• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Who the hell said only the first one was good? Personally I found the whole story of ME3 labrious and that it ignored almost all the things you worked towards in the first two games. I was out well before the ending.

That said the multiplayer was fire and I played the shit out of it.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Who the hell is saying 2 is a bad game? 3 is hardly a bad game either, although the ending was underwhelming.
Mass Effect is one of my favorite franchises and has only one bad game.
249.gif
What the fuck is this?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
My trilogy ranking is very unnusual:

ME > ME3 > ME2

Don't get me wrong, 2 is an amazing game. But it's basically filler.

I never felt urgency during the whole game.

ME 3 was amazing with a lot of emotional weight. So many memorable scenes.

The ending wasnt great, but the whole game was ace, and despite having finished it a long time ago, I have a lot of memories from it

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't think there is a ME2 hatred on Era, it was ranked above ME1 in the Essential RPG list, for example.
Yes but there is consistently an underdog group that assumes that because the main plot of ME2 had X and Y issue it meant the game must be objectively bad or something, not at all accounting for the excellent narrative design or tight game direction it has.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't believe it's a good way to measure which games are good or not

Same way I dont believe in favorite games rankings. My taste change over months and years
Okay, I can understand that because I don't always agree with consensus either. But I can guarantee you that other thread with the poll was a direct reaction to your thread.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So me 2 doesn't need defending, but me 3 I feel like if you ignore the ign npc and you ignore the last 10 minutes it's pretty damn good as an ending

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
Whoever says any of the Mass Effect Trilogy games are bad hasn't truly played a bad video game. I even agree that ME2 was a letdown (but still a good game) and ME3 was really disappointing. But none of those games are straightup bad. Far from it, in fact.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
sure, they're good to decent games, they're just not as good as Mass Effect 1.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Between From the Ashes and Leviathan, the most interesting lore in that game is all external to the core purchase.

But yeah, argue back and forth about differing DLC being ripped from a game and sold separately, that one is beyond question. It was not cool.
It's probably the most blatant case of something that was intended to be in the base game that was taken out at close to the literal last minute to be sold as pre-order/Day-1 dlc I've ever seen. Comparing the amount of dialogue and unique interactions he gets vs Zaeed and Kasumi in 2 only makes it more obvious.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
2 is amazing, it got me hooked on the series and I absolutely loved it, it was an experience like no other.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2 was successful but taught BioWare all the wrong lessons. It marked the beginning of BioWare's turn away from slow, in-depth RPGs and towards fast, relatively straightforward action games.

There may be things to like in ME2 and 3, but they are not good sequels to the original.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
The whole trilogy is great. The ending of 3 was disappointing, but I still loved the rest of the game.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't believe it's a good way to measure which games are good or not

Same way I dont believe in favorite games rankings. My taste change over months and years
I don't think that's what the person who suggested it wanted to measure; they wanted to demonstrate that your assertion that it's you vs. the raving hordes of ME1 super fans is inaccurate.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
If Mass Effect 2 still had the planet exploration instead of scanning, it would have been pretty much perfect.

The game turned me into a bit of a PC snob too. I wasn't happy with the performance of the original game on 360. Playing the second game with a nice smooth framerate and no texture pop-in was pretty glorious.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."

:(
The scene can be heartbreaking in both the Paragon and the Renegade version. Watching him sacrifice himself to undo what he had done to give a new hope to the Krogans, or shoot your former ally and friend in the back only to watch him desperately crawl to his death. All interwoven with the choices made in ME1 and ME2. Just incredible.

Jan 29, 2018
If they hadn't committed to the trilogy structure they could have made Mass Effect 2 over and over again. Each one would be like a season of a TV show - an larger story you check in on throughout the game but mostly episodic stories (loyalty missions) filling it out. I would kill to spend more time exploring that universe.

Edit: I also just recently started a replay of ME2 on PC (with a controller mod). It's wonderful to play it with better performance, but apparently the DLC isn't on Steam? And the DLC is a million dollars on Steam?

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No one hated 2. 3 was very disappointing. The multiplayer had more play for me than the campaign.

