• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, that would indeed be a fix. That's literally what he was talking about.

Marvel's Avengers hasn't come up with something new in terms online games. These are common and acknowledged issues, and they should probably be pointed out ahead of time to get those fixers in, rather than downplaying them due to whatever reason. Downplaying leads to problems. It leads to Anthems. It leads to The Division 2 having to add raid matchmaking after the fact, following the community saying for months, "Hey, we're going to need raid matchmaking, regardless of your developer intentions".

I also in an interview with CD, pointed out a problem with team comps. Experience, leveling, and gear isn't shared between your characters. If you're a Widow main, and you join a group where there is already a Widow player, you have to choose one of your other characters, who is probably not as high-level. It'd be like if WoW said, "Hey, there's already a Mage in this group. So you need to switch to a different class." That's a problem, but Amos acknowledged it and said they have a system that could address that if they notice it being an issue. (It will be.)

You want to point out potential issues. That's how things get fixed. That's how you keep a strong and healthy community.

Yeah really this would mainly be an issue for the areas that don't let you bring in the AI guys for the most part. Hope they info they gather from the beta will help them address the issues before more people experience it.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
holy fuck this is literally there most "capitalism" game I have ever heard of in my life

Marvel loot GasS title for $60 retail

it's like a fucking AAA console mobile game

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It boggles my mind that no company can seemingly come up with a half decent Destiny competitor. I just want a game that scratches that itch but it seems like Bungie will forever have a stranglehold on that niche.
I think a lot factors into that. I think AAA development is hard. GaaS is hard. Dealing with a Marvel/Disney IP is hard. Trying to make an ambitious game is hard. Also I think Bungie is just good at it because they're two games and a bunch of expansions in. Plus this game and Destiny just aren't going for the same thing (even if they share that GaaS label).

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Dang, I was hoping for some solid mechanics and encounters, over the years Destiny has evolved the genre quite a bit...

Many of the previews thought the action felt weighty and pretty good. Some said it felt button mashy on Hulk but then others disagreed. We really have to try it ourselves tbh.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish this game had some big open-world hubs I could fly around in as Iron-Man. It'd be a day-one purchase just for that. Hopefully they add some later like Warframe's devs did.

Jun 1, 2018
holy fuck this is literally there most "capitalism" game I have ever heard of in my life

Marvel loot GasS title for $60 retail

it's like a fucking AAA console mobile game
also at least 15 bucks for a freaking skin in a FULL PRICED GAME .. wtf
Pay 90 bucks to play three days earlier on september 1... this game has checked all the boxes for maximum profit

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Let me explain it you, since you've not played the game in question.

There's two ways to run a multiplayer mission in Marvel's Avengers. Either you have a group of friends already, or you queue up for a specific mission. In the latter case, what you're hoping for are teammates at your Power Level who are doing the same mission you are. In beta, this is somewhat trivial, as there's only 6-8 missions available, but even trying to queue up for the HARM rooms was a struggle.

Now as you scale up in beta, that's great, but in live, when you're talking maybe 80-100 missions, problems start to arise. You end up prizing content where the community as a whole currently is. For example, trying to run a friend through FF14 and do the Lakshmi trial was a nightmare because it was deprecated content that not many players ran. We waited in queue for quite a while, so a Trial that was required for story progression.

Now in most MMOs and online games, there's an option to queue up randomly. WoW has the Dungeon Finder. FF14 has the Duty Roulette (and gives incentives to players to queue for it every day), Destiny 2 has playlists. Call it Quick Play, call it whatever, it forces your entire community in a direction. Like so:

550px-Duty_Roulette.png

Destiny_2___11_Screenshot_2017_09_13_16_05_42.png

Destiny 2 also has open sections with world events. If you queue map for Mercury, eventually, you'll run into 2-3 other players tackling the same content. Organic groups can form.

Imran is pointing out that Marvel's Avengers lacks either option. You cannot just say, "I want to do a random mission tonight with some folks" and queue up for that. You have to pick a specific mission on your own and hope others are doing the same. The Division 2 has this problem as well—if a mission you need to run is not a weekly challenge, you'll find yourself waiting a long time in queue because the community is focused in a different direction.

There should be an option to go in a random queue pool, that will match you other players who have queued up to complete a specific mission. If you're queueing up to "Stark Realities" and I drop into the random queue, it'll match me up with you, instead of hoping someone else is also doing the same mission.

He sprints slow because the expectation with Hulk is that you'll be jumping. He's relatively slow, but his jump moves a great distance.
Thank you so much for clarifying. I have no real hardcore experience with GaaS games, so hopefully this will be addressed if it becomes an issue. I hope Imran realizes that he is welcome here and that the hostility of some doesn't represent Era as a whole.

Forbes Paul Tassi held an AMA on the Marvel's Avengers reddit earlier:

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
also at least 15 bucks for a freaking skin in a FULL PRICED GAME .. wtf
Pay 90 bucks to play three days earlier on september 1... this game has checked all the boxes for maximum profit

It's $70 on PS4 to play 3 days early, plus you get 1000 credits of the premium currency. We don't yet know what the skins will actually cost in the full game so this take may be premature.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I mean combat reviews are not surprising to me, nailing one superhero is hard (Arkham series, latest Spidey) nailing bunch of them at the same time in the same gameplay environment must be absurdly difficult.

Jun 1, 2018
It's $70 on PS4 to play 3 days early, plus you get 1000 credits of the premium currency. We don't yet know what the skins will actually cost in the full game so this take may be premature.
Skins cost 1500 credits which is 15 bucks
And wrong. You need the deluxe edition which costs 90 euros = 107 dollar to play 3 days early

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Does this dude ever like anything? I don't know him but everytime I see a tweet of his he's always complaining.
That's what makes him good, he doesn't you know....fan boy things, dude is a good critic. I can say that full well knowing he has disliked things I have liked.
I don't see how the loop is any different from Destiny honestly. It seems like Destiny with 3rd person action gameplay instead of fps. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
i think that MHWilliams post sums it up great.

There is a lot missing. Things we probably won't see until the first big expansion if Destiny and it's clones are anything to go by.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when the first Destiny beta came out and it had that entire Cosmodrone as the playable area? And then when it was released people complained that there aaNt more content?
But I'm pretty sure this will have something more akin to a big campaign with setpieces and full plot. After the success of Spider-Man, I doubt Marvel wouldn't require this of any game with one of their biggest licenses.
If anything, I'm kinda worried they are giving too much away with the single player content. I'd be fine if all we got was the A-Day bridge tutorial. Do we know how long the story campaign is?
Not sure if they revealed how long it is, but I remember their interviews implying there'd be a full story, so I really think the whole SF thing and the introduction of Ms. Marvel is just the beginning hours of something that should include an arc of the team coming back together and discovering the secret behind Captain America's apparent death.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much for clarifying. I have no real hardcore experience with GaaS games, so hopefully this will be addressed if it becomes an issue. I hope Imran realizes that he is welcome here and that the hostility of some doesn't represent Era as a whole.

This is sounding good. He put 20 hours in, wow.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how the loop is any different from Destiny honestly. It seems like Destiny with 3rd person action gameplay instead of fps. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Destiny works by having several discrete open-world-style sections to play around in. When you jump into a planet, you're dropped randomly into an existing server with players. You can work on your own objectives, or organically work together with players to finish off world events. You can also run Strikes and PVP from the menu or hub area, which is shared between players as a social space.

Avengers is wholly discrete levels. You drop into a mission in a group of four, whether that's four players, or a combination of players and AI. There are War Zone missions that are longer, an operate somewhat like Destiny's larger maps, but you won't be meeting any other players, and completing the main mission objective closes out the mission, even if you haven't engaged with the other points of interest. Other missions are smaller, more linear experiences, around 10-15 minutes in length. When you finish a mission, you jump back to the War Table, or the Helicarrier, which is currently a wholly solo experience. Crystal Dyanmics has said there might be a social hub for players, but that's not in beta.

Avengers is closer to Phantasy Star Online 2, rather than Destiny. Levels are meant to be a thing you jump into and complete, not a more open region to complete many, many objectives in.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I watched a couple of previews and still looks like a mess. Happy for those who like it, but nah. I think I'll play ultimate alliance on my switch since I've been putting it off since forever

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Not sure if they revealed how long it is, but I remember their interviews implying there'd be a full story, so I really think the whole SF thing and the introduction of Ms. Marvel is just the beginning hours of something that should include an arc of the team coming back together and discovering the secret behind Captain America's apparent death.
I hope that just like Destiny, the game keeps getting not just heroes, but "events" like the comics. If the game manages to be an hybrid of coop and single player campaign this could become the Diablo of the next gen. The more I watch and read about this, the more excite I'm getting.

This is sounding good. He put 20 hours in, wow.
I'm about to read his AMA, need to get around his impressions on the article first.

Here's ours. 3000 words of deep diving.

powerup-gaming.com

Marvel’s Avengers Hands-On Preview – Avengers Assemble - PowerUp!

Going hands-on with Marvel's Avengers' beta marks the third time I've been able to play the game and the first that I've gotten a real sense of what it's all about. While previous hands-ons had focused on one character's combat abilities or the opening minutes of the game, this Marvel's...

TL;DR! I liked it! But it does have some problems!

Just got around reading both these impressions after listening to podcast impressions the whole afternoon in the background and wow thanks for taking the time to share this with us. What impressing me is that even the problems that you both pointed seem to be stuff easily fixable. The more I read about this thing, the impression I'm getting is that this will become insanely huge, despite all the Spider-Man exclusivity controversy.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
Anyway, I actually said I liked the game after changing my perspective on what it's supposed to be but I'm not going to sit here and get made fun of for answering questions about it, so y'all have a nice day.
C'mon now. I have this already paid for but are we really gonna get at people for being critical of a game? I want this game to be good. But we don't need to be hostile to those with a different opinion.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Everyone knows destiny is all about bounties at the moment lol. They have gotten better with eververse, even took out stuff from it to add back into the game this season. Let's see how long that lasts.
That's obviously because it's old and it creates goodwill. Once they have their "new shit" they will try to sell it as hard as they can because they literally thrive on that money right now.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's obviously because it's old and it creates goodwill. Once they have their "new shit" they will try to sell it as hard as they can because they literally thrive on that money right now.

I believe that for sure, they need that eververse monies lol. I hope they don't go back but really can't see it.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Tassi seemed to like it. He said he is a hardcore Destiny player so he hopes he won't have to invest as much time in this to unlock stuff but he said he could see 100-200 in this game. It's so interesting seeing the different opinions on each hero. I had just seen a preview and the dude said how he didn't like Iron Man as much as others and here Tassi likes Iron Man most. I think you really need to level these guys a bit before they start to click fully. It just sounds like a fun romp tbh

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Like my skills, my loot is unique to the character I'm playing. Because I mained Iron Man, Iron Man became my highest level character. I wouldn't ever get drops for The Hulk or Ms. Marvel during my adventures as Tony Stark. Instead, my Iron Man just kept getting stronger and stronger, unlocking new skills by leveling up. When I swapped back to Hulk to give him another go, it felt like starting over again — but in a way that encouraged me that the final version of this game will be replayable.

After 10 hours in the beta, I walked away excited for Marvel's Avengers' Sept. 4 release date. But RPG systems can be hard to grasp in a single beta weekend. Never forget that BioWare's Anthem demoed very well in its limited beta, despite being an unmitigated disaster at launch. While I have hope Marvel's Avengers won't be a repeat of Anthem, I've been fooled by RPG betas before — even if the Avengers beta has more varied content than Anthem's ever did.

There are still other potential pitfalls for Marvel's Avengers. Will the game be as fun to play for 100 hours as it was for 10? And the recent news of Spider-Man's exclusivity to PlayStation consoles gives me pause. But if Marvel's Avengers can maintain the level of quality in the beta for an entire campaign and post-game loot grind, it could be exactly what Marvel fans like myself have wanted for years.

www.polygon.com

The Marvel’s Avengers beta teases the superhero RPG I’ve always wanted

After 10 hours in the Marvel’s Avengers beta, I’m officially excited for the Avengers to assemble

Polygon's impressions are basically a rave. Less than 48 hours to the PS4 beta now!

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who love the genre (MonHunWorld and Destiny 2 are my most played game this gen), regardless on the game quality, the fact that you played as "fixed" characters is what prevent me from being excited for the game. I prefer having my own custom protagonist for these kind of games.

Funnily enough I would be excited for the game more if you play as custom superhero or custom Shield Agent lol.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently each character has 40 levels in their individual battle pass? fucking hell

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
I went ahead and preordered. I just wanna smash stuff with Hulk. Definitely gonna try all the characters but Hulk in a suit is too good not to main.