• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
So much hate for this haircut! I've had this haircut a few times. XD

I'm pretty excited about this!

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Nothin' beats the hobo life, stabbin' folks with my hobo knife.

I don't have any issues with the design. I wish I could pull off that haircut and overalls, but the baggy early TLC ones.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most interesting thing for me here is the idea that certain groups in the modern day would want to be Captain America other than Rogers & then a few racists.

(Especially based on the reaction to the flag tattoo in this thread.)

I think this - and Falcon/Winter Soldier - will be super interesting in how it tackles what modern-day patriotism looks like from sexual/racial minorities.

I'll probably pick up this book solely out of interest there.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing that bothers me about his design is he dresses like a train runaway but has piercings like a Brooklyn hipster. Then again I don't interact with train homeless much so maybe this is just how they dress. The septum strikes me as a health hazard for the train life. Gets caught on things or gets dirty.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this similar to how America Chavez (aka Miss America) was created? She's a Latin-American lesbian raised by 2 mothers.

latest

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
Meh, not my favorite design but cant complain about more "representation". How long until an animated superhero show with a gay lead though?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Because we have a surplus of the former and a deficit for the latter.

There's a difference between loud and proud and campy stereotype.

We've got a surplus of the latter, lot of LGBT folks I've seen want way more of the former. They'd like someone to be LGBT without having to covert suitcase it by.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
There's a difference between loud and proud and campy stereotype.

We've got a surplus of the latter, lot of LGBT folks I've seen want way more of the former. They'd like someone to be LGBT without having to covert suitcase it by.
That's not what I mean. You don't understand, and that's fine.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is Harley a superhero? I thought she was a supervillain, well I'm not the most up to date so sorry about it haha
And She-Ra is not what I'd call a superhero, not in the traditional sense at least, same way I dont really see he-man as a superhero.
Harley is certainly the protagonist in her show, but yeah not a clear hero. They cover the Harley/Ivy relationship with tact and grace in an otherwise untactful show.

She-Ra and He-man are just Shazam variants, certainly a superhero by some standards. The new She-Ra show isn't as explicit about the leads relationship for a while, but it makes for good storytelling.

I am heartened at the number of supernumerary LGBT characters in recent shows.

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Of course, and that group gets a lot more representation than the other group. I would like to be represented somewhat as well.
Again, where are you seeing this? How many overtly queer characters can you think of that aren't a stereotype? Corporations like Disney almost always make gay characters as "straight-acting" as possible to avoid offending the straights.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, where are you seeing this? How many overtly queer characters can you think of that aren't a stereotype? Corporations like Disney almost always make gay characters as "straight-acting" as possible to avoid offending the straights.

I wasn't talking about Disney but media in general. The only gay Disney character I can think of is Le Fou and that was done horribly. Disney is in it for virtue signaling.

There's a lot more between queer and "straight acting" (really hate this word BTW because there's no such thing) but we barely see that in media.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I don't flat out despise the look, but I'm not in love with it. I think it's mostly the flag tattoo rubbing me the wrong way.

Aar-on Fish'
the rail-way Cap
the Cap
of the
rail
way
traaaaaaaaaaaaaaain

Editor: "Make sure his name doesn't have three syllables"

Writer: "Why"

Editor: "Trust me..."

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Since Marvel tends to be bad about pushing multiple teen characters at the same time, I guess that's it for the Patriot character Nick Spencer created.

I hope the character succeeds and is embraced but I also can't help but feel like it seems like every creator is trying to get their "young new hero" out the door.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice thought I guess... But let's be honest - this is a character we will never see again after this one issue, so who cares?

Oct 30, 2017
Everything makes me optimistic except the flag tattoo.
I understand the point of it, but no street kid I ever knew would've had just a regular old patriotic flag.

A minor quibble.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
His design makes sense since it seems like he's a street kid, so of course he's not gonna have some special suit like Sam or Steve. I'm sure eventually he'll get his own special outfit.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Which reminds me; she needs more attention

But I'm with the other people expecting a Young Avengers show on D+

Could be either show or movie. America will debut in DS2 and Stature as a hero proper in Ant-Man 3, while Kate, Eli, Billy and Tommy are all introed in shows. There's also Kamala and Riri, but who knows about them since they're not really part of the roster in the comics.

Meh, not my favorite design but cant complain about more "representation". How long until an animated superhero show with a gay lead though?

Steven Universe kinda sorta. Pearl, Ruby and Sapphire are major supporting characters, but they're basically leads. But yeah, title lead? Only Shera, I guess.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
In what world would a rebellious hobo twink have an American flag tattoo? I don't remember the AIDS crisis making the gays all that patriotic.

I know plenty of marginalized people who celebrate the ideals of the US even as the country fails to uphold them. I personally have a lot to criticize but I also enjoy amd recognize that even in the rural South, it wasn't illegal for me to exist like it can be in other places.

Don't really care what straight people think of him lol

Well said

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea, and the character looks pretty neat. I'll be really intrigued to see how his storyline goes!

I also agree with the sentiment that I don't think a queer character being a bit more flamboyantly dressed and styled is a bad thing. I like his look here. I get the anxiety about campy stereotypes, and there's validity to queer characters not needing to be more flashy. But honestly I feel like the thing I've seen more of than anything in mainstream media lately is queer rep that amounts to an off-hand comment about a guy dating another man, or a woman talking about her girlfriend. There's a *lot* to the queer community that is about embracing and loving that unique style and panache (it's a part of that culture that I came to really appreciate and found a lot of comfort in as a queer guy), and also delving more into queer relationships besides just "it's just straight relationship but gay" because gay relationships can also carry their own unique idiosyncrasies and culturally-imbued baggage. Queer culture -in much of its flashiness- is a real thing, and a source of solidarity, belonging, and comfort to tons of people including myself. I'd like to see more stories have the boldness and courage to tell those stories in addition to the cases that that just swap the gender of an off-screen spouse or put a pride pin on someone's shirt.

And now that I write that all out I do suspect that superhero comics may not be the place to pin those hopes and dreams. But hey I hope this is a cool story and character.