• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
As long as they don't cg him, which I am 100 percent sure Feige would not do, then I am okay with whatever they decide to do and I expect them to handle this delicately

Personally I am hoping for a recast. The character is so important for so many people

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Just bring in someone from the multiverse" is the cheapest way to tell a story you can possibly go, though. Like you have all these characters who already exist and you skip all of them to make up a magical alternate universe duplicate of a villain, for what reason?

Right? How does it make sense to not go with Okoye, Shuri, or just straight recasting him, but somehow a multiverse version of Killmonger is what should be done?

The people who keep saying "Just make Shuri do it, because she did in the comics" strike me as weird. MCU Shuri isn't comics Shuri. Given where MCU Shuri is as a character and her role thus far her suddenly jumping into the role of BP (even though she made a joke about it in the movie) seems weird. She was mostly in support as a scientist, not a fighter. I don't even think she could best the average Dora MIlaje, let alone Okoye. There are other older female characters they could go with. Hell, they could introduce a whole new character.

Y'all act like she can't train or something

She has the best mind in the MCU. And she'll have, or will replicate, the abilities that the Black Panther posseses. The suit alone is amazing. Okoye is the best warrior in Wakanda as well, and could easily train her. Between all that, the implication that it'd be near impossible to make Shuri a believable formidable fighter makes no sense. It ain't that hard to figure out.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I really do think they should re-cast him. I think its important for the character to continue. I think they are between a rock and a hard place cause I can think of reasons why they should recast / "move-on". But glad they aren't doing the CGI route.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
"Just bring in someone from the multiverse" is the cheapest way to tell a story you can possibly go, though. Like you have all these characters who already exist and you skip all of them to make up a magical alternate universe duplicate of a villain, for what reason?
Because the T'Challa character played by Boseman should not be replaced. It's too iconic. No one would be able to measure up and would always be compared to Boseman. Besides, no other character in the story has been built up to replace him so far, so it would be far easier to replace him with another actor in the same role from another universe. Would it be cheap? Maybe, but it would be much easier to explain from a continuity standpoint.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm glad the suits at Disney don't gaf what Era thinks, all these calls to just recast him. Cold ass people in here. Let Shuri take the mantle up. The meaning and idea of Black Panther isn't tied to T'Challa, did y'all even watch the first movie??

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the suits at Disney don't gaf what Era thinks, all these calls to just recast him. Cold ass people in here. Let Shuri take the mantle up. The meaning and idea of Black Panther isn't tied to T'Challa, did y'all even watch the first movie??

Why not go the extra mile and cancel the second movie/character? Obviously no one can fill the role.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If they're going ahead with production this quickly it's certainly pointing to a recast, since if they were reimagining the entire movie due to Boseman's death it seems like it'd take much longer than that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It is true though that a SECOND movie of "character grieving an important loss in their family has to become the new Black Panther and rule of Wakanda" in a row would feel pretty rote. Obviously Coogler is talented enough to be able to find a way to do it, but it would still feel repetitive at its core.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
If they're going ahead with production this quickly it's certainly pointing to a recast, since if they were reimagining the entire movie due to Boseman's death it seems like it'd take much longer than that.
My thought too. The movie was always going to shoot next year, so the fact that that schedule is carrying on must mean they're recasting.

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all act like she can't train or something

She has the best mind in the MCU. And she'll have, or will replicate, the abilities that the Black Panther posseses. The suit alone is amazing. Okoye is the best warrior in Wakanda as well, and could easily train her. Between all that, the implication that it'd be near impossible to make Shuri a believable formidable fighter makes no sense. It ain't that hard to figure out.
I'm just not a fan. It just seems weird. I'd rather a Dora Milaje take up the mantle or something

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shuri shouldn't be the new black panther, if for nothing else, she would get her teeth kicked in during the trial by combat.

Either recast Tchalla or have okoye or M'Baku be the new one.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
July is coming up quick. That sounds like a recast is in the cards with rewrites for Shuri or Okoye leading into BP III/Young Avengers.

Oct 26, 2017
Just delay the movie. They need at least another year or two to figure out how they want to move forward while honoring Chadwick.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

How are people being cold by suggesting/making peace with the possibility of recasting? Weird assumption to make.

And if anything, those "suits" are the most likely to be cold about all this

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It is true though that a SECOND movie of "character grieving an important loss in their family has to become the new Black Panther and rule of Wakanda" in a row would feel pretty rote. Obviously Coogler is talented enough to be able to find a way to do it, but it would still feel repetitive at its core.

I don't agree at all because the circumstances are unique and extreme. No one is going to dare call it "rote" come on now

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recast hopefully. The character is too important to die with Chadwick. Young black boys need that role model.
This. It's fucking nuts that people just want the character to disappear.

Boseman did a great job, but the character existed before him, and it should exist after him.

Reminds me of when Andy Whitfield got cancer and knew he couldn't continue with Spartacus. He gave his blessing before he died for someone else to play the character because he said the story was too important to not be told.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be astonished if a recast was ever on the cards.

They really do have to steer into the skid on this one- this movie needs to, on some thematic level, be about the difficulty of continuing when the star of the show is no longer with us, or else it runs the risk of leaving the audience behind.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure that's really true? I feel like between Killmonger usurping the throne, neither Shuri or Nakia taking the heart-shaped herb, and M'Baku passing on it in favor of T'Challa, I'd say the movie was more leaning in the "T'Challa is the one true king" direction than a Spider-Verse style "anyone can wear the mask."

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just not a fan. It just seems weird. I'd rather a Dora Milaje take up the mantle or something

Frankly it'd be weird to me to not have a family member end up as the Black Panther. Like even in the scenario where Okoye took over for a bit, I would still expect her to eventually hand it off to Shuri.

I mean, don't get me wrong, they certainly have the opportunity to do some bold shit and go all in on Okoye or something. I just don't see it happening is all. Feels like the long term plan was gonna find a way to hand it off to Shuri one way or another.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not ready yet. However, if they do decide to do it, they should go ahead and recast. You can do that and still move the plot forward with a new BP if they want to use
Shuri

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly it'd be weird to me to not have a family member end up as the Black Panther. Like even in the scenario where Okoye took over for a bit, I would still expect her to eventually hand it off to Shuri.

I mean, don't get me wrong, they certainly have the opportunity to do some bold shit and go all in on Okoye or something. I just don't see it happening is all. Feels like the long term plan was gonna find a way to hand it off to Shuri one way or another.
I wonder if the sequel will address the Infinity War -> Endgame gap, because presumably either Okoye or M'Baku were ruling Wakanda during that time? Both T'Challa and Shuri were dead those five years.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The only way I can see a recast happening is if they go an alternate universe TChalla. Aside from that, I think they just keep it within the cast for someone to take up the name.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Even if you argue it can't be okoye because she only serves the throne and wouldn't want to be the panther, Nakia is still better suited for the direct combat role that was expected of the Black panther.

In BP when the Queen mother and Shuri are there discussing what they should do with the herb, they literally say to Nakia she should be the one to take the herb rather than give it to M'Baku and the thought that Shuri would do so doesn't even enter in to the equation.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the sequel will address the Infinity War -> Endgame gap, because presumably either Okoye or M'Baku were ruling Wakanda during that time? Both T'Challa and Shuri were dead those five years.

That might've been a interesting plotline if not for the fact that both Okoye and M'Baku would gladly let him rule again lol

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its still fucking surreal that Chadwick is gone. I don't envy the people who have to make the decisions about this film because no matter what they do they are going to lose here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I find the notion of "just get it over with and recast him" kind of callous tbh, even if I know that's not people's intention.

If it were a simple a/b choice of recast or end the film series, recasting would be the better option, but there are plenty of more interesting choices that can in my opinion honour Chadwick's legacy more. To see someone else take up the mantel, inspired by T'Chala, would be much more respectful than just hiring another actor that kinda looks like him and pretending nothing happened.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
They have to recast T'Challa eventually. They may not be interested in doing it for Black Panther 2 given the circumstances, but it has to happen. T'Challa is just too integral to BP/Marvel lore for it not to happen. The comic book material doesn't allow for him to be just written out. Even with the Shuri being Black Panther part wouldn't make sense given the way that story is told in the comics.

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
Personally as much as I love Chadwick and each of his performances I think the character needs to be recast.
He's too important to be disappeared so early in his run when there is a lot of room for the character to progress.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I didn't think of this. Yeah, have it be Okoye. Shit would be awesome.

I just really don't want a recast or this "multiverse Killmonger" nonsense.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you argue it can't be okoye because she only serves the throne and wouldn't want to be the panther, Nakia is still better suited for the direct combat role that was expected of the Black panther.

In BP when the Queen mother and Shuri are there discussing what they should do with the herb, they literally say to Nakia she should be the one to take the herb rather than give it to M'Baku and the thought that Shuri would do so doesn't even enter in to the equation.

I don't want Nakia. To be frank, it makes no sense to me to have her be BP over the two more prominent Wakandans in the MCU. Maybe if she wasn't absent for both Infinity War and Endgame I'd feel differently.

Also in-universe, Okoye is the superior warrior, and I doubt she'd want to get in the way of tradition where Shuri would be next in line. Even then, we already have M'Baku as a character that's already shown a desire for the throne. Nakia on the other hand isn't interested in all that.

So yea, I'd pick one of those 3 characters before picking her if I had to choose.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how the internet would be like when they recasted Bond, Supes or Batman for the first time.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The quick turn around makes me think they are going to recast. I think that would be the best move, even though it's incredibly sad

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the best option would basically be a reflection of this very thread. Who should be the next Black Panther? What does being the Black Panther mean, not just to the person wearing the suit but also to the world/audience?

So you'd have a story where Shuri, Okoye, M'Baku, and Nakia are all trying to honor the man and the mantle.

BLACK PANTHER 2...and then the "2" flips to an "S".

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they include some sort of minutes long tribute to him, maybe in the credits or something.
I did say before the best way to show the impact of Chadwick, T'Challa and BP would be to have a pre-Marvel ident documentary montage covering the death of the King of Wakanda after a sudden illness. Use that time to cover his accomplishments and have some real life reactions about what Chadwick meant to people. Let black people tell what Boseman meant to them before cutting to an empty throne.

The next movie will be about multiple Black Panthers and which of them can be the successor Wakanda needs for the future. With no Heart Shaped Herb they will need to show their own bravery.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As much as killing him off screen would suck, I think recasting him would be worse. Maybe do something where you see him in his suit doing something heroic for his people and passing away, but I feel like recasting him would be rougher.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the best option would basically be a reflection of this very thread. Who should be the next Black Panther? What does being the Black Panther mean, not just to the person wearing the suit but also to the world/audience?

So you'd have a story where Shuri, Okoye, M'Baku, and Nakia are all trying to honor the man and the mantle.

BLACK PANTHER 2...and then the "2" flips to an "S".
Having multiple people running around as Black Panther would destroy the mystique of what it means to be Black Panther. Imagine a movie where you had three or four people all being Captain America. Gross.