• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF is it with teachers engaging in illegal activities with their students?!?!

Here in Maryland, a high school substitute teacher has been arrested after one of her students reported her for providing him with alcohol and engaging in sexual activity on school grounds, the school system has permanently banned this teacher from teaching within the school system:

Anne Arundel County police said they arrested a public schools substitute teacher Monday after she engaged in sexual activity with a North County High School student.

Police said they responded June 4 to North County High after a student, who also attends the Center of Applied Technologies North, reported a substitute teacher engaged in sexual activities with him and provided him alcohol.

Alexis Mercedes Boberg, 25, of the 8200 block of Quarterfield Road in Severn, has been charged with two counts of fourth-degree sex offense for having a sexual contact with a person while in a position of authority, police said.

Boberg was also charged with consuming alcohol on public property, police said. She turned herself into authorities at the Western District Station Monday around 11:30 a.m.

Her case does not yet appear in electronic court records. It's unclear if Boberg has an attorney, or what her bail status is.

Child Abuse Unit detectives began investigating June 4, police said.

Upon being notified of the allegations June 4, Anne Arundel County Public Schools immediately barred her from any further work with county schools, said Bob Mosier, schools spokesman.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Gross.

In before some dickfungus defends this with "but he's probably bragging about it, hyuk hyuk". To that person, here's a pre-emptive "eat paint".

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine someone that goes through the schooling and process to be a teacher and decide to fuck it all up right out of the gate.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This is why you gotta vet and pay teachers more. Its seen as such an undesirable/low status position so schools will hire almost anyone and thus pedophiles/people who get off on the power dynamic slip through.

Just like mass shootings I can't even pretend to be surprised anymore tbh.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
At 25 she's only a couple of years out of university (assuming she didn't take time off or anything) - why would you sink your career so early on?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine someone that goes through the schooling and process to be a teacher and decide to fuck it all up right out of the gate.
Depending on the state substitutes are often not on a track to become full-fledged teachers and often lack that training/education.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here in Maryland, a high school substitute teacher has been arrested after one of her students reported her for providing him with alcohol and engaging in sexual activity on school grounds, the school system has permanently banned this teacher from teaching within the school system:

Isn't the bar for sub teachers really low?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
You need 48 credits of college courses to apply to be a substitute for the Anne Arundel district.

But...it looks like that school district is not currently accepting applications at the moment.

2ywGNxT.png

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Sexual Misconduct Involving a Minor; previous infractions
Lucky kid

/ducks

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Making Light of Sexual Misconduct Involving a Minor
Am I reading that right that substitute teacher do not even need to graduate but can work as a substitute like a student job?

P4psXxkCG51PZbt1B2dtp0N5P5BCZcVklMk5Gsz5.png

looks like south park is getting a lot more meme-able lately... especially today.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
Think about how bad a woman getting punished for this (and the kid reporting it) must fry MRA and equivalents' brains.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting to me that this reporting is taking place well before this case has entered the courts in any meaningful way.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

Glad she caught a ban. My high school would simply refuse to renew a teacher's contract if they engaged in a sexual relationship with a student and they would be allowed to continue on teaching anywhere else they wanted to go. I don't know if there is some kind of legal reason due to the way a teacher is employed in my state.

It happened with my band director and a history teacher while I was enrolled over the four years. The band director was caught in a sexual relationship with one of the girls in the band but has continued to teach at a variety of schools since then. The history teacher MARRIED the student he was in a relationship with within a couple of years of her graduating. She used to sit under the opening of his desk during his off-blocks and "grade papers". ;(

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Am I reading that right that substitute teacher do not even need to graduate but can work as a substitute like a student job?
48 credits would be about 40% of a degree, so you're right. The problem is pay. If you have a Bachelor's degree then it's likely you'll find something more stable and highly paid than being an off/on substitute teacher. A good substitute can be incredibly important, but they are few and far between and when they do exist they're vastly underpaid.

Glad she caught a ban. My high school would simply refuse to renew a teacher's contract if they engaged in a sexual relationship with a student and they would be allowed to continue on teaching anywhere else they wanted to go.

This happened with my band director and a history teacher while I was enrolled over the four years. The band director has continued to teach at a variety of schools since then and the history teacher MARRIED the student he was in a relationship with within a couple of years of her graduating.
Was that a long time ago? It seems awfully negligent to allow someone like that to go to other districts without informing them.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
48 credits would be about 40% of a degree, so you're right. The problem is pay. If you have a Bachelor's degree then it's likely you'll find something more stable and highly paid than being an off/on substitute teacher. A good substitute can be incredibly important, but they are few and far between and when they do exist they're vastly underpaid.

Was that a long time ago? It seems awfully negligent to allow someone like that to go to other districts without informing them.

I graduated in 2009 so not really. It reminded me of those nurses they find out accidentally/intentionally kill a multitude of patients but the healthcare provider doesn't pursue the issue because of the reputation of the hospital so the nurse just keeps moving around to different locations continuing their activity.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
As in past threads, I've wondered in there was anything to the trend that the cases with female teachers seem to include the teacher being both new and young but also recently married. Cases with male teachers seem to skew much older.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As in past threads, I've wondered in there was anything to the trend that the cases with female teachers seem to include the teacher being both new and young but also recently married. Cases with male teachers seem to skew much older.
I wonder if it's just a matter of what gets reported/has threads created?

Oct 25, 2017
Basically none. Subs are there as a warm body, are not allowed to teach content, handle any disciplinary action, etc. Basically they tell the students this is the assignment and or task, please don't burn the room down.
That's what I was thinking. Given the info from the article sounds like she only subbed once or a few times and then started a relationship off school grounds. The kid obviously knew what was going on, I wonder what prompted him to report.
I wonder if it's just a matter of what gets reported/has threads created?
theres lots of possible reasons, but I imagine part of it is simple demographics. Way more women in the field. Plus there's the gendered stereotypes.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Basically none. Subs are there as a warm body, are not allowed to teach content, handle any disciplinary action, etc. Basically they tell the students this is the assignment and or task, please don't burn the room down.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience subbing. In some districts, if you were a sub with a lot of experience and generally well-liked, you might get a longer term assignment (a teacher goes out on maternity leave, for example), and actually get to teach the curriculum. But yeah, generally, it's "put on a movie and make sure the kids don't kill each other."

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was pretty much my experience subbing. In some districts, if you were a sub with a lot of experience and generally well-liked, you might get a longer term assignment (a teacher goes out on maternity leave, for example), and actually get to teach the curriculum. But yeah, generally, it's "put on a movie and make sure the kids don't kill each other."
Nod, and those individuals in our district that handle long term assignments must be certified to teach.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people still get themselves banned when they find out the offender is a woman

Stop thinking with your dick and acknowledge that a kid still got molested fam

Come on lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Whats crazy outside of just being a fucken creep and rapist, sleeping with a student gives the student all the power, like once it's done students can demand all As and what can the teacher do with the threat of being reported? Of course these people aren't of sound mind but still. So stupid.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
knew it would be a woman when i read the title,

insane that this keeps happening, and this time with alcohol no less

Feb 2, 2019
Highschool should have age limits on who can teach it. It wont stop it all but it will stop some.
Hmmm this will just result in a rapid decline of the next generation of teachers. Teaching is a career, a legitimate profession. What is a teacher supposed to do in the years between graduating from college and starting their first teaching position if we set an age restriction at 25 or even 30? Those years of professional growth opportunties will be missed.

The problem here has nothing to do with age...it has to do with undervaluing the profession and lax qualification requirements due to a combination of low pay and the fact that many districts are experiencing a sub shortage. If anything the solution is to increase education requirements and invest in the next generation of teachers who actually see it as a career and legitimate profession.