• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just take a look at this. On top of the regular and premium currencies, there are also a whole 10 different resources for upgrading your gears.

RUwMqLf.png

PP0j5Qc.png

Each gear requires different components for upgrades, and the later upgrades will require multiple (rarer) components. They know what they're doing with this kind game design, to make people grind for hundreds of hours for the resources. And according to the trailer, there's only going to be 2 different types of mission? That sounds like a nightmare.

I remember that Mortal Kombat 11 was also infamous for its multiple currencies, but this game still takes the crown.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
it's like the infinity stones but instead different currency

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Destiny has like a million currencies, way more than 10

I can't believe how unhyped I am for this game, holy shit, it's a fucking Avengers game made by Crystal Dynamics, and yet

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean. This seems sort of weirdly early to guess what will and won't be a currency but no its not near the highest. LOTS of games have tons and tons of different resources and currencies.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks exactly like a shitty mobile game. All it needs is character drops to up star levels.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
There's a difference between having a lot of currencies and having a bad economy. It's possible for a game to have one but not the other or even have both.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The two different types of missions were basically offline and online, you're trying to get at something that ain't there.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I don't know. Destiny 1 and 2 are up there. Glimmer, bright dust,strange coins, legendary shards, vendor tokens, upgrade modules, exotic shards, silver,

And I'm sure there are MMOs out there with way more.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The number of resources a game economy has does not correspond to grind.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, not seeing the problem with it really

and what should it be lol
Well, it's indicative of a game designed to maximize time input and encourage extra spending. I get it'll have a complete cinematic story alongside all that, but my hope when hearing about an Avengers game was something more strictly focused on storytelling and personality. I fear this won't be that.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha someone's never played Destiny.

D1 had 20 different currencies (not including bright dust and silver) by the Taken King.

D2 currently has 9 planetary materials, sometimes an additional currency for EACH planet, Legendary Shards, enhancement shards, infusion items, Vanguard Materials, Vex currencies, the currency for the hunts in the astroid belt, and current event currency.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
... And yet I'm hyped for it. I hope they get some of the flight designers from Anthem to work on Iron Man's flight.

The plethora of currency doesn't concern me if the game launches discounted or on multiple next gen platforms counting the next next gen consoles. If this comes with all these currencies then give the switch lite some 60 fps love too.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
?

In World there are only 2 resources: research points and zenny. That's it?

Unless you count materials you get from monsters as resources, but I don't think it's the kind of 'resources' we're talking about in here.

Actually, looking at that second screenshot, I'm pretty sure these resources are explicitly upgrade materials, which in a Destiny style game are the crafting materials from Monster Hunter.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha someone's never played Destiny.

D1 had 20 different currencies (not including bright dust and silver) by the Taken King.

D2 currently has 9 planetary materials, sometimes an additional currency for EACH planet, Legendary Shards, enhancement shards, infusion items, Vanguard Materials, Vex currencies, the currency for the hunts in the astroid belt, and current event currency.

Yeah, D2 has an insane amount of resources and currencies to juggle.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't play many games of this type, I remember being surprised by how many different little special resources were in God of War 2018. Felt needlessly over-complicated.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Warframe got more resources that i can list here but that's f2p and it's pretty relaxed in giving out resources and even premium currencies not to mention it allow players to trade among each other.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man PS4 had about that many currencies. It was a great game.

Not saying Avengers won't suck, just reserving judgment.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are all of those currencies up for sale? If not then those are materials that you have to farm from everything from Sonic Adventure 2 to World of Warcraft.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Lots of games have an obscene amoujt of different stuff in the economy. My worry for Avengers is that Crystal Dynamics will struggle to produce the quantity and quality of content needed for a Destiny-like at launch and beyond. Hopefully the campaign is good at least

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you count materials you get from monsters as resources, but I don't think it's the kind of 'resources' we're talking about in here.
It kind of is. OP said that these currencies are materials gained from missions and used to craft and upgrade gear. And while I know you get materials from killing monsters, a majority of your materials will be bonus rewards for your mission completion in MHW. On average you only get 3 items from carving the monster itself.

If you laid out every material needed for upgrading or crafting materials at the bottom of the screen in MHW there wouldn't be enough room.

Either way I'll hold off until I know they're planning on monetizing those materials into the ground by making the grind unbearable.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm ok with that, if anything it makes me want the game more because it doesn't look like a lot of currencies.
This game going to have raids?

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It would not be a problem if it was balanced around gameplay, it could even be awesome as you would have to prioritize different stuff based on what you want long or short term.

Sadly this will likely be balanced around people spending money and randomizing and basically using predatory tactics to make whales spend more.

I really hope I am wrong

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would not be a problem if it was balanced around gameplay, it could even be awesome as you would have to prioritize different stuff based on what you want long or short term.

Sadly this will likely be balanced around people spending money and randomizing and basically using predatory tactics to make whales spend more.

I really hope I am wrong
That would kind of directly go against their "we only sell cosmetics" thing they said.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Really reaching with your assumptions there OP. You have literally zero context regarding how hard those currencies will be to obtain, not to mention you've taken them differentiating "co-op missions" and "solo missions" as there being only two types of mission. It's ridiculously early to be making the assumptions you are, and as others have said Destiny handles similar amounts of "currencies" just fine. You also conveniently didn't mention the two currencies in the top right, which is likely one free currency and one paid just like, oh I dunno, every other game of a similar nature.

Chill the hell out.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top 10 ways to tell someones never played the Destiny franchise.

Number 1... This thread.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
Ive played Warframe for over 3 years so this isnt a shock to me. I expect it to be honest. It will only become a problem if we can purchase the materials and the game economy encourages purchases.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
It kind of is. OP said that these currencies are materials gained from missions and used to craft and upgrade gear. And while I know you get materials from killing monsters, a majority of your materials will be bonus rewards for your mission completion in MHW. On average you only get 3 items from carving the monster itself.

If you laid out every material needed for upgrading or crafting materials at the bottom of the screen in MHW there wouldn't be enough room.

Either way I'll hold off until I know they're planning on monetizing those materials into the ground by making the grind unbearable.

I meant the kind of "resources" that can be bought by MTX. In world the MTX has nothing to do with any materials of any kind that are used for your Hunter, they offer nothing that can give players any gameplay advantage of any kind.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
10 upgrade resources is like, gaas standard. This seems like a UI issue. If Destiny listed out planetary mats, cores, prisms, etc like this it would feel equally overwhelming

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean technically speaking its something like MHW where there is individual resource pieces for certain items that are monster unique.

But Avengers has potential MTX stuff written over it so its bound to be more egregious.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I meant the kind of "resources" that can be bought by MTX. In world the MTX has nothing to do with any materials of any kind that are used for your Hunter, they offer nothing that can give players any gameplay advantage of any kind.

Supposedly the only thing you can buy for this game is cosmetics. If that's the case, all this stuff can't be gotten through MTX.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This game is so fucking confusing. It does not look like a loot game at all and now it's got what looks like a needlessly complex loot system.

Also how are they going to add new playable characters later? I still don't understand that.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I liked the recent trailer more than the reveal. Was finally showing some excitement but this certainly dampens my spirit.

back to 0 hype i guess.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
If you think 10 resources are crazy, you should see what crafting in real MMOs looks like, tbh. Destiny also certainly has a lot more resources in its economy (planetary alone are at 7 or so now).