• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing Marvel's Avengers on?

• PS4/PS5

Votes: 1,266 41.2%
  • Xbox One/Xbox Series X

Votes: 285 9.3%
  • PC (Steam/Stadia)

Votes: 420 13.7%
  • I'm not planning on playing the game/Don't know yet

Votes: 1,194 38.9%

• Total voters
Nov 17, 2019
Finished my first Hive mission two nights ago and my motivation to keep going with the postgame is starting to drain away. I'm not sure I can grind the other five characters up to 50 unless they start giving us more map tilesets and enemy types to tackle.
Nothing drains my will to play this game like game hives do. Just wait until you have to do the 14 floor one.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Why are the Black Widow and Hulk Iconic end mission alot higher then all other characters?
Suddenly it went from 20 to 40 power level.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's on my GOTY list, even as flawed as it is. This and Fall Guys are easily the most fun I've had with a game this year, Avengers is right there with TLOU2 as my GOTY. People trying to write off this game as a GOTY is what is hilarious to me. I mean, who are you to tell me what I consider my GOTY, to begin with?

www.inverse.com

'Marvel's Avengers' review: A better 'Destiny 2' with actual heroes

In a year where 'Black Widow' was delayed by months, 'Marvel's Avengers' is an addicting substitute that translates comic book frenzy into live-service multiplayer.

I agree with this.

GTFO with this bullshit.
Nah, I won't, the game is a fucking mess and to even be considered for GOTY just because you like Marvel is laughable. Putting this on the same level as TLOU2 is even more laughable.

Putting this on your personal GOTY list is fine I guess, if you set the bar that low.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
It's on my GOTY list, even as flawed as it is. This and Fall Guys are easily the most fun I've had with a game this year, Avengers is right there with TLOU2 as my GOTY. People trying to write off this game as a GOTY is what is hilarious to me. I mean, who are you to tell me what I consider my GOTY, to begin with?

www.inverse.com

'Marvel's Avengers' review: A better 'Destiny 2' with actual heroes

In a year where 'Black Widow' was delayed by months, 'Marvel's Avengers' is an addicting substitute that translates comic book frenzy into live-service multiplayer.

I agree with this.

GTFO with this bullshit.

I wouldn't give a gold medal to the guy who came in 5th in a 10 person race.

As meaningless as "game of the year" is, it does alter perception of a game, and this game is a fucking mess and should not be awarded anything of the sort just because people like Marvel heroes.

I don't care if you personally have it as GOTY, but if a publication that wants to be seen as credible gives it GOTY I am gonna side-eye the fuck out of them.

That is not to say I want this game to fail or anything. I want this game to succeed and be supported. Hell, if they do a great turnaround like No Man's Sky did, that would be amazing.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
I've been enjoying the game, but man do I feel I'm bad at it. I should probably watch someone "good" at it to see how they navigate encounters. There are some characters that just click, and others that I feel like complete garbage with.

I feel like Hulk will be someone I really enjoy playing once I figure him out a bit better, but damn
even on Normal I had to repeat his "step" in the final boss battle four different times because even with most points in his rage mechanics I was just getting WRECKED.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
With everything going on with the "support" for the game right now, I do not have high hopes for the future. Best case scenario is that they go dark for a while like the No Man's Sky devs and then come out swinging with a huge update. But even No Man's Sky had a huge player base at launch. Here I am not so sure. Plus they have a fixed content roadmap to adhere to... Unless things start sliding back on the calendar.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I've had numerous crashes, but each time the game just closes and thankfully no BSOD or lockups.

I think the game is fun but I've also never played a game that was such a complete mess.

The thought of this even being considered come GOTY is hilarious and just absurd

unless it's for Giant Bomb's Hottest Mess category

If it means anything, this game is guaranteed #1 on Jim Sterling's Top Ten Shittiest Games of 2020 list. It was already going to be top 3 because it commits every industry "sin" in the book, it's current state post-launch is just icing.

So that's going to be fun. ._.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
With everything going on with the "support" for the game right now, I do not have high hopes for the future. Best case scenario is that they go dark for a while like the No Man's Sky devs and then come out swinging with a huge update. But even No Man's Sky had a huge player base at launch. Here I am not so sure. Plus they have a fixed content roadmap to adhere to... Unless things start sliding back on the calendar.
I don't think you can expect the devs here to "go quiet".
We already got basically confirmed dates for the next two months of new hero drops and it is expected that we get another drop in December/January.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying the game, but man do I feel I'm bad at it. I should probably watch someone "good" at it to see how they navigate encounters. There are some characters that just click, and others that I feel like complete garbage with.

I feel like Hulk will be someone I really enjoy playing once I figure him out a bit better, but damn
even on Normal I had to repeat his "step" in the final boss battle four different times because even with most points in his rage mechanics I was just getting WRECKED.

It is much less being bad so much as the game not preparing you for the bullshit it's gonna throw.

I have over 60 hours in this game and even on normal difficulty sometimes I just enter an enemy encounter and get stunlocked instantly from off screen and boom I'm dead.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, when you say they should have let gear change your character cosmetically, they say "but that wouldnt be in line with the lore!!!"

Such a cop out excuse when the game is trying to sell 15 dollar Hulk Santa skins...
CD never said this was a lore thing. It's a restriction from Marvel. Marvel Heroes had the same restrictions.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Story done, was fun.

Probably done with the game now tbh, I don't find the online fun. What a disappointment :(

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I don't think you can expect the devs here to "go quiet".
We already got basically confirmed dates for the next two months of new hero drops and it is expected that we get another drop in December/January.
Yeah that's what I was referring to in terms of a fixed content roadmap already being laid out. Which right now is to their detriment, because they have so many huge bugs and quality of life improvements to make to get the game to be functional. The fact that they haven't come out hat in hand and admitted "hey, we are glad you love the game, but it's true we have a lot to work on and we are gonna get there" before giving a detailed list of the fixes they are pursuing but are instead putting their marketplace front and center in their latest blog. This is combined with the apparent nerf to loot drops that is raging over at reddit. I just hope it doesn't go the way of Anthem where the devs seemingly developed an antagonistic relationship with the community.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017

I love Marvel stuff so I have been really tempted to get this, but I am kinda taking a wait and see approach with this.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah that's what I was referring to in terms of a fixed content roadmap already being laid out. Which right now is to their detriment, because they have so many huge bugs and quality of life improvements to make to get the game to be functional. The fact that they haven't come out hat in hand and admitted "hey, we are glad you love the game, but it's true we have a lot to work on and we are gonna get there" before giving a detailed list of the fixes they are pursuing but are instead putting their marketplace front and center in their latest blog. This is combined with the apparent nerf to loot drops that is raging over at reddit. I just hope it doesn't go the way of Anthem where the devs seemingly developed an antagonistic relationship with the community.
I mean, they got a huge bug megathread on reddit and they released this for the latest patch
avengers.square-enix-games.com

Marvel’s Avengers: September 9 Patch Notes & Studio Update - Marvel's Avengers Game

Greetings heroes! Since launching Marvel’s Avengers last week, it’s been amazing to see you play the game and discover the original story campaign of reassembling these heroes and learning more about Kamala Kahn, AIM, and exploring this world. We’re thrilled to hear that those who dove into...
where they specifically say they got multiple patches for big issues going.

They also got their devs talking on reddit, for example here https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayAvenge...icial_the_known_issues_and/g4hva4t/?context=3
is a comment about what the 1.3 patch will also bring

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I won't, the game is a fucking mess and to even be considered for GOTY just because you like Marvel is laughable. Putting this on the same level as TLOU2 is even more laughable.

Putting this on your personal GOTY list is fine I guess, if you set the bar that low.

Imagine giving a shit about TLOU2.

Bug fixing is crucial, but I saw quite a few people on Reddit the other day asking for new content. People who are playing the game are going to want new content sooner rather than later. So I don't think they'll stop adding stuff to it for bug fixes.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I've had numerous crashes, but each time the game just closes and thankfully no BSOD or lockups.

I think the game is fun but I've also never played a game that was such a complete mess.

The thought of this even being considered come GOTY is hilarious and just absurd

unless it's for Giant Bomb's Hottest Mess category

I have been playing the crap out of Avengers, I do really like it and think the foundation is very solid and the future is bright.

But yes, LOL at anyone putting this anywhere near their Top 10 for GOTY. If anyone is saying that, they have the Marvel Rose Tinted Glasses on.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nothing drains my will to play this game like game hives do. Just wait until you have to do the 14 floor one.
I actually found the 14 level one better than the shorter ones.

Main reason is that there were far more levels that you just had to kill enemies instead of specific tasks and there was also some levels that didn't really have much pre final room fighting either.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
In beta they had responded and talked about new enemies as you level up, but really nothing changes, it's the same few enemies from the campaign over and over and over again.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but what is Marvel's point of not allowing this? They dont want characters to look different from their comics?
I think they're ok with that. A lot of the costumes are originals and for example Spider-Man in the PS4 game is a relatively large original departure. I think it's more of a curation thing. They want to be able to approve an overall look that the player isn't going to have control over tweaking outside their say so which means the player not having the control to mix and match individual pieces.

Last edited:

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
In beta they had responded and talked about new enemies as you level up, but really nothing changes, it's the same few enemies from the campaign over and over and over again.

Fucked me up when I beat the campaign and switched to a low power and level character and one of the first missions had Cryo Adaptoids and shit and I was just like oh fuck not these assholes

So many of their enemies are just designed to be frustrating

And what's worse, the fucking devs decided to put in enemies that require dodge and parries, and then put in a fucking status effect that makes it so you can't do that for like 5 seconds.

I know people hate Spin for taking their Heroic charges away, but you can deal with that. You can get that Heroic back. Losing the ability to dodge is pretty much just "put the controller down and die"

instead of a variety of enemies, it's just the same shitty assholes only now instead of the 1 that kicked your ass in the campaign, here's three of them and they have friends

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but what is Marvel's point of not allowing this? They dont want characters to look different from their comics?
I think they're ok with that. A lot of the costumes are originals and for example Spider-Man in the PS4 game is a relatively large original departure. I think it's more of a curation thing. They want to be able to approve an overall look that the player isn't going to have control over tweaking outside their say so which means no mix and matching of individual pieces.

Marvel has always had a thing for brand synergy, especially in the 21st century with so many movies serving as the de facto renditions of certain characters in public consciousness. This behavior is something that predates Disney's buyout of them, and on the gaming side of things most likely got particularly spurred after they got burned by EA with Marvel Nemesis.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's pretty bad we fought 3/4s of the villain sector bosses in the beta. I think that's an issue I'm having with end game, it's like an extended beta.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Bug fixing is crucial, but I saw quite a few people on Reddit the other day asking for new content. People who are playing the game are going to want new content sooner rather than later. So I don't think they'll stop adding stuff to it for bug fixes.
imagine Marvels Avengers being on the same technical level as TLOU2 or as relatively bug free.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
And that's the funny thing! I could care less about the loot. I got Cap to 50, and I want to get some other characters to 50, but do I really care about 130 power level? I mean, I guess it's something to grind out for while I do dailies. But honestly that part of the game barely even registers for me. The bugs, quality of life stuff, and even to some degree matchmaking all don't really change my excitement for the game.

As many problems as I did have with the story, I still liked it enough to keep seeing it move forward. That's what is gonna bring me back in a big way. I just wonder how big a contingent of players like me there are. Players that aren't personally frustrated by so much of what the endgame has to offer and really just played this as a 15 hour single player superhero game.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

TLOU: PII is one of the biggest games of the year, a lot of people care about it.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty bad we fought 3/4s of the villain sector bosses in the beta. I think that's an issue I'm having with end game, it's like an extended beta.

I can't believe a Marvel game has so few villain bosses at launch. Hell, 2 of them are just big fucking robots.

Abomination just farts poisonous gas at me and Taskmaster spams his instant kill

Like, there's a near infinite number of actual villains from the comics they could use, and they just have 2? Why not just forgo the two big robots which are just boring and get like...I dunno, someone from Marvel Heroes like Living Laser or Grim Reaper. I'm not asking for like Thanos or shit.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the PC version eventually come around, especially on faster loading when the new consoles come around. I feel like the PC version got the least attention, or maybe having to make it work for many configs make it a bigger project to handle I suppose. The loading hurts this game for me even on NVMe SSD.

I have more enjoyment with loading in Warframe, which I have on a HDD because of it's patching process with the optimize pop-up that scared me from using it on SSD. In Warframe you can skip the arrival cinematic, and the traveling animations (controllable ship loading screen) are fast. I don't dread going from place to place in Warframe because of it. When deciding to go to Ant Hill or The Chimera I have to make sure I don't need to come back first.

I should really look at how slow the loading is on a HDD or console without a SSD. I feel like it's not fast at all on PC, maybe because my CPU is usually near maxed out for some reason as it's loading (it's usually near maxed out all the time in this game).

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, relax. This is isn't an "OMG TLOU2 was so bad" comment. It's a "I never liked TLOU in the first place" comment.

Regardless it was a dumb troll comment that plague the forum.

The OP was just pointing out that comparing Marvels Avengers, a game literally riddled with bugs and busted mechanics at launch to a game that set Sony FP records at launch and recieved a 93 MC rating is really kinda ludicrous.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Just got Kamala to level 50, but I have one extra skill point... i've checked again and again and I have nothing to spend it on??

This is driving me insane

Edit: Okay now it's gone? I just completed a mission and the extraneous skill point went away

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I haven't touched this game for 1.5 weeks but it's not cause I don't like it, I've been in love with the first four hours and I think I'm gonna jump back in tonight. I can't wait to see where the story goes and I've seen some nice suits out there. I think it's the expansive big areas that scared me off. The first mission in the snowy mountains on the war table.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's the funny thing! I could care less about the loot. I got Cap to 50, and I want to get some other characters to 50, but do I really care about 130 power level? I mean, I guess it's something to grind out for while I do dailies. But honestly that part of the game barely even registers for me. The bugs, quality of life stuff, and even to some degree matchmaking all don't really change my excitement for the game.

As many problems as I did have with the story, I still liked it enough to keep seeing it move forward. That's what is gonna bring me back in a big way. I just wonder how big a contingent of players like me there are. Players that aren't personally frustrated by so much of what the endgame has to offer and really just played this as a 15 hour single player superhero game.

This is me, and there are probably dozens more of us!

Honestly I hope they put out a bunch more new single player story content. That should be the GaaS part of the game. They should treat each character as their own comic book series and release new story episodes periodically. Each story episode could be 5 to 8 hours long, then release a new ensemble story that's in the 10 to 20 hour length as full DLC. Of course that would be a lot of work and probably not practical, but that would be the most amazing game. Imagine an Avengers comic book series that you can play as a video game.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I've completely turned around on Hulk . I didn't know he can grab a second person and play patty cake . His fun factor has just gotten so much higher now just smashing around lagging the screen with his constant distraction.