• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
To the casual Marvel fan she is unknown. You don't see how people buying an "Avengers" game might be upset they spend most of their time playing someone they've never heard of? Someone coming from just the MCU wouldn't even know who she is.
How exactly do you expect people to know about them if they don't actually start using them?

Or do you think anyone gave a shit about the Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie came out?

Hell I'd argue the entire phase 1 Avengers roster minus hulk was on the same level Kamala is currently.

Chiming in as well, Kamala also has a D+ show already slated that will most likely come out within the next 2 years assuming COVID doesn't fuck anything else up further. The end of her relative obscurity is...imminent.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
It's not landing on "Kamala is kind of bleh" that stands out. Whatever. It's the dismissiveness, the complete indifference to what it means to spotlight a Pakistani Muslim character in this kind of game, the weirdness of focusing on "we don't know her tho" when 1) a fresh face in a collection of incredibly overexposed faces is one of the few things that makes this game interesting at all and 2) they explicitly said in the video that the Girlfriend doesn't care about Marvel characters anyway.

I blame the advertising of the game focused on the MCU characters (which contributed to everyone making fun of the character models) and hardcore marvel fans now mean hardcore MCU fans

so I'm not surprised that a lot of people are like "who is this fangirl?"

though I am biased towards Kamala since I'm half pakistani

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
It's not landing on "Kamala is kind of bleh" that stands out. Whatever. It's the dismissiveness, the complete indifference to what it means to spotlight a Pakistani Muslim character in this kind of game, the weirdness of focusing on "we don't know her tho" when 1) a fresh face in a collection of incredibly overexposed faces is one of the few things that makes this game interesting at all and 2) they explicitly said in the video that the Girlfriend doesn't care about Marvel characters anyway.

I can already see the "criticizing this channel is so unfashionable and silly" people zooming in on one especially suspicious post to make a pattern out of everyone expressing disagreement with this point in the video, but no, I don't think this implies that they're white nationalists or anything. It just reinforces that this channel is speaking from a perspective that often completely misses the spot for me.
I blame the advertising of the game focused on the MCU characters (which contributed to everyone making fun of the character models) and hardcore marvel fans now mean hardcore MCU fans

Yeah I'm agreeing with Nerokis on this. First, she plays the "clueless girlfriend" schtick, that his boyfriend is "the gamer" and the "Marvel fanboy" and then proceeds to trash Kamala? I can't blame the marketing because I think the game itself made a great job showcasing Kamala as an American Pakistani teenager, and while I have many problems with this game's marketing, are they talking about the game here or it's marketing campaign? Claiming that "she doesn't know her" sounds awfully like an excuse and it's just off putting, imho.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
The core gameplay is super fun, but the bugs make it insanely frustrating to play. This would be GOTY caliber if they had all the bugs fixed / systems working correctly.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how low tier Iron Man was until the movies.
Iron Man is weird, in the fact that he seemed to be more popular outside of comics during the 90s and 2000s. Or if not popular, he was certainly in enough cartoons and games to be a household name, and him being around for like 40 odd years is a lot different than Kamala, who is only a 7 year old character who has never really headlined anything outside of comics before.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I don't expect people to be Kamala experts or anything (I'm certainly not). The "we want MCU characters!!" attitude just turns me off on multiple levels. Like, how did the MCU come to be this big, expansive universe? Through adding unfamiliar characters. And in a world where, a decade later, the MCU has stacked up a million character roster just to land on a barely interrupted expanse of white, heterosexual, and male, how do we come to a version of that with more diversity? Again, through adding unfamiliar characters.

This attitude where someone showcases a reflexive resistance to unfamiliar characters like Kamala getting the spotlight while ranting about the lack of an Iron Man game of all things just strikes me as so disappointing...especially when it's coming from a channel with over a million subs. It's a side of nerd discourse that does nothing for me, and when the video itself makes the point that games with unfamiliar characters are perfectly lovable, it feels like replacing imagination with fandom nonsense in the worst way.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Yeah, I don't expect people to be Kamala experts or anything (I'm certainly not). The "we want MCU characters!!" attitude just turns me off on multiple levels. Like, how did the MCU come to be this big, expansive universe? Through adding unfamiliar characters. And in a world where, a decade later, the MCU has stacked up a million character roster just to land on a barely interrupted expanse of white, heterosexual, and male, how do we come to a version of that with more diversity? Again, through adding unfamiliar characters.

This attitude where someone showcases a reflexive resistance to unfamiliar characters like Kamala getting the spotlight while ranting about the lack of an Iron Man game of all things just strikes me as so disappointing...especially when it's coming from a channel with over a million subs. It's a side of nerd discourse that does nothing for me, and when the video itself makes the point that games with unfamiliar characters are perfectly lovable, it feels like replacing imagination with fandom nonsense in the worst way.

welcome to a lot of nerd fandom

soon we'll see more of "who the fuck is Nova/Moon Knight/whoever, where's Ant-man?!"

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The general public would have zero clue who Kamala is. Seeing an Avengers game is out on their console of choice, buying it then playing only to find out they can't be their favorite character from the movies is a massive turn off. Not because Kamala sucks. She's just not known to most people. It's completely understandable and I don't see how people don't get this.
Yep

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you are comparing the average reviews score to the the % of people who liked it on Steam. That's like people that say a 68 on RT means the movie got is a 68. 70% of 7k reviews liking a game is good. Overwhelmingly positive isn't that common and the next best thing is Mostly positive. There is no "mixed" classification when you look up the game.

I'm not gonna go back and for anymore with you though because you are arguing that a Mostly Positive score on Steam is not good and that's just not something I'll ever agree with you on.
70% is normally ok, but the game started at 78% when the first 2000 reviews or so came in.

Dropping to 70% after a week of additional reviews is pretty bad, especially when the reasons for that appears to still exist and will very likely drag the game down to Mixed territory soon.

never

Oct 28, 2017
This game is a complete buggy mess, but I really love smashing things as the Hulk. It's definitely on the fun side of bad.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Yeah I'm agreeing with Nerokis on this. First, she plays the "clueless girlfriend" schtick, that his boyfriend is "the gamer" and the "Marvel fanboy" and then proceeds to trash Kamala? I can't blame the marketing because I think the game itself made a great job showcasing Kamala as an American Pakistani teenager, and while I have many problems with this game's marketing, are they talking about the game here or it's marketing campaign? Claiming that "she doesn't know her" sounds awfully like an excuse and it's just off putting, imho.

You guys need to stop coming up with conspiracy theories.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
I know the game is glitchy, but I frighten love it, I've basically dedicated an early morning play time for it everyday

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I think girlfriend reviews completely discredited itself with this review. Kamala hate was uncalled for because it was the best part of the game and saying "people came for avengers not some unknown" sounds a lot like comicgate stuff to me. MY EYEBROW IS RAISED.

My wife has watched nearly all of the MCU movies with me. She has no idea who Kamala is. The only reason I do is b/c I read a lot on the internet about comics, not actually reading comics. And I just know she exists, I know next to nothing about her. It's not unreasonable.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My wife has watched nearly all of the MCU movies with me. She has no idea who Kamala is. The only reason I do is b/c I read a lot on the internet about comics, not actually reading comics. And I just know she exists, I know next to nothing about her. It's not unreasonable.

Well then you & your wife can see this as your first proper look at her before the Disney+ series (which hopefully gets upgraded to a movie).

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

In the story you play with all of them though... I think I actually spent most of the campaign as Iron Man so weird complaint there. You can tell who didn't play the game and is just looking for confirmation bias from their review.

Kamala being here is huge for representation.

First time I've ever played with a Female Muslim Teenager in a game and I thought it was done well.

It was cool to hear the terms of endearment used between her and her dad. Her being an Avengers nerd was kind of corny though. I think what the MCU did with Spidey being an Avengers fanboy was executed a bit better.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
They literally surround Kamala with the Avengers & specifically hide her behind Captain America on the box art and some of you are really going to die on this hill that people are wrong for being mad the game titled Avengers has you spending a hefty chunk of the game as not an Avenger. This is the fault of Square's marketing of this game; not anyone playing the game.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest gripe with Kamala is that the transition between A-Day to her jumping around on rooftops fleeing robots is instantaneous. I want that transition between not having any powers to experiencing them for the first time.

That's kind of hard to do when the time gap between A-day and the events of the campaign is a 5 year span. Id figure its mostly just Kamala as a pre-teen hiding her powers for 5 years. I think what we got was good. Although not going to lie I do wish they would have found a way to get more of Kamala and her Dad on screen together more.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will say its weird that Shelby is seemingly mad the game doesn't have classic Avengers characters when she says she has no connection to them anyway

The video spent way too much time shitting on Kamala instead of the shit game loop

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I will say its weird that Shelby is seemingly mad the game doesn't have classic Avengers characters when she says she has no connection to them anyway

The video spent way too much time shitting on Kamala instead of the shit game loop

The one thing I find about their reviews, is that it often feels like they stop halfway and leave a lot out.
I enjoy them of course, I just want more.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
Kamala's initial thing was that she was a Pakistani Muslim Marvel Universe/Avengers teenage fangirl that got super powers and took after her idol Captain Marvel. I started reading her comics because, after years of "same" in comics this was super refreshing. Here was a new characters coming from a background I knew absolutely nothing about. Through her books it introduced me to a part of current America that I didn't know anything about. The books continued to be fascinating because they maintained these new perspectives that hadn't existed in comics at the time. There was a whole storyline where she's trying to rescue a bunch of kids from her school that have disappeared and
the kids willingly signed up with a mad scientist super-villain to become living batteries as a jobs because society was telling them over and over how they don't contribute, leech off everything, and the world is ruined so this was the only means they saw to give back and see immediate return.
. This is a story that worked because it focused on the feelings of kids today and it wouldn't have played as well with Spider-Man, Iron Man, or any of the Avengers.

Kamala's also been in the Avengers cartoon for about half its run and was in the Marvel Rising run made for preteens on YouTube and is one of the big poster children for Marvel Super Hero Adventures for kids. The only reason people DON'T know her is because she's not in the MCU yet. Which I can understand being a bit confused by if this was an MCU game, but it's not. It's a self contained thing. I can't fathom what'll happen as they introduce Kate Bishop and some of the other rumored characters. Even casual fans are getting deep pulls as the MCU reaches out more. Eternals is fairly obscure in Marvel and they don't really come up that often. I guess they better not see that because Iron Man's not in it? The idea that you'd turn your nose up at a different character/perspective is just shutting yourself off from great experiences in the future.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
the thing is, you get hulk in your second mission, and iron man shortly after - so it's hard to feel like you've been shortchanged unless Cap, Thor, and Widow are the linchpins for you, which im willing to bet they're not for most people. Them being unlocks through the progression of the campaign is a nice incentive though as you quickly become acquainted with the move list of hulk, Tony, and Kamala

I get the Kamala being the main driver of the campaign complaint but as an avenue to "assemble" the avengers, it just works.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The Kamala Slander........
Yea... That was pretty weird and uncalled for imo.

The game has a ton of problems. If you follow the Avengers OT or just look at my post history you'd see that I've ran into a lot of said problems and bugs, so I think this game deserves a lot of the criticism that it's getting, but to hate on Kamala as much as they did, especially after saying that the GF doesn't even know these Marvel characters.... Eh, idk about that.

Ms. Marvel is probably one of the best things about the campaign and what made the story work for me.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not really if the only exposure to the Avengers you have is the MCU
Folks are adversed to new characters in the same thing that gifted the world Ego The Living Planet, Krugarr, and Rocket Raccoon?

Like going to your favorite bar and being mad they still doing what made you their favorite

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Ms. Marvel > all the other jobbers.

I have next-to-no interest in this game itself (for various reasons) but one of the very few things I was happy about was her seemingly prominent inclusion. <3

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How is the combat poor? This is the part Im confused on. Every character has a bunch of variety with answers to just about any problem and it's fast and fluid with plenty of ways to mix things up on the fly.

I honestly feel like a lot of those opinions are just from people who take the various hot takes at face value.
Anyone who puts some time into the various characters will know that the core combat loop feels great and is easily one of the highlights of the game.

You do gotta have a tolerance for repetition though, and I guess that is where being an older gamer has its advantages.
I go into a game like this with the same mind set that I used to play Streets of Rage or Captain America and The Avengers.
As long as the action is fun, I really don't mind doing the same missions and beating up the same robots over and over.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Folks are adversed to new characters in the same thing that gifted the world Ego The Living Planet, Krugarr, and Rocket Raccoon?

Like going to your favorite bar and being mad they still doing what made you their favorite

People knew going into GotG that they were going to see new characters, not the Avengers. A lot of people went into this thinking they would see the crew they have seen on the screen.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
They never advertised this as a movie tie in game.
I mean the fact that outside of Kamala and Hawkeye absence the same roster is the same as the movie, the name being simply "The Avengers" making it seem that is a tie-in, in fact one of the main complaints since the reveal is that they are too close to the movie versions

Last edited:

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like a lot of those opinions are just from people who take the various hot takes at face value.
Anyone who puts some time into the various characters will know that the core combat loop feels great and is easily one of the highlights of the game.

You do gotta have a tolerance for repetition though, and I guess that is where being an older gamer has its advantages.
I go into a game like this with the same mind set that I used to play Streets of Rage or Captain America and The Avengers.
As long as the action is fun, I really don't mind doing the same missions and beating up the same robots over and over.
I mean it keeps coming back to the fact that it's utterly baffling this game tried to present itself as completely different games to very different audiences.

Like this game from its initial marketing to even how it initially presents itself when you start it up for the first time, seemingly makes the promise that its campaign will be a standalone mode where you don't have to engage with the looter RPG grind aspects of it and then proceeds to break that promise (because actually trying to do that would be the equivalent of making two different video games), so people who were attracted by the "You don't have to engage with the looter part that much, honest" parts of the marketing are now very angry for finding out that they do have to engage with it.

Add in the fact that a large chunk of what they wanted to do in the game is locked behind that element, like for instance the common complaint of "why does Hulk suck so much when I try to do Hulk-y things" is explained by a good chunk of the Hulk's moveset being stuff you need to grind XP for.

This is not an actual satisfactory explanation to someone who was hoping to avoid the grind part. It in fact, generally makes their reaction much worse in my experience so far.

It's a looter game that seemed to be ashamed of admitting it was a looter game until its final weeks before release, so now we're stuck with a game that's woefully inadequate for the looting part once you get past the initial bits but is also woefully inadequate for people who weren't hoping it needed to be played like a looter game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The dismissal of Kamala is the exact same talking points that comicsgate folk used when she became an Avenger in the comics. Real bad look.

No, this is ridiculous.

Getting legitimately angry at someone having a negative opinion on Kamala and comparing it to "comicsgate" is crazy. They aren't complaining about diversity or having a female protagonist. Trying to tie it into some alt-right racist and sexist hate group is way too much.

It's okay for someone to have a different opinion. I love Kamala but I fully understand how others could be annoyed by her "fangirl" personality in the game and be disappointed that she's the main character in a game titled The Avengers with a roster almost identical to the core team from the MCU.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna speak for anyone else but for me the issue has less to do with them shitting on Kamala and more to do with the fact that they failed to go beyond their initial reaction of "who the heck is this I wanna play Thor" and realise that "oh hey this is actually a really interesting, diverse character that deserves the spotlight".

They're obviously not alt-right, that claim is absurd, but they're clearly of a frame of mind that is ignorant to the importance of representation, otherwise they would've spoken to it.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
They never advertised this as a movie tie in game.

That doesn't really matter. A lot of people, all they know is the MCU. So they see Avengers, they think MCU Avengers.

I don't wanna speak for anyone else but for me the issue has less to do with them shitting on Kamala and more to do with the fact that they failed to go beyond their initial reaction of "who the heck is this I wanna play Thor" and realise that "oh hey this is actually a really interesting, diverse character that deserves the spotlight".

They're obviously not alt-right, that claim is absurd, but they're clearly of a frame of mind that is ignorant to the importance of representation, otherwise they would've spoken to it.

They spend a very small amount of the time talking about the characters in general. Most of the video is complaints about the gameplay.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really matter. A lot of people, all they know is the MCU. So they see Avengers, they think MCU Avengers.
Okay? It's a different form of media, I don't really know what you want me to say here. It's just as dumb to flip open any comic book and expect that same line up.

Anyways this point of the review is pretty corny.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean it keeps coming back to the fact that it's utterly baffling this game tried to present itself as completely different games to very different audiences.

Like this game from its initial marketing to even how it initially presents itself when you start it up for the first time, seemingly makes the promise that its campaign will be a standalone mode where you don't have to engage with the looter RPG grind aspects of it and then proceeds to break that promise (because actually trying to do that would be the equivalent of making two different video games), so people who were attracted by the "You don't have to engage with the looter part that much, honest" parts of the marketing are now very angry for finding out that they do have to engage with it.

Add in the fact that a large chunk of what they wanted to do in the game is locked behind that element, like for instance the common complaint of "why does Hulk suck so much when I try to do Hulk-y things" is explained by a good chunk of the Hulk's moveset being stuff you need to grind XP for.

This is not an actual satisfactory explanation to someone who was hoping to avoid the grind part. It in fact, generally makes their reaction much worse in my experience so far.

It's a looter game that seemed to be ashamed of admitting it was a looter game until its final weeks before release, so now we're stuck with a game that's woefully inadequate for the looting part once you get past the initial bits but is also woefully inadequate for people who weren't hoping it needed to be played like a looter game.

I was mostly addressing the idea that the core combat gameplay is poor. I can definitely see why people would not like some of the grind inherent in the
game design, but I feel like it was always marketed as an Action RPG beat-em-up hybrid so stuff like Skill trees and XP just come with the territory.
I don't feel like I had to interact with those aspects much during the campaign either though. The campaign keeps you switching between characters so often that it almost feels impossible to grind a specific one.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020

This.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
They literally surround Kamala with the Avengers & specifically hide her behind Captain America on the box art and some of you are really going to die on this hill that people are wrong for being mad the game titled Avengers has you spending a hefty chunk of the game as not an Avenger. This is the fault of Square's marketing of this game; not anyone playing the game.

Well, yes. Pretty sure the issue brought up in the video wasn't "false marketing" or whatever, for one thing, and their specific reasoning is one of the points of disagreement here. For another, even putting aside that these are people who review games for a living and are likely to have as expansive a view of the industry as most anyone here, SE's marketing of the game being pretty bad is hardly such a massive problem that you should suddenly lose the ability to at least appreciate that there are meaningful dimensions to Kamala being spotlighted.

Thinking that it's a shame for such a massive channel to come at this with this sort of narrow, close-minded, Bad Nerd Culture perspectiva strikes me less as "choosing to die on a hill" and more "having some pretty basic standards."

100%

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Only that Hulk isn't almost unkillable, because well its still a game (but you can make him super fucking sturdy).

I do think there's a lot you could do that they didn't to make Hulk "feel" more Hulk-y. Like just making it so you're immune to ranged attacks while running in the direction of the enemy firing them, for instance. That should be Hulk's "defense" against projectiles: running straight at the person shooting him.

You just kind of have to say, "What kind of gameplay are we trying to encourage as Hulk?" and build around that; instead it feels a bit like they worked from the opposite direction, saying, "How can we make the gameplay we already encourage feel more like Hulk?" It doesn't work great as a result.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I've played like three hours of the game and have no desire to play any more of it. It's just so...bland

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Well, yes. Pretty sure the issue brought up in the video wasn't "false marketing" or whatever, for one thing, and their specific reasoning is one of the points of disagreement here. For another, even putting aside that these are people who review games for a living and are likely to have as expansive a view of the industry as most anyone here, SE's marketing of the game being pretty bad is hardly such a massive problem that you should suddenly lose the ability to at least appreciate that there are meaningful dimensions to Kamala being spotlighted.

Thinking that it's a shame for such a massive channel to come at this with this sort of narrow, close-minded, Bad Nerd Culture perspectiva strikes me less as "choosing to die on a hill" and more "having some pretty basic standards."
They wanted to play Avengers as the Avengers. And for a lot of the game they weren't playing as the Avengers. That's the whole complaint. Again, SE marketed Kamala terribly. I watched all the war tables and trailers. If I wasn't already a Kamala fan there's no chance I'd know by watching those videos.

It's easy for them to assume you know the rest of the characters, given their relevance in pop culture. They should've been hammering home how awesome and important Kamala is from June 2019 to now. But they didn't, and we know why they didn't.

Put it this way: imagine playing Spider-Man Miles Morales and you start as Miles for the first 10minutes of the game. Then for the next 3 hours you're Peter Parker trying to talk Miles into being Spider-Man. How annoying would that be? And that's the most recognizable superhero on the planet. Most people don't know Ms. Marvel.

We can agree to disagree, but I think you're making this out to be more than it is.

Also this is a minor thing, but this bit:
even putting aside that these are people who review games for a living and are likely to have as expansive a view of the industry as most anyone here
shouldn't be assumed about anyone. Their whole shtick is that she doesn't know a lot about games, doesn't really play many games, and watches her boyfriend play. There are people who have been in this industry their entire post-college lives, do real reporting, have insider information, and still go on podcasts and get shit wrong or don't know things we all know.

Edit: Apologies for the paragraphs. Just wanted to be thorough in my explanation.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Also this is a minor thing, but this bit:

shouldn't be assumed about anyone. Their whole shtick is that she doesn't know a lot about games, doesn't really play many games, and watches her boyfriend play. There are people who have been in this industry their entire post-college lives, do real reporting, have insider information, and still go on podcasts and get shit wrong or don't know things we all know.
That's their "shtick" but aren't all these written by the boyfriend who is the one that is quite knowledgeable about games and just writes this sort of "girlfriend script"? Or has that changed with their later videos?