• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't quite get the ME3 hate. It was epic all the way through. The last 5 minutes were like....eh? W/e, I'm chill.

It wasn't a Game of Thrones tier ending.
I had a much worse reaction to ME3 ending than Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones was on a pretty clear decline for like a few years, while Mass Effect 3 carried on from 2 pretty much as expected for the most part, and in my opinion really started getting more interesting storywise as it got closer to the ending. Then it just... ended with so little fanfare and so little importance placed on your prior choices that I was convinced I had done something to get the bad ending. When I found out I had actually gotten the best one, I was like, profoundly disappointed. Like, actually felt numb for a few days disappointed.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most people don't consider 2 to be a bad game, just a lesser RPG than 1. On the other hand, who fucking cares what other people think? If you like the games and think they're good, great! Why let other people dictate what you think you can or can't like?

Jun 17, 2018
I loved all 3 of them and I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't, unless of course the style of game doesn't suit them. I never got to finish the 3rd game since I was busy with life but that didn't make it bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Isn't Mass Effect 2 one of the most beloved RPGs ever? And Mass Effect 3 is generally considered very good except for some missteps and its ending? What an odd thing to pretend about and to be tired of.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Anybody who thinks Mass Effect 2 is bad is definitely a very small minority, most people regard it as the best in the series. As for 3, it's good, but definitely falls short compared to the other 2.

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
ME3 is a great game. The ending is what got people up in arms (including myself). I think if they had stuck the landing it would be considered on par with 2. I loved the whole series though and consider the 1st to be my favorite in terms of narrative.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
ME2 is the best Mass Effect game overall. And three is mostly great, save for the last 10 minutes when the game springs its end scenario on you- yeah they shit the bed with that. But the 30 hours preceding that- still mostly brilliant stuff- the way you could resolve things or not resolve things involving characters or even the fate of entire races and plot threads that developed over three games (and see some pretty unpleasant endings for beloved characters if you made bad choices or just wanted to be an evil dick to them)- it was pretty swell. Mostly.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Since when is ME2 being talked down? It's been in a lot of top 10 of the decade lists, I don't know who's making you think you have to pretend to dislike it (not that I have any idea why anybody should pretend to like/dislike anything).

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Mass Effect 2 improved on the overall game play, but damn if I'm still not salty over them removing finding equipment, trimming the skill tree, and not having Wrex as a party member. Over all I'm still more fond of the first one over the other 2, but they weren't bad.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They are b-tier shooters with a cool setting, some light rpg elements and a convoluted story. Solid but nothing groundbreaking.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
However, there are people who believe that the sequels are bad and it reached to the point where I HAVE to pretend they're bad and only the first game is good.
W-why...would you do this lol?

They're widely considered to be great games by tons of people, and if someone doesn't like them that's perfectly fine. I can't understand being so unsure about my own taste in games that other people's opinions would have a tangible effect on what I felt or did.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
You're so brave to finally speak out, OP

The thread where people were talking about stuff they liked in 1 really did hurt you, didn't it?

Jesus, is this the same song and dance where Mass Effect 1 is the only good game and the sequels are bad?

I'm tired of pretending Mass Effect 2 and 3 are bad games.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why were you pretending they were bad in the first place?

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't a Game of Thrones tier ending.

You're right, it was far, far worse.

Mass Effect 2 is a great game, but it's unquestionably where the series tipped over the edge and starting falling towards it's lowest points. As Drew Karpyshyn put it:

"But as we grew and became more successful, things changed. We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had

This is pretty evident in Mass Effect 2, where the game became a bog-standard cover shooter first, RPG second in order to target the widest possible audience, they were chasing that Gears of War craze.

I love ME2, there are stil amazing characters, amazing moments, but it's unquestionably where it started going downhill, EA was not happy with a niche and intelligent sci-fi series, they wanted a blockbuster aimed at the lowest common denominator, so out with the nuance, in with the market research and what's currently fashionable.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Go get it, OP! You got this.
Dont let anyone tell you that those games with a 90 score on Metacritic, multiple GOTY nominations and wins and praised by millions of people are bad.
I, for one, admire your controversial, and yet so brave, opinion.

Seriously, how is this a thread?

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
I think its quite clear that Mass Effect 2 is an overall beloved game.

Mass Effect 3, however, has some brilliant moments, like the Rannoch arc, and best being of course the Tuchanka arc (that Mordin scene in the elevator is among the best moments in gaming). The problem is that for all the amazing stuff it does, you have really bad things to even out like Cerberus in general, the lack of ME2 squadmates and of course the ending. Its a game with great highs and awful lows sadly.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This wasn't an issue or real thing in the ME1 thread where you proclaimed this the first time and it's still not one now.

They're highly rated and successful games, especially ME2. The fact that people care for and miss certain elements, aspects and design choices in ME1 doesn't mean ME2 or ME3 are bad or shitty.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Who are these people holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to say Mass Effect 2 is bad?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are you sure it's not just BAD that hates 2?

3 is fine.
You and Hawkster just didn't read the OP of the thread he is reacting to I guess and that's fine but I love ME2 and 3 and said as much. No need to make a counter thread within a couple hours of the original thread with some false premise that could have just been argued rationally in the original topic.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coupling ME2 with three seems like a mistake since ME2 is widely regarded as the best in the series, winning many GOTYs and does well in every best of the decade retrospective.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
You realize that nowhere in that opinion is the sinister threat that you also need to fall in line, right? This is fascinating to watch. People are allowed to like different things.

Edit: Am I oppressing you if I were to tell you, right here, hand on heart, that I like the first game the most of the trilogy?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
You and Hawkster just didn't read the OP of the thread he is reacting to I guess and that's fine but I love ME2 and 3 and said as much. No need to make a counter thread within a couple hours of the original thread with some false premise that could have just been argued rationally in the original topic.

I'm just giving you a hard time lol

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
The whole trilogy is awesome, even though the three games are flawed in some way.

Remember that even if everybody posting here agreed on Mass Effect 1 being the only good game, we represent a very small part of the gaming community, not to mention many people here shares very similar tastes and opinions that doesn't necessarily reflect what's popular everywhere else, like the strong preference for single player games over multiplayer ones, dislike of the first person perspective, etc. So don't hold the "era consensus" as the absolute truth, they are just opinions, after all.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
ME2's atmosphere was great. I hope we'll see Omega again.
I couldn't handle ME3's writing, but there has yet to be an MP mode I've enjoyed more than ME3's MP.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
Mass effect 2 is a great game even stand-alone.
Mass effect 1 is a good game that has aged poorly.
Mass Effect 3 was a rushed game that dumbed down a lot of the mechanics and an unsatisfying ending. DLC (citadel especially) and extended ending somewhat redeemed it down the line.

However Mass Effect as a trilogy is GOAT for sure.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Mass Effect 1 is a good game and I'm tired of pretending it isn't, just because so many peiple started with 2 and think 1 is too janky, while sequels just removed the apsects that had problems instead of trying to fix them.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Settle down, no one is saying 2 is a bad game. However it isn't an RPG and imo the story was far less interesting than the first game and there's nothing wrong with people being disappointed with how the series turned out.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Mass Effect 1 is a good game and I'm tired of pretending it isn't, just because so many peiple started with 2 and think 1 is too janky, while sequels just removed the apsects that had problems instead of trying to fix them.

cool not to give into perceived peer pressure, but this ^

disappointed that bioware started streamlining and shifting toward a more action heavy/edgy feel.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I know I sound like I'm being hyperbolic and acting like I have a persecution complex

But its about peer pressure, ya know? If I act like Mass Effect 2/3 are bad and only Mass Effect 1 is good, I would feel more welcomed. But if I live my own truth and decide that Mass Effect 2 and 3 are great games as well......

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I sound like I'm being hyperbolic and acting like I have a persecution complex

But its about peer pressure, ya know? If I act like Mass Effect 2/3 are bad and only Mass Effect 1 is good, I would feel more welcomed. But if I live my own truth and decide that Mass Effect 2 and 3 are great games as well......
Wait

you like ME3???

*bullies you*

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Mass Effect 3's story may have been bad, but the multiplayer made up for it. So overall I would still call it a good game.