• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also was Sarge stabbing May and putting her through the portal his last act to give them a chance before he turned? Cause I think it feels that way.
The way he was acting afterwards, I don't think so. Seems like he didn't realise/remember she wouldn't die on the other side.

My take was the Coulson side of him and the Shrike side of him were at war, so yeah in a last ditch subconscious effort the Coulson side of him stabbed Melinda and pushed her through the portal to give her a fighting chance, but after that the Shrike side of him completely took over.

Good finale overall, but splitting up FitzSimmons again...sigh.

Thought the exact same thing. This cannot keep happening, especially in the final season.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My take was the Coulson side of him and the Shrike side of him were at war, so yeah in a last ditch subconscious effort the Coulson side of him stabbed Melinda and pushed her through the portal to give her a fighting chance, but after that the Shrike side of him completely took over.
Yeah that's what I got from him as well.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciated that I had 13 episodes of Shield this year, but that was a pretty disappointing season over all (outside of the FitzSimmons episode). Worst season since the first.

But a lot of the issues I had with the season don't seem to be too prevalent with season 7, or at least the very little I know of season 7.

Having Coulson back and with the team is a big improvement, so is having seemingly only two split story lines (Fitz and then the others) VS three or four separate stories (Fitz, Simmons/Daisy, Mack/Yoyo/May, and Sarge and his squad). Also I'm getting way too bored with the same indoor shots, so the group time traveling to different periods in time is a welcome change.

Not to mention that Shield could help close the plot lines from Agent Carter now, as well as give me more Ward. So many options for the final 13 episodes.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
6 < 1 < 5 < 3 < 2 < 4 for me. I enjoyed individual episodes, and certain bits, but as a complete whole, the worst season.

Agent Carter can't happen in 1931 unfortunately.

TVLINE | You sent the team to what I am guesstimating is the year 1930, 1931…?
TANCHAROEN |
That's a good guess….

TVLINE | Why bring us to the 1930s versus the '40s? Because doesn't that well predate the creation of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
WHEDON |
That's a good question.
BELL | An excellent Season 7 question.
WHEDON | Also, there's the cool hats.
TANCHAROEN | We like the clothes, we like the cars….
WHEDON | The bootleggers….

TVLINE | Before I did the math, my first, excited thought was that they could cross paths with Agent Peggy Carter. But when realized it's a decade too soon…. Maybe they could run into a teenage Peggy or something?
WHEDON |
We wish you were in the writers room, so we could have done that!

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the finale, and the setup for the last season.

Hoping that if it mostly takes place in the past (and with the chromicons holding the lighthouse), maybe they'll do some more outdoor filming, and not so much of the same corridors they've used for 2 seasons.

I liked Sarge's crew, but they're gone or forgotten about. I liked the premise of Sarge/Coulson, and appreciate they didn't fully go down the cliche path (SUBVERTED EXPECTATIONS). Izel was ok at times, and "uggh" at times (BRING ME AN ARMY).
She got Night King'd. May > Arya

Still, some plotholes exist, but now that we're TIMETRAVELMAHBABIES, they can be dealt with later (things like what happened to Spencer/The doctor, and "did Deke get blowed up?").

I reaaaally hope there is some (or alot) of Agent Carter stuff in this season. I know of that spoiler Ming showed off, but I'd really like to see
Peggie and Jarvis again.
I'm sad I didn't watch Agent Carter during it's first run, caught it after the fact. It was a good show.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can't read any of the thread because still no episode 13 on Amazon =<

I hope they won't make me wait until next week...

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
SHIELD's best season divided the story into 7-8 episode pods. This show is supposed to thrive on tightly delivered storytelling. Season 6 did not feel like the same show.
This was the most disappointing aspect to me. Season 5 felt like the budget cuts and episode length had them needing to resort to lots of reusing sets and developing a storyline that allowed them to be ambitious, yet conservative and even then there felt like some padding that could have been avoided with less episodes.

Then we get season 6 and we still got whole episodes that felt like padding. The writing was nowhere near as tight as season 4 and plot points felt dragged out rather than briskly paced in the way the show typically was.

I guess, to be fair, season 4 had the Darkhold pod which may have been the weakest of all 3, but still was doing set up and even though each story for a pod was mostly self contained, they really needed the setup of the previous pods to work.

Even looking at season 6 and 7 as part 1 and 2 of the same season, season 6 did not feel as tight as the normal 2 half split in the structure of other seasons. Although, it would compare more favorably to some of the other seasons if that was the case (it is still significantly above the first half of season 1 for instance).

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
I am amused that this is the second time we've been left on a cliffhanger that involved Deke getting blown up. First time when everyone was sent from the future to the present, and now in the temple. It didn't take the first time and I doubt it took this time.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree this was the worst season since the first. Izel was not an interesting villain and since she only appeared midseason there was a lot pf wasted time. The chronicons were even worse so the setup for them being the main villains next season isn't that exciting, and Fitzsimmons being separated again is pretty much a joke at this point. We got Coulson back as fake Coulson after a season of another fake Coulson, they really had no idea what to do without Clark Gregg in the show.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I just want to point out that while this is definitely the weakest finale out of the series, it redeemed Deke for me. His moment with Fitz and Jemma about starting up the company because no one liked him. That really redeemed the character and how he pushed himself these last couple episodes was great. Deke is a very redeemed character in my eyes and hopefully he remains this way.

So my theory I posted earlier in the thread. It's not the same now, but I was right about them going back in time.
So, regarding the theory about S7, which I'm going to spoil since it's been based off of set photos:

I thought I had a theory for it back in the S5 thread, which I scoured for it for a bit but it turned out I didn't and it was just a random one sentence. By the way, what a delightful trip back in time, what with all the timeline theories and ethical debates. Fantastic discussions.

Anyways, my thing about S7 is that was going to be about S6

Basically, the idea that this whole incident will cause them to travel back in time to the Agent Carter days, which was stated by others earlier, but my new thought is that this could also coincide with the Darkforce incident in AC S2. S7 of AoS will be the unofficial S3 of AC, which was an old wishful thought. AC got cancelled, and S2 of AoS had backdoor pilot stuff for S1 of AC. S2 of AC was much more sci-fi with the Darkforce, plus the cliffhanger ending leaves some stuff up that could be used as a base for the storylines in S7. SHIELD has a history with superhumans, so this isn't world breaking. Plus also following up on Darkforce, which has been a recurring element within the series. Darkforce experiments have had a history of being run by SHIELD, which we know based on S1 alone with that one villain (whose name I always forget). S2 of AC had Darkforce as a major plot element with Whitney Frost AKA Madame Masque, and then S3 had an Inhuman who was capable of manipulating Darkforce in "Parting Shots".

So, if that proves true alone, S7 could also heavily revolve around Darkforce and S7 could wrap up the entirety of the MCU television as a whole.

So ... did Snowflake get killed by the Chronicons in her cell?

Just a thought that crossed my mind. I guess it won't matter with time shenanigans.
I'd assume anyone not evacuated was executed.
Damn the real villain next season's is going to be Mack having a fight some old-timey racist.

Okay so May's super human. I won't be told otherwise.
What I got from it is that the sword doesn't kill humans. It only works on the Shrike and whatever Izel and Coulson are (a Chitauri), because didn't they use it on YoYo too and she was mostly fine? Except for the fact that the Shrike messed her up? Or did I miss something?
This was the most disappointing aspect to me. Season 5 felt like the budget cuts and episode length had them needing to resort to lots of reusing sets and developing a storyline that allowed them to be ambitious, yet conservative and even then there felt like some padding that could have been avoided with less episodes.

Then we get season 6 and we still got whole episodes that felt like padding. The writing was nowhere near as tight as season 4 and plot points felt dragged out rather than briskly paced in the way the show typically was.

I guess, to be fair, season 4 had the Darkhold pod which may have been the weakest of all 3, but still was doing set up and even though each story for a pod was mostly self contained, they really needed the setup of the previous pods to work.

Even looking at season 6 and 7 as part 1 and 2 of the same season, season 6 did not feel as tight as the normal 2 half split in the structure of other seasons. Although, it would compare more favorably to some of the other seasons if that was the case (it is still significantly above the first half of season 1 for instance).
Darkhold wasn't a Pod though. Ghost Rider was, with Eil Morrow and Lucy being the baddies, but the Darkhold wasn't the pod. The Darkhold was the villain of the entire series with everyone forwarding its plan.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Darkhold wasn't a Pod though. Ghost Rider was, with Eil Morrow and Lucy being the baddies, but the Darkhold wasn't the pod. The Darkhold was the villain of the entire series with everyone forwarding its plan.
Oops, I forgot how it was broken down, but that's what I was referring to. Ghost Rider was cool, but a lot of the other stuff was weak in that pod, such as the Darkhold and the followers. It was also the most disconnected from the other 2 pods tonally, whereas the LMD arc tied cleanly into the Framework/Agents of HYDRA stuff of the final pod.

I still liked that first pod, but it was the weakest of the 3.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Oops, I forgot how it was broken down, but that's what I was referring to. Ghost Rider was cool, but a lot of the other stuff was weak in that pod, such as the Darkhold and the followers. It was also the most disconnected from the other 2 pods tonally, whereas the LMD arc tied cleanly into the Framework/Agents of HYDRA stuff of the final pod.

I still liked that first pod, but it was the weakest of the 3.
Ghost Rider is the best example of a show jumping the shark and working

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thanking about it, Serge's crew was like the flip side of the shield team.

Jaco-Mac, shotgun standing in for fire
The red head dude- Fitz
Snowflake- Daisy

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
This season was alright. I enjoyed it. I do think they stretched it out a bit. This story could have been told in less episodes. She was a good villain but they built it up a lot and the finale felt a little weak. I was expecting better.

It's still a great show and very creative. Can't wait to see what they do next season.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
yeah honestly this season wasn't all that great

it feels like they ran out of ideas last year and were just like, "uh, I don't know, monoliths?"

and then did a generic unsealed ancient evil plot

and outside of Enoch himself, all the chronocom stuff has been trash

that said, the characters still work so it's still an entertaining show

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

it feels like they ran out of ideas last year and were just like, "uh, I don't know, monoliths?"

The monoliths weren't really a random pull though. Like, I wanted to know where they came from. They were these random stone plot devices that just did shit and no one knew why. And then there was a third one.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
The Sar
So Deke, Piper, Flint, Snowflake just...what? Stopped existing? Are we going to find out Simmons already picked all of them up? Or maybe Fitz did?
Didn't Deke go with them? I thought he asked Jemma where Fitz was after they picked Daisy and co. up.

Jemma saying they had time leaves room for it to be revealed they rescued Piper and Flint. Fitz presumably has a team helping him, and Piper and Flint could be there.

Snowflake is the most interesting, since they could leave it as her being offscreened killed by the Chronicons, but she's also skilled enough that it's believable she found a way to escape and take out a few Chronicons.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Like I said, it's that victory lap season

The cast was ready to go home lmao, but we squeezed two more seasons out of them. I can't get mad at it whatsoever, I love the cast, and it's not as if it's the type of show that absolutely has to end at a certain point.

Also I would say the monolith stuff is a pretty inspired way to bring all stuff back, as well as answer what the 3rd monolith actually did. Main issue for me I guess is that Izel needed a more episodes, as well as a more organic way to enter the story.

What I got from it is that the sword doesn't kill humans. It only works on the Shrike and whatever Izel and Coulson are (a Chitauri), because didn't they use it on YoYo too and she was mostly fine? Except for the fact that the Shrike messed her up? Or did I miss something?

They pretty much spelled out that that realm/room May was in doesn't have death as a concept or something like that. That's why she could fight perfectly fine while she was in there, but pretty much immediately succumbed to her injuries once she left it to kill Izel.

it redeemed Deke for me. His moment with Fitz and Jemma about starting up the company because no one liked him. That really redeemed the character and how he pushed himself these last couple episodes was great. Deke is a very redeemed character in my eyes and hopefully he remains this way.

Yea that was probably Deke's best scene since being introduced. I always like when all the teasing or belittling of a character goes from mere humor to them actually having a real boiling point. Makes them feel like an actual character. The point about how even Jemma, who has been nice to him since the reveal, isn't truly taking him all that seriously either hit hard in particular. I enjoyed him a lot this season. Outside of being comic relief, he proved that he has a niche as being just as clever as FitzSimmons.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Like I said, it's that victory lap season

The cast was ready to go home lmao, but we squeezed two more seasons out of them. I can't get mad at it whatsoever, I love the cast, and it's not as if it's the type of show that absolutely has to end at a certain point.
They could continue to squeeze many more seasons. The stories have been quite different. That's the benefit of using sci-fi and comics as the base material. The possibilities are endless if the writing is good enough. Even if they stick with source material, there are decades of comics to access.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
4>5>6>3>2>1

sad to say that this season never ended up being as as good as season 4 or 5.

The whole Chronicon side plot was poorly weaved and intergrated into the story this season...

Once again they are still using the FitzSimmons separation trope.
The writer needs to realize that has been done to death and it's not even fun anymore.

Im kinda glad they never ended up having Coulson back, so there is actually some stakes to things.

May's survival from the stab for that long was kinda ridiculous. The writing there was pretty iffy there imo. Also YoYo's.

I just hope the final season can be on the same level of season 4 somehow.

Oh yeah, I also want Ward back.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May's survival from the stab for that long was kinda ridiculous. The writing there was pretty iffy there imo.

They specifically said that life and death do not exist in the fear dimension. May was on the verge of death but she was in suspended animation, essentially, as long as she was in there. As soon as she stepped out into the real world she collapsed and was about to die when Simmons showed up with the cryo chamber.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished episode 12, and I don't get why Mack and Yo-yo keeps talking about Flint like he's our Flint from the future when he's not. He's a new creation with the memories of our Flint, but that doesn't make him the same. Just like Sarge ain't Coulson. I guess they either just want him to be ours, or they don't wanna scare this Flint by telling him the truth, although they already told him they created him with their minds.

Anyway, onto episode 13. I like that Sarge wasn't this hero, and man was it cold to kill May; this love. Izel have been growing on me, but I'm really not interested in Enoch or the Chromicoms at this point. Also loved Deke jumping around.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
They specifically said that life and death do not exist in the fear dimension. May was on the verge of death but she was in suspended animation, essentially, as long as she was in there. As soon as she stepped out into the real world she collapsed and was about to die when Simmons showed up with the cryo chamber.
Fair enough, but I felt like the Chronicon side plot ended up being a deus ex machina for the survival of several characters including May.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
They said it like 3 different times that May was only fine because that realm she was in allowed her to stay alive despite her wounds, and as soon as she came back, she was close to death again.

Coulsons turn to Strike Coulson was rushed.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Chronicon stuff was a nice "extra shit we don't need when we're already in deep shit" moment.

Also gave Jemma and Fitz more stuff to do. If only Snowbunny got to enjoy the fun.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of shotgun axe was fucking frustrating this season.
It got reduced to a funny throw away action scene with Deke in the Framework....

#JusticeForShotgunAxe

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Izel was just a bland saturday morning villainess.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, but I felt like the Chronicon side plot ended up being a deus ex machina for the survival of several characters including May.

How is it a deus ex machina? We saw beforehand that they copied FitzSimmons' minds. We know that they've been chasing them for the entire season, with the 2nd half ending each episode with them getting closer and closer to striking. And we know that Enoch was doing his own part to keep them alive.

It didn't come out of nowhere, we've been waiting for the shoe to drop on all of that for awhile now...

Izel was just a bland saturday morning villainess.

Tell that to Davis and Piper's hand lol

Oh wow, I find it ironic that despite you seeming pretty down on the season, you ranked it higher than I did lol

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of feel a little let down by the finale. Sarge's true form was great. But the knife battle looked so bad, May should remain dead but of course they're gonna revive her somehow, and I feel like Yo-yo should have gone too.

Only the after-title scenes were truly great. Jemma felt completely different that I wasn't really sure it was her. I'm also really not intrigued by the Chromicom Hunters being the baddies right now.

So I guess we just travelled back in time to a point where the Empire State Building wasn't fully built. And with the upgraded HyperDrive we're gonna travel through time in the final season. That's what I'm hoping at least.

Season 6 was weaker than S5, but it was overall alright. It got better throughout the season, but I'm hoping for a truly fantastic season next season.

1. Season 4
2. Season 2
3. Season 5
4. Season 1
5. Season 6
5. Season 3

I don't remember much of S3 which is why I have it that low. I suspect on a rewatch I'll like it more than S6. I remember it having that cool episode with Jemma on another planet. And the three Shield teams or something.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
May should remain dead but of course they're gonna revive her somehow, and I feel like Yo-yo should have gone too.

I just don't see the point in that. It wouldn't make it a better season for me (if anything I'd sour on it), and would just make S7 a downer to look forward to just take out two of the cast like that right before putting them in a situation where the team is basically on their own yet again.

Not to necessarily say that no one should be allowed to die (Although I definitely don't want any of them to :P), but that'd be a pretty lame end for their respective characters. Especially Yo-Yo.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone noticed that ending is a prior to first season when Coulson was "magically" alive turn out it was possible a human form of advance LMD and a possible travel back to the past to repeat the history of AoS?

Call me crazy, but I'm having the guts that they're doing it on purpose.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I love Yo-yo and I don't want her to die. I guess it makes sense that she didn't shrike out since we killed off Izel who was in control of them I think.

Also I want Yo-yo to get some sort of upgrade next season. Her cool ass arms need to be Winter Soldier-like (no, not as powerful, but give her a strength boost) and she needs to get some hard punching fight scenes. I remember her having some real cool moves earlier.

May just feels invincible at this point and I don't like it.

Last edited:

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It was an ok season. Middle of the pack for this show. Writing isn't as tight but it still has excellent moments like the incredible FitzSimmons episode.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone noticed that ending is a prior to first season when Coulson was "magically" alive turn out it was possible a human form of advance LMD and a possible travel back to the past to repeat the history of AoS?

Call me crazy, but I'm having the guts that they're doing it on purpose.

Yes, it's definitely a callback to the popular "Coulson is an LMD" theory that emerged when people first started speculating about his survival after the Avengers.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, writing was worse than in past seasons, and it was pretty bad in the finale.

I loved Deke this whole season. And that moment in the finale was his best. That was so good. I need Deke to just have his HyperDrive on him all the time and jump around for a whole season.

And yes, let's get Shotgun-Axe back.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to jump back to save Shield, why not jump to when Izel shows up and end her? No Izel, Chronyca 2 doesn't get destroyed.