• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The singleplayer portions of the campaign are great, but the shoehorned it parts designed to get you ready for multiplayer are ass. Kamala is also pretty decent, but I completely understand people who wanted the play as "The Avengers" being upset that 80% of the campaign is her.

The amount of disinformation surrounding the commentary of this game is maddening.

You're a huge part of that.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
IDK how anyone can complain that there's too much Kamala when you get to play as multiple other characters pretty quickly. The boring parts where you have to slowly walk around as her are no different than the boring parts where you have to slowly walk around as the other characters either.

That said, my disappointment with her is the same as the rest of the cast - the writing is horrible. Kamala does nothing that we haven't seen the generic "kid who idolizes a hero that's given up" archetype do in a million movies before, and the others are equally cliched and uninteresting.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
How is the combat poor? This is the part Im confused on. Every character has a bunch of variety with answers to just about any problem and it's fast and fluid with plenty of ways to mix things up on the fly.
Well one I disagree about calling it "fluid" - I don't think any of the characters feel good to play. And regardless of the variety of different moves that become available as you unlock more of the skill tree, I don't think the game incentivizes you to use those abilities, or otherwise play the game in a fun way. The way the enemy AI behaves, the types and amounts of enemies they throw into any given combat encounter, the lack of meaningful enemy variety, and the types of objectives that the game asks of the player, all combine to promote strategies that are more efficient but also boring and repetitive.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
You're a huge part of that.

What do you mean? Are you trying to pigeonhole on me the disproportionate hate this game gets from some here? GTFO with this bullshit.

As for the topic at hand, I think io9's article on this game that was also out today is the perfect antithesis to the video's op and the whole Kamala non-sense:

Marvel's Avengers would've been a lesser story if, like its back half, it leaned a little too much into the grand scale and epic team-uppery that comes as part and parcel of an experience with this group of characters. But the powerful choice of not just framing the road to that grand action through Kamala's eyes, but also really anchoring her lens into the team through Bruce, makes that scale feel earned, for once.

Bricktop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Hostility, numerous past infractions for hostility
What do you mean? Are you trying to pigeonhole on me the disproportionate hate this game gets from some here? GTFO with this bullshit.

No, you're completely the opposite. You're disproportionate love fest for this game and willingness the defend it to the death, even for aspects you have no clue about, is just as bad as people irrationally hating it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
They seriously trying to come at Kamala?

One of the best Marvel characters of the last twenty years.

WY4PMmj.png

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
User Banned (1 Day) / Thread Banned (3 Days): Hostility
No, you're completely the opposite. You're disproportionate love fest for this game and willingness the defend it to the death, even for aspects you have no clue about, is just as bad as people irrationally hating it.

GTFO with your guilty trip bullshit and making this personal. Fuck you.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
her comment sounds like something someone who only watched the movies would say.

I pretty much only watch the movies and have a very mild knowledge of the none mainline comics. I hope people won't start insinuating that only comic book fans like Kamala because I think that's a stupid take. Her comics aren't widely read even among comic book fans from what I understand. She's pretty new to a lot of people and she's great in this game.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well one I disagree about calling it "fluid" - I don't think any of the characters feel good to play. And regardless of the variety of different moves that become available as you unlock more of the skill tree, I don't think the game incentivizes you to use those abilities, or otherwise play the game in a fun way. The way the enemy AI behaves, the types and amounts of enemies they throw into any given combat encounter, the lack of meaningful enemy variety, and the types of objectives that the game asks of the player, all combine to promote strategies that are more efficient but also boring and repetitive.

Don't know what to say, been farming end game for a long while now styling on dudes and clearing out waves quickly. From all the post Ive seen from you, it sounded like you dropped it shortly after the campaign was over from the sound of it. Like the game has a bunch of problems, the combat is not one of them it sounds like it just didn't click for you.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
The Kamala hate is pretty strange considering the main complain is "I don't know her and she's annoying" when her boyfriend is supposed to be a Marvel fanatic.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
This looks like a dull generic story with dull story and dialogue moments. How come story and campaign were praised in reviews lol? I am never touching this turd.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lmao the insinuations being made

the channel is now an insidious op by the bf using his gf as a mouthpiece
I remember the channel being eyed for incredible minor reasons since it started. That all went away around the time of the Last of us review but I guess we're back at it.

I haven't played the game but I don't find it that hard to imagine that not everyone is on board with a quirky fangirl protagonist.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody get this girl a Marvel Unlimited subscription and 500mg of Wilson's Ms. Marvel STAT.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
My copy was free thanks to the Verizon Rewards program and I'm barely able to finish. Got to the "final" SP campaign mission yesterday, still have a bunch of side optional missings and the final mission to play. I am not impressed at all. Kamala is fine, everyone else is pretty boring or basically has no story, the "levels" are generic and boring as hell, I find the combat more frustrating than fun, the "bosses" are absolutely atrocious (and boring), and the number of currencies and counters and grinds and other crap in this game is off the charts. if I paid for the game i'd be pissed, as it is even for free I can barely muster the interest to finish. 15 minutes into every session I find myself wanting to start up Tony Hawk 1+2.

For a simple example, I started playing a certain hero late in the game yesterday. There are mission levels where there are destructible walls that have treasure chests behind them. The hero I had, which the game forced me to play the level as, cannot break walls. 2 of the 6 heroes apparently cannot break walls. I googled, looked at some youtube videos, maybe I needed to invest a skill point? Nope, my character can't do it. What the fuck is this shit.

The game clearly keeps pointing you at "there is a massive grind at endgame, thats where the REAL fun is!!" but whats the point if I honestly want to uninstall the game before I even get to the endgame. For reference, I completely enjoyed Destiny 1 & 2, Division 1 & 2, most of the call of duties, fortnite, etc so can sink my teeth into any loot-grind. Oh well, at least this thread reminded me I need to finish the game.

Bricktop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTFO with your guilty trip bullshit and making this personal. Fuck you.
It's not personal. You just have an attachment to this game like I've never seen and an extreme desire to deflect any and all criticism. Why are you so invested in this game?

Anyway, other than Kamala part I can't disagree with this video. And they didn't even touch the multiplayer, which is far and away the worst part of this broken game.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a dull generic story with dull story and dialogue moments. How come story and campaign were praised in reviews lol? I am never touching this turd.
I saw a few reviews/tweets from people whose opinions I trust that praised the single player of this right before launch. It's what made me think I'd dig at least one aspect of it and I bought it. It is generic and predictable as fuck and the game is completely unfun. First buyers remorse in a while.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They seriously trying to come at Kamala?

One of the best Marvel characters of the last twenty years.
I think the fact that she is the embodiement of the gushing and fawning fans have over the Avengers and Co. as a canonical figure, is both a strength and a detriment. It feels very meta to me, and at worst it parodies how self-impressed Marvel can be with itself.

Bricktop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the fact that she is the embodiement of the gushing and fawning fans have over the Avengers and Co. as a canonical figure, is both a strength and a detriment. It feels very meta to me, and at worst it parodies how self-impressed Marvel can be with itself.

She's actually pretty good in the story. Her fangirl approach actually made her really endearing. The problem is, the Average casual Marvel fan probably doesn't know much about her and would rather be playing the people they do know. I think it's less about her and more about expectations.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The general public would have zero clue who Kamala is. Seeing an Avengers game is out on their console of choice, buying it then playing only to find out they can't be their favorite character from the movies is a massive turn off. Not because Kamala sucks. She's just not known to most people. It's completely understandable and I don't see how people don't get this.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the campaign. Now to try multi... i hope.

Watched someone stream 4 hours of the PS4 version and they crashed maybe twice and had like zero slow down. I can't play more than an hour on PC without a crash and random slow downs is constant

Last edited:

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Using Ms. Marvel as an audience surrogate to drive the narrative is the best decision they made. What a weird thing to harp on.

The rest of the criticism is reasonable at least. The presentation is silly if not puerile but that seems to be what they're going for.

Bricktop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the campaign. Now to try multi... i hope.

Watched someone stream 4 hours of the PS4 version and they crashed maybe twice and had like zero slow down. I can't play more than an hour without a crash and random slow downs is constant

It's random as hell. On the X it plays perfect one minute and the next it's a slideshow. I've also hardlocked multiple times. The game was clearly designed for next gen and this is the beta test.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
It's not personal. You just have an attachment to this game like I've never seen and an extreme desire to deflect any and all criticism. Why are you so invested in this game?

This is one the first games that I've talked about here on Era, and I am as much invested in the game as I am with others that I enjoy. The Last of Us Part II to me is a masterpiece that I don't talk as much because I'm still playing through the campaign. It's a masterpiece, but with hard themes that I'm kinda taking my time with it, and I enjoy this game for the combat mechanics and how much heart the story has, despite its flaws.

I've talked at length about several grievances I have with this game, me enjoying and giving my two cents on it isn't a source of disinformation, you are making this weird about how much you are centering around my take on the game. Once again, fuck trying to single out my enjoyment of this.

It's a flawed game, but it's easily among my favorite gaming experiences this year. I'm not here to fight strangers that single me out for no good reason whatsoever.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
I think girlfriend reviews completely discredited itself with this review. Kamala hate was uncalled for because it was the best part of the game and saying "people came for avengers not some unknown" sounds a lot like comicgate stuff to me. MY EYEBROW IS RAISED.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I should just break my cycle for this channel and set all threads with them on ignore automatically from now on:
Video comes out, I watch it because people are finding it good
I watch it and am immediately turned off by the lowest common denominator YouTube "humor" and jabs and presentation
I skip a video or two then come back to see if anything has changed
Repeat cycle

Yes, people are liking or not liking the game. It seems hot or cold more than most big releases.
*cut to something unrelated*
Yeah this thing is *pithy joke and another cut to a sound effect on something unrelated*
ad naseum

I think girlfriend reviews completely discredited itself with this review. Kamala hate was uncalled for because it was the best part of the game and saying "people came for avengers not some unknown" sounds a lot like comicgate stuff to me. MY EYEBROW IS RAISED.
Particularly when she made it a "point" that she isn't familiar with any of them to begin with (supposedly) even though we've all been pretty bombarded with Marvel stuff for the past 12 years. Either it's a hollow fib or she managed media escape for popular things beyond even my capabilities.

Nov 1, 2017
The campaign is stuck in a weird middle ground of wanting to be a Kamala game but also wanting to be an Avengers team beat-'em-up. Committing to either direction would've given the game a focus it lacks, I think.

(Basically, I wanted more Kamala and more relationship with her dad, less "check in on what A-list characters are up to" stuff, and I'm someone who hasn't picked up a comic book since I was 10)

Bricktop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To the casual Marvel fan she is unknown. You don't see how people buying an "Avengers" game might be upset they spend most of their time playing someone they've never heard of? Someone coming from just the MCU wouldn't even know who she is.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

It discredited itself because they didn't like Ms Marvel as much as other people did?

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I'm completely uninterested in this game because I wanted a GTAV-esque story, switching between different heroes and doing cool stuff with the characters from the movies I've liked, and not wanting to play as some hero I've literally never heard of.

People are saying this is a bad take? What? And I'm a bad person for it???
I can assure you that 90% of people who want a "Marvel's The Avengers" video game want the same.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Seemed like a good video to me, other than not liking Kamala that much (which doesn't seem THAT crazy; I like stretchy powers, but I can totally understand people thinking it's goofy or stupid), all of their criticisms match what a lot of reviews have said and even user impressions on here.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Great game and I'm glad the audience likes it judging by Steam reviews and Reddit posts.
What reddit posts? last i saw most people dislike it there unless you mean the Subreddit of the game in which case it doesn't mean much since you could say the same with No Man Sky at the beginning and everyone knows how that turned out

Damn, I had completely forgot to check out the Steam reviews and they are actually pretty good.

Pretty sure only 70% are positive which fits with reviews, so not pretty good

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
I kept going back and forth on this game.... would I buy it or not? I'm not a fan of GaaS gameplay but I do like the avengers. Finding out that you spent the single player mostly as this Khamala lady and not the avengers? Thats a bit disapointing. I'm sure she's fine but you've got the damn avengers licensed here!!!

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Guys, Kamala is awesome in my eyes but I could see how her character gets grating especially since this game advertised the avengers. not liking her doesn't make you a shitty person

also, she's great but everyone else sucked so she looks better

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I went with my gut on this game. Even from the beta I could sense it was trash tier Gameplay.

But the gameplay is good, that's literally one of the more common positive aspects even in the less than stellar reviews, story being the other positive. This game has good gameplay and story, but bad level design and lots of bugs.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how considering that is one percent of being classified Mixed

I don't know why you are comparing the average reviews score to the the % of people who liked it on Steam. That's like people that say a 68 on RT means the movie got is a 68. 70% of 7k reviews liking a game is good. Overwhelmingly positive isn't that common and the next best thing is Mostly positive. There is no "mixed" classification when you look up the game.

I'm not gonna go back and for anymore with you though because you are arguing that a Mostly Positive score on Steam is not good and that's just not something I'll ever agree with you on.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, Kamala is awesome in my eyes but I could see how her character gets grating especially since this game advertised the avengers. not liking her doesn't make you a shitty person

also, she's great but everyone else sucked so she looks better

It's not landing on "Kamala is kind of bleh" that stands out. Whatever. It's the dismissiveness, the complete indifference to what it means to spotlight a Pakistani Muslim character in this kind of game, the weirdness of focusing on "we don't know her tho" when 1) a fresh face in a collection of incredibly overexposed faces is one of the few things that makes this game interesting at all and 2) they explicitly said in the video that the Girlfriend doesn't care about Marvel characters anyway.

I can already see the "criticizing this channel is so unfashionable and silly" people zooming in on one especially suspicious post to make a pattern out of everyone expressing disagreement with this point in the video, but no, I don't think this implies that they're white nationalists or anything. It just reinforces that this channel is speaking from a perspective that often completely misses the spot for me.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Shelby went in on this game lol. And yeah, I don't agree with dissing Kamala but from someone with no knowledge of the comics like she is, I could see the position of wanting to be the MCU-featured characters.