• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Finished the game tonight. I need Miles to be a HUGE part of this series going forward. If he and his cast of characters are pushed to the side to just center Peter I'll be very disappointed.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished it and while it didn't have the same impact as the main Spider-Man game in that I knew going in how great the swinging and combat were, there's just so much to love about this game. Miles is amazing as a main character and it's so refreshing to see so much representation here - it's honestly great going hours without seeing a white guy lol.

Soundtrack is amazing too, I'm not usually into this sort of stuff but that 'Where We Come From' track is amazing, as is the scene with it used later in the game.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game tonight. I need Miles to be a HUGE part of this series going forward. If he and his cast of characters are pushed to the side to just center Peter I'll be very disappointed.

I would honestly be fine if they wrote Peter out in a game or two. Have him retire or join the avengers or something.

Oct 28, 2017
Completed the game. Story was kinda average. I don't understand why Miles couldn't have just
Phin Harlem would blow. Instead, it was all just, "wait, I have to tell you something." "You don't understand. Let me tell you something".

The ending cinematic was nice, though.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Started in fidelity mode and sat there thinking this looks nice and doesn't run to bad. Then I switched to performance mode. I can't go back. So smooth.

Is there still issues with rest and Spider-Man remastered?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I went from a 100% run of Spidey Remastered and my first time ever playing any of the City That Never Sleeps DLC and transitioning to Miles from that was super satisfying.

I platinumed Spidey 2018 within a week, kinda wanted the refresher since I was investing the extra $20 to get it with the Miles Ultimate. The shift in tone and perspective when Miles starts up, especially after the build up and teases throughout City That never Sleeps, was super satisfying.

I really, really love Miles' playstyle. I tend to play these games by doing as many optional objectives that are available to me at any given time, and I'm up to just shy of 50% progression in Miles now (according to my save file load). This game is a fantastic and more streamlined take on the formula set down by Spidey 2018 — it sorta reminds me of the change in feeling going from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 back in the day, though the baseline was much higher quality than that difference (that is to say, I feel like Spidey 2018 is a much better designed and more polished game than Mass Effect 1). Just a great game — absolutely love the adjustments to the gameplay design, I love Miles' Venom powers and invisibility, and I really really love the tone of the narrative — it feels really hopeful and inspiring in these times to me.

Paid $70 for what I feel like is one huge and insanely entertaining and beautiful Spidey saga, lol. I really can't wait to see what Insomniac offers up for the next game, because everything so far is really good. City That Never Sleeps, being my first time ever playing it and playing all three parts back to back, felt almost like its own little mini-release too and there were a lot of great character moments in it IMO.

Miles and his supporting cast are sooooo endearing, I like them more than Peter but I say that thinking that Insomniac has an excellent rendition of Peter on their hands.

EDIT: I've now re-Platinumed Spidey Remastered, and done all three City That Never Sleeps at 100%. It's my intention to Platinum Miles, too. Going up to 60fps on PS5 took Spidey 2018 from a 8.5/10 kinda feeling game to me to a straight up 10/10, it is transformative (in addition to visual enhancements on top of that!).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It took me 21 hours to 100% the game on Spectacular. Haven't done NG+ or gone for the Platinum yet. All the concern trolling about the game's length was so foolish.

I would honestly be fine if they wrote Peter out in a game or two. Have him retire or join the avengers or something.

I love Peter and MJ in the 2018 game, so I want them back, but I just think they did a much better job of rooting Miles in the city. He deserves to co-headline any Spider-Man title. He is Spider-Man as much as Peter is.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It took me 21 hours to 100% the game on Spectacular. Haven't done NG+ or gone for the Platinum yet. All the concern trolling about the game's length was so foolish.

Yeah, I agree. After freshly completing Spidey Remastered AND all its DLC in one go, I really appreciate the brisk pace of Miles. I feel like there's less time between the peaks of the game for me. I personally don't feel like 2018 had much in the way of bloat, but trying to 100% it could feel just a bit padded at times for me. That's a very specific approach of play that doesn't apply to most players, but I do appreciate that Miles is just that much more brisk in its rearrangement of how side activities reward more generalized tokens, side activities unlock at a faster pace IMO, and how the game just rearranges how random crimes work too.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he will probably get killed since Miles is basically a red flag for that.

is there some precedent set in the comics? That would be really sad. He deserves a happy ending at least

I love Peter and MJ in the 2018 game, so I want them back, but I just think they did a much better job of rooting Miles in the city. He deserves to co-headline any Spider-Man title. He is Spider-Man as much as Peter is.

I guess we will have to see how they do a co headlining game. I expect they will both be playable in the next game in some form. But I agree, Peter and Mj are a great couple and I'm looking forward to see more of that.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

Yup...it's currently my favorite PS5 game! It's so well done, the ending was amazing, the multi-verse suit with its 2 frames was amazing! Miles fade is amazing! The ending shot with him dancing in Harlem amazing! My wife loved watching me play it as well....getting the plat today before I really dig into Demons souls

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having audio problems with a headphone?
Some sounds are so muffled and low quality...

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Bit of a niche request for anyone who has the game (don't have a PS5 yet)

In the first game there was an unusual variant of the Irish Flag (amongst a bunch of other flags in front of a building), and I'm curious if it's still there in Miles Morales (or if anyone has any ideas on why they used this design instead of the actual flag)

Cheers to anyone willing to help with this mystery

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Damn, guess the patch didn't fix the Remastered's crashing. Just happened again.

I literally can not play it without it booting to dash every 10-15 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
Completed the game. Story was kinda average. I don't understand why Miles couldn't have just
Phin Harlem would blow. Instead, it was all just, "wait, I have to tell you something." "You don't understand. Let me tell you something".

The ending cinematic was nice, though.
He did multiple times, she just dismissed them as him lying and didn't believe him until the damage was being done.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well gotdamn. Just finished. I was not expectng to get emotional. Also,
Spider-Man vs. the Tinkerer was a freaking Dragon Ball fight lol

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
I enjoyed it, story was good, Miles is GREAT and got the 100% and all trophies

Can't help but feel a bit robbed cos I paid £55 for what felt like an extremely short game

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Been hammering this pretty hard since I got my PS5, haven't actually played anything else yet 😂 finished it last night in 22 hours.

Going in I was pretty confident I was gonna like it but a little bit cautious due to my time with the previous game. I ended up loving it a lot in the end but had a lot of issues with the side activities which felt like they were stuck in the PS2 era, which brought the game down from the highs of the phenomenal story.

So with that in mind, this has far exceeded every expectation I ever had for it already. It's safe to say it plays very similarly to the previous game, the mechanics, the combat, the stealth sections, the Arkham-style Predator sections and - unfortunately - some of the side activities are all very familiar if you've played SM 2018. So in lots of ways it doesn't really innovate, it merely tweaks the formula from the previous game adding in new powers for Miles like the 'Venom' Power stuff, but when the core is as strong as it is there was no point starting from scratch. Everything works, and it works really well, the combat is still fun, the swinging is still addictive as fuck and the side activities are still a little PS2-esque but trimmed down a bit from the previous game. It feels a bit like being reacquainted with an old friend really.

Whilst that core from the previous game is very much in tact the game still manages to have a very different feel to it thanks to Miles. Miles is just a very different character and a very different Spider-Man than Peter Parker and his identity and charisma is running through pretty much every facet of the game. Whilst the previous game had you taking charge of a confident, assured Peter Parker that had honed his craft over a number of years, Miles is still a teenager who has a lot to learn in general. He is becoming a man, has just become 'the other' Spider-Man and has to deal with a lot of strong emotions from the events of SM 2018 coupled with moving to a new neighbourhood and his Mother running for a local Council position.

Miles just makes the game so much more refreshing. We've seen and played as Peter Parker's Spidey in so many games and films over the years that getting to pilot Miles in this and see New York from a totally different perspective just feels fresh and unique. The best way I can describe it is akin to 'The Lost and Damned' DLC from GTA IV, you're playing a new character that starts off in a totally different district that it makes the game and the environment itself feel totally fresh and new because you're coming at it from such a different angle. I think the Christmas setting this time around lends the city a totally different feel to the Summery New York of SM 2018 as well.

This being a PS5 launch title I have to mention the graphics. They are extraordinary. Not just the big things you notice like the Ray Traced reflections on every surface (playing in fidelity mode) but the little things like the squirrels that now roam about and run up trees or the little ornate gardens outside some of the opulent buildings that are scattered across Manhattan. Every single building you come across seems to have so much more detail to it than in the previous game, Manhattan in that game often came across as a little bland for me in some of the outer districts but in this every single one has its own identity. There was one section quite near the beginning of the story where you're walking through a Harlem street market with Miles and his friend and it just blew me away, getting this level of graphical quality this early in the generation is just insane to me.

My only real criticism of it would be the side activities again. Don't get me wrong, they are far less of an issue here and I've enjoyed them for the most part but every now and again they'll get on my tits a bit, nothing to the level of SM 2018, but yeah there still is some room for improvement there in my view.

The story moves at a quicker pace this time around. It did take the previous game a while to get going but here it seems to throw you into the deep end a bit sooner with some twists coming relatively early that I never saw coming. I just love hanging out with Miles and his friends really, some of my favourite moments are just walking around his Mums apartment studying various bits and pieces in there and listening to all the banter in Spanish (and English) between them.

I've just loved being back in this Marvel version of New York again and piloting Miles, he really is a breath of fresh air. I really cannot recommend this enough, this is one of the best ever PS launch titles already in my view, definitely shits all over the PS4 and PS3 offerings that's for sure. What a start to the next generation!

It is consistently great throughout, with some amazing characters and a nice succinct, satisfying story. The side activities were the low point but never irked me or outstayed their welcome like they did in the previous game.

Really can't recommend it enough, it's just such fun to play and a real sight to behold.

Loved it so much I've just started a NG+ run to go for the Platinum.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Someone should create a Spider-Man 2 speculation thread. I think it'd be quite interesting to read opinions on where people want the franchise to go in the future (things like should both Pete and Miles be playable, what villains should be in the game, whether co-op would be a good addition or not... that kind of thing)

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
How do you track how long you played the game? Or are people just mentally keeping track?

As far as i know no, only for the Crimes. But no idea if you can get enough activity tokens for all suits and Mods without.
Pretty sure you can get it without doing the bonus. And they are seemingly infinite. I had 40 tokens at some point, decided to re-select a crime I completed with all the objectives complete and got 41.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, really liked the ending. Was the Oscorp science center in the first game? I'm thinking no, I definitely would have remembered a building like that.

Some spoilery thoughts--
-What happened to the Rhino--did Tinkerer kill him or not? If I remember correctly it looked like Tinkerer stabbed him in the chest which would probably be survivable. Unsure if this was supposed to be vague or definitive.
-Overall I think the story hits a few too many of the same notes as the first game's, what with it being about a supervillain who used to be a friend of the main character going on a rampage against an evil business man. But I think it does enough to hold its own.
-The Prowler is the aspect of the story that makes it stand out the most from the first I think, and the direction his character went in the end surprised me. I was kind of expecting him to betray Miles outright and for him to be the last boss and die instead of Phin somehow, but the way it played out was much more interesting.
-I think Phin felt a little *too* unreasonable after the Rhino moment. Felt there should have been something a little more to tip her over the edge to endgame Phin than Miles just stopping her from killing a guy who she didn't really know.
-But in the end her sacrifice in the end was probably the best story moment on the whole.
-The added emphasis on wall and ceiling takedowns was pretty cool--these were in the original game but every stealth sequence felt like they were designed around not having to use them.
-I think the game could have used like one more sidequest devoted to a supervillain like Tombstone, Taskmaster, and Screwball in the first. The Kingpin series was kinda cool (though the climactic scene was kinda ruined by the Kingpin's voice not loading in my scene so he was completely silent) but I think it could have done with one more.
-Not a fan of locking so many things to New Game+, a mode that I basically never play in any game that it's available in.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
The only major knock I have, strictly gameplay-wise, is that the camo ability seemed like a bit of an afterthought during the story missions? I honestly forgot I had the ability until towards the end of the game.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just switched to fidelity for a sec after ~12 hours in performance and...what the absolute fuck? It looks soooooo stuttery now. I just played the OG Spidey's DLC at 30fps before moving on to Miles, so I know it's totally fine if you're used to it...but shifting back to 30 after 60 is straight up insane.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I just switched to fidelity for a sec after ~12 hours in performance and...what the absolute fuck? It looks soooooo stuttery now. I just played the OG Spidey's DLC at 30fps before moving on to Miles, so I know it's totally fine if you're used to it...but shifting back to 30 after 60 is straight up insane.

If you are shifting any game to 30 after 60 it feels really bad. But if you start playing it at 30 its not bad at all. Spiderman was "smooth" on the PS4 despite being only 30

pmunk

Nov 11, 2017
Finally decided to take a break from my awfulness at Demons Souls to really dive into this today. Miles is an excellent change of pace from the first game's Peter. Swinging as good as ever, and really happy to dive back into this world for 20-30 hours.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Someone should create a Spider-Man 2 speculation thread. I think it'd be quite interesting to read opinions on where people want the franchise to go in the future (things like should both Pete and Miles be playable, what villains should be in the game, whether co-op would be a good addition or not... that kind of thing)

Havent finished the game yet, but there is a certain gadget that seems like a test bed for how this could work...

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm around 3/4 of the way through, and although I think gameplay wise it's near enough identical to the previous Spiderman game, I'm still having a blast playing it.

Although I have to say those little side missions you unlock later where you have to search for noises are just straight up bad.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely agree. I hope Miles' extended cast help in the next spider-man game. Ganke and Mary Jane working together would be pretty cool.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Is it just me, or are the bosses far more interesting mechanically than anything from the first game?

Like, they're not winning any awards, but I found them to be pretty decent from a design standpoint considering most boss fights in superhero games tend to be pretty dull mechanically. The final boss in particular was a highlight.