• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I don't know, if it's licensing it must be something super specific because UMVC3 is still being sold out there digitally?
MVC 3 and UMVC 3 also got delisted from PS3/360. Then they ported UMVC 3 to the PS4 and Xbox One, and that is the only version that is sold now.

They could port the PS360 port of MvC2 to the new consoles. But one of the problems is that the company who made it doesn't exist anymore (Backbone Entertainment).

OP
OP
ZeroCDR

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with that version? The main difference I remember is that they made everyone available by default.

It's got some minor bugs and differences compared to the DC version, but it's perfectly suitable for general play. It looks great and still has fantastic online.

Still, here's hoping for a new remaster sooner rather than later!

So all this is planned to build hype for a next marvel reveal at evo?

I won't put on my full tinfoil hat right now, but I do feel like a classic collection or just a new port of 2 seems likely.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
How are the japanese players in this game? Everytime I hear about MvC2 it's always JWong, Yipes and Sanford Kelly. is there any competition on the japanese side?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly lose my shit more for MVC2 Super Turbo with buffs, character additions, GGPO, Crossplay and new content more than MVC4 and I really want an MVC4 announcement someday.

Could you imagine an MVC2 where they buffed some of the cast into viability to contend with top teams? Jin had hot laundry assist as a really good tool but what if the boy actually did damage and gained some priority? What if you saw more then Ken-finites and he had good shit? What if Roll was higher than Roll tier? What if Iceman had ANOTHER super? What if other popular 90's marvel dudes who didn't make it got thrown in like Bishop, The Punisher, Carnage or Jubilee? What if you suddenly had Demitri, Q Bee or Pyron show up? What if a Red Earth and Battle Circuit rep appeared?

MVC2 Super Turbo Championship Tourney Remix edition would have me in tears of joy man. I friggin love this game and its roster. Only way some of them ever return is a port or something like what I'm daydreaming.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly lose my shit more for MVC2 Super Turbo with buffs, character additions, GGPO, Crossplay and new content more than MVC4 and I really want an MVC4 announcement someday.

Could you imagine an MVC2 where they buffed some of the cast into viability to contend with top teams? Jin had hot laundry assist as a really good tool but what if the boy actually did damage and gained some priority? What if you saw more then Ken-finites and he had good shit? What if Roll was higher than Roll tier? What if Iceman had ANOTHER super? What if other popular 90's marvel dudes who didn't make it got thrown in like Bishop, The Punisher, Carnage or Jubilee? What if you suddenly had Demitri, Q Bee or Pyron show up? What if a Red Earth and Battle Circuit rep appeared?

MVC2 Super Turbo Championship Tourney Remix edition would have me in tears of joy man. I friggin love this game and its roster. Only way some of them ever return is a port or something like what I'm daydreaming.
I gotta veto Demitri appearing. His sprite feels like its degraded even worse than Morigans! Pyron though... I'd be down for him appearing. Red Earth characters? Get as many in as possible.
Of course, Capcom won't draw new character sprites for Marvel characters though, so this'll never happen. Nice to dream though, I'd love Green Goblin/Doc Ock/Fantastic 4.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why are all the backgrounds in this game random and seemingly nothing to do with any of the characters.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
d496zmz-3fd5d756-838d-4ead-8f96-5bfff3650a0e.png

Why are all the backgrounds in this game random and seemingly nothing to do with any of the characters.

Because it's Marvel baby.

I think it's because of the sheer amount of characters that they couldn't or didn't want to do themes for each one, and so just put in jazzy music and a couple general stages. I don't think we could have handled that much awesome tbh.

Nov 27, 2017
How are the japanese players in this game? Everytime I hear about MvC2 it's always JWong, Yipes and Sanford Kelly. is there any competition on the japanese side?

There were a handful of Japanese players who came up with some cool combo video-type stuff and some interesting tech, but there weren't really any that could compete with the Americans at tournaments. At the time, people said it was because they didn't really have a connection to the Marvel characters so they never got interested in it. Not sure how accurate that is.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
There were a handful of Japanese players who came up with some cool combo video-type stuff and some interesting tech, but there weren't really any that could compete with the Americans at tournaments. At the time, people said it was because they didn't really have a connection to the Marvel characters so they never got interested in it. Not sure how accurate that is.
It's actually surprising. A Capcom game with not much japanese rep. I guess it's the same for MvC 3

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man what a time to be alive "Fuck the Knicks" is more relevant than ever before

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I wish I had bought the PS3 version when it was still available. I do own it on 360 but unfortunately, I don't own a 360 anymore. At least I have the Dreamcast version hooked up to a DCHDMI, which is beautiful but no online play makes me get disinterested after an hour or so.

