• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone confused about Gwenpool, she originated as a Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen parody character, that's why they have the same name and look similar, but she's a distinct character now.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I don't blame anyone if they don't realize it's not Gwen Stacy.

That said, it wouldn't surprise if they start to make an effort to give Gwenpool more of a unique identity.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, the "Different people can have the same name!!!" people can cool it a little, since the character literally did start as Gwen Stacy and did not significantly change visually. That's a bit different from "You mean there's more than one Ben? GOSH :O"

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The only reason I never thought it was Gwen Stacy was because of Spider Gwen.

It really doesn't help that for Marvel's Rising animated series they gave Gwen Stacy Gwen Poole's hair

sub-buzz-24811-1512583592-1.png

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people ever get confused by all of the Peters that Marvel has accumulated over the years.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
For everyone confused about Gwenpool, she originated as a Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen parody character, that's why they have the same name and look similar, but she's a distinct character now.
No wonder. When Spidergwen became popular is when I started seeing Gwenpool too.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
User warned: inappropriate and objectifying comment
Williams has really blown up. Used to talk to her on Twitter all the time. Good for her.

AND THOSE TIDDIES

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Glad she's gonna get another solo, even if it's only 5 issues. Great character.

Is West Coast Avengers still running? I'm on Marvel Unlimited, plus I'm still about 2 months behind that, so overall I'm about 8 months behind on what's going on in Marvel comics.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
the fact that everyone thinks she's gwen stacy shows how good the marvel comics part of the company is at marketing...

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
the fact that everyone thinks she's gwen stacy shows how good the marvel comics part of the company is at marketing...
Shouldn't have named her "Gwen". In Marvel, most people identify that name with Gwen Stacy. Second, shouldn't have made her blonde. That would be having a red-head character Mary Jane Patterson. Sure, "Gwen" is a name, and multiply people could have that, as well as, well, "Mary Jane", but when it comes to comic familiarity... c'mon! It could've been any name, though if we are going for something that sounds similar... Jennifer Poole/Jenpool.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
For clarification for the "I thought she was Gwen Stacy" crowd. In 2015, Marvel created Spider-Gwen to a lot of fanfare. She exploded in popularity to the point where Marvel decided to release "Gwen Stacy-themed" variant covers for a variety of their comic books. One of these ended up being for Deadpool:

deadpools-secret-secret-war-2-gwenpool.jpg

Much like Spider-Gwen, this off-shoot character ended up becoming really popular in cosplay to the point where Marvel decided to canonize her as an official character as well.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
For clarification for the "I thought she was Gwen Stacy" crowd. In 2015, Marvel created Spider-Gwen to a lot of fanfare. She exploded in popularity to the point where Marvel decided to release "Gwen Stacy-themed" variant covers for a variety of their comic books. One of these ended up being for Deadpool:

Much like Spider-Gwen, this off-shoot character ended up becoming really popular in cosplay to the point where Marvel decided to canonize her as an official character as well.

so she is (alternate reality) gwen stacy...? Because thats what I was always thought, knew she was somehow linked to spider-gwen

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I never got to Gwen Poole.
Because I thought she's just Gwen stacy in deadpool and I'm readi Spider-Gwen already.

Also she looks like a henchman/henchwoman from the Hand

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I always just assumed this was an alt-universe Gwen Stacy. I mean it's not like Gwen is a super common name in 2019 and she looks just like Gwen Stacy (and apparently it's based on a variant cover OF Gwen Stacy) and there's another character called Spider-Gwen who is an alt-universe universe Gwen Stacy-as-Spider-Man so it would make sense that the other character who's name is a mashup of Deadpool and Gwen is a similar alt-universe Gwen Stacy (especially since, again, she looks just like Gwen Stacy and even has a similar color scheme in her costume).

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
I love this moment and issue. People might expect Deadpool and Gwenpool finally meeting to be this hilarious romp. But instead it ends up being pretty harrowing and dark. Deadpool reminds everyone that he's a legitimate threat as a veteran mercenary with real super powers, while Gwen is just a regular gal with some fighting experience who is completely out of her element.

I hope this new writer keeps the serious and sincere elements of Gwen Poole's character and story, as they were probably my favorite part of the original series. Everyone seriously needs to read the Christopher Hastings/Gurihiru run; it's secretly one of the best comics Marvel has done in the past few years.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can you really blame people for thinking Gwenpool was another alternate version of Gwen stacy?
I can't. I did, too. However, if I entered a thread that explicitly stated "Gwendolyn 'Gwen' Poole is a comic book fan from the real world, who got into the Marvel Universe" in the OP, I wouldn't exactly respond with "I'm so confused. Gwen as in Gwen Stacy?"

