• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I would actually argue that the climate makes it the BEST time. Frank has always been a self-aware character (at least when done correctly). Hell, my favorite line by him is "They laugh at the law. The rich ones who buy it and twist it to their whims. The other ones, who have nothing to lose, who don't care about themselves, or other people. All the ones who think they're above the law, or outside it, or beyond it. They know all the law is good for is to keep good people in line. And they all laugh. They laugh at the law. But they don't laugh at me." He also sees the crime as a problem to be solved and recognizes that the street level thugs are replaceable, and it's the dons and kingpins that really cause the problems. I feel like these things would inevitably lead him to FOCUS on corrupt cops and politicians, since they are the ones who cause the problems and that the law can't touch. The Punisher is at his weakest when being apolitical, his fundamental themes are strongly political by nature.
lol what. Comic wise sure but Netflix series wise this man is just gunning for revenge.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I don't like what Frank is about but I enjoyed his comic runs, and his DD stuff. I am going to watch this later today with my boo.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
C Thomas Howell dead... NOOOOOO! He is actually really good at playing an asshole in this.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking the show so far. I was never too deep into Punisher comics but I'd hope that I know enough to know if they're getting the character right.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Man the PG-13 sex scenes are so cringey in the Netflix MCU shows, especially as in this show they say fuck and show people's heads getting blown open.

Just starting episode 8, it's starting to drag the last few episodes. The subplots are really boring procedural crap and any time Frank isn't on screen I'm just desperate for him to be.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished episode 3 and

Why is there so little punishing in this show? Why can't they just give me a nasty badguy and make me hate him and then have frank punish him? like it's so simple, and this is the show that should do it, but instead it's a lot of talking, funny computer hacking, PTSD stuff, moping, talking, and no clear badguy other than Frank himself, who is a horribel asshole who brought all fo this on himself. I literally hate him pre and post his family being killed. He's the worst kind of person in both time periods. I hope the show comes to some kind of realization of this at some point

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm on Ep 9 and I'd say good but has the usual Marvel flaws - too bloated, crap subplots, glossy but hollow production values.

Jon Bernthal is awesome tho and the action is good. Micro's cool too.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Only one episode it and it's surely taking it slow so far, I guess if he was all guns blazing Punisher from episode 1 it would get a little redundant fast.

On a shallow note, lord the actress playing the lead agent (CIA I think? Or one of those agencies) is extraordinarily pretty. Her boss however was like a parody of a cliché police movie chief, complete with hands on his hips under his suit jacket.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
just finished Episode 1. Liked it. Asshole coworkers were hilariously assholish. Police chief was hilariously police chief-ish.

Those last minutes though. Phew!

Bernthal is still great.

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
lol what. Comic wise sure but Netflix series wise this man is just gunning for revenge.

For sure, I was hoping they'd start him out solely for revenge, and then have his more philosophical stuff creep in. Doesn't seem that way.

Just finished Ep 3, and while they're handling the PTSD theme really well, they seem to have abandoned every other character theme in the process, which I don't like. You guys are completely correct in that a lot of the characters (mostly the government agents) are horribly cliched, which works in a lot of the comics due to how they interact with each other and the philosophical contrasts, but doesn't really work here since they took that aspect out. Billy Russo and Micro have been really well done though, when I was expecting Micro to be the worst part. Choppy Hollywood fight scene editing strikes again, as well. I really get the feeling they were so paranoid about the political climate that they worked their hardest to completely sanitize the character (but then they kept the stupid NRA asshole in the meetings, of all fucking people).

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reached Episode 4 and its starting to slow down a bit.
I'm not sure, more episodes will tell if this suffers from the NETFLIX fatigue where less would have been more.
BUT I do know that it does suffer from the Marvel thing where all the B, C or D story lines are boring and make me want to skip them (Great job again Karen!)

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i'm four episodes in and i'm not really feeling it (100% it will be finished though, as i'm a proud completionist)

now before anyone slaughters me for what i'm now going to type; i've seen an almost unbelievable amount of extreme cinema in my life, i'm not even remotely squeamish, and i'm not a prude

but so far in the four episodes i've watched the ridiculous amount of murder going on, especially by our lead, is actually off-putting

yeah, i know he's 'the punisher'... but watching this constantly reminds me of that snyder neck snap gif. it's like, let's make killing cool, and loads and loads of killing, and make the loads of killing even cooler, kill kill kill

again, i know it's the punisher

i don't know... maybe i'm just killed out

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That bald guy had the most punchable fuckin' face.

People vomiting blood and losing limbs and this asshole walks like he's waiting for his coffee at Starbucks like "Did ya get him?"

how many episodes before he punishes badguys or there even is a badguy
About 10 seconds into episode 1 for the first question, and for the 2nd question, I'm not entirely sure that there really is a central bad guy, at least not in the same vein as the others, but I think it's
that dead guy on the floor between Adam and Dr.Gordon in the bathroom.

Episode 3 implies that it's just him going down a list.

Last edited:

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first episode. The next two were pretty meh. I can already tell this is gonna be tough to get through.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone know the name of the track that plays during the construction yard scene towards the end of episode one?

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
There's an entire episode dedicated to Frank finding a guy who doesn't know anything relevant. This shit should have been four or five episodes tops. It's a two and a half hour movie's worth of story stretched 13 hours.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Three episodes in, I like it a lot. The cast is great, good chemistry, plot setup is good as well. I'm a bit wary on some of the plot developments tho.

Ep 3 in particular *Spoilers*
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if binge watching this is the issue for some of the fatigue.
Having one every week would also force them to have a better structure in every episode, more then just setup after setup and exposition.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Couple of episodes in. This.. is not what I expected. It's not terrible, but it isn't good. What a weird way to position a Punisher story...

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What I learned is these shows are good.... when you don't binge watch them.

I'll be watching Episodes 1-3 tonight, 4-6 on Sunday, and 7-8 mid December.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Good ideas, clumsy writing, surface level exploration of heavy issues that ends up feeling like filler where it highlights problems but offers no real solutions, and the violence is brutal but lacking in style. Frank is two dimensional as ever until the very end, but the villain is actually elevated in a way you probably won't expect, which is nice. It's overlong and plodding relative to the amount of story presented, but the acting is top notch. Depends on which aspects you wanna latch onto, but I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only watched the first episode so far, but I enjoyed it. I tend to like these Marvel shows more than most people, but I can completely understand complaints about pacing issues.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really like the relationship between Frank and David. That's some good shit.