• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
at least we can all agree on one thing - god damn these vaiants look good

HOUSEOFX2019001--Checchetto-character-decades-var.jpg
POWERSOFX2019001-Cassara-character-decades-var.jpg

POWERSOFX2019001-Huddleston-var.jpg
HOUSEOFX2019001-Madureira-var.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few nods to SHIELD in Hickman's run later on. Secret Warriors doesn't really matter to his overall plot, but it's really good so you should read it anyway

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
His Ultimate work is good, and was a nice breath of fresh air for that line after Loeb did his best to run it into the ground. But I don't know if I'd say it was essential and if anything it might be distracting in seeing how Hickman treated it as his sort of his rough draft for what'd he do in the Marvel Universe proper.

Also hard for me to see SHIELD as essential given it was unfinished for so long. And again, it may feel slightly repetitive of the tone and approach he applies to his Avengers run.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
His Ultimate work is good, and was a nice breath of fresh air for that line after Loeb did his best to run it into the ground. But I don't know if I'd say it was essential and if anything it might be distracting in seeing how Hickman treated it as his sort of his rough draft for what'd he do in the Marvel Universe proper.

Also hard for me to see SHIELD as essential given it was unfinished for so long. And again, it may feel slightly repetitive of the tone and approach he applies to his Avengers run.

I think at least the Ultimate Maker stuff should be read.

I also feel like SHIELD does repeat a lot of the ideas you see in both F4 and Avengers - you are right - but the inclusion of Nathaniel makes me feel like it adds to F4.

Oct 25, 2017
I think at least the Ultimate Maker stuff should be read.

I also feel like SHIELD does repeat a lot of the ideas you see in both F4 and Avengers - you are right - but the inclusion of Nathaniel makes me feel like it adds to F4.

There's a bunch of fun little nods to Shield later in his run too. It's nothing insane, but you do have some fun stuff like the Illuminati using the underground city as a hideout when they're on the run from Cap in his Avengers/New Avengers run and Tesla and Nostradamus being in the Future Foundation in Secret Wars.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It was such a shame his Ultimates run was cut so short. He basically got to do only 9 issues and then with #10--12 Sam Humphries undid everything Hickman was trying to do with Ultimate Reed. And then Hickman just ignored that shit in his Avengers run when he brought back evil Reed lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Hickman's Ultimates. Kinda surprised they didnt just throw it in the Hickman Avengers Omnis since it was so short, but they didnt include Secret Wars either.

I had only read the first Millar Ultimates, so a lot of it was new to me at the time. I really enjoyed the stuff with The Maker, but even more so the Ultimate X-Men. Xorn and Zorn were so cool lol, way more interesting than the 616 Xorn.

I will say though that for anyone thinking about reading Hickman's Marvel work before the X-Men launch, read his Fantastic Four before just jumping into his Avengers work. Secret Warriors was awesome, but his FF is by far his best work at Marvel, and it sets up A Ton of stuff that doesnt get paid off until the very end of his Avengers and even Secret Wars.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Anyone else doing any reading ahead of Hickman's #1?

I'm checking out mutants from around the universe and reading classics I never got around to:

New Mutants: Demon Bear Saga & Wells' run were both real treats. Deep horror roots, with some dope DOOM (2016) vibes too.

X-Factor: Peter David's later run. Been listening to a lot of noir jazz while reading - love the rainy, NYC atmosphere.

Carey's X-Men: I read this ages ago but forgot it all. It's next on my list.

Aaron's Amazing X-Men: Never read it, but it looks like a fun 6 issue run.

Excalibur: I don't know what to check out here. Might do a few issues of the OG Claremont run, and a few of Alan Davis run as well.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else doing any reading ahead of Hickman's #1?

I'm checking out mutants from around the universe and reading classics I never got around to:

New Mutants: Demon Bear Saga & Wells' run were both real treats. Deep horror roots, with some dope DOOM (2016) vibes too.

X-Factor: Peter David's later run. Been listening to a lot of noir jazz while reading - love the rainy, NYC atmosphere.

Carey's X-Men: I read this ages ago but forgot it all. It's next on my list.

Aaron's Amazing X-Men: Never read it, but it looks like a fun 6 issue run.

Excalibur: I don't know what to check out here. Might do a few issues of the OG Claremont run, and a few of Alan Davis run as well.
Yea, ive been doing some reading myself before his stuff starts up.

I just finished the Phalanx crossover, and started Generation X. Trying to get through AoA and Onslaught, at least before Summer break is over lol.

The first part of the Phalanx was awesome. The stuff that basically sets up the new kids and Generation X, think it was called Generation Next. I really love the art from late 90s Marvel, especially the X-Men.

Really interested in some of the books that followed Onslaught, and Heroes Return. Stuff like Waid's Captain America, Fantastic Four, and Busiek's Avengers. But im focusing on X-Men for the time being.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with this, I don't like prequels and since the older cast seems to be gone I'm fine with them closing X Men and rebooting years down the line.

I fear the Marvel timeline is about to go the same way with a huge change coming

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man, I wish I knew what was going on with these mash ups.

There is no time travel or alternate dimensions, so is this just a glimpse into the "one true" x-men future?

Son of Polaris maybe?

D8VKGbtVsAA9cse.jpg:large

I'm ok with this, I don't like prequels and since the older cast seems to be gone I'm fine with them closing X Men and rebooting years down the line.

I fear the Marvel timeline is about to go the same way with a huge change coming

i think you are in the wrong thread

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't read any X books in years, who are they? What would I read to learn more? Or should I just wait for Based Hickman to blow my mind?
Generation X! They were introduced in a quick crossover called the Phalanx Covenant Generation Next, which sets up the Generation X book.

kazamatsuri

Behind the Scenes at Epic
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Strangely enough when I had Marvel Unlimited I don't think Generation X was on there. Hopefully it's been added.
Only the first like 10 and its a huge bummer. Pretty much only the issues in the two Classic tpbs. I had to buy them all on CMX individually while the 50% off sale was going. Would love to have an Omni for it, at least for the Lobdell issues. Been thinking about buying them all on eBay and just getting them custom bound. Just never done it before and I havent read the series past those 2 tpbs, so im not sure if its worth it yet.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
As someone who hasn't read any X books in years, who are they? What would I read to learn more? Or should I just wait for Based Hickman to blow my mind?
Monet is basically Mutant Superwoman. Also known as M. She's cocky as hell and her confidence is probably only exceeded by Emma Frost.
Husk can shed her skin to change into other forms - earth, metal, energy, etc. She's also the sister of Cannonball, who Hickman featured heavily in his Avengers run.

I have a feeling Husk might be a big deal considering her inconsistent but various matter/energy transforming abilities and Hickman talking about the Kardashev scale.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
So happy to see Monet (and Husk!) <3

I've been reading Brubaker's Uncanny run and it's honestly pretty solid! I love Brubaker though. He could probably write the phone book and I'd read it haha.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OK one more time - who do we got?

the cuckoos
orroro
jean
warren
hank
scott
creed
erik
logan
kurt
bobby
dani? sam guthrie?

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTcvNzQ5L29yaWdpbmFsL3Jzel9wb3g0NS5qcGc=

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really tempted to sign back up to MU(its been years), but I hated the desktop experience. Has it improved at all?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argh, I signed up for MU again, and for some reason Secret Warriors #1 isn't available. It's listed as available but won't let me read it. And its literally impossible to find anything by searching on this damn site.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't seen characters like Rogue, Gambit or Psylocke featured on the covers...

I hope that they don't go to limbo.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Argh, I signed up for MU again, and for some reason Secret Warriors #1 isn't available. It's listed as available but won't let me read it. And its literally impossible to find anything by searching on this damn site.
I absolutely HATE the MU app design lol. It can be such a pain to find stuff, but I have found using the website to be easier than the app sometimes. Heres a link to the entire Secret Warriors by Hickman which has the first issue for MU:

Not sure if your following a reading order or anything, but Secret Warriors spins out from Secret Invasion. There are 2 other issues outside of the actual book that are worth reading. Dark Reign: New Nation #1 has a Secret Warriors setup story in it that comes right before #1, and then Dark Reign: The List - Secret Warriors should be read inbetween issue #9 and #10. Links included to help just in case.

Hope this helps

Btw, heres the reading order I was using to find these. I read this in the complete collections at the time so it was easier to follow.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely HATE the MU app design lol. It can be such a pain to find stuff, but I have found using the website to be easier than the app sometimes. Heres a link to the entire Secret Warriors by Hickman which has the first issue for MU:

Not sure if your following a reading order or anything, but Secret Warriors spins out from Secret Invasion. There are 2 other issues outside of the actual book that are worth reading. Dark Reign: New Nation #1 has a Secret Warriors setup story in it that comes right before #1, and then Dark Reign: The List - Secret Warriors should be read inbetween issue #9 and #10. Links included to help just in case.

Hope this helps
My problem is that SW #1 is "available" but when you click the comic, it only allows you to purchase it. I'm sure its just a glitch, but still. This is akin to buying a sub to Netflix and having ep 1 of Daredevil available for 1.99. I did find out that if you click BELOW the comic on that one "read now", it is readable, but every other issue is readable both ways. Completely inept.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Well thanks for looking, I feel like ive seen that face before, but it mightve just been from these promos.