• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing my ass off that they have the balls to say they freed MVC2.
But they have, every character available from the start…

I agree it's insane that they are claiming to have freed it. But knowing the history of John D's involvement with the game and recent partnering with Disney. It's not hard to go out on a limb and say he buttered them up with some of that sweet sweet paper, which is why it's a $100 more than the Yoga Flame SF2 cab.

It's no coincidence that they showed this off during EVO. Thus expanding the brand and that will pay off far more than just this one cab. It's a business play and a very savvy one if you ask me.

Will there be a XL or Pro model in a years time? Probably, but seeing how they only have a NBA jam cab to show thus far it's probably farther out. They seem happy with the new midway style cabs and will probably use those for a while. I'm personally a fan of the more unique cab offerings. But I'm still gonna get this cab if I can nab one.

I'm a bit worried about the emulation as the new PCB isn't as big of an upgrade as I thought it to be originally. Sure having a 2ghz quad core with 8gb of ram is a nice upgrade. But I'm not sure if other Naomi emulations will encounter issues. And we all know an Alpha cab is gotta be coming with how tight Capcom is with A1up.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
But they have, every character available from the start…

I agree it's insane that they are claiming to have freed it. But knowing the history of John D's involvement with the game and recent partnering with Disney. It's not hard to go out on a limb and say he buttered them up with some of that sweet sweet paper, which is why it's a $100 more than the Yoga Flame SF2 cab.

It's no coincidence that they showed this off during EVO. Thus expanding the brand and that will pay off far more than just this one cab. It's a business play and a very savvy one if you ask me.

Will there be a XL or Pro model in a years time? Probably, but seeing how they only have a NBA jam cab to show thus far it's probably farther out. They seem happy with the new midway style cabs and will probably use those for a while. I'm personally a fan of the more unique cab offerings. But I'm still gonna get this cab if I can nab one.

I'm a bit worried about the emulation as the new PCB isn't as big of an upgrade as I thought it to be originally. Sure having a 2ghz quad core with 8gb of ram is a nice upgrade. But I'm not sure if other Naomi emulations will encounter issues. And we all know an Alpha cab is gotta be coming with how tight Capcom is with A1up.

I'm hoping we can get a cab that has all the Alpha games and all the SF3 games in one. Probably a pipe dream, but space is limited! LOL

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Confirmed to be a limited release on Kongs-R-US's stream with John D. Set amount for retail and set amount for direct sales. They were able to make a certain number and that's it.
I don't remember which stream I heard it on, but it sounded like there was going to be an initial limited release, but then a follow up SKU later on. The demand is probably way outstripping their supply for this initial batch of machines.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember which stream I heard it on, but it sounded like there was going to be an initial limited release, but then a follow up SKU later on. The demand is probably way outstripping their supply for this initial batch of machines.
I hope they bring it to a wider release otherwise it's a pretty big slap to the face. these need to be out everywhere. I'm still hoping we get a console release for a collection like this.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm laughing my ass off that they have the balls to say they freed MVC2.
I mean it was Justin Wong who said that, but yeah it's a high hurdle to be sure.

Limited release until their next edition, have you seen how many SF2 editions there are? I know there are various MK editions. I imagine maybe a big blue or Pro edition in the future but we have no idea
It's a fair point, but this type of cabinet is basically guaranteed to be "more limited" than those because the IP holders of the games are the only ones who need to sign off on the SF2 or MK cabs whereas Marvel (that is, Disney) is much more selective about when and how they'll allow games to go out. Even though prior Marvel cabs had Capcom's Punisher arcade game on them, this one does not only because Disney didn't allow it. So it is a possibility that this is genuinely the last Marvel cab they do (sans a more full-sized one later on, but that's a different market).

Last edited:

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wants to wait for a Pro Series version like they're doing with Killer Instinct. The other part of me is still leaning towards buying this because I don't have the space for larger sized cabs, and these 3/4 scale cabinets are the right size for my place without filling up the entire house with arcade cabinets.

