• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
I mean both Lucina and Chrom are just glorified alt costumes, just a little extra fan service and that's it. If they weren't in, we'd just have...no one.
in this particular situation it looks like a lot of people would have been happy with no one (not me but just count all the people upset at every new FE character).

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The better translation in the OP makes it seem like Nintendo only mandated him to use character who is "very fresh", and it was Sakurai's choice to look for one in Three Houses. He doesn't know everything that's in production at Nintendo, so I guess he shouldn't be blamed too harshly for deciding on a Fire Emblem or a Pokémon character in that sort of situation. Maybe he could've chosen a third party character instead, but I imagine just working with Nintendo would be far easier since you're already in communication with them, don't need to negotiate all the rights stuff, and getting your hands on an unfinished version of the game would be easier than if he worked with a third party.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So does Link but he's still a sword fighter in my eyes, how about we get someone that has unique attacks?
Link isn't a swordfighter, it's like saying Ganondorf is a swordfighter.

Roy and Marth are swordfighter for exemple, Byleth isn't in my opinion.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He is. Sorry, I should have said both tied to Nintendo's history AND a hugely successful series. Banjo is from an ultra dead IP and was never going to sell all that well except to few dedicated fans.

Lmao what.

He was absolutely at the top of the Smash ballot, and is the top of every fan poll. You think it was an accident to place Banjo's reveal at the end of their E3 conference? It doesn't take Sakurai to figure out that Banjo is popular.

C'mon you guys, no need for dumb conspiracies.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I found the next blue haired sword user to put in.

zacian-crowned.jpg

Seriously I actually want Zacian as the pokemon rep. Don't be Cinderace, I don't want 2 generations in a row to get a fire starter I didn't like over a Wolf pokemon

Has to be zamazenta if they are adding another Pokemon or another Lucario like pick

SizzleBiz

Dec 26, 2019
One simple word: Fanbase. It's the same for a competitive sport like hockey or every other hugely popular team base players. Everyone have his favorites or his wishfull thinking

I kinda get what you're saying, but there's no competitive nature on who gets into Smash, at least not that I know of. It's a decision that, unless there's a fan-vote, I can't really influence. I could try talking online about my favourite characters, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo or Sakurai or whoever happens to be picking characters will be any more likely to pick them. I get that in sports, I'd have no say on any outcome, but I have a similar view on that as I do this. Of course I'd like my team to win, but if they don't, it doesn't impact me much and I just move on.

I hope this kinda makes sense?

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Byleth is the sole reason I'm not trusting them with season 2. I'll just buy them as they release. I don't trust them to not shoehorn another useless fire emblem character into the game
Ahahahah wow you don't trust them because they put a character you dont care in a season pass?? Btw like other have said, it's almost 100% gonna have a new pokemon. For exemple Byleth was added because 1) it's a nintendo character, fire emblem is pretty popular, three houses have additional dlc coming along so it make sense to represent something that still keep on selling for Nintendo.

This is the reason why there will be a pokemon in this next season pass. New pokemon just released. Hugely popular and sold very well, still have dlc for a year to come out. Im sure it's a 100% locked for one of the 6 fighters

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I for one am thankful that Sakurai is a fan of Fire Emblem to begin with and helped bring the series outside of Japan by including Marth and Roy in Melee.

I'm also thankful that Nintendo gave Sakurai the chance to work with an SNK character. The history lesson was wonderful!

All in all, the Smash roster is amazing no matter how you look at it and no matter who is the one pulling the strings.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
They knew this a while back when they made the the joke with Chrom in the conversation in SSB4 on the Palutena stage, they also knew the response to Corrin was a little tepid.

That being said I really don't care either way, thought Edelgard would have been better but whatever

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahahahah wow you don't trust them because they put a character you dont care in a season pass?? Btw like other have said, it's almost 100% gonna have a new pokemon. For exemple Byleth was added because 1) it's a nintendo character, fire emblem is pretty popular, three houses have additional dlc coming along so it make sense to represent something that still keep on selling for Nintendo.

This is the reason why there will be a pokemon in this next season pass. New pokemon just released. Hugely popular and sold very well, still have dlc for a year to come out. Im sure it's a 100% locked for one of the 6 fighters

Not wanting to spend money on a character you know you won't like seems like a good reason not to blindly buy a season pass.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So all that talk that Joker was introduced because he likes him is a bust. It only makes the decision to include him despite Royal releasing on PS only even more baffling

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
in this particular situation it looks like a lot of people would have been happy with no one (not me but just count all the people upset at every new FE character).
Then maybe those people should just let it be once it's realized that there are specific circumstances which led to that choice and be glad that we have 6 more unique characters to look forward to

Not true. We could have had 2 alts from some of the less represented franchises.
Tell me more about the circumstances that gave them the chance to be included (especially chrom who was apparently heavily requested and had a model to work off)

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people on the internet have been led to believe for generations that the "creator" of the game gets to do whatever the fuck he wants (thus receiving unlimited credit and/or blame) and no, thats not the case. Its good marketing strategy but the reality is that these top level decisions are managed by a leadership group. Sakurai is no doubt part of the decision making process but theres also going to be corporate mandates as well

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not true. We could have had 2 alts from some of the less represented franchises.
I'm trying to imagine what sort of other echoes might fill those spots.

Snake -> Big Boss with more powerful/combo-friendly CQC moves and less powerful armaments
Ness -> Ninten with a different lineup of psi moves
Wii Fit Trainer -> Ring Fit Trainer with an athletic bent and a wind blast in place of Sun Salutation
Little Mac -> Sandman. Heavier, stronger, slower (but still relatively quick). Or Doc Louis, a bit slower than Mac, counter is replaced by the ability to eat chocolate for a quick speed/power boost
Bayonetta -> Jeanne, whose moves are stronger and more nimble but who is also noticibly easier to knock out of bounds with a successful hit at high percent. No Witch Time

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So all that talk that Joker was introduced because he likes him is a bust. It only makes the decision to include him despite Royal releasing on PS only even more baffling
You know even tho Nintendo decide the list, im sure Sakurai have weight in the balance

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
A lot of people on the internet have been led to believe for generations that the "creator" of the game gets to do whatever the fuck he wants (thus receiving unlimited credit and/or blame) and no, thats not the case. Its good marketing strategy but the reality is that these top level decisions are managed by a leadership group. Sakurai is no doubt part of the decision making process but theres also going to be corporate mandates as well
you mean to tell me that games are a team effort if they aren't done by literally one person

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
After some consideration, I think Byleth is the best pick on a gameplay perspective. He using all 4 weapons is much better than the lords using just one.
You know even tho Nintendo decide the list, im sure Sakurai have weight in the balance
Then I doubt he was completely against Byleth. Nintendo wouldnt force him to include the character

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about, it's kind of emblematic (whoa-ho-ho) of my frustrations with Smash newcomers that the the only character in the Fighter Pass from what is currently a Nintendo series is the one that explodes into fan outcry.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about, it's kind of emblematic (whoa-ho-ho) of my frustrations with Smash newcomers that the the only character in the Fighter Pass from what is currently a Nintendo series is the one that explodes into fan outcry.

Wait until you see the first party pick(s) for season 2.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After some consideration, I think Byleth is the best pick on a gameplay perspective. He using all 4 weapons is much better than the lords using just one.

Then I doubt he was completely against Byleth. Nintendo wouldnt force him to include the character
You could see in the Nintendo Direct that he was a fan of Fire Emblem and im sure he played a lot of the games. Byleth or heck FE character wasn't his first pick, but he made the character the most interesting and less swordfigtery he could have made

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So Nintendo forced him to put Byleth in to promote Three Houses.

That figures..

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The better translation in the OP makes it seem like Nintendo only mandated him to use character who is "very fresh", and it was Sakurai's choice to look for one in Three Houses. He doesn't know everything that's in production at Nintendo, so I guess he shouldn't be blamed too harshly for deciding on a Fire Emblem or a Pokémon character in that sort of situation. Maybe he could've chosen a third party character instead, but I imagine just working with Nintendo would be far easier since you're already in communication with them, don't need to negotiate all the rights stuff, and getting your hands on an unfinished version of the game would be easier than if he worked with a third party.
so if he got to playtest Astral Chain, we could have had the Howards

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's at the point where it's starting to ruin the game for me honestly. Earlier today I was playing some matches online and only got sword/Fire Emblem characters, it just made me quit the game.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I mean both Lucina and Chrom are just glorified alt costumes, just a little extra fan service and that's it. If they weren't in, we'd just have...no one.

One key thing the FE backlash has highlighted to me is just how disparate Nintendo/Sakurai's take on Echo Fighters (that they're derivatives slotted in as bonus extras) is compared to that of the online community's (that they're full characters in their own rights). One could argue that they're overvalued by the community but one could also say that Nintendo/Sakurai didn't account for just how highly valued they'd be, especially in the contexts of Chrom, Ken, and the Belmonts.

bef4ef152bb3fee194b2c2d2d8cdaefd.jpg

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to hear him say it at least. So tired of Fire Emblem rep...

Nov 15, 2018
Well with Sakurai announcing him being forced to add Byleth and Nintendo taking the blame for it, some kind of backlash for Sakurai to still mention it a month later, I'd doubt we are getting another Fire Emblem character.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me more about how Sakurai planned out and squeezed 5 FE characters, 1 clone and 2 echoes into a single iteration of smash instead of it being paced out over a period of 20 years
emot-allears.gif
"Paced out over a period of 20 years" is pretty disingenuous when five of the eight Fire Emblem characters in Smash were released in the past six years.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is the most valuable information and I'd have to imagine someone else did it already and better, but I got curious compared the YouTube videos for the various DLC fighters:

Banjo - 2,696,434 views
Joker - 1,771,006 views
Hero - 694,557 views
Terry - 341,390 views
Piranha Plant - 177,802 views
Byleth - 156,099 views

Joker - 72K likes
Banjo - 50K likes
Hero - 17K likes
Terry - 16K likes
Byleth - 9K likes
Piranha Plant - 3K likes

Byleth - 5.2K dislikes
Joker - 1.5K dislikes
Banjo - 1.2K dislikes
Hero - 639 dislikes
Piranha Plant - 440 dislikes
Terry - 169 dislikes

Terry - 94.7 likes over dislikes
Joker - 48 likes over dislikes
Banjo - 41.7 likes over dislikes
Hero - 26.6 likes over dislikes
Piranha Plant - 6.8 likes over dislikes
Byleth - 1.7 likes over dislikes

I'm wondering if the results would affect the selection process. I see that Banjo's up there, so I'm still hoping!

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I truly wish Nintendo have the same attention and dedication they did for Fire Emblem for other dormant franchises. I mean, Nintendo is doing the best they can to foster and advertise Fire Emblem, and it's not even that huge seller.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
And...it was Nintendo that asked for them to be clones and echoes?
Does it matter? People hand-wringing over clones/echoes never realized how they don't take up the same amount of effort. They're just literally glorified skins.

"Paced out over a period of 20 years" is pretty disingenuous when five of the eight Fire Emblem characters in Smash were released in the past six years.
2 of which are echoes, and 3 of which have been paced out in different periods.

Robin was decided in 2012/2013 when they were finalizing the roster back then.
Corrin was added in 2015 during dlc.
Byleth came in 2020.
Which comes back to my point. Sakurai didn't even force in 8 characters into a single game - they all came into different points of smash. We didn't even get 2 unique FE characters in a single phrase

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
2 of which are echoes, and 3 of which have been paced out in different periods.

Robin was decided in 2012/2013 when they were finalizing the roster back then.
Corrin was added in 2015.
Byleth came in 2020.
Which comes back to my point. Sakurai didn't even force in 8 characters into a single game - they all came into different points of smash.
And in comparison to every other series in Smash save Mario it's a noticeably larger swathe of characters in that same period of time.

I'm just saying that when even Sakurai is saying there are "too many" I think fans of other series that have gotten less are right to give it a little side eye.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is the most valuable information and I'd have to imagine someone else did it already and better, but I got curious compared the YouTube videos for the various DLC fighters:

Banjo - 2,696,434 views
Joker - 1,771,006 views
Hero - 694,557 views
Terry - 341,390 views
Piranha Plant - 177,802 views
Byleth - 156,099 views

Joker - 72K likes
Banjo - 50K likes
Hero - 17K likes
Terry - 16K likes
Byleth - 9K likes
Piranha Plant - 3K likes

Byleth - 5.2K dislikes
Joker - 1.5K dislikes
Banjo - 1.2K dislikes
Hero - 639 dislikes
Piranha Plant - 440 dislikes
Terry - 169 dislikes

Terry - 94.7 likes over dislikes
Joker - 48 likes over dislikes
Banjo - 41.7 likes over dislikes
Hero - 26.6 likes over dislikes
Piranha Plant - 6.8 likes over dislikes
Byleth - 1.7 likes over dislikes

I'm wondering if the results would affect the selection process. I see that Banjo's up there, so I'm still hoping!
Is that just the English videos?