• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Explains why no crossplay too. Cant have an exclusive character swinging around on other platforms.

Game looks incredibly trash anyway and based off beta impressions plays like it too.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
From the IGN article:

Hopefully this puts an end to theories that Sony might have some sort or ownership over the character for gaming.

I think they just don't know how to handle this situation. It's possible that they expected an enthusiastic response and they were caught of guard by the blowback.

I am happy to see that people, including industry figures, are openly critical of such deals. It means that the negative reactions were strong enough to be heard.

You don't need to own an IP to have some soft of exclusivity rights for that property. Licence deals can contain all sorts of agreements.

Jun 23, 2019
Because Spiderman is one of the biggest characters in all of pop-culture and excluding him from over half the player base is shitting directly on your target audience regardless of if it's 'good business'. The outrage is well deserved, this is the most egregious exclusivity deal in gaming, nothing else really comes remotely close.

But be sure to go see Avengers Endgame in theaters this weekend! *spiderman scenes exclusive to AMC theaters

You've got to be kidding. This is nowhere near the most egregious exclusivity deal in gaming and to believe so is to ignore deals that actually were in order to prop up outrage over what amounts to a DLC side character with no relation to the main story. Your example is o

LOL Big oof.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It'll likely be like the other dlc characters where he gets his own separate small story line and missions. If these are going to be worthwhile or not remains to be seen.
They said that his small story won't have any impact because of the implications of the DLC.
If one version has less content than another, I should not pay the same price for that lesser version. That's the very definition of entitlement.
But you're not getting less content because it's not in the base game. It's DLC. The $60 you're paying for this game is paying for all of the base game, and all of the content coming after that Crystal Dynamics is giving you.

Sony paid Crystal to do this for them, so it's not you getting shorted on what you pay for, it's Sony ponying up extra cash to get their consumers more. There's a big difference.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
But you're not getting less content because it's not in the base game. It's DLC. The $60 you're paying for this game is paying for all of the base game, and all of the content coming after that Crystal Dynamics is giving you.

You're trying to PR spin people into believing less content isn't less content... do you work for Crystal Dynamics or something?

Same Price + One version gets more content = less content for all other versions and same price.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
What? This messaging from Crystal Dynamic is terrible, and should be called out as such. Dunno why you're trying to turn it into a console war narrative.

Its an exclusive character being on one platform being compared to a comment telling people to buy an Xbox 360 if they didn't like the proposed policies of the Xbox One. It seems like it is trying to stir the pot further when it isn't even close to being as serious, its a DLC character coming next year.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Do you read your own posts? It's clearly not 'all of the content coming after that'.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Sony has a relationship with Marvel, influence, and leverage, but not "rights" to him for video games.

Their PR was to explain this was always going to be intentioanly muddy and worthless.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) Excessive hostility. Previous infractions for hostility.
You've got to be kidding. This is nowhere near the most egregious exclusivity deal in gaming and to believe so is to ignore deals that actually were
Like..?

in order to prop up outrage over what amounts to a DLC side character with no relation to the main story.

Ah yes the "Spiderman is just a minor side character" strategy, no one really cares about the playing as the most popular marvel character, foolish me. I wonder how those corpo boots taste.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to see that they're saying this didn't affect their cross-play plans. I wonder if down the line they might implement it, and people on other platforms will be able to at least see Spider-Man in action.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm big red flag right there

Hopefully those are optional/sidequests and not main campaign - I don't plan to play MP at all with this....

its the first few points here. Its end game content but im not sure if that means it has absolutely no story at all

www.resetera.com

New details from Marvel's Avengers (Reddit AMA summary)

CD recently did an AMA on reddit for this game, and I thought it would be a good idea to try and summarize everything they talked about. "Few select end game content types" are co-op/online only and can't be played solo/with AI companions Raid like missions won't be there at launch but we'll...

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
its the first few points here. Its end game content but im not sure if that means it has absolutely no story at all

www.resetera.com

New details from Marvel's Avengers (Reddit AMA summary)

CD recently did an AMA on reddit for this game, and I thought it would be a good idea to try and summarize everything they talked about. "Few select end game content types" are co-op/online only and can't be played solo/with AI companions Raid like missions won't be there at launch but we'll...

Ahh they wouldn't make it mandatory for story hopefully 😂

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Its an exclusive character being on one platform being compared to a comment telling people to buy an Xbox 360 if they didn't like the proposed policies of the Xbox One. It seems like it is trying to stir the pot further when it isn't even close to being as serious, its a DLC character coming next year.
Look at it from a PC gamer's perspective and you'll understand the similarities. :p

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It's colossally bad corporate messaging. Please stop viewing everything through a juvenile console war mentality, it's detrimental to meaningful discussion.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So much corporate bootlicking. Holy shit.

I think they just don't know how to handle this situation. It's possible that they expected an enthusiastic response and they were caught of guard by the blowback.

They clearly don't, but they're naive as hell if they thought locking Spidey to one platform wasn't gonna cause an immense shit storm. He's not some irrelevant D-lister.

Jun 23, 2019
Like..?

Ah yes the "Spiderman is just a minor side character" strategy, no one really cares about the playing as the most popular marvel character, foolish me. I wonder how those corpo boots taste.

Yeah this is going to be the last response to you as you seem to not be able to discuss this like an adult without resorting to childish insults. Also, let's not forget MS just recently paid for Yakuza 7 to not appear on PS5 at launch and also paid CD to take a million selling multiplatform series and make the sequel exclusive to Xbox One in Rise of the Tomb Raider, just to name a few. Calling someone a bootlicker though? Yeah, ignored.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
You're trying to PR spin people into believing less content isn't less content... do you work for Crystal Dynamics or something?

Same Price + One version gets more content = less content for all other versions and same price.
They weren't planning on including Spider-Man until Sony came along, so yes, as far as content goes that's still true. He's like a bonus character in a fighting game. Y'all really buggin over something sooooo minuscule in the grand scheme of this game.
Do you read your own posts? It's clearly not 'all of the content coming after that'.
Maybe I should've said all the content they planned on giving you. Because Spider-Man wasn't even an option until Sony came along.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is going to be the last response to you as you seem to not be able to discuss this like an adult without resorting to childish insults. Also, let's not forget MS just recently paid for Yakuza 7 to not appear on PS5 at launch and also paid CD to take a million selling multiplatform series and make the sequel exclusive to Xbox One in Rise of the Tomb Raider, just to name a few. Calling someone a bootlicker though? Yeah, ignored.

While those examples are unfortunate, those games both released on other consoles. They're not content locked into one console forever, which this is.

rustyra24

Jul 6, 2018

Yakuza 7 - is a timed exclusive so Playstation will get it eventually.

Microsoft paid for some development costs on Rise of the Tomb Raider so its more like a Bayonetta 2 situation. It might not have existed without Microsoft's help.

The closest comparison is Soulcalibur extra characters but everyone received a different character so it seemed fair but nobody cared back then.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Those aren't even remotely in the same ballpark considering both of those games will (and have) made it to every platform, nice attempt though.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They weren't planning on including Spider-Man until Sony came along, so yes, as far as content goes that's still true. He's like a bonus character in a fighting game. Y'all really buggin over something sooooo minuscule in the grand scheme.
If this were true (I've seen nothing to suggest it) then PlayStation players are missing out too, since he'll be there but can't effect the story in any meaningful way.

Yakuza 7 - is a timed exclusive so Playstation will get it eventually.

Microsoft paid for some development costs on Rise of the Tomb Raider so its more like a Bayonetta 2 situation. It might not have existed without Microsoft's help.

The closest comparison is Soulcalibur extra characters but everyone received a different character so it seemed fair but nobody cared back then.
Pretty revisionist here because they had already announced "untitled Tomb Raider sequel" as a multiplatform game prior to the exclusivity announcement.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is getting unnecessarily blown out of proportion. For a game who's metrics were were never hot to begin with.

Exclusive deals come in many different forms and for some reason people pick and choose which one they want to get outraged from.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
They weren't planning on including Spider-Man until Sony came along, so yes, as far as content goes that's still true. He's like a bonus character in a fighting game. Y'all really buggin over something sooooo minuscule in the grand scheme of this game.

Maybe I should've said all the content they planned on giving you. Because Spider-Man wasn't even an option until Sony came along.

Imagine thinking the most popular Marvel character wasn't gonna be in the game unless Sony paid them.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Quick edits. Yakuza 7 will be playable on PS5 through back compat. Rise of the tomb raider was a timed exclusive, not an eternal exclusive. And PlayStation paid off From to make a Dark Souls 4 be completely and utterly exclusive - a series that has been advertised on multiple E3s for Microsoft. Even Elden Ring was shown off at MS.

I really don't think the ball swings that far into Microsoft's direction in the past 7 years in terms of gross exclusive deals. Even if there were, they were either timed or available on pc later.

I personally think they should lower the price of the steam version and the Xbox versions. That should be the cost of doing this deal. You can't devalue other versions, collect on the Sony deal, and still charge the other platforms the base price. It's a bad look

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Fc7aIk1.png

Same energy

And still people are in here saying "but in the comics, spidey's not really an Avenger". They clearly aren't choosing these characters based on comic canon, and there's zero chance that Spidey wouldn't have been in this game if Sony hadn't pulled out their wallet.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
If this were true (I've seen nothing to suggest it) then PlayStation players are missing out too, since he'll be there but can't effect the story in any meaningful way.
They said so themselves. We've been talking about this since the beginning but it keeps getting washed out in all the fluff.
Imagine thinking the most popular Marvel character wasn't gonna be in the game unless Sony paid them.
We've already established that Sony has some control over the IP in gaming, and Crystal came out themselves in that same article and said that they weren't planning on putting him in the game until Sony came along.

Like damn y'all don't read.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

So you're agreeing that it is true that it's less content on other platforms, yet still the same price, right?

You can consider it miniscule if you want, that's your opinion.

As for a fighting game, could I convince you that a version of Marvel v Capcom 4 without Spider-Man is just as fine as a Marvel v Capcom 4 with him? And convince you that you should pay the same price? Would you complain about or be like, 'hey, this is totally fine... it's just a character.'

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Quick edits. Yakuza 7 will be playable on PS5 through back compat. Rise of the tomb raider was a timed exclusive, not an eternal exclusive. And PlayStation paid off From to make a Dark Souls 4 be completely and utterly exclusive - a series that has been advertised on multiple E3s for Microsoft. Even Elden Ring was shown off at MS.

I really don't think the ball swings that far into Microsoft's direction in the past 7 years in terms of gross exclusive deals. Even if there were, they were either timed or available on pc later.

I personally think they should lower the price of the steam version and the Xbox versions. That should be the cost of doing this deal. You can't devalue other versions, collect on the Sony deal, and still charge the other platforms the base price. It's a bad look

What are you talking about, dark souls 4?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Look at it from a PC gamer's perspective and you'll understand the similarities. :p

This has been a practice since the inception of DLC, and it isn't going away. The only thing that changes is who has "dibs" and who has the close work relationship to the gain them based upon brand power of your platform.

Being on PC doesn't somehow exclude people from missing items, characters, missions, or whatever the exclusive content deal entails. This is why I get every major platform each gen.

It's colossally bad corporate messaging. Please stop viewing everything through a juvenile console war mentality, it's detrimental to meaningful discussion.

Comparing it to Don Mattrick's "shot in the foot" comment is the only thing that makes it a console war statement, especially because it has to do with a platform deal. This is no new sort of partnership unseen in the industry, the fact that they have to "message" it is because of entitled consumers hounding at them.

The only thing that is juvenile is how people are getting.... because it is the sacred Spider-Man being locked to a platform. Take that out of the situation and this is any other deal that we see over and over again for the last 15 years or so.

Oct 24, 2019
I believe Sony has a relationship with Marvel, influence, and leverage, but not "rights" to him for video games.

Their PR was to explain this was always going to be intentioanly muddy and worthless.

This is exactly what I think too.

There's no way Sony "owns" part of the entire Spider-Man character. If that were true, why were all the previous Spidey games from Activision multiplat rather than PS3/PS4 exclusives?

The only thing they have is film rights, which they can leverage for some preferential treatment from Marvel/Disney

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
MvC wasn't a AAA GaaS that relies on player engagement over an extended period of time for success. There's no way in hell Spidey wasn't gonna be in this game regardless of whether Sony paid them or not.
But it was equally stupid, damaged that brand, and yet they STILL did it.

I can fully see them being dumb enough to have been originally planning to leave Spider-Man out.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
MvC wasn't a AAA GaaS that relies on player engagement over an extended period of time for success. There's no way in hell Spidey wasn't gonna be in this game regardless of whether Sony paid them or not.
Well it more and more looks like the only reason Spidey is in the game is cos Sony/Marvel allowed it as DLC only. If CD were able to put Spidey front and centre of the main Avengers roster, why wouldn't they? That's leaving money on the table.