• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay really feels unpolished compared to the first game in a way that has been shocking to me. The combat and traversal feel sloppy compared to the original. Still having fun but pretty disappointing.

Wanna elaborate? I especially don't get traversal being sloppily than the original, seeing as you can

double jump and air dash now, and that being tied to a meter that is filled by doing tricks. That entire loop is significantly tighter than basic traversal in spider man 1

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Wanna elaborate? I especially don't get traversal being sloppily than the original, seeing as you can

double jump and air dash now, and that being tied to a meter that is filled by doing tricks. That entire loop is significantly tighter than basic traversal in spider man 1
To be fair, the problems I have with traversal are only really apparent when trying to get the top score in the speed challenges. Sometimes things get buggy when you're trying to latch to specific points (sometimes you'll randomly latch to the ground or the points just won't highlight for you to latch to). When attempting to get the 'Ultimate' time (specifically in the 3.0 challenge) it feel like they are asking for a level of control that the game just doesn't give you.

I definitely have more problems with the combat than with traversal, where perfect dodges are ignored half of the time, I find myself getting oddly stuck on geometry more often, enemies sometimes bug out, and you'll often find yourself being hit by something without spidey sense ever being triggered.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished this last night and enjoyed the utter heck out of it. Felt like the perfect length and packed with a really solid narrative and incredible gameplay.

For any Rupaul's Drag Race fans I figured I'd point out in this thread that there's an easter egg in the game's Social Feed related to it. It was a really wonderful tribute a friend of mine at Insomniac put in for my boyfriend Jake who passed away a short time ago and absolutely loved Drag Race (we watched 11 seasons of it in like 2 months). Anyway, thought I'd put it here in case there are any Drag Race fans who may not have caught it.

EnFrVRiXMAAOZr8

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Haha. Had the coolest purchase for some white dude. I didn't buy any games for the PS5, but after seeing a video the other day decided to get this.

Went to Target. Asked the guy for PS5 Miles Morales and the non-white employee went "Hell yeah!". Ended up getting the game and having some old school game store chat at the register. Was pretty sweet.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Finished this last night and enjoyed the utter heck out of it. Felt like the perfect length and packed with a really solid narrative and incredible gameplay.

For any Rupaul's Drag Race fans I figured I'd point out in this thread that there's an easter egg in the game's Social Feed related to it. It was a really wonderful tribute a friend of mine at Insomniac put in for my boyfriend Jake who passed away a short time ago and absolutely loved Drag Race (we watched 11 seasons of it in like 2 months). Anyway, thought I'd put it here in case there are any Drag Race fans who may not have caught it.

EnFrVRiXMAAOZr8
Just wanted to say this is really cool of them and truly sorry for your loss. Hope you are holding up ok.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I think they needed to diversify the colors in Miles's suits. Pretty much all of them black and red. Albeit they had to design a bunch of suits for this game given Miles has only been around for about 9 years and doesn't have as many as Peter who has been around for almost 60 years.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I started playing the game yesterday and finished it earlier today. Got to 100% completion too! I loved it. I got quite emotional when it came to an end because it was honestly so good.

I have a couple of NG+ related trophies left to get, including a full replaythrough — but they don't seem to let you skip cutscenes in NG+? I'll get around to replaying it through after I play a few other PS5 games.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Finished the game earlier today. The cutscenes are amazingly detailed and jawdropping. really excited to see what's in store if this is a PS5 launch game.

Miles was great. Hope he gets another sequel down the line.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a game that lets me realize my dream of playing as Spiderbrick! Sorry for the off hand noises, didn't realize my controller was recording my audio lol.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Platinum trophy obtained. Wonderful game. I might enjoy it more than the original.

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing tonight and the game is a lot of fun as expected.

I'm not really feeling much in the way of haptics or trigger effects though. Like I can barely feel the web trigger doing anything, and didn't they say that when you do a venom punch the vibrations go from one side of the controller to the other? I'm getting pretty basic rumbles for everything.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing tonight and the game is a lot of fun as expected.

I'm not really feeling much in the way of haptics or trigger effects though. Like I can barely feel the web trigger doing anything, and didn't they say that when you do a venom punch the vibrations go from one side of the controller to the other? I'm getting pretty basic rumbles for everything.

The triggers confused me a lot because I could swear hearing from hands on stuff pre-release that you could feel the tension as you swung so you knew when to let go, but I'm not getting any of that. The triggers are constantly in a state where they're resisting the last bit no matter what I was doing, to the point that if I bring up the UI I could feel the triggers click into place a bit.

Haptics I mostly only noticed when you interact with a computer. But yeah, overall it seems like a pretty weak use for the controller.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I've maybe missed something, but I remember if you were standing still in the original game being able to immediately zip to, say, the top of a lamp post and just perch.

I can see it highlights certain points, but I can't for the life of me get Miles to perch on anything.

Did I make this up in the first game or did they change it?

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've maybe missed something, but I remember if you were standing still in the original game being able to immediately zip to, say, the top of a lamp post and just perch.

I can see it highlights certain points, but I can't for the life of me get Miles to perch on anything.

Did I make this up in the first game or did they change it?
Haven't played Miles yet, but try L2 and then R2. Afaik that's how it worked in Ps4 Spider-Man.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I did my first playthrough on Fidelity mode and am nearly done with NG+ on Performance mode.

Performance is definitely the way to go IMO, I regret not doing it sooner. The only graphical difference that I can notice is the lack of ray tracing reflection stuff. But the way I see it, if you're slowly walking around on the sidewalk staring at reflections in puddles and storefront windows, you're playing the game wrong tbh. This is Spider-Man - it's all about swinging through the city as fast as you can, and beating up groups of bad guys, and 60fps is a huge benefit to both.

You can do both. Just because you're Spiderman doesn't mean you literally have to swing around 24/7. I'd recommend people do set aside 30-40 minutes just running around the city on foot, especially if you're on fidelity mode. If you just swing the entire time you completely bypass all the details and features packed into the street level. A lot of the main missions also look far better in fidelity mode, and in the few slow walk sections there's really no benefit in the 60fps mode either. There's definitely merit in switching between both modes.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
You can do both. Just because you're Spiderman doesn't mean you literally have to swing around 24/7. I'd recommend people do set aside 30-40 minutes just running around the city on foot, especially if you're on fidelity mode. If you just swing the entire time you completely bypass all the details and features packed into the street level. A lot of the main missions also look far better in fidelity mode, and in the few slow walk sections there's really no benefit in the 60fps mode either. There's definitely merit in switching between both modes.

Yep. Honestly I loved the fidelity mode just for all the effects, but this game is a raytracing showpiece. Some of those main missions look incredible.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
This might be the first open world game that I ever 100% complete, collectibles and all. Story mode is the perfect length for me, and taking on groups of baddies with Venom powers doesn't get old at all.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I am pretty sure that Miles Morales and Spider-Man Remastered are identical visuals wise other than some seasonal change aesthetics, but I could be wrong.

If you've never played Spidey 2018 before, at least do the main campaign in Spidey Remastered first IMO.
Yeah I would say one isn't a total leap above the other but I do feel like miles morales looks slightly better visually but also has way more going on in the background since my guess is it was built to take advantage of the cpu and ssd more than the original.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Been exploring the city for a bit and wanted to climb the Chrysler building only to find...it's not there? Weird that they apparently didn't get the license for it, it was there in the first game.

I've been going back and forth between performance and fidelity a bit but as nice as the RT reflections are, playing a game like this in 60fps feels more "next-gen" to me. It's incredible. Almost tempts me to give in and replace the first game with the remastered version after all.

firstadopter

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the Ultimate edition. Is it ok to Miles first and then the original game, plot spoiler wise? Or is it MUCH better to play the original game first story wise. I kinda want to play Miles first. Thanks.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through it now in Fidelity mode, it looks so damn good.

