• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Agreed. The level and audio design in particular are awful.

What? Level design in my opinion is fantastic, even generic gigs have multiple ways you can make your way through them.. when I played Deus Ex games, System Shock, Vampire Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol or the newest Prey, I always thought that these kinda games can only exist with hub based designed maps and missions.. this is first time that I'm playing a open-world "Deus Ex" game that has the same quality of level and mission design than those way, way smaller games have .. level design is in fact the area where I think the game shines the most ..
Audio design isn't bad, but the mixing is all over the place

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing it with a 3090 and I'm somehow on the final mission already. I heard and expected it to be a shorter experience than something like Witcher 3, but this honestly feels like 30% of a full game. As impressive as the graphics are, there's not a lot going on under the hood.

I played all of the side missions etc. I guess I braced myself for the shortness of the campaign. But in terms of the story, I feel satisfied.

Just me though :)

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
What? Level design in my opinion is fantastic, even generic gigs have multiple ways you can make your way through them.. when I played Deus Ex games, System Shock, Vampire Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol or the newest Prey, I always thought that these kinda games can only exist with hub based designed maps and missions.. this is first time that I'm playing a open-world "Deus Ex" game that has the same quality of level and mission design than those way, way smaller games have .. level design is in fact the area where I think the game shines the most ..
Yeah for sure, I've also been pleasantly surprised by the level design. That's one marketing speech they delivered on in my opinion, that you have multiple ways to clear missions. In many gigs you can basically get straight to the objective avoiding most if not all enemies, if you just find the way and have the attributes for it when required. And I'm also quite happy it's not as reliant on vents like Deus Ex is (I adore the series), spending so much time in vents insn't really visually stimulating. And there definitely isn't anything as dreadful as Nosferatu Warrens in VtMB.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I sent a request for another title change.
I don't feel the highlights accurately reflect the column. For just one example, here is SourceGaming's translation of the refund comment: "He was surprised by the serious response...by Sony when they removed it from the store and issued refunds to people who bought the game since that kind of situation was unprecedented until then." He does not appear to offer any further commentary. Versus what is written under highlights: "Dealing with refunds is something that makes even me feel deeply moved. This kind of sincerity was never heard of before."

I would say the additional context changes the meaning of almost every bullet point. Even the bullet point immediately after the above in which he mentions his lack of issues of the Pro is questionable on its own as it can come across as hand-waiving console performance issues, but in SourceGaming's translation that line is followed by Sakurai saying that it does not seem worth trying the game on base PS4.

And these "highlights" are producing comments like this:
I wonder if he would've found it equally sincere had he played it on the OG PS4.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I don't feel the highlights accurately reflect the column. For just one example, here is SourceGaming's translation of the refund comment: "He was surprised by the serious response...by Sony when they removed it from the store and issued refunds to people who bought the game since that kind of situation was unprecedented until then." He does not appear to offer any further commentary. Versus what is written under highlights: "Dealing with refunds is something that makes even me feel deeply moved. This kind of sincerity was never heard of before."

I would say the additional context changes the meaning of almost every bullet point. Even the bullet point immediately after the above in which he mentions his lack of issues of the Pro is questionable on its own as it can come across as hand-waiving console performance issues, but in SourceGaming's translation that line is followed by Sakurai saying that it does not seem worth trying the game on base PS4.

My mistake. I commented after only reading Siliconera. I thought they were just refering to the translation made by Kody/Source Gaming, so I thought it'd contain the exact same info. Now I know that they had their own - worse - translation up, before Source Gaming shared a more thorough one.
The word 'sincerity' really threw me off.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
My mistake. I commented after only reading Siliconera. I thought they were just refering to the translation made by Kody/Source Gaming, so I thought it'd contain the exact same info. Now I know that they had their own - worse - translation up, before Source Gaming shared a more thorough one.
The word 'sincerity' really threw me off.
I think that's an understandable mistake and served as a good example of why the first post should be changed. I thought that description of the refund debacle was pretty... strange... as well.

Deleted member 75954

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 24, 2020
I think Japanese games press is probably so homogenous that those conversations about representation are just not happening, and it's a detriment to the Japanese discourse.

I am fairly certain that some of the western criticism of stuff like like Persona games and how they represent gay/trans characters must be visible to some degree just because Atlus is such a big presence in Japan and Atlus USA is passing that feedback to their Japanese counterparts, but without representation I doubt that the concerns are given much attention.

So yeah, in agreement that Sakurai shouldn't be excused, but I think this point of view is partly the fault of games press not elevating conversations about trans rights and the knock-on effect of established creators not feeling pressured to think about LGBT or race issues.

And beyond just games press not having adequate diversity in Japan, I also doubt things like Vampire: The Masquerade/White Wolf's nazism gets covered at all, and being able to see patterns of behavior throughout the industry and consistent criticism of that behavior is essential to facilitating better conversations and forcing issues to be more deeply considered.

Japan just dismisses Western criticism of the social aspects of Japanese media as polikore (political correctness). So don't expect them to change any time soon.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sorry I was gone, I ended up dozing off. On top of the old stuff being removed (I'm glad the actual translation doesn't paint a rosy picture compared to the old one), how's this for a new title?

Sakurai talks Cyberpunk 2077: Mostly played on PC & PS4 Pro, faced a few bugs, reflects on hopes for game vs. development realities

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Once again a thread goes up before a proper translation is available. Sometimes it's best to wait for the facts to emerge, especially when it's oh so common for these Sakurai columns to have a shoddy first pass when there's only leaked excerpts to go on. Posting a thread on Era isn't a race.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah for sure, I've also been pleasantly surprised by the level design. That's one marketing speech they delivered on in my opinion, that you have multiple ways to clear missions. In many gigs you can basically get straight to the objective avoiding most if not all enemies, if you just find the way and have the attributes for it when required. And I'm also quite happy it's not as reliant on vents like Deus Ex is (I adore the series), spending so much time in vents insn't really visually stimulating. And there definitely isn't anything as dreadful as Nosferatu Warrens in VtMB.

Oh man, this absolutely.. I think Prey didn't had vents or atleast in way less cases than the Deus Ex games or Bloodlines.. but yeah, you can make a game build around the choice to go with a stealth approach, combat, hacking and talking without the need of vents :) and even those moments where you need to use guns or going straight against an enemy/boss, you still can use hacking in an offensive way and in a fast way in combat and you still can manage - in Bloodlines I didn't really put my points into combat abilities or skills and I had bad times in many missions and at the end, oh boy, that was maybe great for someone who build his gun or melee type character, but for me it was almost a nightmare to go through.. the same in Deus Ex HR, the first boss was awful for me for someone who played that game to that point stealthily .. thank god the weapons in CP2077 are powerful enough even at the start (and thank god the game has the most impressive and fun gunplay in my opinion in this type of games) and fun to use - even though I still play the vast majority of the game stealthily and using hacking

Funnily enough, speaking of vents in the Deus Ex games, just last week I read an article about the vents in Deus Ex Mankind Divided :D
Deus Ex Gets Air Vents All Wrong, According To An Architect

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

+1. Especially to those comparisons you made. Haven't played AP though, but now I might have to!

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
+1. Especially to those comparisons you made. Haven't played AP though, but now I might have to!

AP is a Obsidian game, so that means = great roleplaying, great dialogs, great choices and consenquences system, great characters.. un-polished product, bad animations, bad AI, average gunplay at best, bugs, weird sound mixing, etc.. for me personally it was one of the best games from 2010 and it really remembered me of Deus Ex games and Bloodlines.. my main problem with the game was this = I don't think any mission is really, memorable.. for example Bloodlines has the Ocean House mission, has Jeanette/Therese quest, it has a mission about snuff movies made in Hollywood, it has a mission on a cementary where you need to defend its gates against hordes of zombies, a quest about a serial killer in the city, etc.. just so many memorable quests from the game.. but AP ? I remember characters and the dialogs and their consenquences, but the main story and the missions? Not so much.. just nothing that would really stuck in my head and memory.. that's why in my opinion it isn't great as the games I mentioned earlier.. but if you want to play a espionage RPG with great characters and dialogs, but made with a AA budget and some problems, absolutely worthwhile

Great video about the game :

Context on refunds in Japan

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Just for context, refunds in Japan are far less common than they are in other countries like the US. For example, most of the big electronic stores offer refunds or exchanges, but only for extenuating circumstances like incompatibility (wrong size or format) or defects. Stores do not have return/exchange counters like you'd see at a Target or Walmart.

The only big retailer I'm aware of that lets you flat out change your mind is Amazon Japan, and this is clearly something inherited from the US headquarters. (EDIT: IKEA as well.)

Even retailers can't return stock to distributors or publishers if they ordered too many, or negotiate a discount, hence the prevalence of the "bomba bin."

It makes sense then that Sakurai would be very surprised at CDPR offering refunds. It's a very unfamiliar concept in Japan and people on this forum who aren't familiar with Japanese retail practices shouldn't take that for granted.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
my favourite 1st party developer says the game is good then i will try it when i have the console/$
Been a sakurai fan since kirby on the gameboy

Oct 28, 2017
Even retailers can't return stock to distributors or publishers if they ordered too many, or negotiate a discount, hence the prevalence of the "bomba bin."

It's the business model of Don Quixote as far as am I aware. It is the only place in the world where you can find a bunch of discontinued sex toys, a bunch of discounted low grade whiskey, a mop, a shelf full of discounted Halloween costumes from 5 years ago, and two $15,000 USD Rolex Submariners within 5 metres of each other.

After someone told me how they buy stock that retailers couldn't shift at a discount, the completely crazy product range and organisation made complete sense.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I dont really appreciate people dunking on Sakurai for this. He probably isn't aware of the BS CDPR are up to.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just for context, refunds in Japan are far less common than they are in other countries like the US. For example, most of the big electronic stores offer refunds or exchanges, but only for extenuating circumstances like incompatibility (wrong size or format) or defects. Stores do not have return/exchange counters like you'd see at a Target or Walmart.

The only big retailer I'm aware of that lets you flat out change your mind is Amazon Japan, and this is clearly something inherited from the US headquarters. (EDIT: IKEA as well.)

It makes sense then that Sakurai would be very surprised at CDPR offering refunds. It's a very unfamiliar concept in Japan and people on this forum who aren't familiar with Japanese retail practices shouldn't take that for granted.
I dunno.

Cyberpunk refunds mostly revolved around digital. Most Japanese gaming companies are either on PSN/XBox/PC which already offer robust refund options for customers. It has little to do with Japanese culture, it's more about the company (Nintendo) or this particular individual's.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno.

Cyberpunk refunds mostly revolved around digital. Most Japanese gaming companies are either on PSN/XBox/PC which already offer robust refund options for customers. It has little to do with Japanese culture, it's more about the company (Nintendo) or this particular individual's.
Many major retailers also allowed returns of opened copies of the game with the receipt for a whole month. Likely in cooperation with CDPR.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I dunno.

Digital gaming is still a minority market in Japan and Sakurai is famed for having an extremely large physical game collection. This comes down to Sakurai's personal perception, which people must understand is not necessarily going to always align with the average Westerner.

Refund policies exist for the stores you mentioned, but there is far less impetus for the Japanese consumer to use them than in other countries. And as I said, digital is a minority here.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I'm aware of that. But let's be real, the percentage will be much lower than digital due to the hassle. I haven't watched the full video of the translation, but did he specifically mention digital/physical?
According to the video translation, the full extent of his refund comments is as follows: "He was surprised by the serious response...by Sony when they removed it from the store and issued refunds to people who bought the game since that kind of situation was unprecedented until then."

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017

This should be in the OP; people are making claims over literally "fake news" translation, like you still see the comment about him "being deeply moved" when it's not true.