• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland Governor Hogan is terminating Maryland's stay-home order and is allowing limited retail to reopen starting Friday, May 15 at 5 PM, the stay-home order is being replaced with a "Safer at Home advisory" where Hogan is urging people to stay home and continue working from home if possible:

www.baltimoresun.com

Maryland Gov. Hogan lifts stay-at-home order, allows limited retail to resume

Maryland’s stay-at-home order will be lifted at 5 p.m. Friday, Gov. Larry Hogan announced Wednesday, citing a slight two-week decline in hospitalizations statewide due to the coronavirus pand…

MAY 13, 2020

Gov. Larry Hogan announced Wednesday he is lifting Maryland's stay-at-home order effective at 5 p.m. Friday as the state has seen a slight two-week decline in hospitalizations due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Hogan said he is replacing the order with a "Safer at Home" advisory that will not be enforced by the rule of law. It allows manufacturing, retail, haircuts and worship services to resume with limitations.

"Marylanders will no longer be required to stay at home, but are strongly advised to stay at home, particularly older and more vulnerable Marylanders," Hogan said. "If you can work from home, you should continue to do so. You should continue wearing masks in indoor public areas, retail stores, and on public transportation."

Restrictions on gatherings of larger than 10 people and closure of businesses deemed nonessential remain in place.

Hogan's announcement means that all manufacturing may resume and retail stores may reopen at up to 50% of capacity with curbside service encouraged. Such stores include clothing and shoe sellers, pet groomers, car washes, art galleries and book stores.

Churches and houses of worship may begin to hold religious services at up to 50% of capacity, with outdoor services encouraged.

The order also means that barber shops and hair salons may open with up to 50% capacity, and by appointment only.

While Maryland is moving toward reopening, "it does not mean that we are safe or that this crisis is over," Hogan said. "Low risk does not mean no risk."

Hogan said people at risk of complications should continue to stay inside, everyone should still wear masks in indoor public areas and employees should work from home as much as possible. Physical distancing continues to be a must, and large gatherings are still prohibited, Hogan said.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, the whole U.S. is going to have to learn things the hard way. I´ve already accepted it.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I had to go back to the office last week. I feel like I can already see this point in the future documentary where the narrator explains how this was a terrible idea. I just don't think people care anymore. Americans are selfish. People are at the point where they are OK with sacrificing other peoples' lives, as long as it isn't them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm not understanding what people are expecting? All the leading public health officials and scientists say you could start move towards reopening things if you contact trace and test. Washington is doing that.

I'm guessing Maryland has a plan as well (what i've Seen anyways)

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Honest question, how likely it is for people to follow that safety advisory?

Because on my end here short of an enforced mandatory lockdown, if there's any excuse whatsoever, people will go out. The specific number/percentages don't even matter anymore, enough people will go out to make all those efforts slowing down the spread earlier moot.

I wonder if American cities are the exception...

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, how likely it is for people to follow that safety advisory?

Because on my end here short of an enforced mandatory lockdown, if there's any excuse whatsoever, people will go out. The specific number/percentages don't even matter anymore, enough people will go out to make all those efforts slowing down the spread earlier moot.

I wonder if American cities are the exception...
As someone that lives in Houston, lol. People are out and basically acting like things are for the most part normal. You see roughly 40-50% wearing masks and social distancing, the rest are going about things like it was 2018. The second wave of this is going to be crazy.

I just ran into my parents at HEB (grocery store), I was like guys you are supposed to be wearing a mask. My dad quickly reaches into his pocket and puts it on, said its hard to breathe with it on. No shit, that is the point, it limits the flow of COVID. My mom asked if she can still come over this Saturday (we have a 4 month old), I told her we will see.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get that people want haircuts, but they honestly aren't a necessity by any means and given that social distancing while getting a haircut is completely impossible I don't really feel like it makes sense for those to be part of the early reopening process. Just deal with having longer hair for a bit, it's not the end of the world

I get that people want haircuts, but they honestly aren't a necessity by any means and given that social distancing while getting a haircut is completely impossible I don't really feel like it makes sense for those to be part of the early reopening process. Just deal with having longer hair for a bit, it's not the end of the world

There's a reason God invented Wahl clippers. Makes it easy for times like these.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
as someone moving to Maryland in a month, I very selfishly just need the IKEA curb pickup open

please

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Great, my dumbass in-laws will now be throwing "sEe, EveN hoGAn lIftEd thE rEstrICtiOns!!" into the mix when they attempt to guilt-trip my wife and me into visiting from where we're at in DC.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
is there anywhere that isn't at least partially opening at this point?

There's a beach my wife and I always go to in Delaware and we're wondering if we should book a room for late August. I feel like we don't typically interact with people that much... mainly just restaurants which I guess we would just do take out this year.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It should be noted that Hogan isn't allowing a full reopening, and that local jurisdictions can choose to keep the orders in place. Prince George's and Montgomery Counties are still under a stay-at-home order.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding what people are expecting? All the leading public health officials and scientists say you could start move towards reopening things if you contact trace and test. Washington is doing that.

I'm guessing Maryland has a plan as well (what i've Seen anyways)
I mean, the article itself quotes a former Baltimore health commissioner as saying, "My concern is whether we have the public health infrastructure — the testing, contact tracing and isolation capacity — to take these steps."

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Listen, the whole U.S. is going to have to learn things the hard way. I´ve already accepted it.

While my extended family sits there and cries at funeral from Covid-19 I'll be sitting at home happy Mrs. McKnight and I are doing everything we can to stay home as much as possible with our son. Heck yesterday was the first time in two months that I even left home. The extended family have been posting selfies of themselves going into Lowe's to buy flowers sans any PPE...

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

I got a haircut today. We both wore masks, and there were four people inside a salon that usually has a dozen or more. It's fine.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
It is going to be around 87 degrees on Friday. This is not going to be good wish he would have waited until at least the end of the month. Still, Maryland is a lot lower than expected at under 35,000 cases and under 1700 deaths. Some counties have less than 100 cases (Garret has 6). Those were probably major players in this reopening.

I had a video meeting with my job yesterday and they were like "ain't nobody coming to these offices for the summer!" so I'll still be working from home until further notice.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
It's too early, we have no widespread testing, but this is still better than many states going full YOLO. Getting people acclimated to the idea of a limited opening is important too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's reported that Hogan doing this puts Maryland out of sync with D.C., Northern Virginia and Delaware:

Hogan's move puts the state slightly out of sync with its neighbors.

Just hours before Hogan announced the entering of phase one of the reopening plan and the "safer at home" guidelines, Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser extended the stay-at-home order in the nation's capital through June 8.

"Together, by staying home a little longer, soon we will be able to reopen DC safely and sustainably," Bowser said in a statement.

Across the Potomac River, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is keeping Northern Virginia counties under strict restrictions until at least May 29, while the rest of the state begins a gradual reopening on Friday.

Delaware Gov. John Carney has targeted June 1 as a potential date to begin phasing out coronavirus restrictions.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland's death count has been rising fast again and now this... pure stupidity.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I see more states are just giving up because the federal response has remained dreadful all throughout.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I will continue not leaving except for walks with the kids, thanks Larry.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
The hotspot counties will stay at home, but I can see the ones with few if any active cases allowing more normal operations.

real question is how this effects the major government agencies in the state and their employees. My wife works at the fda and she's still work from home for the time being. Ditto for myself and working from home.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
how are yours making out? I hate this homework from home

Luckily they're too young to understand anything going on. All we need to do is tell the older one the playgrounds are broken and he seems ok with it. Pretending to work 40 hour weeks while also doing full time child care really sucks, though.