• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She sounds very genuine compared to the rest of her shitty family. The rest of the family sounds arrogant with everything they say and she just sounds like a normal person.
I just really don't want to support a shitty person just because they're out to get another shitty person.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is Mary Trump a better person in any way? I don't know what her politics are at all.
I'd say so judging by her Twitter bio
unknown.png

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Just started listening to the book now and it's already pretty great.

Mary does a good job at laying out why she decided to write the book and breaking down the dynamics of the family, not just with anecdotal stories and interviews but referencing research done on their family. So far it seems important in a historical sense to be able to get this story out, and like she says in the book, her background does allow her to speak out in a way that others in the family are unwilling or afraid to do for different reasons. She may be aggrieved due to how her father was treated, but so far I feel that it gives her a certain credibility due to seeing the extent of cruelty in her family, whether it's from Donald or her grandfather Fred, and just how different Fred's relationship with Donald fed into his deep insecurity due to Fred being a sociopath himself and essentially being the one that had to raise the children, but not in a caring way. It sounds like both parents really weren't really emotionally available in an extreme sense.

There is a lot of dysfunction in their family, and it's probably a big reason Mary took an interest in psychology, but it does put her in a position to understand it better and communicate it.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
Some of those excerpts, wow, no wonder Trump is how he is. His father was a complete sociopath and his mother didn't seem to give a shit about her kids.
I will never feel sorry for Donald Trump, he's a piece of shit but what happened to him as a kid is really really fucked up.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm reading the book and enjoying it. It's not a book of revelations (we all know plenty of shit he did anyway) but rather an origin story, and it's interesting to learn what Trump's family environment was.

Mar 22, 2019
Finished it last night. Probably the "best" book about Trump i've read and it seemed to be more of a story about his family and life to explain why he is the way he is.
Absolutely brutal statements in the last two chapters though which left me feeling genuienly terrified if he wins again in November.

Spoiler text on (although not a surprising comment when you read it):

"Every time you hear Donald talking about how something is the greatest, the best, the biggest, the most tremendous (the implication being that he made them so), you have to remember that the man speaking is still, in essential ways, the same little boy who is desperately worried that he, like his older brother, is inadequate and that he, too, will be destroyed for his inadequacy. At a very deep level, his bragging and false bravado are not directed at the audience in front of him but at his audience of one: his long-dead father."

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Mary Trump is going to be a guest on Maddow tonight. They just showed a short preview from the interview on MSNBC. Truly shocking and completely surprising news:

Trump's Niece to Maddow: Trump used anti-semitic slurs and the n-word

edit: Clip of the interview

Last edited:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the deal with Mary Trump? I see posters calling her a grifter and a bad person, but if I have a trash family member in the most important position in our nation I definitely would sell my story.

It's her experience with the orange buffoon, so she has the rights to share it the way she sees fit. She isn't an elected official in this administration.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Been listening to it for a couple hours now, pretty good so far. Hope people start trolling Trump with mashed potatoes.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
www.politico.com

‘He Is and Always Will Be a Terrified Little Boy’

Mary Trump has not indicted her uncle. She has indicted the whole family. And that could give it a "seismic imprint."

www.politico.com

Psychological disorders and family squabbles: 9 details from the book by Donald Trump’s niece

Here are some of the most revelatory and incendiary passages from Mary Trump's new book.

"Donald suffered deprivations that would scar him for life" and developed personality traits such as "displays of narcissism, bullying [and] grandiosity" as a result, the author writes. Matthews, the White House spokesperson, said in a statement: "The President describes the relationship he had with his father as warm and said his father was very good to him. He said his father was loving and not at all hard on him as a child."

Yup. That checks out. His constant need for praise and adulation really sync up with this take.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
So what's the deal with Mary Trump? I see posters calling her a grifter and a bad person, but if I have a trash family member in the most important position in our nation I definitely would sell my story.

It's her experience with the orange buffoon, so she has the rights to share it the way she sees fit. She isn't an elected official in this administration.
Donald and Frank basically killed her father and then wrote them out of Frank's will too. I'd do the same.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

It seems there are some people who think she's just angry she got written out of the will and is selling her story for a payday.

From what I've seen there's not anything particularly revelatory in the book, but she's said in interviews that she wrote it for catharsis. If she can get some closure by putting it out in the world and make a buck at the sane time, I can't really fault her.

I have some minor qualms with the fact that she's a licensed clinical psychologist and it's against her profession's code of ethics to diagnose someone she hasn't personally examined, which she seems to skirt close to in the book. But ultimately I think the newsworthiness of the subject probably supersedes that ethical tenet in this case.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Mary Trump is going to be a guest on Maddow tonight. They just showed a short preview from the interview on MSNBC. Truly shocking and completely surprising news:

Trump's Niece to Maddow: Trump used anti-semitic slurs and the n-word

edit: Clip of the interview

Early on in the book, Mary talked about how her father Fred Jr. joined a Jewish fraternity in college, and mentioned that it is possible that he did it as a subconscious rebuke to his father, Fred Sr., who used phrases like, "Jew me down" often, implying Fred Sr. has a history of anti-Semitic attitudes.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the prologue. Looking like this is gonna be a good read.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch it now. Can you elaborate on "toxic positivity"?

Basically Trump's father was used as an example of toxic positivity. It's wherein one tries to be an optimist about events to avoid negativity, even if that means straight up avoiding the confrontation of reality.

Mary Trump uses Frank Trump with an example about the state of Mary's father, Fred. Frank contacted her on a Saturday night, telling her Fred's in the hospital but it's all okay. Mary then asked why are was Frank calling on a Saturday night, for which Frank had to be pressured to admit it's serious, and for Mary to contact Mary Anne Trump, Frank's wife. After contacting Mary Anne, she's informed that not only was the state of Fred actually serious, but he died two hours before Mary was called by Frank. Toxic positivity here prevented Frank Trump from being honest about the death of his own son, a son who he didn't visit in hospital. Pure sociopathy.

To link this with Donald Trump, this is precisely where the "coronavirus will disappear like magic" line comes from. It's entirely learned behavior. A rejecting of reality so that the possibility of a good result may seem likely. The danger is this logic should not exist with anyone who holds a position of power, for it's really no different than "God will fix it, lol" that we hear from conservatives when backed into a corner. But this is Trump's first response, not a last resort.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

I am the ultimate member of The Book of the Month Club. First I have lowlife dummy John Bolton, a war mongering fool, violating the law (he released massive amounts of Classified Information) and an NDA in order to build badly needed credibility and make a few dollars, which

....will all end up going to the government anyway. Next up is Mary Trump, a seldom seen niece who knows little about me, says untruthful things about my wonderful parents (who couldn't stand her!) and me, and violated her NDA. She also broke the Law by givng out my....

....Tax Returns. She's a mess! Many books have been written about me, some good, some bad. Both happily and sadly, there will be more to come!

6:35 PM · Jul 17, 2020

Zips

Oct 25, 2017

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

I am the ultimate member of The Book of the Month Club. First I have lowlife dummy John Bolton, a war mongering fool, violating the law (he released massive amounts of Classified Information) and an NDA in order to build badly needed credibility and make a few dollars, which

....will all end up going to the government anyway. Next up is Mary Trump, a seldom seen niece who knows little about me, says untruthful things about my wonderful parents (who couldn't stand her!) and me, and violated her NDA. She also broke the Law by givng out my....

....Tax Returns. She's a mess! Many books have been written about me, some good, some bad. Both happily and sadly, there will be more to come!

6:35 PM · Jul 17, 2020

Amusingly in his attempt to pat himself on the back there, he never once denied the claims made in either of those books. How very curious!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems there are some people who think she's just angry she got written out of the will and is selling her story for a payday.

From what I've seen there's not anything particularly revelatory in the book, but she's said in interviews that she wrote it for catharsis. If she can get some closure by putting it out in the world and make a buck at the sane time, I can't really fault her.

