• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing Marvel's Avengers on?

• PS4/PS5

Votes: 1,266 41.2%
  • Xbox One/Xbox Series X

Votes: 285 9.3%
  • PC (Steam/Stadia)

Votes: 420 13.7%
  • I'm not planning on playing the game/Don't know yet

Votes: 1,194 38.9%

• Total voters

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Well, despite my addiction to Destiny, always welcome to try something new out, plus it's the avengers, heh. Def PS4 version for Spidey

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I am only interested in solo play to finish the campaign.

Would it be pointless of me to purchase this game for that reason only?

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
So we know what time early access starts? Will it be 12am EST tomorrow night in the US?

Oct 25, 2017
OT dedicated to Chadwick Boseman
1976 - 2020

RM0WF9A.png

TEXT ONLY OT

GENERAL INFORMATION
Marvel's Avengers is a third-person, action-adventure game that combines an original, cinematic story with single-player and co-operative gameplay. The game can be played offline as a single-player experience or online with up to four people during certain aspects of the game. The game will feature customization options including abilities and costumes, which can be upgraded using a skill tree. Costumes have been sourced from "all corners of the Marvel universe" and can be earned in-game or bought separately as DLC. Players will also be able to receive free updates containing new regions and characters.

Developer: Crystal Dynamics & Eidos-Montréal
Publisher: Square Enix
Director: Shaun Escayg
Release Date: Early Access - 1 September 2020 | General Release - 4 September 2020
Genre: Action-adventure
Platforms: Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia

STORY
The story begins on A-Day, where five of the founding members of the Avengers — Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow and the Hulk — are celebrating the unveiling of a second headquarters in San Francisco, including the reveal of their own Helicarrier, the Chimera, powered by a Terrigen Crystal. The ceremony takes a turn when a terrorist attack led by Taskmaster results in the Golden Gate Bridge and most of the city being destroyed, as well as the apparent death of Captain America. The destruction of the Terrigen Crystal caused the spread of Terrigen Mist, which turns countless regular people into superpowered Inhumans. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, With the world in peril once more, Pakistani American teenager and Inhuman Kamala Khan uncovers both her new superpowers and a shocking conspiracy regarding A.I.M. She embarks on a quest to reassemble Earth's Mightiest Heroes, avenge Captain America's death, and uncover the true culprit behind the A-Day incident.

CHARACTERS
Marvel's Avengers features a large roster of characters drawn from the Marvel Universe, consisting primarily of the title team members and other superheroes. The initial playable characters include:

CAPTAIN AMERICA - Steve Rogers
IRON MAN - Tony Stark
BLACK WIDOW - Natasha Romanoff
THOR - Thor Odinson
THE HULK - Bruce Banner
MS. MARVEL - Kamala Khan

With additional playable characters coming post launch for free, such as HAWKEYE (Clint Barton). We also know that Spider-Man will be playable in the game exclusively on Playstation platforms.

GAMEPLAY
In Marvel's Avengers you choose one of the heroes to play as. During different missions chosen from the War Table you'll come across different enemies you have to fight with your different abilities. Each playable character has multiple skill trees to upgrade as you level up, unlocking new combos and moves to devastate your foes. You control the different heroes from a third person perspective and each hero has a series of melee, ranged and special attacks. These heroes all have unique traversal abilities too such as Iron Man and Thor being able to fly and Black Widow and Ms. Marvel grappling/grabbing surfaces. Each hero also has an Ultimate Heroic ability, with Iron Man being able to call down the Hulkbuster and Thor being able to call upon the power of the Bifrost. Exploring the different mission locales also rewards you as you'll come across chests and side objectives which give you resources and loot to make you even more powerful.

LOOT AND GEAR
Loot in Marvel's Avengers is key! You'll find different types of loot from defeating enemies, opening chests and completing missions. This loot varies from resources (to upgrade different pieces of armor) to individual pieces of gear which comes with unique abilities/bonuses and also increases the overall power of that specific hero; meaning you can tackle harder missions and tailor the playstyle of each individual character to you. These pieces of gear also have an impact on 4 major stats for each hero, these are: Melee Rating, Ranged Rating, Defense Rating and Heroic Rating. All of these stats and more can be tracked via the Gear screen at any time, you can even change out gear while loading into missions or waiting for friends to join your game. No need to return to the social space between every mission.

WAR TABLE
The War Table can be found aboard the Chimera, the main social space of Marvel's Avengers, you also have a miniature version of the War Table in the back of your Quinjet which you can access before/after missions. Missions can vary from Story Events to small single objective outings such as "Assault Drop Zone" or "Defend Threat Sector". You can also track your main mission chains in the Objectives menu. Missions also have a variety of rewards from gear, resources and collectables. You'll be revisiting the War Table throughout the main story of Marvel's Avengers as the Avengers reform and you tackle greater challenges all over the globe. You'll also be able to team up with friends or AI controlled companions so you're not always alone out there… the Avengers are a team after all.

COSMETICS - OUTFITS
In Marvel's Avengers gear doesn't change how you look, however you'll unlock unique outfits which have been sourced from "all corners of the Marvel universe" and can be earned in-game or bought separately via the in-game marketplace. One source of unlocking outfits is via the Challenge Cards which you progress through as you level up as a particular hero. All outfits don't change how your hero's stats or mechanics, it is purely a cosmetic outfit. Each playable character will have a slew of Outfits to unlock and purchase as well as more that will be released after launch. These outfits vary from brand new unique designs made for the game all the way to iconic and classic suits the different characters wore during their numerous media appearances across the years.

COSMETICS - NAMEPLATES
Nameplates are an important way to show off your identity in Marvel's Avengers. Each playable character has their own selection of nameplates while other types of nameplates are shared across all heroes. With this in mind some nameplates take their imagery from classic comic covers while others are unique new designs just for the game. As you level up you'll unlock more nameplates via the Challenge Card for each hero and you can also purchase new nameplates from the market. Certain events in the story or completing certain missions are also said to give you unique nameplates to mark your progress. Pick one you like and show off your hero of choice in a cool way in between missions as you team up with others.

CHALLENGE CARDS
Challenge Cards are a level progression based in-game unlock system similar to battle passes in other games. Each hero has its own unique Challenge Card, as you complete challenges you'll unlock new outfits, nameplates and resources that you can use. It is known that each Challenge Card can currently go up to level 40 so across the six playable characters that's 240 unlocks. You can also use resources/credits to advance through the challenge card to get to different rewards quicker. The daily and weekly challenges will be listed below the Challenge Card in the menu also, these can vary from "Defeat a certain number of a certain type of enemy" and "Defeat a certain number of enemies while airborne" to "Hit three or more enemies with a single Heavy or Power attack" - these challenges can sometimes challenge you to do things you don't want to or don't have the ability to do yet, in this case you can refresh the challenges you haven't completed to a different type of challenge.

REVIEW THREAD
Review thread will be added to here when reviews start flowing in.

OT BY iFIREZ

cTo7o0T.png

ADDITIONAL TEXT ONLY INFO

KEY TERMS AND CO-OP PLAY
Reassemble Campaign: The original Avengers story that follows Kamala Khan as she sets out to reassemble Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
Avengers Initiative: The Avengers Initiative is at the heart of our expanding world, where you can jump into online co-op. Here you can continue to hone your team while playing through an interconnected series of stories, missions, and personal hero arcs. The Avengers Initiative will evolve over time with the free addition of new heroes, villains, regions, and gear, for years to come.
War Zones: A War Zone is an expansive, explorable space that can be played solo or co-op, loaded with side content including concealed caches to uncover, powerful bounty enemies to defeat, AIM depots to take over, faction allies to rescue, and hidden rewards to claim.
War Table: War Zones are accessed via the War Table, which can be found in Outposts, Quinjets, and the bridge of the Chimera Helicarrier. The War Table keeps the pulse of all AIM activity worldwide and allows players to launch directly to where they are needed most.
Strike Team: The term for your team that assembles to take on War Zone missions! Up to four players can matchmake into a Strike Team together – yourself, plus three others. No duplicate heroes may exist in a Strike Team.
Hero Level: The individual Hero's total level, which is increased by gaining XP. The Hero Level affects enemy drops, chest rewards, and skill point availability.
Power Level: The average number of all Gear slots used. Power Level influences rewards, enemy progression, and gates access to late-game content.
Challenge Rating: This is the chosen difficulty of each War Zone on the War Table. Challenge rating affects enemy attack and defensive strength and counter difficulty.

Faction Missions: In addition to reassembling the Avengers, players will help rebuild Outposts for their allies. SHIELD suffered greatly after the disbanding of the Avengers, and the Resistance formed as a direct result of AIMs increasingly authoritarian activity worldwide. Players can take part in missions to provide these Factions intel, supplies, and defend them from AIM attacks.
Drop Zones: Drop Zones are short missions with a single objective, such as defending allies or sabotaging an AIM structure. These missions are great for quick play sessions, and for replaying to gain rewards.
SHIELD Vaults: Vaults are large explorable spaces that take some legwork to uncover. To access a Vault you first have to locate the coordinates from hidden SHIELD caches around the world. Once you've found the entrance, you must fight your way inside and breach the vault before you reap the rewards!
HARM Rooms: A HARM Room (Holographic Augmented Reality Machine) is a holographic training room where you can take on challenges with an assortment of enemies.
Hives: Hives are AIM strongholds located throughout the world, the Avengers must uncover their location and fight their way through and a gauntlet of increasingly challenging AIM defenses in order to disable them.
Villain Sectors: Villain Sector missions culminate with a boss fight, such as notable Marvel villains working in tandem with AIM, or one of the organization's extra-deadly constructs.

All of this and more can be read here: https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/co-opplay/

SEPTEMBER 1ST WAR TABLE

A rundown of all the big talking points from the September 1st War Table will be added here, these will include a link to the video for full viewing. We know/expect this War Table to be heavy on end game content and new heroes so the content in the main OT such as Hawkeye and Spider-Man being the two main known heroes coming after launch will be out of date QUICK. Stay tuned though for a succinct rundown of everything revealed in the War Table Stream once it happens.

cTo7o0T.png

A MESSAGE FROM THE OT CREATOR
Hey all, thanks for checking out my Avengers OT! This was an interesting one for me as I've been a Marvel fan for a long time but decided to really embrace the design language of the game on this one. My first OT was Anthem last year and now I've turned my eyes to another divisive GaaS but as always I'm excited to discuss this game with you all we play through the story and missions.

iFirez OTs: Anthem | The Outer Worlds | Darksiders Genesis | Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX | Animal Crossing: New Horizons OT1 OT2 OT3 OT4 | Homeworld Franchise | Ghost of Tsushima | Marvel's Avengers
OTs I've collaborated on: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order | Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Big congrats to Genesius for suggesting the winning title of this OT "That's America's GaaS" you can see the results of the community poll here: https://www.strawpoll.me/20806525/r in which you can see that the winning title won by a landslide. So again all credit to Genesius for suggesting that title and I guess a thanks to the writers of Endgame for that running joke. If you're unfortunate enough to not understand the OT title reference then maybe this gif will help you.

I'm honoured to be an OT creator on here along with so many other talented OT creators, here's just a select few of those other creators: vestan Black Chamber Xavi nihilence and Aurc. All of you and everyone else who makes OTs work incredibly hard and you're all inspiring and keep me wanting to make OTs every day. There's a lot of awesome games and consoles releasing this year so I can't wait to see what you all do with your claims! I was planning on rounding off my 2020 OT Year with Halo Infinite but as that's been delayed now you'll all have to wait until next year to see what I have been cooking up for that game. Instead, I'll be doing a follow up to my Ghost of Tsushima OT with a new separate Ghost of Tsushima: Legends OT later this year.

If anyone is interested in seeing the main 3 backgrounds of the OT I made you can see them below. They're kind of hidden behind all the text and images, they also are very blue due to my design choices do feel pretty hidden in the background... so wanted to let them get their moment in the spotlight too:

Well, I think that's quite enough for me. If you're an avid Twitter user like me, come say Hi to me over there. Time to wait for the game to release and wear my Iron Man helmet while watching the countdown. See you all ingame soon!

- Your friendly neighbourhood OT Creator

JOIN THE ERAvengers DISCORD SERVER
[Hidden content]

Replying for Discord

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I preordered this game but I really don't feel good about my preorder. I feel better about my Tony Hawk preorder. That said, I'm looking forward to playing.

In the beta, I found Black Widow to be the most fun. I was surprised not to find Iron Man and Thor fun, mostly because their flying felt awkward, but that may be something I'll get used to. Hulk felt weird because he's balanced to the other characters so his massive-ass attacks doing chip damage felt bad. Kamala is fun just like Black Widow is, but the embiggen animations make me uncomfortable so I don't want to play as her. The part you play as Cap is so minimal, so I'm interested in him. I'd like him or Widow to be my main.

Side note: expecting 6s in reviews

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I may or may not be able to confirm that. It all depends on what they say when I log in to work tomorrow.

I gots no problem snitching if they do...
Big if true.
Have the devs said anything on campaign length?
Interviews have said around 12 hours. I'm expecting that to be a very generous estimate that is taking into account a bunch of fluff side mission-y type stuff that has very little story content.

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question because i didn't paid attention during the beta... was it region locked or not ? aka was it possible for Europeans to play with US players ?

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only bought the regular edition so I gotta wait until Friday, wack didn't even think to check that since the Deus Ex shit I figured it wasn't something SE still did.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Skimmed through the thread and didn't see anything on how were are handling the story portion. I would assume spoiler tagging for a week or two? I know it's a gaas so I assume tagging gear would be a bit much

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Skimmed through the thread and didn't see anything on how were are handling the story portion. I would assume spoiler tagging for a week or two? I know it's a gaas so I assume tagging gear would be a bit much
We should technically have a spoiler thread up very early, like day 1 because even the achievement list contains spoilers, so will see as time goes on

Jaktagious

May 29, 2018
I pre purchased the standard edition on PSN already, before I realized the digital deluxe granted early access. Thankfully the pre-load didn't activate yet so I disconnected my online and will contact PSN tomorrow for a refund. That way I can upgrade to the deluxe and get in early :)

Jun 5, 2020
I preordered this game but I really don't feel good about my preorder. I feel better about my Tony Hawk preorder. That said, I'm looking forward to playing.
I'm more excited for Tony Hawk but still excited for this nonetheless. Probably the best week for games in 2020 thus far. Marvel's Avengers, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, and NBA 2K21 (don't judge me).

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
So what's everyones guess on when movie skins will be available? I play Marvel Future Fight on android and I'm addicted to getting the movie stuff lol

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I didnt realize this was also doing the 72 hour early access deluxe edition bullcrap.

Man Square Enix really threw every single bad possible decision into this game. Still getting it since I got it for way lower price due to Best Buy's game deal, but wow.