• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed for DLSS support.

Also I hope it's moddable. Custom suits would be amazing!

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of Sony not wanting to "cannibalize" their sales, or "convince" people to buy a whole ass platform instead of waiting like they already did sounds like strategies by 12 year olds. It takes a couple of years to port these games, that's all it is. You only get day-and-date for games that started or haven't started development yet when making this decision so you can scope out resource allocation and production budgets effectively, if Sony decided day and date last year, only games that start production last (or more likely this) year are going to be day and date- hence we'd have to wait until 2025 for that to materialize at best.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This makes total sense now
56JNb4f.png
The same year the new Batman game comes out.

they clearly don't think much of Gotham Knights, :o

If Dictator is correct, and we get Forbidden West on PC news this year as well, then yeah, this year would be major for Sony.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
This one isn't a double dip title for me unless mods completely changed the game. Literally. Same for GoT.

Still happy for the PC community to get this and Morales.

If the HFW rumors are also true, I may get that though…

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Ah good times. I don't know much at all about the games beyond the praise it gets, and of course the Spiderman character and MCU.

Sony is so smart putting this on PC before the sequel comes out because so many people are gonna be like "fuck. I need a PS5 now."

Because they haven't played Spider-Man yet?

1) Hear Spider-Man is good but have no way to play it, assume it's not good enough to justify buying a console.
2) Play Spider-Man PC port and really like that.
3) Sony announce Spider-Man 2 is PS5 exclusive for x years.
4) Person wants to play Spider-Man 2 without waiting so they buy a PS5.

I bought a PS5 to play Ratchet and Clank because I'm a big fan of the series even though it'll obviously be on PC within a year or 2. (I then resold the PS5 for RRP but you're not going to be able to do that by the time Spider-Man 2 comes out, so I'd be keeping the PS5 if I bought it for that probably)

EDIT: It's obviously not the main reason Sony are doing the ports, but on the individual level it'll most likely lead to some people buying PS5s who wouldn't have if Spider-Man wasn't on PC at all. It'll probably do the opposite too though.

This is such a strange view to take, as was mentioned when HZD went to PC. This group of people would most likely be in the absolute minority, and indeed that seems clear thus far.

Myself and the other primarily PC players I know are all of a similar mindset, that we didn't bother picking up a console because it's simply not letting us play the way we prefer with the options we enjoy, and the "exclusives" are not enough to justify investing in that system. Even having a passing interest in games like Spiderman, they actively choose to ignore the game, as it isn't enough to actively invest in an entirely seperate system for it over their PC. People don't "wait" for the games as you suggest (beyond forums like this). Rather they are mostly paying attention to games becoming availble on PC, where they play.

The fact the Sony games are now coming to PC just justifies their stance, as they do get to play those games in ways they prefer, and enjoy that.
All Sony's PC porting effort has done, has confirmed to me and others that eventually these games are likely to be on PC when I can actually consider them at all. So sure, Spiderman 2 / HFW etc, I have an interest in, but we're even further away from being pushed to PS5 "because they can't wait", since the expectation is that these will be on PC at some point. I'll just consider whatever shows up in the PC marketplace, and certainly I do hope to see Spiderman 2 / Wolverine as fans of those characters (and Tony Todd!).

I'm not really sure why the assumption exists that single games will make someone invest £400+ into an ecosystem they will use for a handful of games and then never touch, because "they cannot wait". I think a lot of the people I know and myself included perhaps just aren't that kind of gamer, and we already have plenty to play that we prefer even over those games when they are available on PC.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn came out in 2017 (PC release 2.5 years later)...Spider-Man came out on PS4 in 2018 (PC release 4 years later)...God of War came out in 2018 (PC release almost exactly 4 years later)...so it's not like Sony is releasing their big new AAA games really quickly on PC...it's years later when console sales have dried out...plus like I said they are trying to drum up interest in the new game (God of War: Ragnarok, Forbidden West, Spider-Man 2 etc)

On the flipside Miles Morales will be less than 2 years old when it releases on PC, and stuff like Sackboy and Returnal looks like they'll be released over the next ( I would guess) 8-12 months. I'm looking at the offerings on the revamped PS Plus, and I think you're going to see something like a first party title like go on the service 12-18 months after release, then a PC port like 8 months after that.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I'm not really sure why the assumption exists that single games will make someone invest £400+ into an ecosystem they will use for a handful of games and then never touch, because "they cannot wait". I think a lot of the people I know and myself included perhaps just aren't that kind of gamer, and we already have plenty to play that we prefer even over those games when they are available on PC.

This. Like, aside from Ragnarok and the Spider-Man sequel, the wait/lack of need for me to pick up a PS5 is just becoming a whole lot easier when things like this happen, and it's only going to increase from here. PlayStation is no longer just a singular, tied down box.

Oct 25, 2017
Myself and the other primarily PC players I know are all of a similar mindset, that we didn't bother picking up a console because it's simply not letting us play the way we prefer with the options we enjoy, and the "exclusives" are not enough to justify investing in that system. Even having a passing interest in games like Spiderman, they actively choose to ignore the game, as it isn't enough to actively invest in an entirely seperate system for it over their PC. People don't "wait" for the games as you suggest (beyond forums like this). Rather they are mostly paying attention to games becoming availble on PC, where they play.

It's like you read my mind, that's how I think about consoles as well even though I own many of them.

I bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne and Project Diva and ignored the major Sony games. I didn't care how acclaimed they were because I couldn't play them at the settings I prefer.

I own a copy of SMTV for Switch that's just sitting there, still sealed, because there might be a PC port one day. I'd prefer to wait years for it to come than to play on a Switch.

The PC games library is absolutely massive, I've got plenty I can play in the meantime.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Seeing this PC initiative from Sony as tactic to get a significant number of PC gamers to buy consoles, is just as weird as the thinking this PC initiative is going to cause a significant number of entrenched console gamers to suddenly want to leave that heavily subsidized, simplified comfort zone to deal with the expensive technical pitfalls of the PC platform.

Neither idea makes much sense when you really apply critical analysis. It's much easier to just accept the reality that Sony is literally just selling to PC gamers because they've finally read the room as their contemporaries operate in the PC ecosystem to make extra money.

There is no forecasted threat to the bottom line or master plan in play; this move is completely segregated from the Playstation. Common sense business doesn't require much armchair analysis.

Any gain or loss to the PlayStation userbase itself will be a rounding error.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Which would totally make since if this was still a 2019 like market but it isn't and the 2022 market says you need to sell your games on every avenue you can. If you want the big ND or Santa Monica bangers then you need to sell more copies to continue to do so... I promise I'm not trying to troll you or anything but do you think they're never going to release first party titles day one on pc?
I mean, you don't *have* to. You could be Nintendo and still rake in the dosh. Of course they also don't make games with budgets like Sony first party.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Seeing this PC initiative from Sony as tactic to get a significant number of PC gamers to buy consoles, is just as weird as the thinking this PC initiative is going to cause a significant number of entrenched console gamers to suddenly want to leave that heavily subsidized, simplified comfort zone to deal with the expensive technical pitfalls of the PC platform.

Neither idea makes much sense when you really apply critical analysis. It's much easier to just accept the reality that Sony is literally just selling to PC gamers because they've finally read the room as their contemporaries operate in the PC ecosystem to make extra money.

There is no forecasted threat to the bottom line or master plan in play; this move is completely segregated from the Playstation. Common sense business doesn't require much armchair analysis.

Any gain or loss to the PlayStation userbase itself will be a rounding error.
Yeah

I don't know why people are still pulling those stupid arguments after multiple years of Xbox thriving alongside MS' PC efforts.

People like playing on Consoles/PC, and are simply happy to buy your games if you release them in their preferred platform, it's really that simple.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Ah good times. I don't know much at all about the games beyond the praise it gets, and of course the Spiderman character and MCU.

This is such a strange view to take, as was mentioned when HZD went to PC. This group of people would most likely be in the absolute minority, and indeed that seems clear thus far.

Myself and the other primarily PC players I know are all of a similar mindset, that we didn't bother picking up a console because it's simply not letting us play the way we prefer with the options we enjoy, and the "exclusives" are not enough to justify investing in that system. Even having a passing interest in games like Spiderman, they actively choose to ignore the game, as it isn't enough to actively invest in an entirely seperate system for it. People don't "wait" for the games as you suggest (beyond forums like this). Rather they are mostly paying attention to games becoming availble on PC, where they play.

The fact the Sony games are now coming to PC just justifies their stance, as they do get to play those games in ways they prefer, and enjoy that.
All Sony's PC porting effort has done, has confirmed to me and others that eventually these games are likely to be on PC when I can actually consider them at all. So sure, Spiderman 2 / HFW etc, I have an interest in, but we're even further away from being push me to PS5, or to "wait", since the expectation is that these will be on PC at some point. I'll just consider whatever shows up in the PC marketplace, and certainly I do hope to see Spiderman 2 / Wolverine as fans of those characters (and Tony Todd!).

I wasn't talking about the population en-masse. I was talking about individuals. I thought the person I was replying to was saying that no one (as in literally zero people) would buy a PS5 specifically to play Spider-Man 2 after playing 1 on PC. That's all I was disputing and providing the reasoning for why someone would do that. I'm going to buy a PS5 if Spider-Man 2 isn't on PC at launch. Whether I resell it or not after depends on a load of factors. But I'm not waiting two years (I expect the gap to be much smaller, if there is one at all) for Spider-Man 2 to come out on PC after it comes out on PS5. Like I said I've already done the same for Ratchet and Clank. If there's no other reason to have a PS5 then I'll just resell it after. In the end that'll cost like £30 max anyway.

It's like all the people port-begging for Persona 5 on Switch. A couple of years ago (I haven't looked at it recently and obviously it's different with Royal now) you could get a PS3 on eBay and a digital copy of the game for only like £20 more than the game would be on Switch anyway. And then you just sell the PS3 and suddenly it's cheaper.

The whole point is that those theoretical people have a passing interest now, but if they play the PC version of 1 that might result in them having more than a passing interest. It happens to me all the time. I got a PS4 when the critical mass of exclusives made it worth it to me, and I played Persona 5. I really liked it so I bought a Vita to play 4 Golden, because it was the only way to play it. It was worth the cost rather than waiting for a port to a platform I already owned (or, what seemed more likely at the time, for Vita emulation to be good enough).

I'm primarily a PC player and don't buy games all the time because I can't play them in the way I want to play. I never played Overwatch because they removed ultrawide support after the beta. I haven't got any of the Epic exclusives because I'm waiting for them to come on Steam. But then if a game I really want to play is only available in a format I don't like (platform, not having options I want, etc), then I'll try to find a way to play that game. Some games are more important than platforms to me. I'd rather play the next 3D Mario rather than complain that the Switch 2 only supports touch screen inputs. I'm going to play Persona 6 on whatever platform it's on. I play Switch games in spite of the platform all the time.

But then there's other games I don't care about enough to play on not my preferred platform (PC). I haven't played SMT V yet even though I own a Switch because I'm waiting for the PC port. I haven't played Final Fantasy VII Remake yet because I was waiting for the PC port and now I'm waiting for the Steam release. I haven't played Sackboy yet even though I've got a PS4 (and temporarily had a PS5) because I'm waiting for the PC port. I didn't play Disco Elysium straight away after I bought it because I wanted to play it on Steam Deck.

Again, I'm not saying the point in Sony's strategy is to make people realise Spider-Man is good so they buy a PS5 to play Spider-Man 2 at launch. We know it isn't. It wouldn't make sense (why would Sony care what platform you buy their games on?), and they explicitly said in the investors presentation last year that the point in PC ports was to reach new audiences. But there will be at least one person who (assuming there's a gap between the console and PC release) will buy a PS5 to avoid waiting to play it on PC. It's the whole point in the strategy behind timed exclusivity.

If people refused to play games on any platform other than their preferred platform, then everyone would only own one platform. We know that's not true. The majority of people do only own one platform, but that's not at all relevant to the point.

And yes, obviously there will be people who would have bought a PS5 but aren't because PC ports are happening. But there is a smaller group of people who will buy (or at least considering buying) a PS5 after playing the PC versions of Sony games so they don't have to wait for the ports. There's a 100% chance that at least one person has bought a PS4 or PS5 after playing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC so they could play Forbidden West without waiting, even though obviously it's going to be on PC by this time next year.

Last edited:

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
That 'let's get PC players to get a console for a sequel' theory is real dumb if you think about it more than not at all.

Yeah, there will be some people who'll get a PS5 because of this but not in any meaningful numbers, and there'll be also about as many people that won't get a PS5 now because they can just get stuff on PC.

And they obviously will go day and date eventually, hell, probably this year even if they put out a GAAS title.

Last edited:

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
The future success of this on PC is going to change the freaking future for Sony.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Sony's plan is clear...release the older games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man Remastered etc close to the release of the new game on PS5...hoping that it'll get people to buy a console...they're never going to release a game on PS5 and PC simultaneously
Bet you this happens eventually. The market will demand it, and Sony will be happy to oblige.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you don't *have* to. You could be Nintendo and still rake in the dosh. Of course they also don't make games with budgets like Sony first party.
You don't have to... But you'd just be kicking yourself not to. Sony themselves said how the cost to port games to new platforms has gone down significantly in recent years, I think around when Days Gone came out. PC versions aren't free money, but they're really low risk, high return.

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
How long is Miles morale? Is it a full length game or is it like a dlc campaign?

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be super interesting to see how many units this sells on PC. I imagine it's gonna do absolutely colossal numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
On the flipside Miles Morales will be less than 2 years old when it releases on PC, and stuff like Sackboy and Returnal looks like they'll be released over the next ( I would guess) 8-12 months. I'm looking at the offerings on the revamped PS Plus, and I think you're going to see something like a first party title like go on the service 12-18 months after release, then a PC port like 8 months after that.

They are going to speed up once they get through the backlog of PS4 games as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep a 6-12 month buffer or go day 1 eventually. Not having to have both versions ready for launch is probably easier for the devs.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The best part of the announcement is the game is releasing in 2 months and there was no leak. Makes you wonder how many other ports are in development right now.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn... I own this game on PS5, haven't gotten very far on it, but can't wait to buy it again for the PC. Mostly because it's easier for me to play video games in the computer room, but I am pumped.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Myself and the other primarily PC players I know are all of a similar mindset, that we didn't bother picking up a console because it's simply not letting us play the way we prefer with the options we enjoy

Perfect. There's no way I'll buy something like Returnal on PS, especially at $70, not having any way to modify it.

Slippy

Oct 23, 2021
I don't think that was necessarily an actual leak to be honest. The only thing they got right was that it would be announced at the E3-equivalent event, which is what I'd say if I was making up a leak of anything. They also said Miles is far off, which isn't true.

I think for Miles it's sort of accurate since there's no release date and will release later but yeah it's not totally accurate but very close.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, great to get both this and (eventually) Miles as well.

.....now Where are we on that list of 'reasons XYZ PS4 exclusives will never come to PC' chart? ;)

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
After Returnal, the last option is day and date. I think the best shot at that is TLOU Remake but I don't think it'll happen until end of gen.
I would not rule out day and date for the remake. Since 2020, have been hiring programmers and developers for roles that are more PC oriented. Doesn't outright confirm anything but something to think about. Maybe they have the staff to be able to do day and date. Or maybe it's just for factions.

www.pcgamer.com

The Last of Us Part 2 job listing asks for PC, DX12 and Nvidia experience

But a PC port still seems unlikely.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this runs well on the Steam Deck, I would to replay it on my Deck. Never played Miles so looking forward to checking that out.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Very excited to buy these again on PC. Even though I've already played them on PS5.
Always love having a PC version for extra customization, higher framerates, and using any kind of controls.
Gonna be awesome! These games had my favorite ray traced reflections so far and I imagine it can look even nicer on pc too.

Also I should have a steam deck by the time this is out which will badass to play Spiderman on!

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
This wasn't a part of the Nvidia leak, was it ?
Nope, which means while the leak is fairly accurate in its contents, it's not comprehensive. So there is hope for HFW, TLoU, and others (but maybe not Bloodborne ☹️)

Now where the hell is Miles?
it's coming

www.resetera.com

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales heading to PC (Autumn 2022)

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/06/02/marvels-spider-man-series-is-coming-to-pc/ SIUUUUUUUUU