• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I use to have them all in a shoe box somewhere. Even had uncut sheets
4b30dc789ee69_58244n.jpg

1996-Flair-Marvel-Masterpieces-Master-Print-Silver-Surfer.jpg

marvel-masterpieces-1994-edition-85a.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

4bda2acd9717893d2e6f3c103e240703.jpg

And they put everybody in them, like who the hell remembers Senna Blaze?
s-l1600.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda love how Beast, Silver Surfer and Bishop are posed to show off their asses.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I was just thinking about these. I remember I played in some tournament at Blockbuster (I believe Judge Dredd was the game?), and got a pack of these as a prize

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
They really made a point of showing Beast's rear end and extremely detailed feet.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree. I spent so much time and money collecting the individual packs. One time I saw at a comic shop they just had the whole series available for purchase, no individual packs required. I saved up and bought that as well. I have several full series, some including all the rare metallic cards, some with a couple of them.
Flair '94 were my favorites. The cards were super thick, and super high res glossy artwork adorned the fronts. I love them so much. It's my most cherished worthless piece of my childhood I still have

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
What I learned from those cards was that if it was a piece done by Boris Vallejo or Julie Bell, you were going to get some sorta chromium metal details in there.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
About a year ago I went on a kick of looking up old marvel cards and ended up buying some Marvel Masterpieces boxes. I recently saw the price on them has ballooned so I'm pretty glad I got them when I did. That first series of them was The Thing with the nerds that year at my school.

I really like those and there was a Spider-man series that, I think, Fleer put out that was all done by Bagley and every nine cards formed a big picture so they looked great in a binder.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Bishop got that cake. Too bad he's not my type.

Would definitely love the Silver Surfer card in poster size.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have full collections of the first three sets in a binder still under my bed.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Man I used to have so many of these.
I may be misremembering but I think Boris, the painter that did so many, was like an amateur body builder or something and that's part of why all of his art looked like that; he was inspired but the poses

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The series that formed the 3x3 picture for every group of 9 cards was awesome. I was hooked by the chase for the complete pictures. It was so satisfying to slot that last card into the binder.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Those Power Rankings were so clutch.

A few years back, I actually bought a full set of the Marvel Vs DC ones because each card has Clark Kent and Peter Parker breaking down heroes and villains of the other's universe. It was good shit.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
These were so cold, I remember I used to buy packs of these and resell them when I was in elementary school.

Marvel Masterpieces, yo.

Oct 27, 2017
I keep wanting to buy a box of marvel universe series one but the prices are dumb now. When they first came out they were .25$ a pack. I was poor as shit as a kid, but I got to buy quite a few of these cards. I have a box of series two and a box of the Jim Lee X-men cards.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Looking it up, I see it was a series called Masterprints. It looks like they even made larger prints of the card art all together.

s-l1600.jpg
I had these and another spiderman set that had some super obscure villains. Like Kraven's 3rd son
tumblr_pnpt0bxUZy1r9ao7c_1280.jpg

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I had that first full set of Marvel Masterpieces that Jusko did the art for back in the day.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
About a year ago I went on a kick of looking up old marvel cards and ended up buying some Marvel Masterpieces boxes. I recently saw the price on them has ballooned so I'm pretty glad I got them when I did. That first series of them was The Thing with the nerds that year at my school.

I really like those and there was a Spider-man series that, I think, Fleer put out that was all done by Bagley and every nine cards formed a big picture so they looked great in a binder.
Yo I remember those. Pretty sure I have a shit ton of complete sets my dad gave me.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I still have complete sets of Marvel Masterpieces series I & II, X-Men Series I & II, and Marvel Universe Series II - IV.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I was never a huge fan of the Marvel Masterpieces sets personally, but I loved Marvel Universe Series 1–3 and still have my childhood collection in binders. I was actually always missing a handful of cards across all three sets, then a couple years ago I spent a few bucks on the individual missing cards to complete the sets.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still have all mine, and some post 90s sets. There was an X-Men set in 2018 that was awesome.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was never a huge fan of the Marvel Masterpieces sets personally, but I loved Marvel Universe Series 1–3 and still have my childhood collection in binders. I was actually always missing a handful of cards across all three sets, then a couple years ago I spent a few bucks on the individual missing cards to complete the sets.
Yeah I don't like the painted ones. I didn't collect those. There was a Marvel card game at the time-I forget what it was called but I was busy collecting those cards. OverPower I want to say?

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't like the painted ones. I didn't collect those. There was a Marvel card game at the time-I forget what it was called but I was busy collecting those cards. OverPower I want to say?

Yeah, there was a Marvel CCG called OverPower back in the mid-90s. My card collecting days were kind of over by the time it came around, though.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a bunch of those Masterpiece cards around here somewhere. Can't remember if it was a complete set or not, I don't think it was.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slayven don't lie. You know exactly who Sienna Blaze is because you definitely have an encyclopedic knowledge of Malibu Comics.

Last edited: