• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
MVCI was one of the best things to happen to Capcom. A major wakeup call that they have to do better. Luckily it was called MVCI instead of MVC4 (or maybe it was planned), and the series can continue on as if it never happened lol.
I don't doubt that we'll get another Marvel fighting game, but I really, really don't think Capcom is going to develop it.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
I agree with everything in this thread and have nothing to add...

...except this. MVC4 please and with an announcement of MVC2 remaster with great online on all platforms.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Art honestly matters a whole lot in a licensed-character fighter. Content quality aside, a common reaction to the game is that it looks poor compared to its own pedigree, and even taken on its own.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't know.

If they released an Ultimate MvC:I that was prettier and had a better roster, I still wouldn't want it. I really dislike the gameplay.

I don't care how "creative" it is, I want 3v3 with assists, not a tag game.

Presentation helps, but Marvel 2 looks like shit. Roster helps, but I don't know half of the characters I play in Marvel games. I don't think Infinite fans are too far from the truth when they say that gameplay is all that matters, I just think they fail to realize that the gameplay didn't connect with a lot more people than they imagine.

There was a demo, people played it. If they thought the gameplay was that good, they'd get over the shitty graphics.

It hurts even more that DBFZ is trash, too. It was the chosen one to give us 3v3 with assists, but it sucks. :(

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
With all due respect Neoxon, you constantly say this like having Niitsuma or any old-team involved with mvc, like next to impossible. I don't see why Niitsuma can't be put in charge to develop a new .vs game, nor a fighting game with the "spirit" of the .vs series.

And yeah, mvci bombed because it was a product with no love put behind it, and it shows. You can't offer make a game with such a bad presentation and overall feel of a non-budget title, even if the gameplay is there. Worse, this is a Marvel .vs Capcom title we were talking about, in a time and year where Marvel was bigger than it ever was. Take Mortal Kombat 11 for example, it feels like a game with a production values so high, that even if the gameplay isn't quite there, the overall package is very good.

I really hope Capcom gets a new chance with the Marvel .vs Capcom series, we as fan deserve it, it wasn't our fault that MvCi turned out like it was. If it is not possible, then get ride of the Marvel brand and do a All-Stars .vs of Capcom characters. They have enough material to work it
The issue is that basically all fighting games are done at Division 2 these days, & I'm not sure of any instance where someone from one division jumped to help another. Likewise. as much as people hype up fighting games on the RE Engine, as interesting as it sounds, alternate costume revenue is one stream of cash that Capcom wouldn't want to close off.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how they made MVCI feel so lifeless.

Doing Wesker bnb in MVC3 was the greatest feeling in any fighting game ever. Every single button had this impact you can feel on the the screen.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I remember how hyped I was when the name was revealed, only to be disappointed by every single subsequent showing of the game. Anyone remembers the E3 presentation with the demo being released immediately after? of course not, the demo was complete garbage and must have scared a lot of potential buyers. Something that could have potentially hyped a lot of people and redeem the game ended up being almost unplayable by not allowing you to pick your characters and a terrible AI that died in a combo. What a waste of resources.

I really wanted to give the game a chance because Jedah is my favorite Darkstalkers character and I thought he would never come back, but it really felt like a terrible trade off to have him on such a flawed game. I'm still kind of interested in the game but for what it is no sale has being in the range I'm willing to pay for it.

not only that.. but do you guys remember this? this game was fucked from the start.

522463.jpg

eyoqvhxiz8kwxzvjviuf.jpg

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
When the casual or even core audiences see MVC3 as a 36 characters package that was developed from scratch, sold full price and was well worth it, it's really hard to sell them a remixed thing slapped with only 5 new characters and a bad UI. And Capcom should've seen that coming.

For me, as an X-Men fan, it was not the lack of X-Men or F4 that killed this game, it was the lack of new content. They could've introduced at least 20 new characters from the MCU alone, not even compared to the effort of base MVC3, and it would probably be successful. But they chose to include 5 and a bad Thanos and that's what they get.

If you want to sell numbers, you gotta sell artistic value, otherwise you're stuck being appreciated for you functions by a small competitive scene.

awake4ages

Neoā€¢Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Things I liked about MVCI:
-Inclusion of X
-Base gameplay

Things I hated about MVCI:
-Dogshit graphics (this was and still is my #1 complaint with the game, ESPECIALLY when directly compared to DBFZ)
-Imbalanced stone system especially with the launch version of Reality stone
-Absolutely disappointing character roster on both the Capcom and Marvel side
-Complete lack of communication from Capcom about the game post-release
-Subpar voice acting on many characters

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I remember they fixed it but that was a footnote after those initial pics making the rounds and everyone roasting it. :/

Timing was a part of it because that's when we were seeing dbzf which was this beautiful beast, somewhat in the subgenre, and with a licensed cast of characters who are at least equally adored the world over. Arc was on the up, capcom was a little on the backfoot with sfv.

And to me it seemed a bit... like everyone was so pumped for dbz that it softened the letdown that mvci would have been, and instead turned it into a bit of a laughing stock. That face became the face of a game with a kick me sign stuck to it's back.

It actually is kind of sad when you think about it. On the other hand, they got savagely shown up by arc fair and square.

It is really sad. Can only hope for 4 someday.

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's infuriating about Infinite is that I've wanted Monster Hunter to have a representative in a roster for the longest time and we get her and she's one of the most fun additions I've ever played. Then the game died. Maybe if it had gone free to play with the DLC to support it, it coulda maintained retention or something. Its just sad, cause I legit think its a fun game but I can't defend the graphics or that inexcusably bad soundtrack.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that DBZ fighters came out ate ate MvCI lunch and dinner is just amazing.

GG Capcom & Disney.

Disney have nothing to do with it. Marvel Games and Marvel Entertainment are the ones responsible for this thing. Same for the entire video game strategy.

It's not because Disney is the parent company that the things Marvel does are because of them. lol They're much more independent than let's say, Lucasfilms.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely agree on mvci's fighting system + im the type of player who cared very little about the loudest complainys about the game, such a shame lol

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Doing Wesker bnb in MVC3 was the greatest feeling in any fighting game ever. Every single button had this impact you can feel on the the screen.

For sure. It really is a massive shame. You're absolutely right, UMvV3 had such an amazing energy to it that is just fucking...gone. It's crazy how lifeless it is. Even shit like the voice acting is just worse in a lot of wayss.

UMvC3 is such a spectacular presentation piece in-game. They went from that to like the most husk-like thing ever. How. If this game literally just had the UMvC3 skin, it would be better received than it was.

Fighting game discourse has this weird morphogenetic field effect where someone somewhere will say something and the next day a billion people will echo the sentiment even if they don't actually have any reason to agree with it, it just feels right to say. If the amount of people who say 3s is their favorite game actually matched the amount of people who play 3s it would have more than one tournament a year lol.

"MvCI is rough around the edges but the core is really good!" is the new "you have to spend $150 on a fight stick to be competitive" or "complex combos and inputs are just finger puzzles that get in the way of the beautiful core of fighting games!"

Or you know people just really liked the game. If it had a presentation that compared to UMvC3 and they kept adding characters, I could've definitely seen myself playing it as long as UMvC3. It just wasn't as fun without those things. As others in the thread has said, those things actually end up being extremely important in a fighting game.

Last edited:

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Picked up the ultimate edition the other day for $49 at GameStop. Was worth it for the Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Mega Man X, and Chun Li statues alone. The game is pretty good in my opinion. It's a pretty solid fighter that's just fun to play.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I downloaded this on Windows as part of game pass but haven't tried it out yet. That being said, I'm a super casual fighter game player so I hope I can appreciate all the good things it does.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
The issue is that basically all fighting games are done at Division 2 these days, & I'm not sure of any instance where someone from one division jumped to help another. Likewise. as much as people hype up fighting games on the RE Engine, as interesting as it sounds, alternate costume revenue is one stream of cash that Capcom wouldn't want to close off.
Yeah, i mean, i don't think we need a fighting game done in the RE Engine, nor that people will care anyway. As long as it happens, i'm fine if the stick to Unreal Engine or whatever

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Has nothing to do with the timing, it just looks low budget and half assed.