One thing I noticed during QTEs is that in scenarios where using the tension triggers instead would be the move, it resorts to basic ol' button mashing. I wonder when we'll see usage of the triggers during QTEs going forward.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Got the spider verse suit.

Swinging around at 60 fps with the spider verse mode and the spider verse soundtrack in the background is *chef's kiss*.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Damn. If I miss a cache in a base, am I fucked? I didn't see it when I went through it. Now I can't get back inside. 😭

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the Ultimate edition. Is it ok to Miles first and then the original game, plot spoiler wise? Or is it MUCH better to play the original game first story wise. I kinda want to play Miles first. Thanks.
Is it okay? Yes. Miles story is mostly stand alone. Should you? Nah. The main game is great and really sets up the world, who Miles is, and some background on his family. You'll get more out of it playing the main one first.

I can't say enough how great this was to be Miles though. Just started NG+ and that info as him walking around and the music playing just makes me so happy. Hope we get more.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Oh god, I switched to 60fps mode for the first time since starting the game and it feels infinitely better. I went back to the RT mode and it felt like I was playing in molasses.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it.

Why did this make me cry? I spent the last 10 minutes of the game fighting back tears. It made me feel proud of my blackness in a way that I don't think a game has done before.

As for the final fight
I think Phin was irredeemable by this point since she was beyond listening to rational thought. I guess that's why her death didn't bother me that much.

I hope we eventually get a Venom game made in this style.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Just played through the intro. Game looks fantastic and the animations in particular are amazing. I am sure Spider-man 2 will look considerably better visually, but this definitely looks quite a bit above the original game on PS5.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Finally booted up the game.

This really needs to take advantage of the Adaptive+Haptics

Even if its just a quick patch for the Swinging around the city

edit: oh interestinggg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game, i really enjoyed it! i wanted more, i wish it was a little longer.
I played all in performance mode, except when playing with Miles that i changed to visuals, it's totally worth it to have better visuals when you just need to walk.

As someone who speaks spanish i'm disappointed about how bad miles pronounce some words, even "gracias" he doesn't say the final "s", her mother does it perfectly. (I think he's not suppose to be native speaker, but still ...)

about the post credit scenes:
is it harry Osborne with venom on him? I don't quite remember from spiderman 1

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Question—sorry if it's been beaten to death.

I want to play Miles Morales. Thing is, I want to play the Spider-Man remaster first. Is there an option to purchase just the upgrade (as in, a patch of sorts) rather than having to DL the entire game digitally? I already own the PS4 physical release and if I could apply the PS5 benefits retroactively to my existing game, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Finally beat the game and got all the trophies I can get pre-new game plus. I had a blast with it, I do think gameplay wise it's better than the original. I do think Insomniac needs to find more fun things for Spider-Men to do when they aren't swinging, fighting, or chasing something. I hated the forced stealth and puzzles in the first game, and this game had a few kinda middling puzzles, but mostly just fighting and walking in missions. Gameplay loop is fantastic, I just worry a third entry needs something new.

I know this will be a hot take, but I enjoyed this telling of the Prowler story more than Spiderverse, and I think the reason for that that I really didn't enjoy having half the characters in the movie be comic relief characters. This game has a great balance of telling a touching and sweet story while still understanding it's a comic book story about a guy who climbs on walls. I loved the relationship between Miles and his mom, I just wish we got some more of them together like that family dinner scene.

Post-credit scene was MCU quality and I am so excited for the future. I'm also excited to see a Miles and Peter vs. Symbiote story. Should be awesome.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Going the ultimate route with Norman and Harry seems likea good idea to have both stand out.

I think Gwen for sure shows up in Spiderman 2.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
This game definitely feels on a whole glitchier and less stable than the original, but it's been a while since I played through the first. I think I felt roughly similar for the DLC chapters of the first as well. Still very well made though.