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The artstyle is what initially drew me to the comic, but if this new one has similar writing then i'll be fine.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Take 2 minutes to start reading it and it's not confusing in any way. There's a Peter Parker and a Peter Quill and that's not confusing.

I mean, if they looked almost identical and their comics were called Peterman and Peterlord, I think there'd be a bit more confusion.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Hey guys this entire thread is full of people asking who this character is and other people clarifying.

So with that being said, I just want to ask, is this supposed to be Gwen Stacy?!"

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
"Hey guys this entire thread is full of people asking who this character is and other people clarifying.

So with that being said, I just want to ask, is this supposed to be Gwen Stacy?!"

That's a good question. I mean, she IS blonde and Gwen Stacy DOES have the superpower to break the fourth wall.

Nov 30, 2017
I was curious to who this Gwen Pool was when the comic first came out as I also thought she was Gwen Stacy.

But a 2 minute google search taught me everything.

It's funny how people have more time to make a statement, and rather argue for hours on end who they thought she was and justify it as if it really matters, than to just do a simple google search and move onto something else.

Google is your friend people.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Marvel keeps doing these five issue series. I want a Gwenpool ongoing. And a Silver Surfer ongoing. And a Cosmic Ghost Rider ongoing.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia

Exactly! The whole point of Gwenpool is that she's a parody of Spider-Gwen. People who don't know are supposed to think they're the same character - that's the joke.

You're supposed to not know who she is. You're supposed to think she's Gwen Stacy. Her costume it's supposed to be shitty.

This is why Gwenpool is glorious, and this thread is all according to keikaku.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't ever do a pull list, I usually read comics months after they release. I prefer to wait until whole stories or series are finished before I go read them.

I am absolutely going to read the new Gwenpool series monthly as it comes out.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel keeps doing these five issue series. I want a Gwenpool ongoing. And a Silver Surfer ongoing. And a Cosmic Ghost Rider ongoing.

Honestly, I'm happy that they set the expectation beforehand. It was pretty upsetting when they cancelled West Coast Avengers after 10 issues, when the creative team apparently had a much longer run mapped out. If five issues minis keep some of these characters alive (not that Surfer is going anywhere), I'm all for it.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the confusion I'm seeing here what Marvel had in mind for a -Pool like character in general.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Best meta-narrative work since Morrison Animal Man.

I need a nice big omnibus Marvel, stop wasting pages on random shitty covers omnibuses.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I just finished reading Unbelievable Gwenpool, and was deeply dissapointed to find out it was cancelled, so I'm excited for this!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I ain't read it but I've seen most of it reposted on various Reddit pages.

I like this one:

31e34fc4de366a621d700021a9a96a82._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love this moment and issue. People might expect Deadpool and Gwenpool finally meeting to be this hilarious romp. But instead it ends up being pretty harrowing and dark. Deadpool reminds everyone that he's a legitimate threat as a veteran mercenary with real super powers, while Gwen is just a regular gal with some fighting experience who is completely out of her element.
Also I love how it turned out that Gwen was never a fan of Deadpool's comics :v
She never read them in the real world.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm bummed at the lack of Gurihiru too, but David Baldeon is a fantastic replacement. Anyone who has been reading the Domino books will know he's a phenomenal artist who has a zany, expressive style that will definitely work great for Gwenpool.

david-baldeon-domino-004-011.jpg
Domino7.1.jpg
Domino7.2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are all these pages posted on page 1 from the Chris Hashtings run?
Most of them are very far into the run, hopefully without context they are not spoiler-y.

The artstyle is what initially drew me to the comic, but if this new one has similar writing then i'll be fine.
Have you check out Gurihiru's other projects at Marvel?
Power Pack is very good, and all-ages :D
tumblr_m61jybaObJ1rycc0so1_1280.jpg

This one written by the person who is also doing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for Switch, Marc Sumerak.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I received a warning for my big tiddy comment. To the mod who gave me this warning: please do a bit of homework on the subject matter at hand before giving out warnings. Big dick energy/big tiddy energy is a key part of the Williams ethos. I was not objectifying her, lol. Jesus.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This news makes me very happy.
I picked up Gwenpool when her initial series launched out of morbid curiousity, having only heard of the character. I figured it would not be... good.
How wrong I was, absolutely loved the character and her story, and she's easily one of my favourites.