• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avengers or X-Men?

• Avengers

Votes: 58 28.2%
  • X-Men

Votes: 148 71.8%

• Total voters

astro

Oct 25, 2017
X-Men.

Avengers will only win becaus of the MCU and bad X-Men films.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
X-Men.

gambitfeat1.png

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up on X men, X men also had more to say on a general basis, so that's my choice. I have no doing that avengers is the bigger property now and will get more attention since it's the center piece to the last decade of the marvel movie universe though.

No hate on that, they earned it.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer the ensemble style of the Avengers across the runs.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. I think that's a concept they've started to address in more recent stories. I stopped reading for a long time, but they're still my favorite Marvel team/series.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
X-Men -- there's something special about the mutie bond, even some of the bad guys are kind of bros

Oct 25, 2017
I would have gone with Avengers if you asked me last year, but right now we're Dawn of X baybee so got to go with X-Men

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
X-men has the better team while Avengers has the better individuals (Spidey, Cap). Based on comics I pick X-men but the MCU really bumped up the popularity of the Avengers.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that Beast on the avengers side?

Even more reason to pick the xmen. What a turd.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that's why X-Men doesn't quite work for me. It's so vast that it feels at conflict with the rest of the Marvel universe. Like, how can this many mutants exist and not be involved in every single Marvel story line.
That's the thing, a lot of mutants are. There's plenty of mutants not even regularly associated with the X-Men. Daredevil's Typhoid Mary is a mutant, Avengers villain Whirlwind is a mutant. Before being retconned because of the show, Quake/Daisy Johnson was a mutant. Of course, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were mutants before all of the rights bullshit (and need to return to being mutants ASAP),.

And given the flexibility of it, any supervillain that hasn't already been specified as being an alien, powered by magic, or a genetic experiment is likely a mutant if they have superpowers.

And usually, big Marvel stories tend to feature the mutants in them. The real disconnect comes in when the X-Men do some shit and the Avengers aren't in the background at the very least.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer Avengers due to its wider breadth. The singular focus on mutants, especially in recent years, often carries with it a pretty negative message about humanity in general, which I generally dislike.

I guess that's why X-Men doesn't quite work for me. It's so vast that it feels at conflict with the rest of the Marvel universe. Like, how can this many mutants exist and not be involved in every single Marvel story line.
The X-Men used to be pretty involved with Marvel outside of their stories (or bringing the rest of Marvel to their stories), it was only in the 00s after decimation that they strongly split into their own thing, likely inspired by the movies, with the few times the rest of Marvel is brought up being just to show them as jerks or call them out on not being involved with the X storylines. They still pop up in non-X events though.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The X-Men are an actual team with a point of commonality that gives the entire team a through-line and coherent narrative. The Avengers are, at best, an ensemble cast where characters get wildly differing levels of narrative focus and often have little or nothing to do with the larger "team" story.

The MCU only makes the Avengers work because it basically conflates "The Avengers" with "Literally The Entire Marvel Universe".

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Both are great.

But I'm sorry but the MCU has spoiled me despite growing up with old school X-men.

So my vote goes to Avengers.

Edit: Kinda funny cause I was so into Spiderman and X-Men but had no clue about Captain America, Iron Man or Thor in the 1990s/early 2000s but after watching MCU movies - completely turned around.

(Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed FOX-men - just not as much as MCU Avengers).

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The X-Men used to be pretty involved with Marvel outside of their stories (or bringing the rest of Marvel to their stories), it was only in the 00s after decimation that they strongly split into their own thing, likely inspired by the movies, with the few times the rest of Marvel is brought up being just to show them as jerks or call them out on not being involved with the X storylines. They still pop up in non-X events though.

I feel like Grant Morrison solved this problem but as soon as he was off the books EVERYONE CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up reading X-Men. The Chris Claremont and Grant Morrison books were my introduction to comics. (Weird introduction. I was reading old Chris Claremont paperbacks while reading the current Morrison issues.) So they will always have a place in my heart.

I honestly never really branched into The Avengers. They seemed to have less female characters I was interested in.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
If you would have asked me in the 90s I would have answered X-Men without hesitation. I used to play X-Men on the playground, and I still remember who got to be Rogue's boyfriend. Watched the 90s cartoon, played the hell out of the arcade game, etc. I was a pretty big fan all the through Ultimate X-Men.

But now, it's Avengers all the way. Starting with the New Avengers comic line, and then all the MCU stuff.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are complaining about the amount of X-Men, which I get, but who are even in the Avengers at any given time? They have so many cast changes and off shoots I have no idea what "Avengers" even refers to in this poll.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Mutants can be in the Avengers but average heroes can't be in the X-Men so Avengers win because they're more accepting of all people.