• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

The impact this movie had on the industry is nothing short of remarkable. For better or worse.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Was actually a Facebook memory for me. I chuckled seeing I was very excited about seeing it in 3D.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember sitting in a car with my friends in the parking lot after the midnight screening, talking about how absolutely batshit it would be if Marvel actually made an Infinity Gauntlet movie.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The city flythrough was hype, what with the team combos

c3ca4bad7422ce510c2410873f1d922d.gif

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we have this thread yesterday?

Edit: Oh excuse me, that was the thread about it being ALMOST 10 years old lol.

www.resetera.com

It just occurred me the original Avengers is almost 10 years old

Yeah… 10 years. Where does the time go? The world was a very different place… arguably better? It doesn’t seem like people would fight every little trivial thing. Or maybe I’m just naive? Still though, the culmination of Phase 1. Nobody knew if it would all pay off. It did. Oh boy, did it...

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
the-avengers-team.gif

One of the craziest and most legendary movie theater experiences I've ever had.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: I didn't actually see Avengers in theatres. I found out it was a thing like three months later when someone took me and a couple friends to his house after an improv show and we watched a copy he somehow got his hands on.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A genuine classic in every sense of the word, and at that point the first movie in the enterprise that I'd call unequivocally great from start to finish. The whole plot building itself around both the in-universe and meta conceit of how unrealistic and unlikely the team up is, and leaning in on the audience's desire of wanting to see it happen, makes that pan-around team up shot one of the most cathartic and earned moments in cinema. It might not be the MCU's best visual display but in terms of structure, characters, and overall writing, this is the one that still sets the bar in a lot of ways, and which only some of the movies have managed to match since then.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the first Avengers is a particularly good movie (only saw it later when I was filling in some missing gaps in the Marvel movies) but it's hard to deny the impact that its had on the industry since for better or worse, with everyone wanting to recreate the big team-up movie for their own properties.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I still remembering people trying to make up stuff about the Big Purple Guy in the end credits when leaving the theatre. Gotta gain that nerd cred.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we have this thread yesterday?

Edit: Oh excuse me, that was the thread about it being ALMOST 10 years old lol.

www.resetera.com

It just occurred me the original Avengers is almost 10 years old

Yeah… 10 years. Where does the time go? The world was a very different place… arguably better? It doesn’t seem like people would fight every little trivial thing. Or maybe I’m just naive? Still though, the culmination of Phase 1. Nobody knew if it would all pay off. It did. Oh boy, did it...
Dibs on next week's thread about it being just over 10 years old.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's not good but no one can deny how much of an impact it has had.

Oh, it's definitely good. There's a reason why it had both the insane box office legs and sits over 90% on RottenTomatoes.

It's not a perfect movie and it has obviously been outclassed since it released. But it's absolutely good. A bad movie is unlikely to have the impact that you speak of. If The Avengers was bad, the MCU wouldn't exist today.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I remember skipping prom with some friends to catch this opening weekend. While I don't think it's aged super well, it was an undeniable achievement that I didn't think could be topped at the time.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
There are a handful of times I have been watching a movie on opening night and thought "I am watching cinematic history". Avengers was one of those times. For the record, Fellowship of the Ring & the original Star Wars were a couple of others that inspired the same feeling. Like "This is a whole other level".

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I did the movie marathon for this in costume. Was SO much fun. Very happy memory.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I screamed "Thanos, that's goddamn Thanos" and literally everyone who waited were so confused

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
The movie is pretty great. But I think THIS will be the most remembered thing about it.

That fanfare will always get me pumped up. :)

Oct 27, 2017

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a classic.
Probably seen it only another time besides at the movies so not sure how its aged, but Cap definitely had his worst outfit in this film lol
Those vivid colors make it look like a cheap ass cosplay

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I remember in GAF, the majority of posters said The Dark Knight Rises would dominate Avengers critically and in the box office back in 2012.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Good point. Its mainly the neck cover though the silly wings don't help. IMO, neck cover doesn't look good on Sam Cap either.

I'm hoping they make a couple minor tweaks to it the next time we see him.

I've never loved the FalconCap costume. It's very busy. I know it would never happen I was kind of hoping that they would give Bucky's Captain America costume to Sam for the MCU.

There's some pretty cool fanart of it in the MCU style.

ikyb3n38ywp61.jpg

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the weak visuals, Avengers is still a very enjoyable watch thanks to the killer script and performances

This is the one time where Whedon wrote every character with their own personality and was able to balance the cast effectively.

It's easy to forget how phenomenal Ruffalo is here. I was so excited to see what his future in the franchise looked like.

And then the Russos happened…
Good point. Its mainly the neck cover though the silly wings don't help. IMO, neck cover doesn't look good on Sam Cap either.
They did Mackie dirty with this Party City costume

Give the man a real suit for god sake