It's pretty much the strongest brand in the world right now, an awesome looking Marvel fighting game would easily outsell DBZ.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It's a really excellent fighting game and the most played fighting game between me and my friends when we get together. Last Sat we were playing MKXI and someone suggested to change to MvCI and we end up playing that until it was morning.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
As a casual player, I feel like the story mode was more or less the only thing worthwhile in the game. And that all comes down to the, frankly, amazing pick of a fusion of Ultron and Sigma for the main villain. Ultron-Sigma is just a delight if you're a fan of hammy, cheesy, over-the-top villainy, and that is so very much my thing.

I mean the scene where Ultron and Sigma meet is basically them complimenting each other's code and deciding that organic life must be purged. With violence!

How can you not love a villain that hammy?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Its quite easy at least the art and visuals side if all you want to do is to make a "safe product" for the masses. They took away the distinctive look of comic book visuals, stripped out all the iconic themes from the marvel half of the cast and gave them some generic movie OST replacements, and slapped some shitty cinematic filter all over everything that made everything that looked bad look even worse.

Also didn't help that for some reason they decided the other half of the Villian boss duo would be DLC. The game is kind of repulsive in many ways with surface level issues.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The roster being small and the choice to go back to a 2v2 fighter killed any chance it had to gain a big following. It's a shame since the game is fantastic on a mechanics level, but fighters sell fighting games not mechanics.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's a combination of poor timing and good ol' Capcom incompetence/mismanagement.

Oct 25, 2017
MĆ©xico
I think one of the most perfect games to ever exist would be a Nintendo vs Capcom. Similar fighting system as the old-school Marvel vs Capcom games, but with Nintendo characters.

SN3GGBO.png

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I liked the story, but it would've been so much better with characters like Wesker, Vergil, Dr. Doom and the X-Men. Missed opportunity.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
MvCI took our cash and ran away with it. My only solace is I didnt buy the extra costumes.

They never did add X-men. Just completely frakked us over sideways and back

I eagerly await Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Hopefully these devs will have passion

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's crazy how much better the game looks if you just put the comic-line shader back on it, like MvC3 had.

ZIve67E.png

hu0EJSU.png
nded-shader.png
I honestly think something was stripped out of the game at the last minute. The game's 3D models generally take very well to stylized rendering and it feels like they were awkwardly converted to a more realistic art style later in development.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Timing wasn't the issue, disgusting art design and production value was

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I generally like the gameplay, but for me, I love MVC3's gameplay mechanics and 3vs3. It also doesn't help that the game looks like butt, and I wished they continued with the art direction they had established with MVC3/UMVC3.

It's crazy how much better the game looks if you just put the comic-line shader back on it, like MvC3 had.

ZIve67E.png

hu0EJSU.png
nded-shader.png

You wouldn't happen to have footage of this mod in action? I'm very tempted to use it myself.

...except this. MVC4 please and with an announcement of MVC2 remaster with great online on all platforms.

LOL, nice.

If given the choice, what would you like to see in a MVC4?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I generally like the gameplay, but for me, I love MVC3's gameplay mechanics and 3vs3. It also doesn't help that the game looks like butt, and I wished they continued with the art direction they had established with MVC3/UMVC3.

You wouldn't happen to have footage of this mod in action? I'm very tempted to use it myself.
See nded's stuff above. There's a LOT of videos showing off the shaders in action.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

hqdefault.jpg

LET'S FUCKING GO

WE NEED TO MAKE DREAMS HAPPEN AGAIN

Please someone bring the dreams back šŸ˜­

Last edited: