• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
My heart skipped a beat reading that thread title. Man pushes himself way to hard :(

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Ketosis is primarily useful for epilepsy and other seizures in children, because it forces the liver to produce ketone bodies to fuel the brain instead of glucose, and apparently the ketone bodies are better for the brains of people with seizures.

But that's a medical treatment, not a hokey diet
People have reversed serious cases of diabetes with it. Maybe that deserves a bit more respect than calling it a "hokey diet" and making false claims like you can only eat meat?

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
So in addition to being overworked and on a kooky diet, he went to the gym, failed to drink anything and then decided to go have a sweat-inducing hot bath?

Seems like a bunch of poor decisions there.
I'm sure he's the first person ever to get dehydrated without realizing it while working out.
This isn't really all that uncommon.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
He's in Japan, he should be drinking plenty of Picari Sweat to get those electrolytes. Also because it's super tasty.
not to mention that, at one point at least, they had an advert with an absolute slapper of a track

Anyway yeah, please make sure this is a one-off, Sakurai. Heart jumped when I glanced at the title before reading it properly.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai please take care of yourself. I know this is probably a new concept for you, but it's very important

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
You were quoting someone who said as much without refuting it, so I just assumed you agreed with that too. *shrugemoji*
Ah, but that kills two birds with one stone: an all-meat keto diet is a hokey diet. Pretty much any BS "kEtOgEniC" diet that isn't guided by actual nutritional science is a hokey diet. The thought of the common hokey derivatives of keto are what drove my last point

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I just wonder if he'll do what he did last time and go to work on an IV drip. I seriously hope he doesn't but I can totally see him doing that again

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's so weird that it's his diet that nearly killed him and not just how much he works.

I really hope he's working less and is far less stressed out making a couple extra fighters with variable release dates than a whole new game.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai seems to act like this is no big deal, but it is. I can only hope he learned from the experience and is taking better care of himself.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol@the diet bashing and fear mongering

plenty of people eat the way he does doing extreme workouts and have never been in better shape inside and out. Pretty sure dude is severely overworked and most likely lacking sleep and water

But yeah eat bread np

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know shit about this "diet", but working out and not drinking is usually not a smart move.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I'm beginning to think this whole "your body should be in ketosis all the time, even at the gym" isn't actually a good idea.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Wake up call with no serious consequences are the best way to change something.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Take care of youself, Sakurai. We know you want to bulk up and be as buff as Terry but you gotta do it in a healthy way

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Lol@the diet bashing and fear mongering

plenty of people eat the way he does doing extreme workouts and have never been in better shape inside and out. Pretty sure dude is severely overworked and most likely lacking sleep and water

But yeah eat bread np

Yeah, this. Sakurai has a history of overworking himself and having his body suffer from it, and there are proper ways to eat low-carb without being deficient. I'm not sure why his diet is apparently the issue, given his history.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Go to Okinawa or some shit, you need to rest and relax wtf. You not even fat to be doing a fitness diet.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I'm not taking away from the fact that this is not a good thing, but you definitely have to be a certain kind of obsessive to do the kind of work he does, and clearly that drips into other parts of his life.

Balance is absolutely everything, and I feel like he's losing grasp of that as he gets older, when it becomes even more important. I'm sure he doesn't trust anyone else to take the reigns on the DLC either, so hopefully he sorts this out going into 2021.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He really takes shit decisions, goddamit. Last time he was in the hospital on a drip and took it with him at home to continue working. Like, fucking hell, at some point it's not because he has to, but he chooses to do so even if it's incredibly dangerous. i'm really starting to think he needs some help to sort that out.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Stop with this meat based bullshit, its incredibly unhealthy and not worth the few KG you lose.

Also: hydrate people.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the guy looks rail thin everytime i see him in videos. why is he on a diet?

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
They've always been absolutely asinine. Ketosis is a useful strategy for helping morbidly obese people lose weight, but it's never been meant to be a permanent solution....carbs are necessary for optimal energy and athletic function. Eating nothing but meat is going to leave the body insanely deficient in MANY vitamins and minerals.

Three comments:
Inuits live mainly on meat
Bioconcentration
There's not a single essential carb/fiber the body needs

You have to eat the whole animal including the fatty stuff and organs. Then you don't have any deficiencies since the animal collected the nutrients from their diets and stored them in e.g. the liver.

The body can turn protein into carbs as needed.
Too much protein is not good either.

If you base your diet only on steaks you will suffer. I would always add a lot of greens.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Before reading the OP, i imagined Sakurai dunking on folks playing hoops at the gym, but then passing out from the sickest trick shot.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Why the fuck is Sakurai on a diet? He is skinny as hell. Especially a meme one where bacon is "better" than fruit.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Man, I know the article didn't say this incident had anything to do with him being overworked, but this man needs and more than deserves a break. He works too hard, and we all reap the (immense) benefits... but damn, I just want the guy to live and take it easy. I'd wait on the remaining DLC as long as it takes!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's clear Sakurai is physically weak and overworking himself at the same time... And we and the industry encourage him to keep doing it. It's not a good feedback loop.

The next thing you'll read is Sakurai was driven to a hospital and died of cardiac arrest.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't have happened if he didn't make Kid Icarus Uprising 2 👀👀👀👀

Jokes aside, Health comes first, get well soon, and all that!