I have some minor qualms with the fact that she's a licensed clinical psychologist and it's against her profession's code of ethics to diagnose someone she hasn't personally examined, which she seems to skirt close to in the book. But ultimately I think the newsworthiness of the subject probably supersedes that ethical tenet in this case.
That's not really what she's doing in the book though, right? I mean it's an account of what it was like to grow up in the family, and then her applying some of her professional knowledge to those personal experiences after the fact. I don't see how her giving a personal account of her own upbringing, and offering opinions on those experiences based on her professional knowledge, is unethical at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Just out of principle, I refuse to give anyone in the Trump family a single dollar.

But I may check this out once it hits the library.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished and I don't regret buying the book. That was actually a super insightful read. Even if you don't want to give her money I'd say it's worth your time if you can borrow it from a library.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just out of principle, I refuse to give anyone in the Trump family a single dollar.

But I may check this out once it hits the library.
Why? Does her last name define what kind of person she is? This is a really silly stance.

That's not really what she's doing in the book though, right? I mean it's an account of what it was like to grow up in the family, and then her applying some of her professional knowledge to those personal experiences after the fact. I don't see how her giving a personal account of her own upbringing, and offering opinions on those experiences based on her professional knowledge, is unethical at all.
It's just my understanding that psychologists and psychiatrists are not supposed to give or suggest diagnoses for public figures they have not personally assessed. I didn't make that rule but I understand why it would exist.

Oct 26, 2017
Why? Does her last name define what kind of person she is? This is a really silly stance.

I'm not making a judgment on who she is. I said I would actually read the book once it's in the library.

But I'm not comfortable giving my dollars to the Trump family. Mary Trump seems genuine and nothing like her other family relations, but I don't really know her from the brief time she's been in the public spotlight. Lord knows she doesn't need my money since she already has a best seller so I don't think I'm altering her financial situation by not buying her book right now due to my discomfort with the rest of her family. Because there's still a possibility that some or all of the book profits could be taken by the Evil Trumps depending how the court battles play out. She has just gotten the right to speak and the publisher the right to sell. There has been no ruling where the profits go.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's just my understanding that psychologists and psychiatrists are not supposed to give or suggest diagnoses for public figures they have not personally assessed. I didn't make that rule but I understand why it would exist.
But she's not diagnosing anyone, and this is all based on her personal experiences. Very different from a psychologist going on TV and saying that X famous person or Y person on trial they've never met is ___.

Sure, she is applying her professional knowledge to those personal experiences, but that's not the same as what you are describing.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
But she's not diagnosing anyone, and this is all based on her personal experiences. Very different from a psychologist going on TV and saying that X famous person or Y person on trial they've never met is ___.

Sure, she is applying her professional knowledge to those personal experiences, but that's not the same as what you are describing.
If she is taking what she knows and observes and applying the name of a medical condition to it, which to my understanding she does do in the book, then that's diagnosing according to her profession.

Again, I don't really have a problem with it, but I've seen the criricism raised. See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-niece-book-1.5646052

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If she is taking what she knows and observes and applying the name of a medical condition to it, which to my understanding she does do in the book, then that's diagnosing according to her profession.

Again, I don't really have a problem with it, but I've seen the criricism raised. See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-niece-book-1.5646052
The professionals quoted in the article all say that it isn't unethical, the only one who suggests there might be an ethical issue does so on the basis that Mary Trump reaches her conclusions based on personal experience with Trump and not a broader selection of data points based on psychological testing. But, that person also agrees with Mary Trump's assessment that gathering such evidence about the president would be impossible because he would never agree to subject himself to the tests necessary to gather said data. Many of the psychologists quoted in this article also make the (very salient) point that diagnoses can be done based on a single 50-minute session with a patient; there is far more evidence than that of Trump's mental state, plus Mary Trump has years of personal interactions with Trump at various stages in his life to draw from.

The criticism you are making is usually lobbed at psychologists who serve as talking heads on cable news or similar venues, who suggest diagnoses based on extremely limited information without ever interacting with the person in question. That does not apply to Mary Trump at all, which is why even in the article you linked the quoted professionals in the field don't find much in the way of ethical concerns. She's had more interaction with him than any other professional in the field, and she is absolutely qualified to make diagnoses. The only issue I could see is that a lot of these interactions happened when she was young and before her training as a clinical psychologist, but unless we have reason to believe her memory is faulty or her observations are unreliable for some other reason then what she says should be taken as legitimate.

There could definitely be an issue of bias, given that she reports that both Trump and his father sexually harassed her...but IMO that just makes her observations more relevant, given she has actually experienced some of his adverse behaviors and had them direct at her.

If you find Dr. Blasey Ford reliable in using her professional knowledge to relate her own trauma, then you should have no issue with Mary Trump doing the same. I've had multiple therapists tell me their own stories of trauma in order to relate to my own during a session, that is not an unethical practice so long as their conduct is professional.

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Basically Trump's father was used as an example of toxic positivity. It's wherein one tries to be an optimist about events to avoid negativity, even if that means straight up avoiding the confrontation of reality.

Mary Trump uses Frank Trump with an example about the state of Mary's father, Fred. Frank contacted her on a Saturday night, telling her Fred's in the hospital but it's all okay. Mary then asked why are was Frank calling on a Saturday night, for which Frank had to be pressured to admit it's serious, and for Mary to contact Mary Anne Trump, Frank's wife. After contacting Mary Anne, she's informed that not only was the state of Fred actually serious, but he died two hours before Mary was called by Frank. Toxic positivity here prevented Frank Trump from being honest about the death of his own son, a son who he didn't visit in hospital. Pure sociopathy.

To link this with Donald Trump, this is precisely where the "coronavirus will disappear like magic" line comes from. It's entirely learned behavior. A rejecting of reality so that the possibility of a good result may seem likely. The danger is this logic should not exist with anyone who holds a position of power, for it's really no different than "God will fix it, lol" that we hear from conservatives when backed into a corner. But this is Trump's first response, not a last resort.
Holy shit. Thanks for elaborating. That's EXACTLY what Trump does. Christ.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

As a family member who has interacted with the patient for decades, doesn't she have enough interaction for a clinical diagnosis at this point?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As a family member who has interacted with the patient for decades, doesn't she have enough interaction for a clinical diagnosis at this point?

As a mental healthcare professional she should know it's impossible to give a valid diagnosis for someone she is personally involved with and to such an antagonistic degree.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
User banned (One week): Advocating for theft / piracy
FFS people, don't give a Trump money. Bootleg this shit.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
How far would she have to go to be unburdened by Donald? Why isn't she worthy of your money just because she has a shitty family member?
Look, she's got the name, obviously, but also it seems that she is a professional woman with her own career and her own money. This book contains information that apparently is really important for people to hear, yet she's selling it. It's grift. She's a grifter earning money off Trump's presidency and she has Trump's name. It's not the name alone, it's the fact that she is, in my eyes, no different from her shitty family members.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, she's got the name, obviously, but also it seems that she is a professional woman with her own career and her own money. This book contains information that apparently is really important for people to hear, yet she's selling it. It's grift. She's a grifter earning money off Trump's presidency and she has Trump's name. It's not the name alone, it's the fact that she is, in my eyes, no different from her shitty family members.
By this logic anyone who writes a memoir or a work of non-fiction with important subject matter is a grifter, which is really dumb. I mean she gave a bunch of lengthy interviews about the content of the book and her experiences with the family that are all free to access on network television. She's not hiding any of it and saying "you have to buy my book to find out!" This is not a John Bolton situation, she's also had to go through litigation to even get the book out and needed the backing of a major publisher to help with further legal action against her for releasing the book.

If you don't want to buy her book then don't, but idk why you'd call this a grift.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This is fucking dumb. You don't know what "grift" means, you just heard it a few times on social media and now it's your go to.