• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Change the name?

• Yes!

Votes: 72 6.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1,087 90.7%
  • Undecided...

Votes: 40 3.3%

• Total voters

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This could actually also be a good way to differentiate any new X-Men series from the past Fox stuff. It is probably already pretty easy to avoid using the labeling of "X-Men" in the films themselves (I wonder how many times they actually use the term "X-Men" in the Fox films, because I suspect it isn't even that much considering how many movies they have), so it mostly seems like a branding thing.

I agree that it's difficult to find another sort of inclusive label that sounds good that people can accept, but I don't really feel like a rebrand is an inherently bad idea.

edit: thinking about it more, X-Men really only refer to the main team. In general, they are just differentiated by being mutants. There are multiple teams with different names and even the membership of the X-Men is pretty fluid, especially when it's surrounding the school for gifted children. In universe, there seems to be little reason to ever utter the word X-Men" unless it's like how the public refers to "the Avengers" as just a collection of the world's most prominent heroes and not as specifically a team with a specific membership.
Unlike the Avengers, every member of the X-Men runs around with the logo on their outfit.

There's a lot of reason to call the X-Men the X-Men; they wear their name.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
MCU has already tried bamboozling us with bootleg x-men like The Eternals and the I humans. Now that we have the x-men in the mcu, I would actually like them to be called the x-men.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, please. MarvelStudios could change the name and their movie would easily make more than whatever the highest grossing Fox X-Men is. And from there, the brand would build for an even bigger box office gross for the sequels.

People acting like not having X-Men in the title would be some huge obstacle are full of it.
You're just butthurt people don't agree with you. They will not rename the X-Men! This isn't a debate, it will not happen.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i could see them doing something titular like with "The Dark Knight" vis a vis Batman since they're in a relatively awkward place with the Fox stuff

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Marvel is going to take the easiest and most boring route, and you know it. So no way they are getting renamed because that would be something interesting.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the name was ever meant to be male gendered. X-men = X Human aka humans with the X-gene in lore.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men seems pretty gender neutral already tbh.
I get people finding man exclusive (like fireman, policeman) but never got the idea that "men" as collective is exclusive. It's word origins are clearly inclusive, and in the x-men women were there from the start.

Words can have multiple meanings in context.

it's this weird prescriptivist reading of a word and ignoring its meaning and actual usage.

Why to you think the word women exists and uses a prefix on "men"? Because it was differentiate what kind of "men" you were talking about. Because men can be neutral and originally exclusively was. (There was a male prefix "wer" for men in old English)

Oct 25, 2017
I think the existing name carries so much marketing weight that they would be hesitant to change it even if they wanted to
The public knows that name, and that name has made a lot of money over the years
It's not something very many people are bothered by, and there isn't any significant movement to change it
So I imagine they will adopt the aint broke don't fix mentality
At most they may lampshade it, ideally a little more smoothly than Fox's "call it the X-women!" perhaps by making clear the verbal association to mankind (which is how most read it anyway)
Although personally I wouldn't be bothered if they wanted to call it the X-Corps or steal X-Force or something

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
We already know X-Men is inclusive because it has Marvel's best representative characters

talk is cheap and the work is done (but ever expanding)

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
The name is far too iconic.
So no not happening

I don't think a wholesale rebranding wouldn't work in this case. The X-Men name and brand is too iconic and too embedded within people's lexicons.

The name alone is worth a guaranteed $700m - $1b or more. Ain't no way they ever change it
Isn't this the same reasoning on why they haven't changed the redskins and Cleveland Indians. Yes X-men is not nearly as stupid or racist as the other two but it's the same mentality, I think 🤷‍♀️

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I've got this brand new idea, never tried before. How about we call them the Inhumans.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
latest

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the same reasoning on why they haven't changed the redskins and Cleveland Indians. Yes X-men is not nearly as stupid or racist as the other two but it's the same mentality, I think 🤷‍♀️
Yes a name that's could be more inclusive is the same as straight up racist names and offensive that caused decades long discourse about the names

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel is going to take the easiest and most boring route, and you know it. So no way they are getting renamed because that would be something interesting.
Why is using the name they have had for 50 years "boring"? You want it to be changed solely for the sake of changing it?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Why to you think the word women exists and uses a prefix on "men"? Because it was differentiate what kind of "men" you were talking about. Because men can be neutral and originally exclusively was. (There was a male prefix "wer" for men in old English)
I keep telling people that it's time to bring back wermen but no man listens.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For my money it was always "men as in members of mankind not men as in male".

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So, I say the MCU BRAND is more than strong enough...
There is no strength in an "MCU brand" though. Almost literally doesn't exist. The entry level mindshare for the work is entirely propped up by the recognizability of specific Marvel IP: Avengers, Thor, Captain America, etc.

The average person has probably seen most of the movies yet is completely disconnected from the phrase "Marvel Cinematic Universe." That's nerd shit.

This is a bizarre and completely illogical comparison
Also outdated given the existence of the Washington Commanders and the Cleveland Guardians.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
Nah they will go with X-Men, anything else will piss off everyone

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Look OP a liberal website like reset is overwhelming against changing it. There's no way Disney or Marvel's marketing team would think about changing it or even allow it. X-Men is a BRAND within itself much like Spider-Man is. It's easy to change the name of characters and teams people have to Google.

Wolverine, Storm, Jean, Rogue, Cyclops, and yes even Gambit are pretty popular and they're X-Men to generations of peoples.

What you'll get is a one off line about how mutants are the evolution of Humans and their name is based on the mutation of the X-gene

OP
OP
T'Chakku

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There is no strength in an "MCU brand" though. Almost literally doesn't exist.
Well, I've heard everything now. All of a sudden the MCU brand doesn't exist.

The average person has probably seen most of the movies yet is completely disconnected from the phrase "Marvel Cinematic Universe." That's nerd shit.
And moviegoers are somehow unaware, over a decade later that the franchise they've been watching is connected. Wild.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Well, I've heard everything now. All of a sudden the MCU brand doesn't exist.

And moviegoers are somehow unaware, over a decade later that the franchise they've been watching is connected. Wild.
Lol ask people what phase the MCU is in, and prepare for blank stares.

The idea that moviegoers are not into the lore and overarching background is not some wild idea. MCU means nothing versus "Avengers" or "Tony Stark".