• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Swappin buttons and sticks is literally pop out old then pop in new ones. Its super easy. No sodder. Just plug n go. Done it a ton on sticks and cabinets ive made for pi and other stuff so no fear should be held for that.

All buttons and sticks will eventually wear out and need swapped someday anyhow so worryin bout changing buttons or a stick at some point is like complainin bout lamps needing light bulbs these days. Its literally that easy. Imean donyou really think the mvc2 cabs you see left at rare arcades are og parts playing smoothly? Naw those wear out and get dwapped all the time on cabs and sticks. You somehow messup which button was heavy kick or somethin just unplug the wore and connect it to the right one.

I just eant specifics on what wifi means. Do these have netplay or somethin?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I was hyped until I realised it wasn't a console release

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Swappin buttons and sticks is literally pop out old then pop in new ones. Its super easy. No sodder. Just plug n go. Done it a ton on sticks and cabinets ive made for pi and other stuff so no fear should be held for that.

All buttons and sticks will eventually wear out and need swapped someday anyhow so worryin bout changing buttons or a stick at some point is like complainin bout lamps needing light bulbs these days. Its literally that easy. Imean donyou really think the mvc2 cabs you see left at rare arcades are og parts playing smoothly? Naw those wear out and get dwapped all the time on cabs and sticks. You somehow messup which button was heavy kick or somethin just unplug the wore and connect it to the right one.

I just eant specifics on what wifi means. Do these have netplay or somethin?
Yeah. They have netplay with other cabs. Apparently with rollback netcode and they have Ethernet ports, I believe.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
wasn't there news this would have a downgraded screen comparative to the last gen while being more expensive?
I doubt it, there's already a video of one of the youtubers that cover these things a lot building one and they make a point to show the display is one of the better ones. Keep in mind the controversy is basically all IPS vs. TN, so anything about resolution and aspect ratio is largely ignored.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
wasn't there news this would have a downgraded screen comparative to the last gen while being more expensive?
MK 30th has one of these screens. But they already went back to BOE screens with the SF2 yoga flame, and it sounds like they'll keep using BOE screens moving forward. They Are trying to get a manufacturer for their 19 inch pro line but haven't been able to get quality screens for those which explains the delays for those cabs.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Y'know, with the increased processing power required to play MvC2 it would have been nice to see other Capcom NAOMI system games packed in, though I understand that would be kind of awkward considering the theming.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I instantly got excited but I don't know how I feel about it @ $600. I mean, I know they raised prices because of the pandemic but that's more than the MvC cabinet I brought that has a light-up deck and stool. And I actually would like the have another stool because my then-toddler tore the vinyl or whatever material it is on mine up. I mean, I still want this, but it being that expensive and only including the rider is a bit tough to swallow.
Yea I don't really understand why this doesn't have the nice light up deck and such. At this price it seems like those features would still be present.
I doubt it, there's already a video of one of the youtubers that cover these things a lot building one and they make a point to show the display is one of the better ones. Keep in mind the controversy is basically all IPS vs. TN, so anything about resolution and aspect ratio is largely ignored.
We'll TN colors are pretty garbage so I wouldn't be a fan of that. What type is the BOE screen?

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
The version that was taken off digital storefronts, and can no longer be purchased by anyone else who doesn't have it, and isn't backwards compatible? Yes, that one.
it's not just that, I can't recall the last time X-Men CoTA was available after Ps1 /Saturn. I bought the countertop arcade with Marvel 1 and XvSF, but THIS set is pretty much what I've been wanting (counter top), and I'm not about to by a PC for MAME.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
it's not just that, I can't recall the last time X-Men CoTA was available after Ps1 /Saturn. I bought the countertop arcade with Marvel 1 and XvSF, but THIS set is pretty much what I've been wanting (counter top), and I'm not about to by a PC for MAME.
Aside a PC release, I cant recall COTA ever getting any other port. Likewise for X-Men and MSH Vs SF - ports to PS and Saturn at the time, nothing else aside from expensive (and big) cabs. These games are just begging for proper modern ports...

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

Not true. I'm most instances the stick's base needs to be cut with a Dremel so it can fit.