I actually recently made a burnable CDI image custom music mix for the game if anyone is interested...download link in the YouTube description.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
d496zmz-3fd5d756-838d-4ead-8f96-5bfff3650a0e.png

Because it's Marvel baby.

I think it's because of the sheer amount of characters that they couldn't or didn't want to do themes for each one, and so just put in jazzy music and a couple general stages. I don't think we could have handled that much awesome tbh.

YOITHINK OF NEW YORK KNICKS

OP
OP
ZeroCDR

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I remember him. The Rocket Racoon guy. His matches were hyped

Dude came, took their money and never came back. His play was spectacular, I'll never forget that sudden anti-Phoenix tech.

It was just a totally broken port. Game didn't run at the right speed and you could do combos that didn't exist before.

Totally broken seems a bit much? I'm very happy playing this online instead of digging out the DC version and playing with... nobody. That's the first I'm hearing about speed differences though? Regardless we definitely need a new release lol

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Roster size is cool, the actual roster itself is pretty underwhelming.

Godlike fighting game nonetheless. As much as I love MvC3, I love how fuckin' grimy high level play in 2 can get. There's nothing else like it.

The gameplay is great but the roster hasn't aged very well. Either way, we seriously need a re-release.

And part of the underwhelming roster is that 43 of the characters are directly from X-Men: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men Vs. SF, MSH Vs. SF & MvC 1.

Though there's no excuse to not have a physical release of this game for Switch, Xbox One & PS4 now.

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
It would be so dope if by some miracle they would re-release MvC 2 for modern systems. I know it's not going to happen, but man... This sure would be incredible.

OP
OP
ZeroCDR

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Today marks the 20th anniversary of the US Dreamcast release.

Here's my launch copy, still looking pretty good!

7Wsy7l8_d.jpg

l9nhD4e_d.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
To this day I still wonder what they were thinking with that cover. One of the times the EU copy lucked out and got the original Japanese cover, because in a game with over 56 characters we get Guile on the cover? (Pslocke rocks, she can stay!)

But seriously, I still remember getting my copy of the game soon after my Dreamcast and then promptly spending all summer playing the game. Great times!

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Played the living shit out of this with my friends back in the day. No other VS game has ever come close.
Really excited to see it at EVO!

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I dated a girl once and gave her younger brothers the only copy of MvC2 I had for the PS2, because they had no games to play.
The only reason I kind of regret doing it is because her brothers didn't even like the game =/

raeaburame

May 9, 2019
Man, I love this game so much. Some of my earliest memories are playing this on my brothers Xbox, and I spent all of middle school playing the PS3 port. I will fly to japan and fight someone in the Capcpom office if i don't a get PS5/XSX/Switch port soon.

Oct 26, 2017
I somehow got to play this just after the JP release since I was looking for a new import and the shop had recently got it. Unfortunately having the DC version meant that I didn't bother getting the later ports.

Last time I played it was in the amazing Kawasaki Warehouse arcade. A fitting spectacular venue for a spectacular game.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Fucking baffling that a classic game like this unable to be purchased in 2020.

Man, I love this game so much. Some of my earliest memories are playing this on my brothers Xbox, and I spent all of middle school playing the PS3 port. I will fly to japan and fight someone in the Capcpom office if i don't a get PS5/XSX/Switch port soon.

Arcade 1up's bringing out some Arcade cabinets featuring the Marvel/Capcom fighting games.

Link.

If they can do that, then Capcom can surely bring out a Marvel Vs. Capcom compilation featuring X-Men: COTA, MSH, X-Men Vs. SF. MSH Vs. SF, & MvC 1, 2 & UMvC 3 on the same disc & gamecard (though both MvC 2 & UMvC 3 should be the Xbox 360 versions).

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
We need an arcade collection with the below:

- MVC 1
- MVC 2
- Xmen Vs Street Fighter
- Marvel Super heroes vs Street Fighter
- Xmen Children of the Atom
- Marvel Super Heroes

Bonus: Capcom Vs SNK 2

OP
OP
ZeroCDR

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How are there no Storm gifs in the OP
I thought I had this covered with Justin's marvelous comeback, but I've added another gif to the OP

It's the hope that kills you.
I'm on a bed of nails just waiting to see if evo is even still having the exhibition.. all for the slight chance at some news lmao

fuck necroing this thread, I hate every single one of you :(
tumblr_lwcyfv842s1qd9g7oo1_1280.png