• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, still my all time favorite OST of any game I've played. So many incredible synthwave tracks to get lost in. Just perfectly nails that 70's sci-fi atmosphere.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I recognize that Mass Effect 2 was probably a better game, but I think Mass Effect is my favorite between the two.

Nov 28, 2017
"FIRE THE FIELDS THE WEED IS SOWN!
WATER DOWN YOUR EMPTY SOUUUUUUULLLLLL!
WAKE THE SEA OF SILENT HOPE!
WATER DOWN YOUR EMPTY SOUUUUUUUUULLLLLL!"

"AND I NEED YOU TO RECOVER!
BECAUSE I CAN'T MAKE IT ON MY OWWWWWWWNNNNN!"

This was stuck in my head so much that I used to murmur this for an entire year at the office.

Still goosebumps thinking about that last hour, right from Sovereign's V.I. encounter, till the Council and Anderson briefing and transition to the credits.

The days when BioWare were absolute madlads. What a fuckin' ride...

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The moody, contemplative synth themes were incredible and lost mostly in the sequels. Shame they went for more standard scoring.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Mass Effect 1 and Metroid Prime's OSTs are in a completely untouched league of their own when it comes to Sci-Fi atmosphere. No other games OSTs even come close to the type of feelings that you get while playing them, just completely sucking you into the worlds.

Edit: As noted by Cranster below, Halos 1-3 definitely belong in that echelon too. Alexander Brandon's work on Unreal/Deus Ex definitely comes close as well.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 1 and Metroid Prime's OSTs are in a completely untouched league of their own when it comes to Sci-Fi atmosphere. No other games OSTs even come close to the type of feelings that you get while playing them, just completely sucking you into the worlds.

I'd put Halo up there easily.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 1 is one of the rare games where I can listen to most of the tracks and know where precisely in the game they play. It's hard to put into words on how much the Ilos and Vigil themes resonated with me during the final act; definitely some of BioWare's best work.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the OST one this one is sublime. It really added to the sense of mystery in the world too. Probably why the next 2 never lived up to it for me. I feel like I spent an eternity making sure no stone was unturned at the citadel. 7 full playthroughs too

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, the soundtrack of ME is still unmatched.

The music in that game made the exploration more enjoyable.

Sadly the later games lacked both good music and exploration.

Jan 4, 2018
Mass Effect's music stuck with me. I liked 2, 3, and Andromeda's soundtracks too. But Mass Effect 1 was something genuinely master class. The others felt like they were "epic" scores, but ME1 had a soundtrack that captured something really different. It had a heart that fit perfectly into the universe it was created for.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Screenshot-Original.png

This image should be burned into my TV from me leaving it on just to listen to the music.

Mass Effect 1's soundtrack is perfection. Vigil's theme, the Galaxy Map, Noveria... All incredible. Every time I hear the end credits song I want to start another playthrough.

The Outer World's soundtrack has a lot of different styles in it, but Roseway really captured the feel of Mass Effect 1 -- both the music and the questline. Check it out if you haven't heard it already.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Screenshot-Original.png

This image should be burned into my TV from me leaving it on just to listen to the music.

Mass Effect 1's soundtrack is perfection. Vigil's theme, the Galaxy Map, Noveria... All incredible. Every time I hear the end credits song I want to start another playthrough.

The Outer World's soundtrack has a lot of different styles in it, but Roseway really captured the feel of Mass Effect 1 -- both the music and the questline. Check it out if you haven't heard it already.

As a Sci-Fi game, The Outer Worlds was a massive disappointment for me. It didn't feel like a sci-fi game at all. It was more or less what they were going for, but I think they missed the mark.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack definitely had a darker, synth heavy edge compared to the sequels, which I missed tbh.
The eerie music that played during numerous side missions helped lessened the aggravating nature of them.

perineumlick

Nov 12, 2017
I remember when ME1 first came out; I scored an early copy due to Kmart screwing up. They sold it like 10 days before street date. I made a thread in the old place about my love for the game and it's soundtrack; it had such a profound effect on me, a true masterpiece. At the time it was my favorite Microsoft exclusive, by far!

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Yep. I can accept the areas where 2 and 3 refined things, but the music was so perfect in 1.

And if anything, it's so much harder to get it right in the first installment of a new universe.

What a fantastic game...!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As a Sci-Fi game, The Outer Worlds was a massive disappointment for me. It didn't feel like a sci-fi game at all. It was more or less what they were going for, but I think they missed the mark.
While it is one of my favourite games of the year, I do hope they lean further into Sci-Fi for the eventual sequels. It was clearly a game where the budget restricted what they could do.

The ending (at least the one I got) implies that science and technology has evolved significantly in Halcyon. It also references other colonies, which could mean we will visit multiple systems just like Mass Effect. Then there is of course the mystery of Earth.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the music from exploring planets was very hypnotic, and if I played late at night it would put me to sleep. Great ambiance and an awesome throwback to 70s era sci fi that the other entries didnt lean into as much

GrayFox

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree. It's amazing.
My favorites are Vigil, Uncharted Worlds and Spectre Induction.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Still my favourite out of the trilogy. Would love to go back and experience it again. I suppose I should give andromeda a go soon too

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Vigil might be my favorite menu music ever because it's such a great understated tone setter for what game is offering: a sweeping space opera filled with episodic adventures into a galaxy full of planets and species to be explored. But what your introduction into it is is this slow, meditative, synth heavy build up which creates that sense of massive scale in a somber way.

fucking magical

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I miss the time in my life when this game dropped. I was in college and I had no job. I'd just go to my classes and come home and play 360 and this one was my shit. I would try to fall asleep to the galaxy select music. I think that's 'Vigil'? It's been awhile since I've played it.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I miss the time in my life when this game dropped. I was in college and I had no job. I'd just go to my classes and come home and play 360 and this one was my shit. I would try to fall asleep to the galaxy select music. I think that's 'Vigil'? It's been awhile since I've played it.

I think you mean this. Best map music ever.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, one of my favourite soundtracks of all time. You knew you were in for a treat right from the start when this was playing while you were on the Normandy in the beginning:

The music is yet another reason why ME1 is the best game in the series.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
If ME3 had a similar ending to Avengers End Game and also had the same end credit song as ME1, would have been a slam dunk.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
ME truly was my dream game as a kid realised and the music sticks with me til this day

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
While it is one of my favourite games of the year, I do hope they lean further into Sci-Fi for the eventual sequels. It was clearly a game where the budget restricted what they could do.

The ending (at least the one I got) implies that science and technology has evolved significantly in Halcyon. It also references other colonies, which could mean we will visit multiple systems just like Mass Effect. Then there is of course the mystery of Earth.

I haven't finished the game yet. But its limited budget was felt throughout the game, although I'm not sure how much it impact on the artstyle of stuff like armors, weapons, buildings, ships... well, everything. I do hope it gets a sequel though.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Love the Sound Track for this game. When they made it BC on Xbox and then the "X" came out, this was the ONE game I wish had the "X" enhancement. Seeing what some of the 360 games look like with "X" enhancements, this game would of been incredible if they did it.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I remember my impression at the time was that they really nailed the cinematic look, or should I say experience because the music was such a big part of it. It seemed a real advance on what came before - I could easily have believed I was watching a film, it was that good. The writing and dialogue were fantastic and everything had this "matured" sheen to it - as if games were finally starting to match films for a viewing experience. That was my impression much more than it being a next generation game in terms of gameplay, though I suppose as a pc player I didn't tend to think in generations and had seen such large scale environments before in games, though not quite with the same sense of scale and realisation of a world (or several worlds).

The music absolutely contributed massively to this feeling - as it should - and it was pretty consistently great throughout the trilogy. I understand why the OP chose the first game to highlight, though - I think overall it did have a bigger "feel" than the sequels when they weren't rehashing themes. You can definitely feel that it was inspired by soundtracks from films similarly epic in scope like Dune and Blade Runner. I can't even give names to any of the tracks without looking them up but thinking about Mass Effect brings several immediately to mind. I've played through Andromeda at least twice, possibly three times, and none of the music stands out enough for me to remember it nowadays.

The music from the original trilogy set a definite mood and helped deliver on the promise of the concept. Future Mass Effect games will be hard-pressed to outdo any of it.

Nov 1, 2017
All of this. I would say Vigil in particular is one of my favourite title screen themes, right up there with the Main Menu track from Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Metroid Prime's infamously weird and glorious title screen music.

But ME's music in general is just a perfect fit for the franchise. Some of the most powerful moments in Mass Effect 3 were helped with some callbacks in the music. Wonderful stuff.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I remember my impression at the time was that they really nailed the cinematic look, or should I say experience because the music was such a big part of it. It seemed a real advance on what came before - I could easily have believed I was watching a film, it was that good. The writing and dialogue were fantastic and everything had this "matured" sheen to it - as if games were finally starting to match films for a viewing experience. That was my impression much more than it being a next generation game in terms of gameplay, though I suppose as a pc player I didn't tend to think in generations and had seen such large scale environments before in games, though not quite with the same sense of scale and realisation of a world (or several worlds).

The music absolutely contributed massively to this feeling - as it should - and it was pretty consistently great throughout the trilogy. I understand why the OP chose the first game to highlight, though - I think overall it did have a bigger "feel" than the sequels when they weren't rehashing themes. You can definitely feel that it was inspired by soundtracks from films similarly epic in scope like Dune and Blade Runner. I can't even give names to any of the tracks without looking them up but thinking about Mass Effect brings several immediately to mind. I've played through Andromeda at least twice, possibly three times, and none of the music stands out enough for me to remember it nowadays.

The music from the original trilogy set a definite mood and helped deliver on the promise of the concept. Future Mass Effect games will be hard-pressed to outdo any of it.

Everything about ME1 just seemed so perfect at the time. There was nothing like it at the time. This was peak Bioware. No, this wasn't Baldur's Gate but this was Bioware doing what they do best and was such a success. Everything seemed so well thought out. The music though, it really takes a great game and makes it excellent. It invokes such powerful feeling and really invokes the feeling I get when watching Bladerunner, 2001: A Space Odyssey or Alien. New worlds to explore that are begging for the player to step forward and immerse themselves in this new universe.