• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of this happening pre-snap, despite taking place a year later from when Thanos arrived, really irks me.

But ah well, I still love the show and can't wait for the ride this season will probably be.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I am halfway through the space season and really not feeling it. Enjoyed all the others though. Does the last season improve in the second half?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Really liked this first episode. It was especially refreshing to see so many outdoor shots; at the bar, museum, park and some forest, and people working for Shield. May has gone all in recruiting people. Mack and Yoyo splitting up surprised me, and I don't like it. But I guess it really takes a toll, being the new leader while dealing with the loss of Coulson and Fitz. I liked the visual effects in space, the designs and costuming. And it has interesting beats from the get go. Fitz not being in his chamber, but instead working for someone. And these people popping up all over the place through portals. It's very interesting.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
What I liked best was that it felt like a real organization. So many background characters and 3rd tier speaking parts. Just like the old SHIELD.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That was a great first episode. This season is going to be nuts. Really like having half the team in space and the other half dealing with something else.

Daisy looks awesome. Love the hair.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Coulson this season:

tumblr_oqeitas8R31rpotpgo3_500.gif

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still feel like the Winter Soldier "tie in" spoiled me for the rest of the show. I keep wanting them to dovetail with the movies and wow me again.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The space stuff seems to be totally disconnected from the Earth stuff - they dont even have any direct contact with Earth,

So if they suddenly want to reveal the 4 people in space are in a different timeline/reality/universe that what is happening on Earth, that would be fun. It also explains Coulson (for reasons)

And I dont care about Infinity War / Endgame connections, but they could use timeline/reality/universe stuff to explain that away if needed as the team of four in space were lucky enough not to be affected by the snap.

I am happy for them to go crazy with reality jumping if need be, once they tell a good story.

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, just saw this topic and I realized I could have watched Agents of Shield today instead of fucking around on the internet after the Warriors game.

Renpatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly tough position for the showrunners to write a season from, but they did a pretty good job attempting to sidestep it altogether. Too bad they gambled and lost on the idea that the snap would be resolved within a year. I find it funny that hypothetically they could have shot the exact same episode, but with the minimum number of extras in scenes on Earth and you wouldn't really see much discrepancy with Endgame.

So aside from attempting to square the timeline and all that mess (which to be fair they've been very diligent about in the past) I'm excited to see that they've beefed up the Shield hierarchy and made supporting characters more prominent.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly tough position for the showrunners to write a season from, but they did a pretty good job attempting to sidestep it altogether. Too bad they gambled and lost on the idea that the snap would be resolved within a year. I find it funny that hypothetically they could have shot the exact same episode, but with the minimum number of extras in scenes on Earth and you wouldn't really see much discrepancy with Endgame.

So aside from attempting to square the timeline and all that mess (which to be fair they've been very diligent about in the past) I'm excited to see that they've beefed up the Shield hierarchy and made supporting characters more prominent.
Problem was they had no inside knowledge of Endgame so had to write as best they could

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The space stuff seems to be totally disconnected from the Earth stuff - they dont even have any direct contact with Earth,

So if they suddenly want to reveal the 4 people in space are in a different timeline/reality/universe that what is happening on Earth, that would be fun. It also explains Coulson (for reasons)

And I dont care about Infinity War / Endgame connections, but they could use timeline/reality/universe stuff to explain that away if needed as the team of four in space were lucky enough not to be affected by the snap.

I am happy for them to go crazy with reality jumping if need be, once they tell a good story.

Maybe they all got snapped and then unsnapped but didn't know. Being in space and not knowing space calenders confusing. When they find Fitz he's going to tell them it's been 6 years 🤷‍♂️

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to post this yesterday, but then the new episode aired, and I waited till now. Comicbook.com have a very nice in-depth interview with the Visual Effects Supervisor Mark Kolpack who goes into detail with a lot of stuff.

They have added two visual effects teams as partners for Season 7:
Our lead house is FuseFx, our second lead house is CoSA and then we're also working with Rhythm and Hues and Digital Domain now. They've currently come on for season seven.

About keeping a high standard:
"I'm here to protect the Marvel brand." I said that the Marvel audience is very accustomed to a level and quality of work. I said, "That has to translate in some degree into this project. Into this television show. We can't do what Iron Man is doing. We can't do at the moment what Thor might do or any of the other films."

But at the end of the day, you have to feel that the work being produced on Agents of SHIELD is kin to the cinematic world. Otherwise, I was fearful and I thought that we might get audience that'll tune in and tune out and they go, "This is work. This isn't Marvel." So I was very much about protecting the quality of the brand.

The Lighthouse was one of the biggest challenges:
With the lighthouse hangar, that's something that I was very excited about because it was under water. Now you've got to remember, simulating fluids takes memory, takes a lot of power. So simulating the 300 foot water drop from Lake Ontario down the sides of the wall of that circular hangar was something I was very excited about because Black Panther had come out and they had beautiful waterfalls. I kept saying, "I want Wakanda. Wakanda," but that simulation kept breaking halfway through.

About Ghost Rider:
We employed the coal eyes, we employed the squash and stretch of the eye orbit so he would scowl deeper and then you could see it release. Then we would have extra flames coming out of the temple area of the skull and that was for the purpose of when he killed someone, those things flamed out whiter, hotter. The flame articulation, all that Houdini simulation was tremendous so I just think that we were able to achieve a lot.

How the Triskelion got into the show:
The Triskelion was a model that we got from Captain America.

Mark Kolpack also asked to direct an episode back at the end of Season 2, and finally got his wish this season. Episode 4 on May 31st is the one he has directed.

There's much more in the link.

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame people still want to claim it's really, actually all connected to the movies. It long hasn't been, but now it's to point of distracting from a good show.

Not massively keen on tonight's big twist being all over the trailers prior to the new season but so be it, I can live with a bad ass Coulson any day of the week. Other than that really enjoyed the return and glad it's back.

Disney+ has ultimately put paid to any decent synergy between AOS and the movies and that can only be a good thing. Have AOS, Runaways etc exist in their own world, crossovers galore and just have fun with that. That's all that really needs to happen.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
It's a shame people still want to claim it's really, actually all connected to the movies. It long hasn't been, but now it's to point of distracting from a good show.

And yet it's the only Marvel TV show referred to in the Marvel Universe music video released before Endgame came out. Possibly an alternate timeline but still part of the Universe as a whole.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's better to just move the show away from the movies. It was fun to connect the two for the first few seasons but it's not really been working for awhile now.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
With the resources and time he has, Mark Kolpack and his team might be the best VFX people in the industry. Give them an Emmy already.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Not massively keen on tonight's big twist being all over the trailers prior to the new season but so be it, I can live with a bad ass Coulson any day of the week. Other than that really enjoyed the return and glad it's back.

Disney+ has ultimately put paid to any decent synergy between AOS and the movies and that can only be a good thing. Have AOS, Runaways etc exist in their own world, crossovers galore and just have fun with that. That's all that really needs to happen.

SHIELD has been relatively good over the years about not giving away anything in trailers or spinning it differently, so I'm cool with that.

I wish Jeph Loeb would fight harder for a Marvel Television Universe. I think we'd all be ecstatic if we saw DD, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Cloak and Dagger, and Runaways all crossing over with SHIELD and each other. That seems relatively easy to do.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to post this yesterday, but then the new episode aired, and I waited till now. Comicbook.com have a very nice in-depth interview with the Visual Effects Supervisor Mark Kolpack who goes into detail with a lot of stuff.

They have added two visual effects teams as partners for Season 7:

About keeping a high standard:

The Lighthouse was one of the biggest challenges:

About Ghost Rider:

How the Triskelion got into the show:

Mark Kolpack also asked to direct an episode back at the end of Season 2, and finally got his wish this season. Episode 4 on May 31st is the one he has directed.

There's much more in the link.
Interesting stuff, thanks!
They really do a great job with VFX

I wish Jeph Loeb would fight harder for a Marvel Television Universe. I think we'd all be ecstatic if we saw DD, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Cloak and Dagger, and Runaways all crossing over with SHIELD and each other. That seems relatively easy to do.
Plus a chance to adapt Loeb's biggest event: Ultimatum.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
This might be an accident, but Amazon Prime has Season 6 for $2.99 so grab it on the cheap maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07RGJHS9J/

(EDIT: They also stream in 1080p so the VFX should look *chef kiss*)

I tried that given how it isn't on German Amazon yet, no luck at all (payment method needs to be an American credit card lol), but just thought it's an interesting tidbit: Before I logged in the season was 6.99$, after I logged in it was 2.99$...weird, but I'd go for it if I could!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For the timeline stuff: all of that funky time-jumping last season popped the team out in a parallel universe. Easy!

Episode was fine, though I'm finding space team way more interesting than Earth team. Big question: what's the current status on SHIELD? Are they still outlaws? An official government agency? Hunted by the FBI? I can't remember how that all settled last season.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
For the timeline stuff: all of that funky time-jumping last season popped the team out in a parallel universe. Easy!

Episode was fine, though I'm finding space team way more interesting than Earth team. Big question: what's the current status on SHIELD? Are they still outlaws? An official government agency? Hunted by the FBI? I can't remember how that all settled last season.
I don't think it was settled last season. But I'm sure that after it turned out that Hale was Hydra (Hale, Hydra) and SHIELD publically assisted in the cleanup/protection of Chicago, Hale's order to capture SHIELD would have been rescinded.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So at is right now, unless they reveal this is in an alt timeline right now... AoS is no longer MCU right?

Like I was one of the people fine with the one way connection but even that has been shattered.