If someone has not modded before, replacing sticks and buttons will cost an additional 200 to 300 dollars, after adding up the price of parts and tools.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing holding me back on this is the possibility of an MvC2 XL cabinet coming sometime next year.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I don't really understand why this doesn't have the nice light up deck and such. At this price it seems like those features would still be present.

We'll TN colors are pretty garbage so I wouldn't be a fan of that. What type is the BOE screen?
BOE's are supposed to be IPS, though I think even they've snuck some TN screens in. I get the impression Arcade1up is watching for that now though. So far, the MvC2 cabs that have gotten previewed are IPS screens.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I don't see it bombing like the others since people are thirsty AF for MvC2 in any shape or form. Hope I'm wrong though

yeah, i agree. the original mvc cab from a1up hardly went on sale and never at steep discounts. the only chance of steep discounts is if a1up massively overestimates demand and produces way too many. i'd imagine they are pretty good at forecasting at this point though.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's missing Punisher.

But that is a pretty complete collection - both SNES games. Wish it would hit consoles.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Y'know, with the increased processing power required to play MvC2 it would have been nice to see other Capcom NAOMI system games packed in, though I understand that would be kind of awkward considering the theming.

It kinda sucks that Capcom hasn't gotten any in-house teams to the point where they emulate Naomi or ZN2, but it seems like a guarantee that Arcade1up will be getting games like rival schools, plasma sword, power stone, SFZ3upper long long before consoles, if consoles get them at all.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
I'd love to be excited about this but the chances of it coming to the UK are slim. We only seem to have got Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 and some more arcade classic-y things like Pacman

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Not true. I'm most instances the stick's base needs to be cut with a Dremel so it can fit.

If someone has not modded before, replacing sticks and buttons will cost an additional 200 to 300 dollars, after adding up the price of parts and tools.
The hell kinda weird math makes 300 dollars? Ive made entire cabs for that.

You can get 6 sanwa buttons for around $18 and a stick for $30. Sticks have 8 holes on their mounting plate sonthey can generally slot or screw to about anyset of screw holes your old stick had and all sticks have their wire plugs with them incase its a different pin setup. Even still those cables are maybe $5 online to get more of. Button wires are similarly cheap and no i dont mean $5 for each button I mean q whole bag of cable to finish all the buttons is usually cheap.

Keep your boogieman stories away from me. I been doin this since marvel 3 first launched and Ive never had buttons and a stick swap cost anythingnclose to that 200 or 300 even if I bought a pcb for it.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
If there's a cabinet what buyers would be willing to shell out for a "Pro" version, it would be this one. Hopefully they offer a version akin to the KI pro version, but with All Sanwa parts.

I personally feel like the #FreeMvC2 movement won't be truly appeased though until there's a legitimate home release of the MvC collection. You'd think that Marvel would be itching to have a re-release, or even a new version of MvC, with them pushing the X-men animated series again on Disney Plus, and the with the upcoming X-men '97 follow-up.

nawtt

Nov 7, 2017
Anyone know if MvC3 is still well-populated on PSN? Noticed it's on sale right now

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I personally feel like the #FreeMvC2 movement won't be truly appeased though until there's a legitimate home release of the MvC collection. You'd think that Marvel would be itching to have a re-release, or even a new version of MvC, with them pushing the X-men animated series again on Disney Plus, and the with the upcoming X-men '97 follow-up.
Well, yeah. Not everyone has or wants to spend 600 dollars for MVC2.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly with a lot of these things unless buttons are stickin or the springs wore out and theyre inputting when they shouldnt Ive always felt the degree to which people demonize the hardware is overplayed. Usually the action on the buttons is just a little higher or they have a slight bit of looseness to them compared to a normal sanwa button which is completely playable. Never really noticed input delays on sticks. Most of these cabs use better hardware than the og they were based on back in the day tbh. If youre fine with gear like that you can get those kits with 16 buttons wires and 2 sticks for 20 by the pile and just keep swappin em as springs wear out or the occassional button sticks. Seen a lot do that. Honestly the sticks arent too bad in many of em. No input delay but some dont snap to neutral as hard or feel as clean so i would go for a sanwa stick at minimal even if buttons are fine for you bein less than absolute optimum as I described.

