• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if there's more questions. This is all reported from WSJ's Takashi Mochizuki:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Shame we have to wait for RF5, but I'll definitely be there when it eventually releases.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Story of Seasons their biggest IP?

And the one they chose to announce for Switch in 2017?

And now they are "considering" it?

Lirose

May 30, 2018
It's a miracle RF5 even exists. I can wait.

SOS only now being considered? They used to release a title every one or two years on the DS family. :( I assumed development was already underway...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a miracle RF5 even exists. I can wait.

SOS only now being considered? They used to release a title every one or two years on the DS family. :( I assumed development was already underway...

I guess everyone should thank the Bandai Namco producer who decided to license the IP for a Doraemon game.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Happy about the RF5 news - fans waited long enough they should take their time.

Gotta focus in the important issues like how the get Senran Kagura on Xbox One...lol.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm guessing the unannounced title is the other Honey Parade game that Takaki was still working on? I don't think it was announced officially.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

It's really weird. It's a great seller both domestically and internationally but yet it seems like Marvelous gives more priority to titles that sell significantly weaker. Same with RF5, really. That game should have started development ages ago considering how successful RF4 has been for them.

I guess the issue might be that SoS sells more software than Senran Kagura, but that SK is nevertheless currently a more important franchise to them due to merchandise sales and the like.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

I think you're getting caught up by the translation.

These dudes really mad they can't sexualize underage girls.
Based on the Japanese version of the tweet it seems like they brought this point up because the sexual content trimming led to them reducing their sales expectations of the title.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017

I wonder if the unannounced title getting trimmed of sexual content is Uppers HD remaster for PS4/PC? Yes, it was announced last year for a Western release, but not in Japan. Removing or altering the the naughty bits would require quite a bit of work methinks.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if the unannounced title getting trimmed of sexual content is Uppers HD remaster for PS4/PC? Yes, it was announced last year for a Western release, but not in Japan. Removing or altering the the naughty bits would require quite a bit of work methinks.

It's definitely a Honey Parade title. Uppers can get by without such content, Senran Kagura sells because of the content

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Uppers released a long time ago in Japan :p

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder what RF5 their own Story of Seasons is going to look like. The RF4 "remaster" is obviously built on a 3DS game and the Doraemon SoS has a nice and simple style but it's not made by them. Maybe they'll go back to full 3D like they did for Frontier and Tides of Destiny/Oceans?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Huh, I'm guessing its Senran Kagura, but I hoping a switch version version is possible in the future as developers are releasing non-censored ports on it.

Oct 28, 2017
Just a reminder that Yoshifumi Hashimoto started his own development team (HAKAMA - http://www.hkm.co.jp/ ) under the aegis of Marvelous last year. They've previously worked on Dragon Marked for Death and are the team handling both Rune Factory 4S and Rune Factory 5, and it is probably safe to assume that HAKAMA is primarily staffed with Hashimoto's old team from Neverland.

As for Story of Seasons proper, a new mainline title was announced during the February 2017 Switch prelaunch event, but we've heard almost nothing since then. Since then there have been news articles stating that the next game is being developed or that they are considering developing the next game. I don't want to speculate too much, but maybe Hashimoto's team branching off led to some kind of scrapping or full revamping of the next Bokujō Monogatari/Story of Seasons title? That would account for both types of news being released in the last two years. Again, this is just my speculation based on publicly known developments and news articles, I have no insider knowledge. Or perhaps it is just a translation mishap as suggested above and the new game is right on schedule. I imagine developing a HD(ish?) title for Switch would take a lot more effort and time than pumping out a new DS/3DS game every two years, especially since they haven't made a dedicated home console Bokujō Monogatari/Story of Seasons title since Animal Parade in 2008.

As Bandai Namco and Brownies are the ones making Doraemon Story of Seasons, I very much doubt that game has led to any significant delays of a proper mainline Story of Seasons title.

Last edited: