fighting shooting of enemies is stellar in ME3.

There's so much customisation and combinations as well you can do. The physics engine was a lot more dynamic so you could do crazy stuff like map Liaras biotics to the left D-pad button and Garruses concussive shot to the right. Then tap left and tap right so she raises an enemy into the air and (if you aim slightly to the side) his shot curves and sends them flying off the map. That's how I cheesed my way through most of Insanity.
The customization was great. Granted, I haven't played ME2 for years now, but from what I remember the best squad mates were the ones with assault rifles. Everyone else, regardless of their powers, was just not that great. ME3 really turned that around by making powers much more important and I think every party member had at least one power that could combo. This actually made characters like Kaidan incredibly good because he had two powers that combo'd with both "schools" (tech and biotic)... and to top it off, access to assault rifles.

I was recently thinking about the weapon system for Shepard themselves and how well it's done compared to similar modern RPGs that try to let the player do everything. In a game like Skyrim I feel the removal of classes makes the leveling system and character building feel shallower compared to earlier installments. It's too easy to be anything and there aren't many meaninful choices to be made. BioWare did it right by letting you use (almost) every weapon you wanted to use, but with drawbacks depending on your class and skillset. These drawbacks were impactful, but never to the point of crippling you. A power based class like the Adept could still use heavier weapons like assault rifles, sniper rifles and shotguns, but the heavier the weapon(s), the longer their cooldowns would be. Yet not every assault rifle has the same weight, nor the same handling. And that's not even touching on the mods that influence weight, recoil, etc. All this really forced the player to seriously consider their strategy. For example:

"I'm a Vanguard, so I'm all about charging in and blasting enemies with my shotgun. This does leave me at a disadvantage at ranges my Charge can't reach, which was something of an issue in previous levels. I could equip a sniper rifle, but this extends the cooldown on Charge by a few seconds. I need to use Charge as often as possible because it recharges my barriers and I won't survive long without them in close combat. Can I compensate by being smarter about where and when I Charge? Or should I give up on the sniper rifle entirely and settle for a scoped handgun?"

Et cetera, et cetera.

The funny thing is that the Mass Effect series is famous for its meaninful choices and resulting replayability. But I played through ME3 a dozen times making mostly the same choices every time—it was the combat that made me play the game over and over.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about going back for another playthrough for a while now, but I keep deciding against it since I already have something of a backlog going. This thread really makes me want to say fuck it and dive back in though.

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious now... are the servers still up for this on PC?

Yes. AFAIK it uses peer to peer networking though, so you'll be matched with whoever around the world and might get an assortment of lag.

But yes, I agree with everything you said. ME3's multiplayer is one of my all time favourites, and I certainly never expected it to be. Tight, snappy, rewarding combat with a great breadth of character builds and variety. Had the charm of a fighting game or MOBA in the sense of a large roster composed of unique characters with special abilities, but the interactivity of a real time shooter. Love love loved it.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I loved them all except for the last hour of 3 (so bad it made me not play them again for 5 years). 1 is still my favorite as it just felt more like something unique and new, and it's world building and narrative we're far more interesting to me. 2 was more fun to play, and was more "blockbuster" like, but it felt like it dropped a lot of the cool world building from the first.

a better way to say this: 1 felt like areally good Star Trek episode. 2 And 3 felt like Star Wars movies. All good, but I prefer star trek

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
I played this a ton, really loved the giant sniper rifle you could get with the infiltrator. I hated the ammo though, the lore states that the heat sinks are universal but in-game each gun had it's own pool. Made running out of ammo annoying

May 26, 2018
The game that made me really care about the other characters. Garrus, Tali, Liara, Mordin, Thane, Legion... Imaginary friends who got to share space with me, long after someone should have any.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This was the game I was playing when I finally upgraded from a CRT to LCD and boy what a difference that made.

A total masterpiece, I wish this Bioware still existed

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Three is my favourite, but ME2 is the first of them I played and still has a very strong place in my all time best list. An absolute triumph of character writing and the best final dungeon of all time.

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
Im trying to find my ME1 save on 360 but It not here! :(
Should I just start fresh?

Last edited:

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the beginning of the end for Bioware. Despite being a great game. I will always point to this game when I am critical of them. A great RPG dev reduced to basically action game leftovers. Terrible.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
This was the beginning of the end for Bioware. Despite being a great game. I will always point to this game when I am critical of them. A great RPG dev reduced to basically action game leftovers. Terrible.

And yet it features some of their best character writing in any of their games and a ton of meaningful interactions and choices.

In terms of actually role playing a character, ME2 was far stronger than Me1 in that respect.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
While the character-driven narrative of ME2 is simply superb, I put more time Into ME3. Why? On account of the multiplayer, a ridiculously engaging horde. Together with the refined combat, the combo system in ME3 is so innovative. It makes teamwork so dynamic. I have no idea why other games haven't copied it. It's pure genius.

Also, the classes and kits were so well-designed. Even though the skill lines appeared deceptively short and simple, it was possible to build your character in different, meaningful ways. The strengths of some kits would only become apparent over time.For example, at first glance, the Volus Vanguard seemed like a joke. It was until I'd played it for a couple of weeks that I realised how OP it was. Contrary to my expectation, it was the ultimate tank, so beastly I did my Platinum solo with it. Good times.

New Mass Effect can't come soon enough. Thanks for reminding me of the anniversary, Shinobi. I think I might go dust the trilogy down for a replay!

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe hold off on that just a bit longer.

tenor.gif

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Probably the game of the last decade. An absolute masterpiece of storytelling and game design. Basically a TPS with plenty of tactical options to keep combat deep and interesting with top notch world building and a scale that felt like a Star Trek movie. Never have I felt more like a team on an adventure than in ME2.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I'm finished up my latest trilogy run through right now, just finished Citadel DLC.

"We've had a good ride"
"...The best"

tenor.gif

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Happy 10th one of the best games of my lifetime.

Still remember playing through that suicide mission the first time. Knowing that a single bad move could cause one of my companions to get killed .. harrowing and thrilling at the same time.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
People talk about wanting the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster, but I wonder what they actually want?

Do you want it to be a "warts and all" recreation? Mass Effect 1 gun combat, inventory management, Mako driving etc.

Or do you want it to be a "hits the main points" remake? Modern combat (possibly inspired by Andromeda?) but keep the story, writing, dialogue interactions etc. all in a 4K HDR 60hz beautifully rendered engine.

Would you want the remaster to treat each game in the trilogy the same, or different systems for different games?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
People talk about wanting the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster, but I wonder what they actually want?

Do you want it to be a "warts and all" recreation? Mass Effect 1 gun combat, inventory management, Mako driving etc.

Or do you want it to be a "hits the main points" remake? Modern combat (possibly inspired by Andromeda?) but keep the story, writing, dialogue interactions etc. all in a 4K HDR 60hz beautifully rendered engine.

Would you want the remaster to treat each game in the trilogy the same, or different systems for different games?

I want them to fix the issues like the awful combat, mako driving in the first game etc but knowing EA it will be a lackluster remaster, the same game with higher resolution and FPS

Oct 27, 2017
I recently picked up my old copy from my parents' house the other day...been meaning to replay it and now is as good a time as any!

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
it's a game that changed how i see sci-fi. i cannot see it in my shelf because i feel a urge to replay it, the feeling, the characters and the missions were awe inspiring, it has flaws yes, trimmed down RPG and exploration but the balance still very positive.

it's the best Star Wars game ever made, hehe.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I want them to re-release Mass Effect 1 and then make two more games that actually follow up on it.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
it's a game that changed how i see sci-fi. i cannot see it in my shelf because i feel a urge to replay it, the feeling, the characters and the missions were awe inspiring, it has flaws yes, trimmed down RPG and exploration but the balance still very positive.

it's the best Star Wars game ever made, hehe.

I hated scifi before i tried the ME games recommended by my friends. It changed everything

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
This game still gets under my skin a bit. I remember that feeling when I realized that all I'm going to get out of a chest is 50xp and an omnigel. Game felt like it was turned into a 3rd person shooter with dialog options. Wrex not being recruitable was the fuck you cherry on top, I needed my bash brother.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still can't believe this trilogy didn't get remastered for this generation.

It's a crime against the fans and gamers in general.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
My replays have been waiting for the inevitable remasters, as well.

It's not a matter of if, but when. Sounds like it could be coming soon, too.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I listened to this in my album folder again. Man, it's so good.

I don't just want a remaster, I want a director's cut edition of all 3 games with finely combed touch-ups by BioWare's designers and a rearranged/remastered soundtrack managed by Sam Hulick and Jack Wall.

I think ME3's original pieces would benefit greatly from Jack Wall touching them up a bit.

Also, there's a video from last year of Sam and Jack discussing their work on the trilogy. Very insightful stuff. (I've timestamped to talking about ME2)

They talk about Suicide Mission at 34:22

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I listened to this in my album folder again. Man, it's so good.

I don't just want a remaster, I want a director's cut edition of all 3 games with finely combed touch-ups by BioWare's designers and a rearranged/remastered soundtrack managed by Sam Hulick and Jack Wall.

I think ME3's original pieces would benefit greatly from Jack Wall touching them up a bit.

Also, there's a video from last year of Sam and Jack discussing their work on the trilogy. Very insightful stuff. (I've timestamped to talking about ME2)

They talk about Suicide Mission at 34:22

Did you catch a series Gametrailer did with the composers of Mass Effect trulogy? That stuff was awesome but I believe it's gone now.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's sad that it has been a decade since Bioware has made a great game. I have very fond memories of their old games.

But ME1 and 2 were some of the best things (If not the best things) from that generation, and I'm glad we got them.

Too bad that spark is long gone.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's sad that it has been a decade since Bioware has made a great game. I have very fond memories of their old games.

But ME1 and 2 were some of the best things (If not the best things) from that generation, and I'm glad we got them.

Too bad that spark is long gone.
C'mon, Inquisition is a great game.