Good kit cabs. Plus you can easily shove a raspberry Pi in these setups too which many buy up less popular models just to do and mod into retropi setups. They upgrade very easily. Im lookin at that Marvel Super Heroes tabletop cab that just went on sale and several ebay relistings that are marked down to potentially house some projects and use up some spare gear I got. After awhile you just end up with tons of buttons or spare pcb from old sticks youve gutted to do things with.

Last edited:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The hell kinda weird math makes 300 dollars? Ive made entire cabs for that.

You can get 6 sanwa buttons for around $18 and a stick for $30. Sticks have 8 holes on their mounting plate sonthey can generally slot or screw to about anyset of screw holes your old stick had and all sticks have their wire plugs with them incase its a different pin setup. Even still those cables are maybe $5 online to get more of. Button wires are similarly cheap and no i dont mean $5 for each button I mean q whole bag of cable to finish all the buttons is usually cheap.

Keep your boogieman stories away from me. I been doin this since marvel 3 first launched and Ive never had buttons and a stick swap cost anythingnclose to that 200 or 300 even if I bought a pcb for it.

For my first modding project I purchased the following:

60 for Happ sticks and buttons from tornado terry
95 for a good Dremel
10 for the correct Dremel discs for cutting plastic
10 to 20 on arcade button wires
20 for a good wire cutter
10 for terminals
30 for various screws and washers

That is approximately $244.00 dollars plus tax ($19.50

And for this tone and nasty attitude I'm adding you to my ignore list.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in hearing more about the screen being low. Do you own any other cabinets you can compare the screen level to?
Well, to be clear, I can't do any direct comparisons to full-size American style cabinets as I don't own any, I'm just referencing my experience of playing them in the past; I do own a couple full-size Japanese cabinets made by Namco and Taito, but those are sit-down style. In any case, the screen of the game you're playing should probably be closer to eye level (in my opinion). This is still the best iteration of cabinet Arcade1Up's ever made, though.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
For my first modding project I purchased the following:

60 for Happ sticks and buttons from tornado terry
95 for a good Dremel
10 for the correct Dremel discs for cutting plastic
10 to 20 on arcade button wires
20 for a good wire cutter
10 for terminals
30 for various screws and washers

That is approximately $244.00 dollars plus tax ($19.50

And for this tone and nasty attitude I'm adding you to my ignore list.
Lol. Not gonna apologise for bringing you my receipts. Your quoted cost to mod a cab with new stick and buttons was more than some of the arcade 1up cabs themself.
It aint hard to do nor a bank breaker.
GG

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a cabinet what buyers would be willing to shell out for a "Pro" version, it would be this one. Hopefully they offer a version akin to the KI pro version, but with All Sanwa parts.

At this point, Marvel perhaps is looking to see how the arcade re-release fares before committing to console and PC ports. Much like Konami being cool with reviving ninja turtles for home, suddenly after 20 years.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Not gonna apologise for bringing you my receipts. Your quoted cost to mod a cab with new stick and buttons was more than some of the arcade 1up cabs themself.
It aint hard to do nor a bank breaker.
GG
While I appreciate the argument of "what's the point in buying the cabinet if you have to break the bank to mod it", there are precisely zero 3/4th scale cabinets that you will find for less than $300, let alone $250 unless they're 4 years old and you're replacing not just the parts but adding a PC on top of it. If you're just swapping buttons or monitors on these newer cabs you really only need a screwdriver.

And to Carnby, I think it's probably hard to know what to buy when you first mod a thing (certainly was for me at least), but you probably only needed to spend half that, if not less. Everyone does it differently of course, but I'm just saying you can upgrade the controls on a cabinet for less than $100.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
And to Carnby, I think it's probably hard to know what to buy when you first mod a thing (certainly was for me at least), but you probably only needed to spend half that, if not less. Everyone does it differently of course, but I'm just saying you can upgrade the controls on a cabinet for less than $100.

Sure! Once you have all the tools you need it's a lot less expensive.

But I disagree that the tools were not needed. The Happ sticks do not fit in Arcade1up cabinets without a Dremel. And a good crimper and wire cutter is a must. I followed this video to upgrade my KI cabinet.

View: https://youtu.be/NLzq-DZ1Q_E
The video description even provides links to all the parts that are required.

Here's the sticks I bought. Their colors are specific to the Killer Instinct cabinet.

