• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm this being quick easy in and out like missions and gameplay makes it more appealing to me. I kinda wanted something to hit that itch that the old Marvel Heroes (Diablo clone) gave where I could just jump into areas and bust some heads.

I would just hope they support this well with adding new areas and content on a regular basis
Hoping on ps5 it's sat on the main UI and allows jumping straight into dalies or whatever with near instant loading it'll be a lot less hassle popping in and out.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Got my beta pre-loaded on PS4. Ready to jump in tomorrow.

Any good YT videos out there with impressions of the beta that I can watch?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got my beta Key from my Best buy order. Pre-loaded it last night and ready to go!

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I cannot blame people for being confused, this has been a tale of two games since reveal: the Tomb Raider-esque single-player adventure they kept marketing, and the Destiny-esque multiplayer hero looter RPG that was being shuffled in the background.
Of course not. It was very clearly communicated misleadingly from the start, they took a LOT of effort keeping the GAAS/Destiny/Anthem mechanics under wraps, even when people specifically asked for more information on it. When asked, they only barely mentioned the actual mechanics and immediately went for the "omg you can throw shields and fly in armor" angle again.

They want people to think this is the next single player/multiplayer Spider-Man-like 3rd person story focused action game, they only moved towards loot and repetitiveness and grind towards the very last showings at all.

There's absolutely no doubt in me that this will release with WAY too little content and WAY too many MTX to not have a gigantic backlash from players who were intentionally misled.

someone better than me really should create a "PSA: The Avengers game will be an Anthem-Style GAAS" topic with screens from menus and its 40 currencies and weekly-changing, overpriced cosmetics store n shit.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. It was very clearly communicated misleadingly from the start, they took a LOT of effort keeping the GAAS/Destiny/Anthem mechanics under wraps, even when people specifically asked for more information on it. When asked, they only barely mentioned the actual mechanics and immediately went for the "omg you can throw shields and fly in armor" angle again.

They want people to think this is the next single player/multiplayer Spider-Man-like 3rd person story focused action game, they only moved towards loot and repetitiveness and grind towards the very last showings at all.

There's absolutely no doubt in me that this will release with WAY too little content and WAY too many MTX to not have a gigantic backlash from players who were intentionally misled.

someone better than me really should create a "PSA: The Avengers game will be an Anthem-Style GAAS" topic with screens from menus and its 40 currencies and weekly-changing, overpriced cosmetics store n shit.

I genuinely have to wonder why they did this.

If you're marketing it as a traditional AAA single player game then why not just bloody make one then?
And it's not like Destiny clones are unpopular either so why just be upfront in the first place?

It's baffling.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

If you're marketing it as a traditional AAA single player game then why not just bloody make one then?
And it's not like Destiny clones are unpopular either so why just be upfront in the first place?

It's baffling.
I absolutely agree, I couldn't give you any reason.
Maybe because during their time of reveal, the Anthem disaster was still too close, and they didn't want to seem like "another one of those", and from there it took a life on its own? Maybe they just thought a big Spidey-like AAA story action game would be more attractive? Maybe they were afraid people would immediately connect "Gaas" to "Microtransactions and store"?

Beats me, honestly. No clue.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

It's baffling.

But...

Is it going to be a Destiny-like then?

I thought it was going to be a full single player with some added multiplayer content but...it seems its the other way around?

How is the minute to minute gameplay flow then ?

Oct 25, 2017
There's no code if you preorder off PSN. You just download the beta and you're good to go-- that said, I haven't been able to preload the beta yet lol
Lol what y'all doing crystal. My internet good but still

Now I know everybody don't spend their everyday on this forum, hell even if you pop up maybe once every two months I'm a bit confused how you couldn't possibly know what this game is being on this forum

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

It's baffling.

What do you mean? This has a campaign but also a post game grind. That is what Destiny 2 launched with. The feedback on the campaign portion of the demo have been pretty good and it doesn't seem to be phoned in. I think we have to see what the full campaign is like before we determine if it was an afterthought or not.

They also never hid the GaaS element of it at all so people saying they did just weren't paying attention. From day one people were referencing Destiny in relation to this game. We didn't have all the details but we knew there was a loot grind and a story.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? This has a campaign but also a post game grind. That is what Destiny 2 launched with.
The problem comes when you tell people used to games like Spider-Man PS4 that you have a cinematic campaign instead of people used to games like Destiny that you have a cinematic campaign.

I will be genuinely surprised if this game doesn't have a blowup purely due to people running face first into expectations not matching the reality of the game due to prior marketing.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem comes when you tell people used to games like Spider-Man PS4 that you have a cinematic campaign instead of people used to games like Destiny that you have a cinematic campaign.

I will be genuinely surprised if this game doesn't have a blowup purely due to people running face first into expectations not matching the reality of the game due to prior marketing.
Where here? Cuz I promise the casual audience won't blow back anything about an avengers game with story and online with friends.

Oct 24, 2019
Lol what y'all doing crystal. My internet good but still

Now I know everybody don't spend their everyday on this forum, hell even if you pop up maybe once every two months I'm a bit confused how you couldn't possibly know what this game is being on this forum

Speaking of the beta download, it finally popped up for me, pre-loading it now

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Destiny but with Marvel characters seems like the kind of game that mass audiences will eat the fuck up tbh. I think there's a bit of the old Era bubble going on here

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

It's been known for awhile now though, it's not late breaking news. This has been known before we even got the first trailer.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

I don't follow this at all. This was never marketed just a single player game like Spiderman on ps4. It was announced as a GaaS title from the get and the Destiny comparisons were there from the outset. I don't understand where your perception of what this game is came from tbh.

With that said I have heard good things about the Kamala driven story. At least the post bridge stuff in the demo.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny but with Marvel characters seems like the kind of game that mass audiences will eat the fuck up tbh. I think there's a bit of the old Era bubble going on here
I mean, if it was sounding like it was finally going avoid the Destiny problem of launching half-baked, sure.

I'm just not sure if that's actually doable anymore: like I think we're at that point where you have to at least launch like The Division 2 where you have an actual sustained decent product for 30-ish hours so problems with endgame content past that point isn't visible to casual players until enough updates have happened to fix it anyway. Otherwise I think people will just drop it because yeah sure it's Marvel and that'll get people to initially jump in, but if it sounds like it's going go through the same routine of "well you gotta wait a year for the the game to truly be good", I think a lot will just drop it, especially as described with the current mechanics re: hero selection and what not.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's been known for awhile now though, it's not late breaking news. This has been known before we even got the first trailer.
Yeah, I don't understand this. At no point did I think this was a single-player game after the reveal. The loot aspect, etc. has been known for a good while.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Dude, you are aware and I was, and others on Era were. But even by the time of the second announcement there were people here on Era who wouldn't believe it - casual gamers probably still have absolutely no idea about it.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I meant expensive from a development standpoint. I wouldn't call Marvel Heroes a AAA game.

Oh... I wasn't sure where you were coming from there. I thought you meant more expensive for the player. Also ya Marvel Heroes wasn't AAA at all lol. I played it a lot and spent probably too much on it but it was scuffed as fuck.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
I think the misunderstanding of a possible bubble thinking here is to imagine that if this has a 15-20 hours single player campaign with multiplayer elements, people will get "mad" that this isn't like Spider-Man or Arkham. Here's what I think some are missing out:

• The "power fantasy" of a Spider-Man or Batman game are different than an Avengers game. The first two have an inherent aspect of open world patrolling their respective cities, solving crimes, going against their rogue galleries etc. Now the "power fantasy" of an Avengers game is much more cinematic, more linear and blockbuster-esque. It's about getting a feeling of a team, even more so, assembling a team, and that has an implicit multiplayer aspect to it, either with an A.I., real life friends or matchmaking.
  • As someone that rarely plays multiplayer games, I was under the impression that this was a multiplayer game from the very start. And like explained above, it needed to be, since the "power fantasy" here isn't simply a cinematic interactive adventure with the game or an open world that the Avengers patrol New York.
  • Of course, there will be people that will play this as a "single player" campaign and call it a day after the single player campaign is over, eventually going back to play with the new heroes and events, very much like it happens with every other GaaS, but unlike Destiny, these are the Avengers. Of course that as long the loot is good and they keep cool events going, the player base will be naturally huge. What I'm saying is, this doesn't need to have 40 hours (TLOU2) or even 30 hours (Spidey) of single player gameplay to break out. The multiplayer aspect is intrinsic to the very nature of a game centered on a team of Avengers, and as long as they keep the player base occupied, this will make a shitload of money and keep chugging along content for,the years to come.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the scruffiness was part of the charm of Marvel Heroes. I put an ungodly amount of time and money into that thing (1700+ hours, I never had the guts to check how much money) and completely burned myself out on it, but I still felt a pang when someone posted a screenshot a few pages ago (with a high end GoK!).

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
But...

Is it going to be a Destiny-like then?

I thought it was going to be a full single player with some added multiplayer content but...it seems its the other way around?

How is the minute to minute gameplay flow then ?

From what i can gather its a destiny like but if you are playing solo you have AI partners so more like Mass Effect in that regard.

Think of it as Mass Effect like (but a brawler) but your friends can join in and play alongside you as other characters if they want to

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, this is a GaaS title? Nah, I'm good. Another GaaS game is not what I want. I love the avengers but I think I'm good. Everything looks so generic. If you have a comic property do something dynamic with the art and assets. Not this.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
RoninChaos Ya, it's a Gaas as gaas can be :)

I love how people in the other thread went all like "No way, everyone and their mums know this is a Gaas, it was made clear from the start, this is surprising no one" when even half of Era doesn't know a few weeks before release.

Marketing is no joke lol.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
RoninChaos Ya, it's a Gaas as gaas can be :)

I love how people in the other thread went all like "No way, everyone and their mums know this is a Gaas, it was made clear from the start, this is surprising no one" when even half of Era doesn't know a few weeks before release.

Marketing is no joke lol.
To be fair, I haven't paid much attention to this cause of everything else going on, and I'm on an enthusiast forum. I'm sure there will be a bunch of people screaming "HOW DID YOU NOT KNOW" but I didn't. I don't imagine I'm the only person who missed that. Maybe I'm an outlier. I dunno.