• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see anything that couldn't be done in a base PS4, honestly. It's kinda of a clickbaity title for Digital Foundry standards lol

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Tonie Stork lmao

The Avongers looking good

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The character models are so bad it kind of makes us forget how good it looks tbh

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Wow people are really so down on these designs that they're pretending the tech is bad.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What genuinely impressed me was Thor's cape. It seems to be very high polygon, moves very realistically and smoothely and in many folds.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I thought the game looked really impressive, I'm surprised to see so many people saying it looks like trash.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait people think the character models are ugly? I know they don't like the design but they don't look bad on a technical level. Close ups of them look great imo

Fastrun

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone doubted it? Nothing about the trailer was impressive
I was in doubt. Graphically the trailer looks incredible.
iwl36evxxk1k.gif

It looked in-engine, so I'm not surprised

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
People seem to be confusing how a character looks(style) with the actual modeling(tech).

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I mean the hair looks like garbage, so I assume it's real-time.
It is technically not at all garbage - say what you will about how it stylistically looks, but it is just as cutting edge as your uncharted 4's or any console game really for that matter.
People seem to be confusing how a character looks(style) with the actual modeling(tech).

I think that sums up the entire reaction to the trailer from my perspetive, which I tried to separate out with levity in the video!

Last edited:

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how Cap is actually very MCU in appearance in the thumbnail. It's like they designed around that that

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it could be prerendered using in game assets, at least portions of it. That's not all that uncommon these days, no?

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Doesn't look very far from what Shadow of the Tomb Raider shown so it may be in-game graphics.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Look, I get that people are unhappy with the choices made for the looks of the Avengers, but from a technical perspective this is absolute top-notch

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the reactions to the trailer were always weird to me, sure the character faces are not memorable, but technically the game graphics are of a very high quality.
Look, I get that people are unhappy with the choices made for the looks of the Avengers, but from a technical perspective this is absolute top-notch
exactly.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Jim Sterling made a good poont that it looks so cheap like a knockoff because they went for the same visual style as the movies, so instant comparisons are made. If they went for another art style like more cartoony, people wouldn't complain.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
From what I heard of people that saw the actual demo it's a lot of QTE-style crap, so the reason it looks so "unreal" is because it's basically got a David Cage style intro mission and then after that it probably becomes a generic Shared World MMO-lite kind of game like Destiny or Anthem.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I can't believe you had people seriously thinking the game looked like it was last gen or worse a mobile game. Goes to show how blind outrage can make a person

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Jim Sterling made a good poont that it looks so cheap like a knockoff because they went for the same visual style as the movies, so instant comparisons are made. If they went for another art style like more cartoony, people wouldn't complain.
if they went for more cartoony they wouldnt get the main targeted crowd, which is all fans of the movies, and that is a huge crowd. many people just dont care about games/movies if they are too cartoony and "childish looking", so the decision to go for movie art style makes a lot of sense overall.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Looks aight. If they went with an art direction that was more divorced(not necessarily more cartoony) from the MCU it would be more apparently impressive.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the game looked pretty bland, even if the technical stuff was impressive.

I'm sure they just wanted to go with basic 'MCU-styled' heroes for the reveal, but I hope the customization stuff branches out and allows for more interesting designs. From what we've seen so far I'm not holding out a ton of hope.

The rad thing about comics is the wide variety of visual differences between runs/ artists. If they could take the same idea and apply it to the customization items it could go a long way in both making everyone's Thor or whoever feel different and making the game look quite a bit different through the characters. They could go a step further and include some unlockable shaders to change the look of the world, but this would be more of a small fun thing than anything impactful.

The game just feels early. I hope some of these fears are quelled before we get too close to release.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This is simply dishonest.
First of all, it's my opinion. You can't say me being not impressed is dishonest.
Sure, it looks good, but between that and impressive there's a long way. We're nearing the end of this gen, and outside of the clearly pre-rendered (although in-engine) scenes, everything looks completely doable on our current gen consoles.

Some people here are putting words into my mouth like me saying it looks like trash or bad while all I said was it's not impressive. For me, impressive means I say "wow" when I look at a game and actually wonder if it's gameplay or not.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. Faces and hair aside I think the visuals look great - and even then there are moments (like with Tony Stark with his hair grown out nearer to the end of the trailer) where the visuals are really convincing.

The faces don't look mediocre though.

I think they do. The elements might be there but I don't think it comes together in a convincing way.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Technically, the faces and hair look good. It's just that people are comparing them to their MCU counterparts.
I'm speaking technically. The faces especially look stiff and plastic-like. There was some weird blur going on with the faces as well during some moments, but I'll chalk that up to compression.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On a technical level it's a very impressive looking game.
Regarding the art direction though it couldn't be any blander. They are obviously going for the MCU aesthetic, but couldn't get the rights for any of the actors, making it look like a cheap knock-off without it's own identity.

I think that's why many of us think it looks horrendous.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is something off about the game, and im not talking about the character models.

Im talking camera-off. It seems like the Characters are brighter than the background so it make a contrast, i can't quite put it into word but it just seems off, something missing, like the characters are out of bound from the background

Maybe it's just me