Going forward replacing sticks will be much cheaper because I already have the tools I need. I bought these for when I get an MK cabinet.

Btw I appreciate that your not being toxic about this, so I'm happy to hear your more of your opinion. Toxic modders can go touch grass.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Sure! Once you have all the tools you need it's a lot less expensive.

But I disagree that the tools were not needed. The Happ sticks do not fit in Arcade1up cabinets without a Dremel. And a good crimper and wire cutter is a must. I followed this video to upgrade my KI cabinet.

View: https://youtu.be/NLzq-DZ1Q_E
The video description even provides links to all the parts that are required.

Here's the sticks I bought. Their colors are specific to the Killer Instinct cabinet.

Going forward replacing sticks will be much cheaper because I already have the tools I need. I bought these for when I get an MK cabinet.

Btw I appreciate that your not being toxic about this, so I'm happy to hear your more of your opinion. Toxic modders can go touch grass.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I prefer IL Eurosticks in my cabs and you have definitely had to dremel away some of the base plate in order to get them in the stock control decks due to how close the buttons are to the stick.

Having said that, I believe this new cab design that MvC2 has (and first appeared with the MK 30th edition) has a larger control panel and you can now install HAPP or IL sticks without having to cut away any of the base plate. If someone is looking to install Sanwa sticks, those have always been easy to install without any kind of modification to the joystick. And of course, swapping the buttons/switches has always been super easy on these things.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, Marvel perhaps is looking to see how the arcade re-release fares before committing to console and PC ports. Much like Konami being cool with reviving ninja turtles for home, suddenly after 20 years.
They certainly will be gauging response, but even if they might be game for a console release a lot of things would have to align in terms of licensing and IPs that pertain to "video game software" products versus standalone "toys/collectibles" that 1ups can skirt.

For example other publishers working on Marvel video games might have certain exclusivity windows on games featuring certain characters or branding preventing such a collection.

Different IPs, but same idea for Alien vs Predator. The companies making that recent Aliens game and the Predator game might have a license exclusivity window for video game software, but Capcom's all-in one joystick thing is likely considered a different type of product, and why it was available that way.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Confirmed to be a limited release on Kongs-R-US's stream with John D. Set amount for retail and set amount for direct sales. They were able to make a certain number and that's it.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with what you are saying. I prefer IL Eurosticks in my cabs and you have definitely had to dremel away some of the base plate in order to get them in the stock control decks due to how close the buttons are to the stick.

Having said that, I believe this new cab design that MvC2 has (and first appeared with the MK 30th edition) has a larger control panel and you can now install HAPP or IL sticks without having to cut away any of the base plate. If someone is looking to install Sanwa sticks, those have always been easy to install without any kind of modification to the joystick. And of course, swapping the buttons/switches has always been super easy on these things.

Cool! That's good news because it seems this is the cabinet shape A1U will be using for fighting games for a while.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Was really hopin the evo capcom announcements were gonna include a digital collection of all these games. Oh well. Least theyre back in some form.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
If someone is looking to install Sanwa sticks, those have always been easy to install without any kind of modification to the joystick. And of course, swapping the buttons/switches has always been super easy on these things.

This is what I was referring to, mainly. If you're fine with Sanwa sticks and Happ buttons, then really all you need is a screwdriver and a hair dryer; I recently modded my MK 30th with a Sanwa JLF and Happ buttons with microswitches. Not 100% American arcade accurate to be sure, but I have Japanese cabinets as well and I prefer the sticks on fighting games to feel similar.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed to be a limited release on Kongs-R-US's stream with John D. Set amount for retail and set amount for direct sales. They were able to make a certain number and that's it.
Limited release until their next edition, have you seen how many SF2 editions there are? I know there are various MK editions. I imagine maybe a big blue or Pro edition in the future but we have no idea

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm laughing my ass off that they have the balls to say they freed MVC2.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Heh. We #FREEDMVC2 but you better pre-order this $600 cab asap because it's suuuuuper limited ;)))))!!

I've thought about it all weekend and I'll take my chances on a clearance sale or a future premium model. I don't buy that this will be their only release, and if it is I'll be in the same boat whether I have it or not, still waiting for an easily accessible and populated online experience.