Last edited:

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wants to wait for a Pro Series version like they're doing with Killer Instinct. There other part of me is still leaning towards buying this because I don't have the space for larger sized cabs, and these 3/4 scale cabinets are the right size for my place without filling up the entire house with arcade cabinets.
The Pro cabs (or I guess the two "XL" cabs, since no "PRO" cab has come out yet) are in a weird spot between full-size arcade machines, which are in much more limited supply and require additional maintenance, and the 3/4 scale cabs, which thus far have had screens of variable quality and controls that are, to put it mildly, not acceptable for any serious play.

So then who is the market for these larger PRO cabs? People actually keen to open their own arcade? Probably not because the quality of the parts is likely still not up to snuff for that environment in the US. People who want more serious cabs in their own home? Probably not them either, because the 19inch monitors used in the Golden Tee XL and the NBA Jam XL were both awful and the controls were still sub-par. The NBA Jam XL is a great example too of how the scaling got messed up; the marquee is almost as large as the screen itself!

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I only have one so far (SF2) and it was one of the earlier ones. I swapped out the buttons and sticks and put in a Raspberry Pi with the ability to add scanlines which makes the games look good on that LCD screen as well as play other games on it that are stuck in licensing hell for probably forever. I'm okay swapping out the sticks/buttons on this and I've heard the screens are better than when they first started making these. Hearing about the scaling issues on their larger cabs so far is definitely pushing even more towards buying this model instead of waiting.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
When A1Up first came out with the SF2 cab I was almost convinced. I ended up just buying a full sized candy cab instead.

This though, I think I need just as a cool display piece.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. Those are exactly the games I'd want in a MvC collection. I didn't even think of Mutant Apocalypse, but now I'm expecting it for if and when a collection is released on consoles.

Namikaze

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the cabinets I've seen, this definitely seems to be one to get. I'm not totally okay with paying $600 for some roms but can't beat getting all the games. I have MVC2 on PS3 and IOS. IOS version got delisted, PS3 version is fine but I haven't played all the other games.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, a patch went up today as well so multiplayer now supports every stage. It used to only be on one stage.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Screw Arcade1up for having a stranglehold on so many historically important and beloved arcade games and seizing the preservation for said important games and locking them away behind their insane price and space demands.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the reason this is a cabinet and can't/won't be a console/pc release is these are technically classed as "toys" so the licensing is easier to work out than a re-release on multiple platforms?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I thought the reason this is a cabinet and can't/won't be a console/pc release is these are technically classed as "toys" so the licensing is easier to work out than a re-release on multiple platforms?

Yeah I thought that was the case as well. I feel like another example is Capcom's Alien vs Predator, which has only been rereleased through the Capcom Home Arcade system for now.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Screw Arcade1up for having a stranglehold on so many historically important and beloved arcade games and seizing the preservation for said important games and locking them away behind their insane price and space demands.
I get the frustration but in a world where Arcade1up didn't make this cabinet it would just mean nothing MVC2 related would be coming out instead of something. Even if they were granted some kind of veto power over new releases of the game it likely would only extend to some X amount time. Even then I suspect there's some confusion there. I doubt they have veto power over releases of the game in general but I suspect they have veto power over the specific version of the game Code Mystics made for this cabinet. So, Capcom (and Disney) couldn't just ask Code Mystics to port this version of the game to consoles without Arcade1up being involved.

So, there is different licensing stuff at play here. Don't ask me why but my understanding is licensing for this stuff is handled very differently than games. My guess is they're high price items that are actually pretty cheap to manufacture so you don't need to sell a lot of them to make good money which means there's a lot of money to go around. Licensing deals for stuff like this tend to be much more agreeable to IP holders then deals for games.

There's an extra wrinkle here though in that the guy (I forget his name) who helped Capcom make the licensing deals with Disney and Marvel in the not too distant past now works for Arcade1up and handles their IP licensing. So, he's essentially why stuff like MVC3 even exists. His involvement with the licensing of that stuff may date back even further. In fact I'm pretty sure it does but I can't remember.

Last edited: