• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing Marvel's Avengers on?

• PS4/PS5

Votes: 1,266 41.2%
  • Xbox One/Xbox Series X

Votes: 285 9.3%
  • PC (Steam/Stadia)

Votes: 420 13.7%
  • I'm not planning on playing the game/Don't know yet

Votes: 1,194 38.9%

• Total voters

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
You know as well as I do when people post those kind of statements on here that ain't what they're talking about lol

None of the issues outlined in the post you replied to are incorrect. That's not hyperbolically negative. It's the truth. Now you might not care, but that doesn't mean others don't have to either and that list is some fairly core systems, many of which are broken or non-working.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair... I kind of agree that the takedown with heroic orbs strat needs to be adjusted. It's just too good to not use it yet makes the game more boring/repetitive.

Exactly. Takedown spam is optimal for all the wrong reasons. It protects you from overpowered ranged enemies by spamming iframes and allows you to not engage in combat - the game's best feature. The best word I can describe it with is "degenerate" because it literally degenerates the combat.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Antagonizing other members
None of the issues outlined in the post you replied to are incorrect. That's not hyperbolically negative. It's the truth. Now you might not care, but that doesn't mean others don't have to either and that list is some fairly core systems, many of which are broken or non-working.
I was speaking to not just his reply, but all of the ones he's given since the game dropped. He's been one of the more active people in this thread and the review thread, and if you went back and read some of his other posts, you'd see what I was talking about being "hyperbolically negative".

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I was speaking to not just his reply, but all of the ones he's given since the game dropped. He's been one of the more active people in this thread and the review thread, and if you went back and read some of his other posts, you'd see what I was talking about being "hyperbolically negative".

I had just one posting in the review thread and that was negative against Destiny 1, lol.

Try again.

If you have a personal problem with me, there's an ignore button. I'm normally discussing the game like everyone else here and in discord, post a lot of real bugs but also praise the game a lot and very often. So get outta here with this shit.

Last edited:

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Exactly. Takedown spam is optimal for all the wrong reasons. It protects you from overpowered ranged enemies by spamming iframes and allows you to not engage in combat - the game's best feature. The best word I can describe it with is "degenerate" because it literally degenerates the combat.

couldn't disagree more. I love the takedown meta and would be super disappointed if it's nerfed. The animations are cool and never get old and I enjoy the decision making involved with the iframes. I like using them to get my bearings, to regain health, to "dodge" attacks when there's groups. It's all great. It's the best thing about playing Black Widow and Captain America.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Ahhh, gotcha. I thought it was focused on the content of that post. My bad. I'll leave y'all to it.

couldn't disagree more. I love the takedown meta and would be super disappointed if it's nerfed. The animations are cool and never get old and I enjoy the decision making involved with the iframes. I like using them to get my bearings, to regain health, to "dodge" attacks when there's groups. It's all great. It's the best thing about playing Black Widow and Captain America.

He is correct from a design perspective that it's sort of degenerate play, in regards to Avengers' core combat.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

You're basically right, but I do enjoy unleashing big attacks, executing takedowns, then immediately flowing into more combos. I don't necessarily think it's degenerate, but it does feel necessary because of how poorly designed most of the encounters are right now. I definitely use a lot of the heroics as basically emergency iframes to escape from the half a dozen or so lasers that sometimes converge on you. Widow's shock punch basically let's you iframe any attack on command and then it's usually a takedown or auto kill on whoever takes it.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I couldn't disagree more with your disagreement, haha. There's only a couple of animations and I would rather be actually playing the combat than watching it. There's no decision making, you shit out so many heroic orbs once you have the right artifact and build that the optimal strategy is to just use the abilities off cooldown. What you're talking about is the good part of iframes, the decision making and using them like a parry for sticky situations. This all goes out the window when you have effectively infinite iframes.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're basically right, but I do enjoy unleashing big attacks, executing takedowns, then immediately flowing into more combos. I don't necessarily think it's degenerate, but it does feel necessary because of how poorly designed most of the encounters are right now. I definitely use a lot of the heroics as basically emergency iframes to escape from the half a dozen or so lasers that sometimes converge on you. Widow's shock punch basically let's you iframe any attack on command and then it's usually a takedown or auto kill on whoever takes it.

It definitely feels good the first time! I myself said as much earlier in the thread:

I fucking love Cap, the mastery upgrades increase your stun capability so you can do more takedowns, and then you unlock ability meter boosts when you do takedowns. You'll basically have 100% ability uptime. His entire kit becomes

200.gif

But when you keep playing with it for hours you get bored. The more efficient you build this strat, the less you have to pay attention to the game.

Completely agree that the takedowns aren't intrinsically a problem, its the enemy design and balance which necessitates iframe abuse that's the root issue. Keyword "abuse" - iframes as another tool in the arsenal is great. Iframes being so optimal and powerful that the rest of the tools are useless is not.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't disagree more with your disagreement, haha. There's only a couple of animations and I would rather be actually playing the combat than watching it. There's no decision making, you shit out so many heroic orbs once you have the right artifact and build that the optimal strategy is to just use the abilities off cooldown. What you're talking about is the good part of iframes, the decision making and using them like a parry for sticky situations. This all goes out the window when you have effectively infinite iframes.

Sure, but before you nerf all this takedown stuff they need to nerf the ranged enemies. I always go for takedowns (and I'm very low-leveled) because I need the field to clear so I can stop dodging like a maniac lol

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I first got into Warframe, I did things that allowed me to kill and farm/loot efficiently, and without them I died easily. Even today I tend to use the perma invisible frames to play new content with my over powered weapons (Loki, Octavia, Ash). Then there's the Warframes that take no damage (Rhino's Iron Skin), Warframes that slowed enemies to a crawl in a big protective bubble (Frost), or the Warframe that defied death over and over (I got so rich farming the Acolytes when they were well above my experience and gear because Wukong didn't care about death).

Instead of nerfing, just make other ways to handle the content. My Ms. Marvel don't have to use the take down cycle to feed her heroics for a heal, but if I was doing raid stuff in a healer role I could see myself using it often to fuel the heals. She has a ton of HP, and armor, and I notice those attacks don't really scare me anymore, but I still do the takedowns just to CC big guys and to help my damage.

Oct 29, 2017
Wait a minute...so I just had the AMAZING epiphany to redo the Cap HARM training in order to quickly grind out the daily challenge of getting 15 kill using counter attacks (this made it...SO much easier since it's just you and no AI or randos stealing your kills while you patiently wait for enemies to attack you for the parries) and lo and behold I see in the tutorial tip that RED attacks can be parried by Cap's shield? Uh what? Is that a typo?

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Wait a minute...so I just had the AMAZING epiphany to redo the Cap HARM training in order to quickly grind out the daily challenge of getting 15 kill using counter attacks (this made it...SO much easier since it's just you and no AI or randos stealing your kills while you patiently wait for enemies to attack you for the parries) and lo and behold I see in the tutorial tip that RED attacks can be parried by Cap's shield? Uh what? Is that a typo?
Yeah the HARM missions are pretty great for most of the challenges.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
the endgame loop is very much Warframe, but minus Warframe's years of additions. Which can't really be expected of a new game, I digress.

The Warframe comparisons do have me curious how much this potentially compares to Warframe at-launch. It was significantly smaller then (only 8 frames at launch I see) and IIRC the game only arguably "got good" with Parkour 2.0 (and indeed, watching E3 2013 gameplay it's so bizarre watching someone play and not fucking bullet-jumping everywhere lmao).

Of course, Warframe will always have it's F2P status over it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Don't understand how this game has sub 70. It has flaws, but people acting like it's one of those old time shitty movie tie in games are nuts. There's a lot of nice stuff put into this game. I'm not too far though, so maybe it gets way worse.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Don't understand how this game has sub 70. It has flaws, but people acting like it's one of those old time shitty movie tie in games are nuts. There's a lot of nice stuff put into this game. I'm not too far though, so maybe it gets way worse.

The only way this game is sub 70 is if you experience a ton of bugs, or you don't have a group to play with and are forced to use their shitty matching system.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
you experience a ton of bugs, or you don't have a group to play with and are forced to use their shitty matching system.

I mean, the latter is a core part of an online game. Bedrock! Even with friend, if you get DCed, you getting back in that elite Hive? No? Why not? Oh, because there's no way to rejoin a session.

I can keep going on basic online stuff. Not even design-level.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know why there aren't more characters in this game. Like, if they're doing new characters monthly, why didn't they just take half of those characters and put them into the game. Kate Bishop, Hawkeye? Those characters could've had their own "Iconic Mission" side stories and then be playable during the campaign. That would've made this game way better.

Because content takes time to develop and they know they need a carrot on stick to keep people to come back. It's simply about having continual content being added to your game on a regular basis to keep your player base coming back, so it's pretty common to develop and hold stuff back and ready to go, also gives the devs breathing room to work on stuff to add to the game cause they have stuff mostly ready to go, instead of having the problem so many games have where you go 3--5 months with no new content added, and your player base dries up.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
So I went to pick up my daily faction missions and one of the faction boss battles was already done. It is a repeat, but I thought sometimes they are and you can just do them again? I feel like I've had repeats before. Has anyone had this happen, or understand what the intention is?

I haven't been able to accept a villain sector daily since Monday.

Oct 29, 2017
Completely agree that the takedowns aren't intrinsically a problem, its the enemy design and balance which necessitates iframe abuse that's the root issue. Keyword "abuse" - iframes as another tool in the arsenal is great. Iframes being so optimal and powerful that the rest of the tools are useless is not.

I think it might end up coming down to the devs needing to nerf stun damage so it isn't as easy to build up stun meter? That or, after stunning an opponent isn't the only prerequisite for performing a takedown, you also have to build a combo meter up that is "spent" after doing one takedown?

Also, can someone confirm if Cap is able to parry red attacks or not? The HARM tutorial I just replayed indicated this but I never realized...I feel like it might be a typo?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here know what's the fastest mission to run to fight exos ?
Enemy spawns are random, but they're is a modifier for more Exos I think.

That's the problem with the "Kill 10 X" in the game. I generally just load up Enter the Avengers to get that done. Exos would probably be a Huge, but it's a toss up of getting Adaptoids instead

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
He's hardly the worst offender on that regard. I gave this game a 9/10 and have this as a GOTY contender for me. Somehow that's equated as hyperbole, while I keep seeing people come here to not just trash the game, but tell others that are enjoying it that they are wrong for doing so. Edge has talked at length about the game, pointing out both what he loves and what he is frustrated with. At least he isn't trying to pass his opinion as gospel or "the truth".

I'm right there with you. The animations also serve to strategize your next moves in the heat of comba, especially when things get crazy. Had an insane experience playing with a random earlier and we were timing our Thor's and Iron Man's support heroics to achieve exactly that.

Cutting off the takedowns is absolute non-sense, imho.

He is correct from a design perspective that it's sort of degenerate play, in regards to Avengers' core combat.

Yeah... no. He isn't correct.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I feel like enemies at high level need to be reworked before killing the takedown stuff. Enemies esp on elite just seem to soak everything and never flinch. Meanwhile you're getting shot at. Encounters push you that way hard

Soj

Oct 27, 2017

You can't parry reds. A couple of the harm room tutorials incorrectly state that you can, but you actually have to perfect evade.

I'm guessing certain characters were probably originally planned to be able to do it, but it got changed and the tutorial text was just never revised.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing this vault mission and one of the 5 terminals does not exist as far as I can find. I'm sure it is out there somewhere, but I have been running around for ages.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, how you feel about it is whatever. You can enjoy it! I don't care. But takedown spam allows you to avoid mechanics like staggers, dodges, and parries. Like, it is the definition of degenerative play. Sorry, you are in fact, incorrect.

Degenerate Strategy

This definition explains the meaning of Degenerate Strategy and why it matters.

There is no tutorial being like, "Takedowns are a great way to avoid masses of incoming damage!" They are meant to provide you with more damage and orbs once you've specced into it. The invincibility is a side effect of implementation (you survive the animation being played out, since you know, they sell Takedowns), and once you're in certain specs, you can use them to avoid a great deal of damage.

Which again, you can feel whatever about. Degenerative play isn't always bad. This is still a degenerate strategy.

Last edited:

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Me neither. It is a flawed game with one of the best campaigns of the year. I feel like some critics tried way too hard to hate on this. I gave it a 9/10, I understand those that gave it a 7/10 but below that it's just needlessly harsh and not really fair with this game at all. I am right there with criticisms I've seen from EZA's Michael Ruber and even GreatBriTom when it comes to how the game desperately needs more content like new levels and villains, but it's still very much one of the strongest releases of the year. Once they work around all the bugs, I think it won't be long until people realize how much of a gem this game is.

I mean, how you feel about it is whatever. You can enjoy it! I don't care. But takedown spam allows you to avoid mechanics like staggers, dodges, and parries. Like, it is the definition of degenerative play. Sorry, you are in fact, incorrect.

Degenerate Strategy

This definition explains the meaning of Degenerate Strategy and why it matters.

There is no tutorial being like, "Takedowns are a great way to avoid masses of incoming damage!" They are meant to provide you with more damage and orbs once you've specced into it. The invincibility is a side effect of implementation (you survive the animation being played out, since you know, they sell Takedowns), and once you're in certain specs, you can use them to avoid a great deal of damage.

Which again, you can feel whatever about. Degenerative play isn't always bad. This is still a degenerate strategy.
I've been playing brawlers all my life. This is one of the best I've ever played. I think it's laughable to suggest that the guy behind God of War's combat gameplay hasn't consciously made the takedowns of his new game to work the way it does because it's insanely satisfying but by a mistake that people are exploiting. Invincibility when you are doing a takedown has been a staple in the genre and part of the combat flow of God of War, Spidey and Arkham games before.

This game has arguably the best combat gameplay and flow among all the other superhero games that came before, and I'm hardly the only one singing praises about that. Of course that I expect adjustments to the combat gameplay, but the takedowns and how they help you out strategize is one of this game's best features gameplay wise, and of course that is by design.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I've just reached level 50 (88 Power) with Cap. I discovered the OP build myself yesterday. I was reading the perks thinking "This can't be right". Easier takedowns in Brooklyn brawler mode combined with takedowns extending it and dropping heroic orbs to recharge it. I'm not in full on top level endgame range yet but it feels like it pretty much breaks the game. Especially when I realised you don't take damage while performing the takedowns.

It's crazy the devs saw that and thought it was fine.

I'm still massively enjoying it though.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Invincibility when you are doing a takedown has been a staple in the genre and part of the combat flow of God of War, Spidey and Arkham games before.
He's not complaining about invincibility during a takedown, he's complaining about frequent takedowns being a key component of builds at high level gameplay because it helps the player avoid having to engage with the various other gameplay systems in the game. Like yes there's takedowns in other game,s but you couldn't rely on them to the extent you can in this game.

Like, a more valid objection would be that it's not necessarily the fault with the takedown system as it is the fact that with how high level gameplay currently is designed, it just sucks trying to play the game as intended at that point. :v

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Mando, keep working through your feelings, man. Whatever works for you.

Personally though, I'll go wIth actually talking about the design of the game in front of me.

Oh wow, look, Reddit just got there too.
Here's my main issue, which is caused by some underlying systemic issues: The optimal way to play each character is very similar. Spec into heroic orbs from takedowns, stun damage for whatever your chosen character's best AOE attacks are, and any extra heroic charge or orb generation you can find. My favorites are Iron Man, Thor and Widow, but I've taken Hulk to 149 because he's actually the one who falls into that routine the least. (Although admittedly "spam power slam attacks" is getting a bit old, too.)

This is not to say that every character plays the same at a rest. I really like the variety of classes and builds in the game. But because of extremes in enemy design, level design and encounter design -- each of which I assume was tuned to encourage diversity in approach, as /u/CD_PhilT has suggested -- this variety eventually converges on the "I win" buttons in the system. Namely, spamming takedowns (which grant iframes, healing and heroic charge) and heroics.

It feels great the first time you realize you can maintain 100 percent uptime on Brooklyn Brawler or Veil of Shadows! Or that you can always have full heroic on Hulk by using your support heroic and obliterating the whole room. But at the core gameplay level, these builds becoming the meta is about ignoring the combat system, not interacting with it. That's an important distinction.

Spamming takedowns is the opposite of fast-paced combo-based gameplay. It's literally using one or two abilities then walking from enemy to enemy and pressing a quicktime event button, then walking over to pick up the orbs (because boy howdy, loot magnetism in this game could use some work). In fact, it becomes a game within the game of fitting enough takedowns into the buff timer to get the next cast off in time.

Heroic spam is not quite as bad. In fact, using heroics on certain enemies first is one of the few places where target priority actually surfaces. But that's the issue here! Heroics are on long enough cooldowns by default that using them for baseline encounter interaction (focusing certain enemies first) requires you to optimize for heroic orb generation. Which means stun/takedown spam.

So what's causing this convergence?

I'm not sure what the right answers are, and I know devs are generally less interested in hearing solutions from players than they are in hearing problem areas. My personal suggestion would be to tone down the effectiveness of heroic abilities and heroic orbs, while simultaneously massively increasing the amount of heroic charge gained from neutral game combo attacks. This would give players an avenue to generate heroics more naturally and more consistently, but would not grant a never-ending stream of overpowered abilities. I'd also look at giving enemies more hp and less overshield, at making unblockable attacks a little more scarce (and different for tank characters), and at making stagger a little more viable on non-elite enemies. There are great combo systems in this game, and it's a shame that it rarely ever makes sense to use them or even try to use them, since a pack of high-level enemies will instant-kill you if you try to stand there and light-combo one of them down.

Note, fixing this would also deal with a common complaint: "combos are possible, but there's no incentive to do so."

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I´m honestly scared they have internally already written it off and content support will dry up after the initial bunch of Stuff that is already probably mostly finished.
I'm pretty sure this will be dropped after the 1 year mark, if it survives that long anyway.

The player base already dropped out mostly due to virtually no endgame variety at all.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I've just reached level 50 (88 Power) with Cap. I discovered the OP build myself yesterday. I was reading the perks thinking "This can't be right". Easier takedowns in Brooklyn brawler mode combined with takedowns extending it and dropping heroic orbs to recharge it. I'm not in full on top level endgame range yet but it feels like it pretty much breaks the game. Especially when I realised you don't take damage while performing the takedowns.

How long could you extend it? Doesn't it count the time down while being in the animations?

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
He's not complaining about invincibility during a takedown, he's complaining about frequent takedowns being a key component of builds at high level gameplay because it helps the player avoid having to engage with the various other gameplay systems in the game. Like yes there's takedowns in other game,s but you couldn't rely on them to the extent you can in this game.

Like, a more valid objection would be that it's not necessarily the fault with the takedown system as it is the fact that with how high level gameplay currently is designed, it just sucks trying to play the game as intended at that point. :v
But that's what I'm saying; I'm no Klyka or anyone playing this like a pro right now: I'm about to finish the campaign and I'm closing to level 50 with my main, I have . Most people won't play at an incredible high level, so what you do is increase the difficulty for those playing at a higher level and keep those at the middle of the road that will never play as much as a pro.

That's a nerf that I can get behind. Cap is broken.

Mando, keep working through your feelings, man. Whatever works for you.

Personally though, I'll go wIth actually talking about the design of the game in front of me.

Oh wow, look, Reddit just got there too.

Note, fixing this would also deal with a common complaint: "combos are possible, but there's no incentive to do so."

I'm doing combos all the time, and using the takedowns to strategize exactly that. I see that Cap seems broken at a high level. You can't state your preferences like proven facts. For those that are in the middle of the road, the combat flow is quite fucking awesome, that's what I'm saying. And I think it's obvious that this was made by design, not really an exploit, Brooklyn Brawler's exploit not withstanding since it's so far not really something that those still on the treadmill can really experience while playing.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
How long could you extend it? Doesn't it count the time down while being in the animations?

It adds 3 seconds per takedown. If you get a run of regular non shielded enemies you can basically keep it going forever. If you do run out though you'll probably already have recharged it from all the heroic orbs.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Indefinitely. Orbs give a few seconds, CQC Brawler allows you to get to takedown much faster , Adrenaline Rush makes Takedowns extend the time, and the timer pauses on takedown.

Edit: Mando, you're talking feelings, not facts, and it's honestly not worth my time to try and keep explaining it to you. Carry on.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I swear every other "kill the enemies" Hive floor I have one objective stuck behind a closed door.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I for one enjoy the heroic orb bonanzas some heroes can provide. Being able to use your powers more frequently is great.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already finding myself able to frequently embiggen immediately after my embiggen runs out, sometimes multiple times in a row if there's enough combat and I haven't even tried to build for it at all. Something definitely feels off about how easy it is to recharge duration based heroics in the middle of using them.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the point now where certain enemies will just one shot snipe me and when I'm stuck playing with bots because matchmaking doesn't work it's infuriating

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hard to say what the designer intended or knew. Either way, I don't particularly care, it's super fun and I hope it stays.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took me a while to find a team for the Hive mission, and i crashed at the last floor....

Fuck, i really want to love this game, but i'm done until they're getting out of alpha.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's a nerf that I can get behind. Cap is broken.

I'm doing combos all the time, and using the takedowns to strategize exactly that. I see that Cap seems broken at a high level. You can't state your preferences like proven facts. For those that are in the middle of the road, the combat flow is quite fucking awesome, that's what I'm saying. And I think it's obvious that this was made by design, not really an exploit, Brooklyn Brawler's exploit not withstanding since it's so far not really something that those still on the treadmill can really experience while playing.

You confuse me my man. How are you definitively saying that I'm incorrect about takedowns being a degenerate strategy at the endgame, when you also agree that Cap is broken? And how are you dismissing my opinion outright when you haven't played this strategy at endgame? In my first post I even said that the takedown build is fun and much better before the build becomes completely optimized and braindead to play.