BeEatNU

Oct 27, 2017
I loved all 3 tbh, I literally just hated the last 15mins of ME3.
Everything about the series is definitely in my top fav.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eating high-quality pizza and eating feces are both great and I'm tired of pretending they're not!

(Mass Effect 2 is the pizza)

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Don't peer pressure OP into liking polls!
I ain't...but I wouldn't need to anyway since we have that other thread with the poll now
ya of course, but I would never call it a "bad" game. Nobody said it's perfect, but it has a lot of great moments and is a good entry in the Mass Effect franchise overall.
I guess yeah, the presentation and performance of the game is pretty polished so it's not fair to call it a "bad" game in the most objective sense but because I hate the game so much my personal opinion is that it's bad.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
Mass Effect 2 is one of my top 10 games of all time. ME 1 and 3 are not in my top 10. One of my favorite series by far though in general.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Huh? Mass Effect 2 is pretty beloved. One of my all time favourites and i rarely see someone criticizing it.

And i'm right there with you. Loved Mass Effect 3 too. I'm quite fine about the ending.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Huh? Who pretends Mass Effect 2 at least isn't a good game? Mass Effect 2 has been and is widely praised, and rightly so.

It's Mass Effect 3 people like to pretend was a total dumpster fire when it was really just the ending that was awful. Other than that total embarrassment of an ending, the rest of ME 3 was great.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
ME 3 had 40mins of awfulness at the end. The rest of the 40+ hours I played were fantastic.
ME 2 wa fantasric all around

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
The only disappointing I can think of is the soundtrack.
Sure there are some good music in the 2nd and 3rd game.
What a downgrade from the 1st game.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
ME2 and ME3 aren't bad games, the scope just changed. I really enjoyed the recruiting missions in ME2 but everything around the edges was constricted. The citadel was smaller and so were the areas you played through in the missions. ME3 turned into a full on corridor shooter. The citadel was even smaller than in ME2 and the missions and play areas were even more restricted. The soundtrack was also far worse in ME2 and ME3. ME1's soundtrack is one of the greatest.

I like ME1 the best because it feels big and vast. The mako was the best. You really felt like you were on an alien planet. ME2 should have fleshed out these planets and instead they removed the free roam completely and just had you run through hallways shooting guys. It wasn't as good as it could have been.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Fairly certain most people would consider them good games overall. It's literally just that ending or final hour in ME3 that leaves a massive sour taste IMO. Otherwise it's a great trilogy and it's shame that Andromeda seemingly put in the fridge for a long while.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm not sure where your perceived hate for ME 2 is coming from, it's generally considered the best in the series, but i do agree that the ME 3 hate is way overblown, the game is great up until the last two hours.

But andromeda can go suck an rotten egg.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
ME3 is just a failure on a narrative and thematic level outside of the Genophage storyline in terms of the main quests.

The Rannoch and Cerberus quest lines are almost as absurd and poorly thought out as the ending.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
I have a weird opinion about the way the story turns out in 3.

The first 2 games have a lot of personal stories, and conflict between races, with the looming threat of the Reapers in the background.

Once 3 rolls around, the Reapers are on the offensive, and the puny organic races are scrambling to finish the only hope they have left to survive, the Crucible.

In the grand scheme of things, all of those personal stories and conflicts mean absolutely nothing, the Reapers are a civilization destroying "evil" force that cares nothing for the squabbles of the humans and Cerberus, or the tensions between the Humans and the Turians from the first contact war. Or the Krogan genophage.

It literally means nothing to them, and the fact that once you get to London, everything has turned to so much shit, and organics are on such the backfoot, that any inkling of the stuff you have done, or the conflicts between races, does not matter any more, because if this fails, its all gone anyway.

To sum it up, in the face of annihilation, all our petty squabbles, and even our relationships don't really matter. Survival is the only thing that matters. And throwing everything away to deal with the Reapers is portrayed kinda well by the ending.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
ME2 is great and if ME1 never had more options when it came to leveling up your character and loot, then I would think more highly of it. ME3 is another story. The closure for some of the characters and the multiplayer are the only big positives. The squad, fighting Cerberus and the setpieces were all lackluster.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Both games are amazing. The ending in the third is one of the worst things to ever happen in or to a game, but that says nothing about the overall quality of the game and it's gameplay.