• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Change the name?

• Yes!

Votes: 72 6.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1,087 90.7%
  • Undecided...

Votes: 40 3.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
T'Chakku

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Lol ask people what phase the MCU is in, and prepare for blank stares.
People don't need to know what the specific phases are called to know the MCU is an Interconnected franchise.

It's been over a decade of advertising, crossovers and teamups in one of the biggest cinematic franchises ever. I seriously don't understand how you actually believe general audiences are unaware the MCU is a thing.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Man means person, regardless of sex, gender or sexual identity. It is our collective race as a species of homo sapiens, or HUMAN.

The X denotes the mutant gene through which one becomes homo-superior.

So yes, it should be changed to Xavier's school for better than errbody. And the team name should be changed to BITCH-Please I wish you would.

*and to back up RA, if you asked 9 people out of 10 what the MCU was they would either think they are about to be deported or go to meet Tom Cruise. The phrase MCU is not in the world gestalt of terms outside of internet fandom. Tell someone you're really into the SWCU. They say "what's that?". Oh, that's the Star Wars Cinematic Universe. They're going to laugh in your face face, the only variable is for how long they are going to laugh in your face.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
People don't need to know what phase we're in to know the MCU is an Interconnected franchise.

It's been over a decade of advertising, crossovers and teamups in one the biggest cinematic franchises ever. I seriously don't understand how you actually believe general audiences are unaware the MCU is a thing.
We're talking about a "brand" though, and the idea you put forth that the name X-Men doesn't matter if they are in the MCU.

I'm simply saying that "MCU" isn't nearly as big of a marketing phrase as you believe it to be. You can't strip away the Marvel IP that shores the foundation.

OP
OP
T'Chakku

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We're talking about a "brand" though, and the idea you put forth that the name X-Men doesn't matter if they are in the MCU.

I'm simply saying that "MCU" isn't nearly as big of a marketing phrase as you believe it to be. You can't strip away the Marvel IP that shores the foundation.
You are being pedantic for absolutely no reason.
'MCU' brand just means MarvelStudios markets the new movie in their franchise. Not literally just stick the letters 'MCU' on the poster.

We've had how many examples of lesser known characters benefiting from being under the MCU brand since the first Avengers movie catapulted the franchise to massive popularity?

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
previously, on X-Them.

I could roll with that name change.

It speaks to how they (mutants) are perceived by society and treated as other than normal, and is gender neutral.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Name the film "Uncanny" or something.

Never name drop X-men, and allude to it but never call them specifically that (think avengers Assemble before endgame)

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
the x-men are victims of prejudice right? they probably saw a lot of innocent mutants who were targeted and would want to make sure nothing like that ever happens. You could say they want to avenge them

thus the new name should be the Avengers!

in all seriousness, i think the closest we'll get to a name change is just calling them the X-force but it's so unlikely to happen

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I wish we could divorce "man" from "male". Make it a genderless term like "human", because it's so often used in that context. Call male humans jamen. Jamen, women, X-men.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
You know what, it really wouldn't bother me at all if they changed it. If they can come up with a good name, I say go for it.

X-Men '97 is coming out on D+, though that's a direct homage (continuation?) to the 1997 cartoon, but it would be interesting to see if the "modern" MCU could do a sort of soft deprecation of the X-Men name by somehow titling their movies without the "X-Men" branding. It's not necessarily a team name that needs to be directly stated within the movie universe.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Unlike the Avengers, every member of the X-Men runs around with the logo on their outfit.

There's a lot of reason to call the X-Men the X-Men; they wear their name.
They don't really wear their name though. X is for X-gene or Xavier. X is the branding more than "X-Men".

One of the movies was even shortened to X2, and no confusion was had.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, it really wouldn't bother me at all if they changed it. If they can come up with a good name, I say go for it.

X-Men '97 is coming out on D+, though that's a direct homage (continuation?) to the 1997 cartoon, but it would be interesting to see if the "modern" MCU could do a sort of soft deprecation of the X-Men name by somehow titling their movies without the "X-Men" branding. It's not necessarily a team name that needs to be directly stated within the movie universe.
The whole idea is that people recognize them as X-Men, it's why they plaster their logos on themselves like a sports team. It signifies a level or coordination and saving the day that other super teams don't have. If you change the name, you have to go all the way and none of this half step shit. The branding has to match in-universe because that's literally how they brand themselves in-universe.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They don't really wear their name though. X is for X-gene or Xavier. X is the branding more than "X-Men".

One of the movies was even shortened to X2, and no confusion was had.
My point is, the X-Men have a uniformity in-universe that other characters and teams lack, so you can't just change a name without working to maintain that uniformity, especially in regards to the X.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I and others think it's a bad idea because the alternatives seem way worse and it's a marketing disaster to change it.

But I also feel like that, while it's somewhat losing to the chuds, I just wouldn't do it just because they would never shut the fuck up about it. Whatever merits a new X-Men name would have would be utterly poisoned by the social media "discourse." IMDB would be review bombed, audience scores wherever would be review bombed, youtubers would cream their month-old boxers about it and make a bunch of money crying about how woke culture has just gone way too far, for the millionth time. There are some dumb motherfuckers out there doing that with the new Thor as I type this.

It just isn't a good idea for any number of reasons.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
The whole idea is that people recognize them as X-Men, it's why they plaster their logos on themselves like a sports team. It signifies a level or coordination and saving the day that other super teams don't have. If you change the name, you have to go all the way and none of this half step shit. The branding has to match in-universe because that's literally how they brand themselves in-universe.
Not a big deal. You can maintain the "X" branding on costumes and such to signify them being a team without referring to them in-universe as "the X-Men." I would be interested in seeing how many times to Fox movies used the term "X-Men"'; it can't be much and could likely be excised from movie dialogue without issue. Alternatively, change the team name to something that still incorporates an "X" in it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If they do it then it should be X-force.

Fits in with how organizations in the MCU are more military industrial complexy too,

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I actually do agree that the Marvel marketing engine could make any title popular enough. But because it is precisely a marketing engine it would never throw away the benefits of the original title such as name recognition and so it's kinda pointless to ponder.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
X-Men isn't getting ditched, it's one of the most recognized properties in comics.

But if we're going to get rid of it... then just go with X.

House of X. Powers of X. It's already been done in the comics, though I think it's technically ten, but it looks like an X and the association is intentional.

X: Children of the Atom. That's your first movie title if you want to avoid X-Men.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
And not just the X-Men, but the X-Women and the X-Children, too.

smile-nick-offerman.gif

viral

Oct 25, 2017
The X-gen. Not to be confused with Gen X. Funnily enough, the last generation to care about X-men. Joking, of course.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Name the film "Uncanny" or something.

Never name drop X-men, and allude to it but never call them specifically that (think avengers Assemble before endgame)
This just sounds like those seasons of all those CW shows when they'd talk around calling someone their actual name and it was the corniest shit.

Smallville: "There he is! It's the red-blue-blur!"

Arrow: "Look, The Hood left behind his calling card... a green arrow."